• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 851 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 851

Morning Coffee

“Hey Daniel.”

“...hey Vinyl, what’s up?”

Vinyl slumped into the booth opposite of me, a red hoodie covering her upper body.

“I need coffee,” she told me, rubbing her temples with her hooves.

“Long night?” I asked.

“...more like early morning. I woke up at five thirty today and couldn’t get back to sleep,” she groaned through her sleeves. I made eye contact with the waitress for my table and waved her over.

“Well that doesn’t sound like fun,” I smirked.

“Good morning, what’cha having?” the waitress asked Vinyl.

“Coffee, black, please,”

“You got it, anything else?” she asked. Vinyl shook her head, and the waitress nodded, walking back to get her coffee.

“I don’t get ponies like that,” Vinyl thought aloud once the waitress couldn't hear us.

“What, those who are happy in the morning?” I asked.

“Yeah, like what kind of stuff do you have to be on to enjoy mornings?”

“I hear beds are all over the street right now,” I joked. Vinyl smiled, glancing out the window into the streets of Canterlot.

“So, about that colt that you like,” I opened the main conversation topic.

“Oh, right... well, what about him?” she asked. Before Vinyl could speak, the waitress came back with Vinyl’s coffee, quickly scurrying away to attend to other customers.

“Who are they?” I pressured, Vinyl drinking a large portion of her coffee.

“What are you, my mom?” she chuckled.

“I could be, you never know in this day and age.”

Vinyl raised an eyebrow at me, before continuing.

“Well, he’s this colt that I met at the radio station. You know how sometimes I go there to do things like interviews and contests?” she polled me. I nodded, taking a long sip of my hazelnut latte.

“His name is Polar Pattern, and he’s an audio engineer. He just started working at the station. I went there a few weeks ago for a contest shift, and when he was on break, we started talking,” she explained.

“Ooo, saucy,” I poked.

“Yeah yeah, anyways... I don’t know, he was just... terribly interesting. Everything about the way that we talked seemed... natural.”

“You have innate chemistry with him, that’s good. Is it because you share similar lines of work?” I asked her.

“That was part of it, yeah. He was nice, and charismatic, and... eh, I don’t know, it just seemed right,” she spoke.

“Well, like I told you, you should just tell him. It sounds like he was pretty in to you, too,” I told her.

“...maybe,” Vinyl trailed off.

“Ah, you’ll be fine,” I adamantly told her.

“Hm, thanks man.”

“Of course. If you aren’t going to be confidant in yourself, someone has to!” I prodded.

Vinyl just laughed.

Author's Note:

Ah yes.

Thanks for reading!