• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,163 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Don't Wear Out Your Welcome

Rarity grabbed whatever she could and dumped it into a tarp Rainbow had dragged over from the pirates’ lean-tos. Everything from cloth and dry wood to glass and swords found its way into the bag in one shape or another. She’d even found a crate of rum hidden away in the back of one lean-to. The pirates must’ve been saving that for a special day, but Rarity decided her and Rainbow needed it more than them. Rarity especially hadn’t had a drink in over a month—even rum would do at this point.

All the while, her and Rainbow kept wary eyes trained on the perimeter of the camp. Gyro’s chimes had stopped a few minutes ago, and they had no idea what had happened to the two pirates set to patrol around the camp. As far as Rarity knew, they’d just disappeared. Rainbow had even gone and poked around the edges of the camp for a quick minute to see if she could see them, but they weren’t there. Had they simply deserted Squall? Rarity knew they weren’t too content with her rule, so it didn’t seem too far-fetched.

“What have we got?” Rainbow asked, dumping Squall’s guns, a horn of powder, and some shot into the tarp. “We got enough crap?”

“Most of the pirates’ food and water, some of their weapons, Squall’s pistols, building supplies, and a few bottles of rum.” Rarity smirked at Rainbow as she lifted one of the bottles and its amber fluid out of the tarp. “I think we’ve earned ourselves a drink after tonight.”

Rainbow immediately reached for the rum, nearly snatching it out of Rarity’s magic before she pulled it out of reach. “Gimme that,” she whined, hooves flailing against empty air. “I need it.”

“I think becoming inebriated is the last thing we need right now,” Rarity said.

“It’s alcohol, Rares, I need it to disinfect Coals’ wound. Plus we could probably do with a little splash ourselves. Who knows where this sand’s been.”

“Here, I would presume.” Nevertheless, Rarity surrendered the handle to Rainbow, who immediately took it over to Coals’ side and popped the cork. “Are you sure drinking alcohol is even good for wound cleaning?”

“Depends on the proof,” Rainbow said. She stuck her muzzle over the open bottle and immediately made a face. “Okay, this stuff’s like, a hundred, at least. Holy crap. Yeah, I think this is good enough.”

Coals actually whimpered and winced as Rainbow poured a drizzle of the rum onto his open world. Even Rainbow grimaced before setting the bottle aside. “I do not envy you, dude,” she said, shaking her head. “But I mean, you’re hanging in there, so that’s good, right?”

“I just hope he makes it,” Rarity said. “I don’t think I could go back to Gyro and tell her that we found her long lost coltfriend but Squall killed him before we could facilitate a reunion.”

“I think if he’s made it this long, he’s pretty good,” Rainbow said. She peered into the bullet wound in his side and shrugged. “I think he stopped bleeding, but he’s still breathing and stuff, so that’s gotta be good, right?”

“He still needs some kind of medical attention,” Rarity said. “Until we close that wound, he’s in serious peril of an early demise.”

“We’ll figure something out.” Eyeing the bottle, Rainbow stuck the end in her mouth and took several gulps before Rarity could say anything. Wiping some booze off her chin, Rainbow shook her head back and forth, grimaced, and fluffed her damp wings. “That hit the spot.”

“You are such a headache,” Rarity grumbled, snatching the handle from Rainbow and stuffing it into the tarp. “I don’t know why I fell for you.”

“Because I make everything awesomer by being in it?”

“Because you were the only other living pony for miles at the time, I think.” Sighing, Rarity bunched up the tarp and tied off the end with a drawstring. “I can take care of this, can you carry Coals?”

Rainbow looked at the stallion and shrugged. “I guess I can. He shouldn’t weigh that much, right? I’m sure he’s lost a few pounds of blood.”

Rarity winced. “Must you?”

“Gyro’s rubbing off on me, I think,” Rainbow said. “That mare’s the master of grim humor. Was she making jokes when she broke her back?”

“Unfortunately, as much as it made me uncomfortable.”

Rainbow snickered and dipped her head. With a few grunts and awkward fluttering of her wings, she managed to roll the stallion onto her back. Coals whimpered and grunted a few times, and Rainbow shot the unconscious stallion an apologetic look. “Sorry, dude, but it’s for your own good. We’re gonna get you out of here.”

“And hopefully ourselves, too.” Rarity’s ear cocked, and she shuddered at the continuing vertigo it gave her. Between the dizziness, her exhaustion, and not even having two functioning ears, Rarity didn’t know if she could trust her hearing anymore. But if she could, and she certainly wished to believe that she still could, then her good ear picked up the sounds of hooves and voices approaching the pirate camp.

An assumption that was reinforced from Rainbow’s raised ears and still stance. “The pirates are coming back,” she said, quickly looking around the camp. “We need to go. Come on, let’s get out of here!”

Rarity grabbed the canvas bag in her magic and hurried over to Rainbow, effortlessly floating the thing with a thin ring of magic to try and minimize mana glow in the darkness of the night. “You certainly don’t have to tell me twice. The only reason I’ve lingered around this dreadful encampment so long is to catch my breath and rob as much as we can from these cretins. It’s the only way to properly pay them back after everything they’ve done.”

“Let’s just hope that we didn’t make them even more pissy,” Rainbow said. Shaking her head, she quickly darted off to the south, away from the camp and the direction the pirates approached from. “That’s about the last thing we need.”

“Indeed.” Rarity perched at the edge of the camp, giving it one last look, and frowned. Her eyes fell on the dull red hooves still lying in the shadows at the edge of the camp, and the tiny flickering flame in the center. “This night will make quite the story to tell our friends,” she mused. “Assuming we ever make it back to them.”

“We’ll make it back,” Rainbow assured her, already moving into the shadows. “Come on, let’s go find Gyro and get out of here.”

“I just hope she’s alright,” Rarity said. “I don’t think I have it in me to mount another rescue operation.”

PreviousChapters Next