• Published 29th Oct 2017
  • 847 Views, 16 Comments

Journal of Occasional Nonsensicality - Acryliks



Ponies usually don't make sense. And yet here I am, trying to make friends with them. Surprising? Mayhaps...

  • ...
1
 16
 847

Something is wrong...

I flinched.

“...what’s wrong?" Vinyl asked me. I looked around for a moment.

For the briefest amount of time, everything seemed normal. But... then...

“I...” I trailed off. Vinyl turned towards me, taking her headphones off of her head. She set them down on the tray that was in between us, opting to give me her attention instead of her music.

“Are you alright? What’s up man?” she pressed me.

“Something... something doesn’t feel right...” I told her as I lowered my head in thought.

There was no way I would be able to put it into words, but like I said. Something just felt... wrong. Like... somewhere, something was in the wrong spot.

“I guess you shouldn’t have eaten those hay fries after all, huh” Vinyl joked as she elbowed my side, laughing as she did. Her attempt to lighten the mood went, unfortunately, unnoticed.

“...say, is something really wrong? What is it?” She asked with a concerned gaze, going as far as to lift her shades from in front of her eyes.

My heart, my mind, my body, my soul...

An overwhelming feeling of dread washed over me, yet... there was no cause. I could not see, feel, or remember anything that could have happened or that could happen that would cause me to feel this way. The clacks of the train wheels under us were a constant reminder that I was still very much here and alive, yet I felt... disconnected. From me, from my friend, from my seat, from... from my life.

No... it wasn’t dread. It was... something.

Ah! What is this?

The feeling was completely alien to me. I cannot describe it to you. The only thing that I can say is that something felt completely and totally...

“Wrong. Something just feels wrong,” I told Vinyl.

“That’s... not a lot to-” Vinyl was cut off by an external voice.

“Would you two like anything to drink?” a colt called out to us, cutting through the thoughts that I was having.

“I... I’ll just have some water, thank you,” I told him.

“Same,” Vinyl said. He nodded, pouring us both a tall glass of water with a lemon garnishing the side of the glass. He set them in our cup holders, before nodding and walking away to serve another set of passengers. Suddenly...

Everything went back to normal. Nothing was wrong. Nothing was out of place. Everything was whole again.

“Seriously dude, talk to me. If something is wrong, I need to know so I can help you,” Vinyl told me. I flinched again.

“Everything... is normal again,” I thought aloud. Vinyl’s shoulders dropped.

“Look, would you stop talking in code?” she half joked.

“...I don’t know, Vinyl. Everything is normal now,” I said again, looking at my hands as I did. Vinyl slumped back into her seat.

“Alright, well... you have fun with that,” she gave up. I sat back into my own seat.

The feeling was completely and utterly indescribable. Nothing was wrong, yet everything in my life, for a short time, had felt... incorrect. I didn’t feel like myself, and I felt like I didn’t know who my friend Vinyl was. But... in a different way. An experience that was completely alien to me, yet sat right on the top of my mind.

If I ever find out what this feeling is, I’ll be sure to make a note of it...

Author's Note:

A piece about a small moment I had the other day. The feeling was so weird that I HAD to write about it.

I hope you enjoyed!