• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,163 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Getting Set

Rarity watched Gyro put the walker through its paces for the next fifteen or twenty minutes. The mechanic pulled herself up and down the beach as she figured out how to move more efficiently within the frame, and soon enough she’d developed a steady rhythm that at least let her half trot across the sand. Though Rarity knew the gray mare would never be able to go anywhere in a hurry, at least she could move around under her own power. She’d even figured out how to lie down and stand back up by herself. Though the twisting motions she had to contort her body through weren’t exactly easy, she could usually force herself back up to a standing position in a minute or so.

Eventually satisfied with her progress, Gyro returned to Rarity and rolled her shoulders. “Well, this is pretty awesome. I can move now and stuff. You don’t know how much this means to me.”

Rarity leaned in for a hug with the engineer. “I believe I have a pretty good idea. I couldn’t bear to see you suffer like that.”

“Not sure what you mean by that. I certainly didn’t complain.”

“Oh, hush,” Rarity said, pulling away from the embrace. “You were complaining inwardly. Reading ponies is an important skill to have in elite society, and you’re not that difficult to read.”

Gyro rolled her eyes. “Are you saying I’m a foal’s book?”

“You’re certainly not a coloring book with all that gray and white,” Rarity teased her. “Have you ever considered accents? A few different shades of blue to streak the ends of your mane would look stunning with your blue eyes.”

“I have, but then again it’ll just get covered in soot and muck before too long.” Gyro touched the end of her short white mane with a hoof. “Most of the time when I’m below decks, my mane looks about half white, half black. Kind of like zebra stripes, except not at all.”

“Then I suppose what you mean is that it’s nothing like zebra stripes apart from the color.” Shaking her head, Rarity returned to their campgrounds and started throwing their remaining supplies back into the sack. “Well, now that we’ve solved your mobility issue, I believe it’s time we tackle the remaining challenge for today. We need to get this noise machine rigged up before nightfall if we’re going to rescue Rainbow.”

Gyro nodded. “That’d be a good idea, yeah. Got an idea for how you want to do it?”

“Not really, so anything goes.” Once Rarity collected all the remaining scrap she’d brought back, she threw some food into the bag as well and took a long drink of water. Wiping her lips, she trotted back out of the undergrowth. “We have wire to fasten panels and planks together with, and lots of rope to rig them up from a distance. I figured we can find pieces that have holes in them that we can attach the wire to so that they rattle and make noise when the rope is pulled, then string it up in the palm trees.”

“I hope we have enough rope for that,” Gyro said. “How much did you find?”

“A few hundred feet, but there’s likely more somewhere.” Rarity shrugged. “It is an airship, after all. There was bound to be miles of rope on it.”

Gyro chuckled. “Oh, believe me, I know.”

With everything finally gathered, Rarity started across the beach at an easy pace, walking slow enough for Gyro to comfortably keep pace at her side. “I just hope there won’t be any pirates at the wreckage today.”

“Well, knowing our luck, I’m sure there will be. Got any ideas for that?”

Rarity shrugged. “Hide and keep quiet? That’s about all we can do.”

“Yeah. Keep quiet. While we’re making noisemakers.” Gyro raised an eyebrow. “See a problem with that?”

“Yes, but there’s not much that we can do about that. Like everything we’ve suffered through since ending up here, we have to straddle a dangerous line between doing what we need to to survive and not getting caught by things that would kill us.”

“I would figure that last one would fit under the first category.”

“You know what I mean.”

The walk to the wreckage took longer than Rarity was used to, given how slowly Gyro moved, but at the very least, there wasn’t any sign of the pirates that lived further inland. Still, that didn’t mean Rarity let her guard down; she knew that they could emerge from the jungle at any moment, and if they caught her and Gyro unprepared, it’d be the end of them. Yet, despite the intangible fear gnawing on her gut, they made it to the shelter of the wreckage without incident.

Gyro let her eyes wander over the massive pile of scrap and salvage Rarity had accumulated throughout the morning. “Somepony’s been busy, holy crap.”

“And I had to move all of it by mouth,” Rarity said. She stuck her tongue out for emphasis as she added, “I don’t know how you do it without magic.”

“Don’t use your tongue. Easy. Every earth pony knows that.” With a little bit of a grimace, Gyro forced herself back down into a sitting position, her walker kicked out into the sand beside her. “Also, always keep water close by. That or a stiff drink. Something to wash the taste out of your mouth.”

“I’m glad I don’t usually have to deal with that,” Rarity mused. Sitting down across from Gyro, she started pulling panels and planks out of the pile, along with a loop of rope. “Let’s get started, shall we, darling? If we need any more material, I should be able to find some more in the wreckage.”

“Sounds good.” Gyro leaned forward and pulled some of the supplies close to her. “This is gonna be a pain in the flank. Might as well get it over with now.”

“Oh, hush,” Rarity said. “It’ll be done before you know it.”

“Right, I’m sure.”

PreviousChapters Next