• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 376 Views, 6 Comments

Bonding by Contrast - Foxy Socks



Two ponies are separated by their respective sections in Canterlot. Even so, they still try to maintain their friendship, even risking trouble.

  • ...
 6
 376

Inseparable

Rushing River always wanted a friend he could relate to; someone he could talk to. He had been lonely often. He was shy to a fault, but enjoyed helping others when he could. It was how he got his cutie mark after all.

The day he got it he was walking down a calm creek, just like the one in his cutie mark. He was exploring the wilderness next Canterlot at the time, without a care in the world. As he was exploring he heard a cry for help, and he rushed over to save a young filly from drowning in the ponies nearby. While it wasn't particularly deep, the filly he saved was young.

She would have been his first friend, but he never came across her again. Canterlot was a big city, and he didn't even know if she still lived there.

He couldn't waste an opportunity to make a new friend, so he jumped at the idea, seeming a little foolish.

It was 10:00 in the night, and neither of them were asleep. Honey sat in her bed, preparing herself. It wasn't going to be easy, but she had confidence. While her mother had told the guard to watch for Honey, she probably didn't anticipate what Honey was going to do next.

10:05 and all was quiet. Everything was eerily still, until she heard a light tap on the door. She had instructed for Rushing to use it as a signal as he passed by. Honey would wait a few minutes before going out.

Honey did so carefully, watching down the halls, before swiftly making her way for the balcony. As she planned, no one was in the area when she went there. She went to the edge before standing still, waiting for her next cue, which was easy to see.

At 10:12, She saw a small figure walk down the garden, talking to one of the guards. It didn't take them long for them both to leave the area, making Honey leap from the balcony to the garden.

Her flying had improved since meeting Stellar, who showed Honey how to fly quietly. Honey was still new to it, but her quieter gliding made it easier to go by undetected.

Once she made it to the ground she ran toward the street, with only a few unconcerned ponies nearby. Honey walked to the third street down from the mansion, and waited.

Honey planned for Rushing to distract the guards while she escaped by asking them to show him toward an area He tapped lightly on the door to show he was walking through, and he was the figure she saw earlier in the garden.

It was then 10:24. Honey waited a few minutes before Rushing came into view, panting.

"Somehow we didn't get caught. I ran down here in case somepony became suspicious," he said as he panted.

"You know that would probably make them more suspicious," Honey said in a slight sarcastic tone.

"Oh..." Rushing blushed.

"It's alright, just follow me for now."

Honey planned to go to the castle where the Royal Sisters lived, but of Honey had never been there. She also doubted they would just simply let her in, too. She hoped her idea would work.

It felt like forever getting there, half running, half walking. It was 11:16 by the time they got there. They saw the front hate come into view, guarded by a number of ponies, many whom were recognizable from being in the family. Not all were from the head family though. Some simply just joined despite having no affiliations, though it wasn't an easy task.

Honey and Rushing knew what to do next. Without hesitation, Rushing walked up to the gate and announced, "We have an important message for both Princess Luna and Celestia. It is urgent that we..." He was cut off as the Royal guards blocked his path. They seemed huge to him, and he started to panic. "Um, please..."

"Aw how cute."

"Uh, what was that?"

"Look at this, some cute little ones want to see the Princesses," the one in front of Rushing said, pointing toward the two.

"We really need to, it's an urgent um, message," Honey yelled, turning red.

"Aren't they adorable? We can't just disappoint them."

"What about their parents? They don't seem to be nearby," said a gray one.

Honey was furious by that point, angrily yelling, "Please, they aren't with us, we need to see Luna and Celestia now-"

"Aww she is so cute being angry. The Princesses would know what to do anyway."

"You sure?" asked another guard.

"We'll keep an eye on them. Though Luna would be the only one awake now, so we'll see her. How does that sound?" The large guard asked Rushing and Honey.

"Um uh, s-sure?" Honey stuttered. While it turned out differently as planned, it seemed to have worked.

The guards let them through, with four following behind, including the large one. He said, "Luna may be busy, so there is no guarantee... "

"Please, it is of most importance!" Honey said.

"Aww, alright, we'll find her, just a minute."

They reached a huge room, with a massive staircase. Honey and Rushing were told to wait there, and stood waiting.

"You really sure it will work?" asked Rushing.

"I hope so, I didn't expect it to happen this way. I hope they don't tell our parents."

"I know, I really want to see the Princesses, I uh mean to help out."

Honey giggled. "I want to see them too, especially Luna. I haven't seen her in pony before."

They stayed quiet for what felt like hours, waiting. Honey's eyelids started drooping, before Rushing shook her awake.

"There she is!"

Luna's presence was not as intimidating as the two worried. As she descended the stairs, she gave off a calming vibe, with a friendly look. Even from the distance she could be seen smiling.

She was still quite tall, making the two feel smaller. Her mane waved carelessly, yet in a relaxing way. It was beautiful to look at, and reminded Honey of Stellar.

"These two wanted to see you, should we stay here?"

"They're just children, you may leave," Luna said. Honey couldn't believe she was right in front of a Princess.

After the guards left, Honey began speaking. "Your Highness. There is an issue with my and a friend's families. You see, they just don't get a long."

Luna listened with a thoughtful look. "I see. Continue."

"They have to do with your sister's and your respective guard families. They just don't like each other, and-"

"-and they don't allow Honey to be friends with the Night ponies. Same with Her friend and her family," Rushing interrupted.

"I see, that's not a good thing at all. Can you tell me why they don't like it?" Luna asked.

"Well, all they said was that they were a distraction, that's all," Honey said.

Luna was silent for a moment, closing her eyes. Opening them, she said, "I think I should bring my sister into this, come with me."

Luna brought the two with her, up the many stairs to the throne room, down a seemingly endless hallway, before coming to a door with a sun engraved into it. There stood many guards, whom which Luna told politely to have the group alone for the time being.

"Wait here."

Luna went inside for a moment. Not too long after, a beautiful, faint pink Alicorn with a mane of colors similar to Luna's in form, walked out. Her eyes did seem quite droopy, along with her mane having been obviously hastily done.

"Oh goodness, two children. Forgive my look young ones, but I am not normally up for this, what seems to be the problem?" Celestia asked.

"Your Highness," Honey and Rushing said. They proceeded to tell their story, with tears in the process. Both Princesses had a sincere look, though Celestia's did look a little funny with her fatigued appearance. By the end of it both Rushing and Honey were bawling.

"Please... do something about it," Honey asked while crying.

Both sisters knew what to do. "Follow me," Luna told them, bringing them to the throne room. From there Luna told them to wait with her while Celestia left. It was silent for a few moments, but Luna decided to break the silence.

"Something will be done, I promise."

Honey quietly said, "Luna... you're my favorite Princess,"

"Really? I am? Thank you, you don't know how much it means. I have been lonely, and simple compliments like that make my night."

Rushing smiled. "Do you have a special somepony? You know, a coltfriend?" he asked.

Honey nudged him. "Don't ask her that!"

Luna laughed, surprising the two. Her laugh was loud and booming, not at all like they expected.

"I have a special somepony, but they are a marefriend. I've known her for some time. Her name is Foxy."

"Foxy? I don't know if I ever heard of her. I guess I'm surprised you're with a mare, that's all." Honey said.

"You probably wouldn't have heard of her. She's a pony from a small town. Also, there isn't anything wrong with liking mares. Don't always assume something about another pony."

"I guess. Like my parents..."

It was past midnight, but eventually she saw Celestia again, with a more serious look on her face. With her, she brought five ponies behind her. Honey instantly recognized them.

"It's Stellar and our parents!" Honey yelled. They both wasted no time hugging each other, glad they were back together. "Honey, it's good to be back. I know it's only been a few hours, but still."

"I know Stell, I know."

"All right," Celestia began. "I know we haven't always agreed on everything, but my dear sister and I still get along. It is unfortunate to hear the head families of each of our guards have been against each other. Actually, it's only really the four of you," she said directing toward the parents.

Silhouette became nervous. "I apologize greatly your Highness, but I prefer we stay away from each other. They only cause trouble."

Luna started speaking herself. "Really? I see two harmless ponies wanting to be friends. I see nothing wrong with that. I also only have heard problems between you four. From now on we are not to have problems, and if there are, these children should feel free to tell us."

"Yes, I agree. No pony will get in the way of a friendship like this. These two can feel free to come here anytime they please from now on, not just for problems," Celestia said.

"Furthermore these two children, Stellar Night, and Honey Suckle, shall be the new head of their respective families once they are of age-"

"Um, Celestia, I have different ideas," Honey interrupted.

Stellar chimed in, "Me too."

"What is it that you two could possibly want?" She asked.

"Well," Honey began. "I'd much rather be the head of the Night family."

"And I would rather be the head of the Day family too."

"Well then," Luna said. "Let it be so. When they are of age, Stellar Night shall be the head of the Day family, and Honey Suckle shall be the head of the Night family."

Honey and Stellar couldn't believe what was happening. Tears streamed down both of their faces. "The worst day evee turned out to be the best day ever," cried Stellar.

"I think it's time these ponies went to bed. Including you Stellar. You guys can sleep here tonight, or anytime you please. We both have rooms in each of our hallways if you prefer. And don't worry, you can still go back with your families too," Celestia said.

"What about the little colt? We can't just leave him," Luna said motioning toward Rushing.

"Can we have him come here, as a friend?" Honey asked.

"Wait, who is he?" Stellar asked.

"Rushing River. I'll tell you about him later."

"We can let him stay," replied Celestia.

"Really? Thank you so much!" Rushing jumped up and down.




The rest of the night was peaceful, and all ponies slept with ease. The two friends' bond grew stronger every day. Their families became less caustic, finally not only tolerating, but accepting each other.

"Honey Suckle, what I did was wrong, I am very sorry. Is there a way to make it up to you?" Petal Glow apologized.

"Oh mom, you already are," replied Honey, hugging both of her and Stellar's parents.

The two managed to successfully become head of their preferred families, still being friends with Rushing. Rushing found out that the filly he saved was Simplicity's daughter, becoming friends finally.

Though their families had contrast, they still managed to get along, and even accept and love one another.

Comments ( 6 )

A nice story with a satisfying conclusion. :ajsmug: The only problem is a few spelling and grammar errors. I think you should make a sequel. :pinkiehappy:

8358959
Thanks! There is a part or two I regret adding, but I'm glad you like it!

8360147
So, are you gonna make a sequel?

8360835
Hm, not sure yet, I'll see how it goes though.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and submit this to our contest, Foxy! :twilightsmile: I appreciate the time and effort you put into this nice little story very much. There are some spelling and grammar errors throughout, but overall what you came up with was very nice indeed, well done! :scootangel:

Login or register to comment