• Published 26th Jul 2017
  • 587 Views, 9 Comments

Robotigenesis - The12GageKid_Bron3



Probe EX-42 "Explorator" lands on the distant planet Equus. The only mission for this probe: study any and all life on the planet. Of course, not all life is so eager to be studied.

  • ...
3
 9
 587

<printing>

Now, how to go about this?

"Given our current lack of arms, I recommend converting our nanobot repair system into a remote deconstruction system. As for the optical components of the projector, the targeting laser can be cannibalized for its glass and components for an incandescent bulb. As far as film goes, we can process the desk into safety film, and we should have enough left over to make the paper we need. Then any metallic components can be made using the steel in the bed."

I like it, but could we also start shaving down the door? Say, by a couple microns a day?
"You didn't seem too keen on escaping before. Why the change?"

No change, I'm just concerned with having other options for, eh... release.

"Understood, Shas'ui."

Explorator then sat in the center of the room, and waited for the nanobots to bring him the required materials. If anyone had been watching, it would have seemed to be the work of magic. The desk and bed simply dissolved into the ground, as if being consumed by it. Of course, this process is not without drawbacks, especially outside the anomalous Everfree. Nanobots, having such small cross sections, are able to withstand a bit more magic than Explorator did before his upgrade; however, this does not mean they can withstand all magic. In fact, legions of nanobots simply failed about halfway through their delivery. Most of these failures were of the mundane variety, but several were catastrophic enough that the nanobots exploded violently. Of course, nanobots are incredibly small, thus their explosions simply amounted to an odd glimmer of purple here and there.

Hmm... T'au, is there anything we can do to increase nanobot retention rates?

"Unfortunately, none that we know of."

A shame. We'll have to reclaim all the lost material.

"That can be arranged, Shas'ui"

Explorator waited, as the projector seemingly assembled itself from the floor right next to a stack of newly-minted documentation. Several reels of nitrate film soon arose as well, though slightly later due to the relative comlexity of the item in question.

Explorator stood up, and looked directly at the intercom.

"Where would you like these placed?" He asked of it.

"Where would we like what placed?" The speaker responded.

"I have a projector with accompanying film, as well as some accompanying documents. Please note, I will require a new bed, inkwell, desk, more stationary, and some replacement optics."

"Oh. In that case, simply leave everything by the door. A team will be dispatched to retrieve it."


Time since last contact: 4 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes, and 48 seconds.

Probability of probe loss- 93%

Probability of mission hindrance- 0%

Suggested course of action:

Assume probe loss

Classify Equinoids as Hostile and Dangerous.

Fetch area map.

Expand base of operation

Increase transmission strength

Request assistance from Earth.

Send general distress beacon.

Increase manufacturing capability

Fetch Schematics

Complete mission at all costs.


Explorator simply waited after the ponies had taken the presentation. It had already been over six hours. Explorator wasn't quite sure when his internment began, with his reset chronometer. Luckily, he could restore it when he got back to the Outpost, assuming he can escape.

I am sure they will be curious about how the furniture in my room has disappeared.

"True, but I doubt they will do anything rash. However, in better news, I believe I have a valid map of the surroundings. Currently working on pathfinding, but Projected path E-21 seems to be rather promising. It does require passing by what I can only assume to be an armory, not to mention the detour through the high-threat wing. This is only preliminary, however."

And the reactor room? Have you figured anything out about it?

"It seems to be the standard lead-and-steel affair, but the waste is a major concern. And not to mention primitive reactors' tendency to melt down quite easily."

Well, I suppose we could use that in the future.

"It would be inefficient, but yes. It is certainly an option. Though, a simulated meltdown may serve our purposes better. Fewer casualties, less fallout (both literal and political). Speaking of options; however, it's interesting that the Outpost hasn't tried to contact us. I'd hate to see what it would try to do if it got sent into emergency override."

Indeed. Grey goo is certainly a horrible way to go.

"Agreed, though its nanobots may have a hard time getting through the magic toward the edge of the forest."

Yeah, to be honest, I doubt it will spread beyond the magical anomaly that is that forest. Though I can't help thinking it may get up to something... rash.

Explorator's internal dialogue halted for a moment. It seems Silent Step has been attempting to contact him through the intercom.

"--llo? Can you hear me? 342?" She asked, concern beginning to creep into the edges of her speech.

"Yes?" Explorator responded.

"Oh. Good." Silent Step cleared her thought lightly. "I am told that you are to have a visitor today."

"I am unable to state if this is factually accurate."

"I know, I was simply being polite." Explorator could almost hear the smirk that Silent Step wore. "You will be visited by a pony today, one who I think you know extremely well."

"Princess Luna?" Explorator queried, as that was the only pony who simultaneously was not assigned to him and he knew.

"How did you--Nevermind. Yes, and you will be expected to act on your best behavior. Along with her will be two armed guards. All the standard 'breathe too hard and we'll kill you' rules still apply, doubly so around the Princess. Understand?" Silent Step asked.

"Affirmative. However, I wonder if it is tactically wise to allow royalty in with a POW." Explorator queried, intending to pry into the inner workings here.

Silent step sighs. However, she does not continue.

"Ah, well. I suppose I'm harmless enough anyway." Explorator said, noting Silent Step's possible annoyance.

Can I get an analysis on that, T'au?

"Yes, Shas'ui. Starting in depth analysis of sigh now."

"At any rate, the Princess will be visiting tonight. As such, all questioning will be suspended until after the visit. Is that clear?" Silent step finished.

"Of course. I will be here." Explorator replied to the surely-gone Silent Step.

Time passes...

Comments ( 4 )

That's a pretty cool bot.

Art reminded me about this nice song about one omnic..

I'll go and read this story.

Upd. Well, not so bad. I'm a sucker for AI exploration, so I see potential in this. One MAJOR flaw in all of this fic - how the hell they are talking? It wasn't even mentioned and ANY AI shouldn't make an oversight on such critical thing as communication. Other than that - it was pretty entertaining read.

8690312
Oh no! Dang, I had the talking thing in an earlier version of chapter one! Must've gotten thrown out with the bathwater. :twilightsheepish: Hmm... I'll have to rectify this...

So. I know that the ponies are just looking out for themselves but... They're kinda dicks to stuff not a pony....

Login or register to comment