• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,163 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Rolling Waves

Thirty-five notches stared Rainbow in the face. The days just kept piling up, and admittedly she was beginning to feel lazy. It was simply a result of knowing where they needed to go and what they needed to do to find a way home but not doing it, instead opting to rest and prepare for the next excursion. To a mare who had lived her life by doing everything now, the R&R was almost torturous.

Her, Rarity, and Gyro had just finished up dinner. Once again, all they had was another meal of star apples, sugar apples, coconut, and some grass to mix things up a little. After eating nothing but those four foods for more than a month now, Rainbow was starting to grow sick of them. She was very tempted to start nosing around for edible roots just for something different to eat. Gyro’s constant cravings for mushrooms were also starting to wear off on her. At this point, who cared if they were poisonous so long as they tasted different?

All her thoughts finally culminated in her opening her mouth. “We should roast some coconut,” she said. “Holy crap, if I don’t eat something different I’m gonna friggin’ gnaw my hoof off just for the taste.”

Rarity grimaced. “Why did you have to bring this up?” She stuffed the last of a sugar apple clove into her mouth and swallowed it as quickly as she could. “I was just ignoring the fact that I’ve been eating the same things for a month now and doing a remarkably good job at it.”

“You two speak for yourselves, food’s food and I’m like a hundred pounds lighter than I should be right now.” Gyro stuffed another sugar apple in her mouth and spat out the rind moments later. “And I’m starting to get good at eating these things. They’re certainly a little too exotic for my paygrade back in Equestria. I’m enjoying them.”

“We’ll see how much you’ll enjoy them when you’re not skin and bones and you’ve been here for a month.” Wiping her muzzle, Rarity slid a little closer to Rainbow and sighed. “I don’t even think we have what we need to roast coconut. We don’t have adequate cookware, we hardly have enough chopped wood for a fire, and we don’t have any oil to cook them in. We’d need a little time to prepare first.”

“Feh.” Rainbow frowned in disappointment. “And here I was hoping for something a little different tonight.”

“There’s always your marefriend,” Gyro said with a wink. “She’s always on the menu.”

Rarity began to vigorously blush through her coat. “Gyro, darling, must you?”

Rainbow could barely contain her laughter. “G’s just messing around, Rares. Besides, is she wrong?”

The seamstress huffed and held her nose up in the air. “Some of us consider ourselves in too high of standing to make crass jokes like that.”

“That doesn’t answer my question…” Rainbow sang, leaning back against Rarity. When Rarity refused to say anything or even look at Rainbow, the pegasus laughed and smooched Rarity on the cheek. “Love ya, Rares.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Rarity grumbled. Rainbow just shook her head; if she just gave her a few minutes, Rarity would quit being saddle-sore. In the meanwhile, though, with her hopes of getting something new to eat tonight dashed, Rainbow turned her eyes to the east. “Beach?”

“Beach,” Gyro echoed, and the mechanic stood up and started to walk down to the shore. “Come on, maybe we’ll see the stars tonight.”

“After the rain we’ve had the past few days, that’d be awesome,” Rainbow said. She nudged Rarity with her nose and waited for the seamstress to sit up before she teased her cheek with her lips. “You good?”

“Good enough.” Rarity stood up, arched her back and glanced toward the east. “We better stop her before she makes us sit in the water again.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said, shaking her head and trotting after the earth pony. “That wasn’t fun. That mare likes the water too much.”

They did manage to catch Gyro before she decided to lie down too close to the water’s edge, and instead stopped her where the sand was still soft and powdery. Gyro chuckled as the couple planted their hooves in the sand and adamantly dropped to their stomachs, refusing to go any further. “Come on, why do you two always gotta be like that?” she asked them, settling down on Rainbow’s right. “It’s just a little water, it won’t hurt you.”

“We’ve spent too much time soaked with the rain these past few days, thank you,” Rarity said. It’d been raining almost nonstop for much of that time, which confined them to their shelters—except when they needed to get a drink or relieve themselves. Then they had to brave the pouring rain before scampering back to the safety of the large hut, where they all huddled together and waited for the skies to stop trying to drown their island. Today had been the first time that it hadn’t been raining almost all week—for as much as the three survivors could remember what day of the week it was.

Gyro eased herself to the ground next to them and sighed. “You’re no fun,” she said. “Truth be told, I only go down so close to the water to watch you two fuss when the waves touch your legs. It’s pretty funny.”

“You know what was pretty funny?” Rainbow asked. “When Rarity flung you into the surf to take a bath.”

Rarity giggled into her hoof. “I could do it again if you want,” she said. “Since you’re so adamant about getting into the water.”

“No thank you,” Gyro said, frowning. “I like the water, but I don’t like to be soaking wet. Just my hooves.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Rainbow grunted and leaned against Rarity’s side. “I like these kind of hang outs, though. Just us three and the sea.”

“They’re pleasant,” Rarity said. “It’s certainly something nice to do when the sun goes down and there’s not enough light to work with outside.”

“It’s relaxing.” Gyro smiled and rolled onto her side, her cheek resting in the sand. “Who says being stranded has to be all bad, all the time?”

“I plan on getting my money’s worth out of it,” Rainbow said.

Rarity frowned at Rainbow. “You didn’t even pay any money to be on that flight. It was all covered by the CWC and the Wonderbolts!”

“Yeah, so?” Rainbow shot back. “I’m getting their money’s worth out of it.”

“Oh, be quiet,” Rarity grumbled. “Let’s just enjoy the evening.”

“Eh, you’ll get no complaint out of me.”

Gyro chuckled and rolled her eyes. “I feel like I’m stuck playing babysitter with you two…”

PreviousChapters Next