• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 847 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 847

Ferris Wheel Thoughts

"You know, from way up here, everyone below us looks like ants," Octavia mused. I leaned over the edge of the Ferris wheel we were on, observing the myriads to people below us.

"Yeah, right? Hey, watch this," Vinyl told us, grabbing a piece of popcorn from her bag with her magic. Holding it over the edge, she dropped it. The three of us watched the piece fall, waiting to see what would happen. Sure enough, the popcorn landed on a pony's head, bouncing off and causing them to look up. We jumped back into the basket before they could see us.

"Ha! I didn't know I could do that!" Vinyl exclaimed.

"Yes, you have discovered powers that defy all known laws of physics and magic," Octavia rolled her eyes.

"You know, you should do it again, just to be sure," I winked at Vinyl.

"Sure, why not? It'll be easy," she chuckled.

"Want to bet?" Octavia challenged. Vinyl and I both glanced at her in silence.

"...uh, sure. I'll bet you twenty tickets that I can hit another person with popcorn from up here," Vinyl defended. Octavia lowered her eyes.

"Oh, it's on. That teddy bear at the ring game is as good as mine," she said to herself.

"Alright, ready?" Vinyl asked. Octavia and I nodded. Vinyl looked down at her popcorn, taking a bit and eating it. She took a large breath in, and exhaled to focus. She grabbed her... her...

She grabbed her entire bag of popcorn and dumped it over the edge of the basket...

"Hey! You can't do that, that's cheating!" Octavia yelled. I watched the shower of popcorn fall towards the carnival below, covering everyone waiting for the ride in a buttery and salty surprise.

"Oh yeah? Says who, the popcorn police?" Vinyl chuckled, sitting back in her seat and crossing her legs.

"You used one piece the first time, not the whole bag!" Octavia fought.

"Well duh, that's because I can only use the whole bag once," Vinyl smirked. Octavia wrinkled her nose in annoyance, struggling to find something to say.

"I only needed twenty tickets to get that bear..." Octavia pouted. I reached into my ticket bag that I had been carrying around with me, pulling out a small patch of tickets. Folding them up, I held them out in front of Octavia. She looked at them, then up to me.

"Really?" she tentatively asked me.

"Yes really. I'm not going to use them for anything, anyway," I smiled at her. She thought for a moment, before slowly taking them.

"Thank you Daniel..." she humbly said, my smile widening.

"...man! Just frickin' kiss already!" Vinyl shouted. Octavia and I looked at her, before I began laughing and...

...and Octavia blushed. Because of her coat colour, it was subtle, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw it.

"Vinyl, please, try to be less crass," she straightened up.

"Pfft, whatever man. Deny your love for each other, see if I care," she idly teased, looking off to her left. Before anyone could say anything else, Vinyl shot up to look out of the basket.

"Hey! Look at that!" she shouted to us. Octavia and I looked where Vinyl was looking, and...

Oh, wow. The most beautiful sunset that I have ever seen was shining on us. Swirls of clouds mixed perfectly with the yellow and red that blazed across the sky. On the edge sat a glorious blue, with shades of purple painted in. The sunlight reflected brilliantly off of the clouds that we could see from way up high, giving us the best view of anyone in Canterlot.

It was perfect.

I looked over to my friends, who were both mesmerized by the stunning, chatoyant lights before us.

...this was perfect.

Nothing could sway my opinion now. Things were how they were supposed to be. I found myself thinking that the more and more I looked at my friends and my life.

This was it. This is how things were supposed to be.

And I don't want them to change...

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading!