• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 6,162 Views, 2,641 Comments

Surviving Sand Island - The 24th Pegasus



An airship wreck leaves Rainbow Dash and Rarity stranded on a deserted island. Together, they must find a way to survive until help comes—if it comes.

  • ...
36
 2,641
 6,162

PreviousChapters Next
Torment and Talk

Rainbow Dash already had a good idea of what she was about to get herself into when she sat down in the sand across from her friends. Regardless, she still tried to feign confusion in the hopes that it would keep them from talking about it. “What are you two giggling about?”

Gyro and Rarity glanced at each other. “Where have you been off to?” Rarity asked, quirking her eyebrow above her curved lips.

“Uh, taking a look at Soft Step’s wings?” Rainbow fidgeted in place; she didn’t like where this conversation was inevitably going for a number of reasons.

“That could mean a bunch of things in pegasus slang, I’m sure,” Gyro said. “Are you sure Rarity’s okay with that?”

Rainbow buried her face in her hooves and let out an exasperated sigh. “Celestia, sometimes you two drive me nuts. You already know what I was doing, I can see it in your faces.”

Rarity and Gyro snickered and dropped the act. “And how was your massage, darling? Good?”

“Esses’ got the best hooves in the game. She knows what a pegasus needs. Of course it was good.”

Gyro blinked. “Esses?”

“Soft Step,” Rainbow muttered.

“Oh, she has a nickname now?” Rarity asked. “If I didn’t know you better, I’d start throwing around some choice accusations.”

Rainbow sighed and laid her chin in the sand. “Whatever. Yes, I like her massages and they’re pretty awesome, girly as it sounds. Let me know when the torment has passed so I can go back to being awesome.”

Rarity rolled her eyes and slid over to pat Rainbow’s shoulder. “Oh, come now, Rainbow, it’s just a little light teasing. Nopony blames you for finding enjoyment in something objectively delightful. In fact, I might have to inquire about her services myself.”

“I bet she’s super busy around here,” Gyro said. “Having a trained masseuse in your crew must be great for morale. Celestia knows it must feel great after trying to survive in the wilderness by the skin of your teeth for so long.”

“Yeah. Think we can keep her when we find what we’re looking for, here?” Rainbow raised her head and spotted the green pegasus wandering through the plants around the edge of the camp. “I’d love to have my own massager pony on call whenever I need her.”

Gyro frowned and scuffed her hoof through the sand. “What are we gonna do about that, though?” she asked. “Are we going to take all these ponies back to our island, or are we going to move here, or what?”

Rarity blinked. “That’s… a good question, actually.”

“Yeah.” It was, admittedly, something Rainbow hadn’t thought about. But then again, she’d hardly had any time to think about it in the first place. What would they do with the new survivors they’d found? The number of survivors they knew about living on the islands had quite literally quadrupled overnight, and then some. They’d gone from three ponies to thirteen. That certainly changed a lot of things and a lot of plans her and Rarity had formed when it was originally just the two of them.

“Can our island even support that many ponies?” Rainbow asked. “It’s a lot smaller than this one, and there’s really only the south hill that grows fruit.”

“I think we’d be hard pressed to sustain ourselves for very long,” Rarity said. “Though they do have some food from the Concordia to help lighten the load.”

“But by how much?” Gyro asked. “It sounds like they can stretch their rations to cover everypony for a couple of months. But what happens when they run out?”

“Yeah, exactly what I was wondering.” After a moment to think, Rainbow rubbed a hoof along her chin. “Think they have any seeds in those bags?”

Rarity blinked. “Seeds? What for?”

“For growing stuff, Rares. Why else would we need seeds?”

“I thought the whole plan was to get off these islands,” Gyro said. “Not build a home here and move in.”

“Yeah, but just because we don’t want to be here for the long haul doesn’t mean we shouldn’t plan for it.” Rainbow shook her head. “If we plant seeds, we can grow crops, and if we can grow crops, we can sustain ourselves basically forever. We definitely won’t starve then.”

Gyro shrugged. “I guess.” Groaning, she laid her head on the sand and covered it with her forelegs. “Oh, can we stop talking about food? I’m so hungry and I can’t eat until after my stupid surgery.”

“Hey, at least you’ll get to walk after that, right?” Rainbow asked. “That’ll make it worth it.”

Gyro eyed the sand in front of her, where a stray oat or two lied half-buried. “At this point, my stomach is trying to convince my brain that I don’t need legs, only some delicious oats.”

“Just… try not to think about food or something, G,” Rainbow said. “Have you guys gotten to meet anypony else here?”

Rarity and Gyro shook their heads. “The ponies we didn’t meet last night left early this morning on another patrol and scavenging mission,” Gyro said. “Ball Bearings, a concierge named Champagne, a room service mare named Fresh Linens, and a passenger, I think his name was Straight Edges or something.”

“It seems like most of the survivors are Concordia crew,” Rarity observed. “Not many passengers apart from Rainbow and myself.”

Shrugging, Gyro shook her head. “Can’t really say why. I guess the crew was just in a better position to escape when the storm hit the ship. Every passenger was locked up somewhere while some of the crew was left around the decks.”

“I guess it’s a good thing Squall separated us from everypony else then, right, Rares?” Rainbow asked. “Otherwise we’d have been stuck below decks and we would’ve been toast.”

Gyro slammed her forehead against the sand and let loose a muffled groan.

Rainbow blinked. “What? Did I say something?”

Rarity shook her head and sighed. “Don’t worry about it. She’ll survive. But, speaking of future plans, we should probably start looking for this next figurine while we’re here.”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, if the survivors know where this tomb thingy is, then I bet that’s where the figurine is hiding. The sooner we get that, the sooner we can get out of here and away from those pirates. Squall might be dead, but there’s still plenty of her crew left somewhere out here.”

“And the longer we remain here, the greater the risk that somepony else will lose their life unnecessarily,” Rarity agreed with a nod of her head. “Haste is the best solution to helping everypony keep their lives.”

“Yeah. Speaking of which…” Rainbow spotted Ratchet from across the camp and started waving her wing until she caught his attention. “I figure the head honcho can help us out with what we need.”

PreviousChapters Next