• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 847 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 847

The Meta Million Dollar Question

"Hey, come to think of it, how come you always hang out here and seemingly nowhere else?"

I blinked a few times, slowly lowering my mug from my lips as I did. Vinyl smirked at me as she waited for a response. I glanced across the room to Octavia, who just stared at me, taking a long sip of her tea. I placed my tea on the coffee table before looking to Vinyl.

"I mean... is that a bad thing?" I carefully asked.

"No, not at all. It's just... you spend a lot of time here," Vinyl told me as she cocked my head.

"It's because I can't afford to pay for my rent, and if I don't come here I won't be able to eat anything," I deadpanned. Vinyl simply stared at me.

"...is that true?" Octavia asked after a moment's reflection.

"No, of course not! I don't know, you guys are more fun to be around than anyone else I know," I explained, picking up my tea again.

"Well I guess that's good to hear. What about your other friends?" Vinyl continued.

"Eh, they're great and all, but they're all so... two dimensional. It's like they don't really have any personality to them. Outside of work, I don't really have anything in common with them."

"Hm, I can see how that would become tiring after a while," Octavia said as she sat down on the couch across from me.

"Yeah, it's not that I don't like them, but... eh... just that I find it hard to relate to most of them,"

"So... why us? Why pick us to hang out with?" Vinyl prodded. I sat back in my seat, contemplating my response.

...how could I tell you two what you've done for me...?

"...it's the... dynamic that you two have. And it's not even just you two together. You're both so... real. It's refreshing to be around someone that I don't have be overly careful with what I say. At the same time, we like similar things but we also disagree on certain things. But we're all mature enough to have a conversation about it and not get mad or upset. Some people can't do that, and it's... not great to see," I thought aloud.

"Hm... very well said Daniel," Octavia admired. I nodded, taking a sip from my ginger tea.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Especially in this town, it's ridiculous! People are so set in their own ways and their own worlds that you would think that disagreeing with them is a crime," Vinyl added. The room fell silent.

"...I really hope that I'm not bothering you guys," I whispered.

"Daniel, no. That's not what we think at all! You're an amazing friend, and I think Vinyl and I can both agree that we're more than happy to have met you," Octavia consoled me.

"Of course! We love having you here. I mean, if you weren't here, who else would edit my flyers for me?" Vinyl joked. I chuckled, before looking down at my mug.

"...that mean's a lot to hear... thank you," I smiled. There was a pause in the conversation, before a thought popped into my mind.

"Tell you what. Next time we want to hang out, you guys can come over to my apartment and see why I don't like having company over," I smirked.

"Oh, I've been to his apartment. There isn't much room there at all," Octavia recalled with a smile.

"Yeah, it not great for entertaining guests," I told the pair.

"Nope, now we have to come over," Vinyl affirmed.

I simply laughed.

...I don't think I could if I wanted to...

Author's Note:

Thanks a lot for reading!