• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,163 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Encore

Rarity frowned as Rainbow led her and Gyro on some merry chase. She asked Rainbow numerous times what they were going to see, but Rainbow never answered. That left Rarity stuck between trying to stay close to Rainbow and lingering far back enough for Gyro to keep up. Despite her strength training exercises in pulling a sledge across the sand, the mare still didn’t have all that much endurance and tired easily. By the time they made it to the south hill at a brisk canter, Gyro was beginning to sweat and sway.

Up ahead, Rainbow Dash crested the top of the hill, then turned around and impatiently swished her tail back and forth. “Come on, you guys! You’re gonna miss it!” she hissed at them, keeping her voice surprisingly low. “Hurry up!”

“Rainbow Dash, if you would just tell us what exactly it is that we’re missing, then maybe I would feel inclined to pick up my own pace just a little,” Rarity shot back. “Just please give me and Gyro a straight answer already! You better not have dragged me and the poor mare all the way out to the south hill for nothing!”

Rainbow frowned at them. “Don’t you hear her?”

“Her?” Rarity asked, pausing about halfway up the hill. “Hear who? I’ve been so busy trying to help Gyro keep up with us that I haven’t—!”

“Shhh!” Rainbow glared at her. “Listen!”

Though Rarity was quickly becoming irate with Rainbow, she did at least take the time to stop and listen. Once there weren’t any more competing sounds to listen to save for Gyro’s panting at her side, Rarity started to pick out a song through the background noise of the day. Even the birds had fallen silent to listen to something otherworldly and haunting.

Gyro closed her muzzle and let her nostrils flare so her panting wouldn’t drown out the tune. “What is that?” she whispered, turning wide-eyed to Rarity. “Another survivor?”

Rarity shook her head and felt a giddy bit of nervous excitement tickle her hooves. “A siren,” she said. “And she sounds close!”

“Don’t just stand there, you two!” Rainbow hissed at them, beckoning them up the hill with her wing. “Don’t you wanna get a look?”

“A look?” Rarity asked, galloping up the hillside. “Can you really see her?”

“Look for yourself!”

Rainbow disappeared over the crest of the hill right before Rarity reached it. As soon as she did, however, she slowed down and looked down into the lagoon. There, she saw a sight she never thought she’d see: a living, breathing, singing siren. Before she could get a chance to really look at her, however, Rainbow threw a star apple at Rarity’s face. When she flinched and looked in the direction the fruit projectile had flown from, she saw Rainbow crouched low behind some undergrowth, hiding her from the lagoon but letting her get a clear look at the action.

Rarity hesitated just long enough to catch Gyro’s attention as she climbed the hill before darting off to the side. Settling in by Rainbow, she poked her head through an opening in the plant matter and set her eyes on the singing siren below. “That’s what they look like?” she whispered in awe. “They’re so… gorgeous!”

“I wouldn’t call them that,” Rainbow said, peering between the leaves. “She’s really big and those teeth are nasty looking.”

The siren in the lagoon was certainly both of those things… yet they hardly came close to describing her. Perhaps the biggest understatement was Rainbow’s. The siren was big, and almost freakishly so. She lied on the sand, tail curled around her body as she sang, but she would have easily dwarfed Rarity or Rainbow. Rarity figured that the siren’s head alone was as big as she was. She looked more like a cross between a dragon and a fish instead of a fish and a pony. Given the sharp, wedge-like beak and enormous teeth Rarity could see in her mouth every time she opened it to hit a higher note, the musical visitor could probably gut a pony in a single bite if she felt inclined. And given how sailors feared sirens, Rarity figured she probably would.

But even then, she was beautiful. Green scales covered her body from head to fin, and her form was long, sleek, and slender. Smooth contours and a thin waist belied powerful muscles built for swimming long distances. Her eyes, when Rarity could see them, were similarly emerald green, and her gill fringes at the base of her jaw and the large dorsal fin protruding from the back of her neck glistened in the sunlight with all their translucent glory.

And all of that together had nothing on the beauty of her voice. Like before, it was perfectly tuned, even wavering just the tiniest bit to introduce some character and richness. The timbre was like nothing Rarity could ever have expected; her voice could simultaneously sound like a soloist, a choir, and something heavenly, and she slipped between them at will. Though there were no words, everything was annunciated clearly, effectively, and without hesitation. As far as Rarity could tell, there wasn’t a single wrong note in the siren’s alluring, hypnotizing song.

She felt herself rocking forward onto her hooves. So hypnotizing… she just wanted to walk down the hill and listen to the siren’s music all day…

She jolted out of it when she felt something grab her tail and drag her back into a seated position. When she looked over her shoulder, she saw Gyro spit out her tail and give her a worried look. “Are you okay?” she asked, lowering her eyebrows. “You and Rainbow both weren’t answering me, and then you were trying to stand up…”

Rainbow winced and shook her head. “What? Oh, no, yeah, we’re fine,” she said, shooting a look at Rarity. “…Right?”

“Her song,” Rarity said, looking at the siren once more. “It’s just so… beautiful. I just want to go down there and talk to her. Maybe listen to her sing. It’s like nothing I’ve ever heard before.” She sniffled once and added, “I feel like I’m going to cry if I don’t.”

Gyro blinked. “Aren’t sirens supposed to use their songs to lure stallions to their deaths?” she asked. “I really don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“But it’s so pretty,” Rainbow whined. Her wings fidgeted at her sides. “We’re not stallions. She won’t hurt us.”

“Yeah, but you two like mares, and I’m pretty sure that’s kinda messing with your heads a bit.”

Rarity cocked her head. “You mean you don’t feel it too?”

“It’s pretty, but it’s not making me starry-eyed and stuff,” Gyro said. “I don’t feel a need to go down there and talk to her. I’m content to just watch from here. That fish could snap me up in a bite. I’m not gonna get within snapping range.”

The siren paused for a moment to paw at the sand with her large, split hooves. A pointed tongue flicked over the sharp ridges of her beak, and a green gem in her chest glowed faintly. When she sang again, it was a different song, this one joyous, festive, and fast. It made Rarity want to stand up and dance like she would during a parade or something through Canterlot.

“She’s practicing,” Rarity concluded, feeling her tail wiggle back and forth. “Celestia, she’s good.”

“How’s about I just make sure you two don’t go anywhere and we can all just listen to her for now,” Gyro said. “It’s clear she doesn’t affect me. It’s just you two we need to worry about.”

“I’d like that,” Rainbow said, swaying back and forth and tapping her hoof in time with the music. “That sounds awesome. Maybe we can go dancing, too.”

“No dancing,” Gyro growled, and she wormed her way between the two mares to keep them under control. “Just listening.”

Rarity rolled her eyes and bumped her flank against Gyro’s. “You’re no fun. You’re like my mother.”

“Believe me,” Gyro groaned. “Sometimes, I really feel like it…”

PreviousChapters Next