• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,156 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,156

PreviousChapters Next
Shoreside Chat

The skies were getting dark by the time the three ponies settled down for dinner. Rarity went out to the pond to fetch Gyro and bring back some water in the jugs they’d salvaged from the other island, and then the three ponies went down to the beach to eat. There, they sat side by side by side with Rainbow in the middle, simply eating and watching the water rush in and out.

To Rarity’s surprise, Gyro finished eating first. Grimacing, the mechanic lowered the last of her sugar apple from her mouth and simply held it in outstretched hooves. It took her a moment before she dropped it back in the basket and frowned at the sand. “I can’t eat anymore,” she grumbled. “My body’s still not used to food. You’d think after starving for a month it’d want nothing more than for me to gorge myself to my fill.”

“Yeah, just be careful with it,” Rainbow said. “Eating too much can actually kill you. You just gotta get back into it a little bit at a time. Don’t rush.”

Rarity pursed her lips. “Heavens, I’m so sorry for you,” she said. “That must be torturous.”

“The first two weeks were the real torture,” Gyro said. “After that, it just felt like I had a hole in my gut. It didn’t hurt anymore at least.” She swallowed hard and sucked at her lips. “I thought that meant I was going to die soon…”

Rainbow nudged the earth pony. “Hey, don’t worry about that crap anymore. You’re safe and with friends now. Let’s just keep looking forward, not backwards, ‘kay?”

Gyro dipped her head. “I’ll try…”

Rarity and Rainbow ate a little more before they both decided they’d had their fill for the night. After drinking some water to wash down the fruit, Rarity carried everything back to their camp. When she returned, she found Rainbow and Gyro exactly where she’d left them, watching the waves ripple over the dimming sea.

As she settled down, Gyro flicked an ear at the tickling breeze coming in off the water. “So, you two have lived on this island by yourselves this whole time?” the mechanic asked. “With nopony else?”

“We were lucky,” Rarity said, bobbing her head. “Well, lucky in the regards that there weren’t any minotaurs on this island to contend with.”

“And just plain lucky that we survived in the first place,” Rainbow said. “A bit of the Concordia’s hull hit our lifeboat as it took the plunge and broke it open. Somehow we didn’t die when we hit the water. And then Rarity managed to get to me while I was still unconscious from getting my wing broken and the waves washed us ashore.”

“I just did what I had to,” Rarity said. “I paid for it by splitting my horn, but it’s largely fixed now. The chip in the tip should go away in another week.”

Rainbow smirked. “Which you’ve handled surprisingly well,” she said. “I thought having a chip in your horn would’ve driven you insane. It’s probably not fashionable, right?”

Rarity pouted and huffed. “I’d like to believe that I know when to stop being dramatic and focus on the actually prominent issues facing us.”

“Yeah, you’d like to believe.”

Blue magic scooped up a pony-sized pile of sand and floated it above Rainbow’s head. “You don’t know how tempted I am, darling,” she said.

Rainbow stuck her tongue out at her. “Do it. I’ll just cover you in sand then. And unlike me, I know you actually care.”

Gyro giggled as the two mares stared each other down. “You two are so cute together,” she said, covering her muzzle with a bony hoof. Then she stopped and cleared her throat. “I mean… I hope I’m not reading that wrong…”

Rarity and Rainbow blinked, and Rarity dumped the sand back onto the beach. “That obvious, was it?” Rarity asked.

“I’m not judging!” Gyro quickly defended herself, throwing up a hoof. “I was just wondering, that’s all.”

Rainbow leaned against Rarity and grinned. “We’re two awesome ponies,” she said. “It’d be a crime or something if we didn’t hitch up.”

The seamstress rolled her eyes and patted Rainbow’s back. “You’d be surprised how much the two of us have in common beneath the surface. That, and given the stresses of just surviving this whole ordeal, it was almost guaranteed to happen.” She nuzzled the back of Rainbow’s head, earning a protest from her marefriend. “And Rainbow can be surprisingly cute and adorable when she doesn’t have her guard up.”

“Rarity!” Rainbow exclaimed, pouting. “That’s not true at all!”

“Mmmm… I’m sure.” Rarity nibbled on Rainbow’s ear and gave it a slight tug. She could almost feel Rainbow beginning to blush. Some part of her wondered if she should feel bad for teasing her marefriend like that. But then again, what were marefriends for?

Judging by the smile on Gyro’s face, it was working. “I certainly think you two are fit for each other,” she said. “Between the two of you, I’m certain you could conquer anything.”

“It’s how we’ve survived this long,” Rainbow said, pulling away from Rarity’s nuzzles and cuddles and shooting her a frown. Her gaze softened a bit when she added, “I didn’t think it at first, but after three weeks of this crap, she’s proven really reliable and helpful. And mostly free of complaint.” She shot Rarity a look. “Mostly.”

Rarity scoffed. “Can you blame me for at least indulging myself a little? This is hardly the situation I’d call ideal. I feel like I’m owed a lot more complaint time than I’m actually using, given everything I’ve had to suffer through.”

“I’ve certainly done my share of complaining,” Gyro said. “Nopony was around to hear it, though. Given where I just came from, though, this is a tropical paradise.”

“We’ll see how long the novelty lasts,” Rarity said. “While I certainly enjoy the island’s beaches and pleasant weather, the flies and absence of civilization take their toll on you. I’m half tempted to spend an entire week combing the island over and killing every fly I can find.”

Rainbow nodded along. “If you thought not eating was bad, wait until you’re the one being eaten. At least it’s better than the minotaurs, though.”

“Sure.” Gyro frowned out across the water. “How do we know they won’t come for us? They saw us escape.”

“I burnt their boats before we got to the temple,” Rainbow said. “I don’t remember if I told you or not. But it’ll be some time at least before they decide to head this way. Besides, they hardly ever stop here. They only landed twice in the twenty days or so that we were here.”

“That we’re aware of,” Rarity amended. “And while I didn’t approve of Rainbow destroying the minotaurs’ livelihood—”

“Why not?” Gyro interrupted. “They killed and ate all my friends. They deserve what they get.”

Rarity momentarily fidgeted as she found herself at a loss for words. “Well… I can understand where you’re coming from, at least. But I didn’t want to leave these islands a murderer.”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to get back home,” Gyro said. “Even if that means killing a few minotaurs. They’ve killed a bunch of us already, so I don’t mind evening the score.”

“We’ll get home,” Rainbow insisted. “Don’t worry about that. And we’ll just deal with this stuff as it happens. Hopefully we won’t have to kill anybody.”

Rarity nodded along, but that dark cloud hovered over her thoughts. Could they really get out of this with their consciences intact? Or would they have to fight and kill to survive?

She really hoped they wouldn’t have to. She wasn’t sure if she could bring herself to do it.

PreviousChapters Next