• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 6,144 Views, 652 Comments

Neighbors - Tethered-Angel



A familiar face moves into the sirens' apartment building.

  • ...
9
 652
 6,144

Chapter 14- Trust and Honesty

“Just where the fuck do you think you’re going?” Aria growled, grabbing Adagio’s arm before she could reach the front door.

“Work, obviously,” Adagio snapped back, yanking her arm free and gesturing to her freshly ironed blouse and skirt.

Aria crossed her arms and eyed her sister with a fierce glare. “Bullshit.”

“Guys?” Sonata piped up from the living room, “Can we not do this today? Please?”

“No, I’m tired of this!” Aria shouted. “You’ve been working unbelievable hours all week, and you’re gone all the time. You’re clearly hiding something, and it’s time for you to tell us the truth!”

“I told you, it’s just work!” Adagio insisted.

“No! It isn’t! And you know why?” Aria snapped, grabbing her phone and pointing at the date on the screen. “It’s Sunday, and the CanCom offices don’t fucking open on Sunday!”

Adagio blanched. She had become so wrapped up in everything, she had forgotten that detail. While Sugar Cube Corner did open for a few hours on Sunday, Canterlot Communications did not. “F-fine, I admit it. I’m not going to the office.”

“And?” Aria insisted, fixing her with a demanding look.

Adagio bit her lip, refusing to meet her sister’s eyes. Her heart hammered in her chest. It was the perfect opportunity. She could confess everything, spill it all, and maybe everything would work out for the better. She just needed…

“Dagi?” Sonata said quietly. “Dagi, please, we just want to know what’s going on.”

Adagio turned her back on them, leaning on the wall for support as she swallowed a thick lump in her throat. “I… I know. I owe you that much. But I really have to go. Meet me at that café the girls like, Sugar Cube Corner. Two o’clock. I’ll tell you everything. I… I promise.”

“I’ll hold you to that,” Aria grumbled. “Fine then, go on. But we will see you then.”

Wordlessly, Adagio nodded, and left the apartment.

==O==

Adagio shifted nervously on her feet as she knocked on Rarity’s door. She still had her key, but she could not bring herself to use it, not after last night. The girl had given her sound advice, advice she had promised to take to heart, only to blow it off at the first opportunity. She hardly deserved to-

“Coming, darling!” Rarity’s cultured voice called from somewhere in the house, shaking Adagio out of her thoughts. The sound of footsteps on hardwood reached the siren, and a moment later the door swung open and she was greeted with one of Rarity’s warm smiles. “Adagio, come in!” The girl said cheerily, but her face fell when she saw the siren’s haggard appearance. “Oh my, you don’t look well. Did something happen when you talked to your sisters?” She asked, ushering her inside.

Adagio shook her head weakly, following Rarity into the kitchen and slumping into a chair. “I didn’t tell them.” She looked at Rarity, a regretful gleam in her eye. “I- I couldn’t do it. Not alone.”

Rarity looked at her with a bemused expression. “What do you mean? What happened?”

“I was a coward,” Adagio sighed. “I wanted to tell them, and we all sat down together, but I just couldn’t bring myself to tell them the truth. And again, this morning, I…” She trailed off as her voice broke. “I’m weak.”

“You’re not weak,” Rarity assured her, stepping around and embracing her from behind. “You are a brave, beautiful woman. I know you’re nervous, but you can do this.”

Adagio nodded weakly. “I’m meeting them at Sugar Cube Corner, after hours. Could you… could you come too? For moral support?”

Rarity smiled. “I’d be happy to, darling.” She glanced at the clock. “Oh! You’d better not be late! Hurry up and change, quickly!”

Adagio followed the fashionista’s gaze and swore. She must have spent more time ruminating on the doorstep than she had realized. Pushing her chair, she thanked the girl and bolted upstairs to the guest room, where her uniform still awaited where she had left it the night before. She quickly stripped off her clothes and changed into the simple dress, glancing at the mirror to make sure her appearance was tidy and the apron was tied correctly. In her haste, she did not realize that the uniform had not only been cleaned, but ironed as well.

Leaving her clothes on the bed, she left the house in a rush, waving a quick farewell to her host. She had just enough time to catch the bus downtown.

==O==

Glaring at her computer screen, Aria thought about what had happened that morning. She had opened her big mouth again, and still failed to get any answers. Not only that, but she had completely disregarded Applejack’s sound advice, and it was eating her up.

Groaning, she shut off the computer and pulled out her phone. It rang twice before Applejack picked up.

“Howdy, sugarcube,” the farm girl answered with her typical country twang. “Everything alright?”

“No,” the siren groaned, “I pussed out.”

"Pardon?”

“I couldn’t do it. I pussed out like a little bitch.” Aria said caustically.

“Easy, girl, don’t be so hard on yerself.” Applejack told her, “It happens to the best of us. Like Ah said, feelings are complicated.”

“Yeah,” Aria said, halfheartedly. “I need a favor, can I come over for a bit?”

“Ah don’t see a problem with that. Ah’ll keep an eye out for ya.”

“Thanks,” Aria said, ending the call. “Sonata!”

“Yeah?” Her younger sister answered from the next room. Her voice was so low Aria barely heard it, even through the thin walls of the apartment. She must have been sulking about something.

“I’m going out!” Aria informed her, grabbing her coat and apartment keys as she stepped out of her room.

“Wait, you can’t!” Sonata protested, grabbing her sister’s arm. “We promised to meet Dagi at Sugar Cube Corner!”

“I will,” Aria said testily, yanking her arm free of Sonata’s grip. “I just want some fresh air.”

“Oh,” Sonata said, looking downcast. “Okay.”

Rolling her eyes, Aria left.

==O==

Adagio smiled over the counter as she handed a customer a takeout box of a dozen cupcakes. Although it was technically only her first day, she found that the bakery had done her mood a lot of good. The atmosphere was perpetually friendly, and the smell of fresh baked goods pervaded the air, leaving her mind abuzz with wonderful sensations. For all her excessive energy, Pinkie was an absolute joy to work with, always eager to lend a smile and a helping hand any time Adagio was unsure of something. The girl more than knew her was around the bakery, and the customers.

Although it had been a short day, Adagio felt incredibly gratified. She had a job, and it was much less impersonal than the cold aloofness of the call center. People came in genuinely happy, instead of complaining about poor service or challenging overdue charges.

Her day only improved when the front door opened and Rarity stepped in. The siren glanced at the clock. Fifteen minutes to closing time. Perfect. She smiled and called out a greeting.

“Hello, and welcome to Sugar Cube Corner!”

Rarity smiled widely before stepping over to the counter. “Hello, darling. My, you do look adorable in that outfit.”

Adagio blushed heavily and cleared her throat. “T-thank you. Um, do you want to order anything while you wait? It will be a few minutes yet.”

“Hi Rarity!” Pinkie called suddenly, stepping out from the back with a banana split balanced on top of her curls. Her hands were occupied with a pair of milkshakes piled high with whipped cream. She wobbled back and forth as the ice cream teetered on her head, but managed to right herself with an amazing disregard for gravity.

“Hello Pinkie,” Rarity said, taking it all in stride. She and Adagio stared after the pink girl as she delivered the desserts to the last occupied table in the café. Giggling, the fashionista turned her head back to Adagio. “Anyway, I suppose I’ll have a strawberry muffin, and a fresh cup of decaf, if you would.”

“I’ll get that for you right away!” Adagio smiled, turning to warm up the coffee pot before fetching the requested muffin from behind the counter.

“You certainly seem to be in a better mood this afternoon,” Rarity remarked as the siren returned with her order.

“This is a lovely place, and Pinkie is an absolute gem,” Adagio replied as she handed Rarity her change.

“Well, I think it’s a good look for you,” Rarity smiled, giving her a wink and dropping a couple dollars into the tip jar. Adagio watched her stroll over to a free table, and smiled. With her there, facing her sisters did not seem like nearly so daunting a prospect.

==O==

“Thanks for coming with me, Sunny,” Sonata said as she waited for the crossing signal, across the street from the bakery.

“It’s no problem, Nata. I know how nervous you are about the whole thing.” Sunset said, placing a hand on the siren’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. Whatever happens, they aren’t going to stop loving you.”

Sonata smiled. “I know. But it’s nice to hear it again.”

Sunset laughed. “Once this is all over with, you can hear it straight from them.”

Just then the light changed, and the crosswalk buzzed to let them know it was safe to go. Sunset looked both ways before stepping forward, and noticed a beat up old truck parked near the bakery. “Huh, that’s interesting, looks like Applejack’s truck is here.”

“Really?” Sonata asked. “Well, Aria did say she was going out, and I think she’s been hanging out with AJ a recently. Maybe she got a ride.”

“Maybe,” Sunset agreed as they stepped back onto the sidewalk. “Huh, looks like they haven’t gotten out yet, let’s go say ‘hi.’”

“Okiee dokiee,” Sonata nodded, following the redhead. When they got to the vehicle, Sunset raised her fist and lightly rapped on the window, making both occupants jump. They whirled toward the window, revealing that it was, in fact, Applejack and Aria. Applejack rolled down the window.

“Howdy, sugarcube,” The farm girl smiled. “Ah imagine yer here for the same reason Ah am.”

“Moral support slash friendship intervention?” Sunset asked, chuckling. “Yup.”

“Hi Ari,” Sonata said, waving to her sister.

“Hey Nata,” Aria said reservedly. She did not exactly sound happy, but it was better than the irritation and general anger she had been carrying around for the last several days.

“Well, looks like we’re all here, and it’s about two o’clock.” Applejack said, checking her watch. “What say we all mosey on in?”

The others agreed, and Aria and Applejack stepped out of the truck to join the others on the sidewalk. Then as one they made their way to the entrance.

==O==

The eldest siren glanced at Pinkie. “You’re sure it’s alright for us to do this here?”

“Yupperooni,” Pinkie confirmed, “The Cakes live upstairs, but it’s date night so I’m watching the kids for them. Mrs. Cake said I could have a few friends over, as long as things don’t get rowdy and we clean up after ourselves. Oh, and help yourself to anything on that counter over there. It’s all perishable so they’d have to throw it out in the morning anyway.”

“Thank you, Pinkie,” Adagio said sincerely. “For everything.”

“No problem, my fellow floofy friend!” Pinkie chirped, giggling. “If you need me, I’ll be upstairs with the twins! Let me know when you’re done so I can lock up!” And she disappeared, sprinting upstairs.

As if on cue, the doors parted, and her sisters entered the nearly deserted bakery. They stopped, as if in tandem, their mouths dropping at the sight of Adagio in her new uniform. Behind them, Sunset and Applejack entered as well, looking nearly as surprised as the sirens. Adagio glanced at Rarity. Clearly she was not the only one who brought a friend along for moral support.

At Rarity’s behest, the four newcomers stepped over to join her at her table, giving Adagio a second to calm her nerves. She took several deep breaths, then straightened her back to give herself a façade of confidence. Then, she went to greet her sisters. To tell them the truth.

“Hello girls,” The eldest siren said, “Well, this is it. This is the secret I’ve been hiding.”

“I don’t get it,” Sonata said unsurely, “You’re working a second job?”

“Not… not exactly. No.” Adagio admitted.

Aria crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair. “I think you have a lot of explaining to do, Adagio.”

Rarity nudged Sunset and Applejack, motioning them to follow her to another table. “We will be over here if any of you need us. Come, let’s give them a little privacy. I’m not sure everything they have to say is for our ears.” The others nodded their assent, and the sirens watched as they vacated to just out of earshot, before Adagio took the seat Rarity had occupied previously.

“So,” Aria said, clearly struggling to maintain her composure, “You’re working here now. That’s… odd.”

Adagio took a deep breath to clear her thoughts. No more holding back. She could not afford to stretch their trust any farther. After a moment, she decided the direct approach was best. “I lost my job at Canterlot Communications.”

What?” Aria hissed.

Sonata looked at Adagio with a shell-shocked expression. “F-for realsies?”

Adagio nodded. “I had an argument with Paper Cut about my hours. He didn’t like that I was pulling so much overtime to keep up with my increasing call quotas. I lost my patience and I threatened him, and that was that. I was told to leave the office and not return.”

“I knew that rat bastard was trouble!” Aria growled. Her outburst drew the attention of the girls at the other table, but she waved them away.

“Why didn’t you just tell us?” Sonata whimpered.

Adagio bowed her head in shame. “No job, meant no income, meant no apartment. I knew we would be on borrowed time, and was terrified. I didn’t want you two to have to worry.” She frowned, then looked up to meet her sisters’ eyes. “No, that’s an excuse. While it was part of it, the real reason is, I was… I didn’t want to tell you that I’d failed you again.” Her body shook as she repressed the sobs that tried to force themselves free. It was not the time to cry. Not yet.

“Oh, Dagi,” Sonata said, grabbing her sister’s hand tenderly. She glanced at Aria. “We forgive you, right Aria?”

“You utter. Fucking. Moron!” Aria seethed. “You didn’t want us to worry? We’ve hardly done anything else for the last week and a half! We’re supposed to be a team, a family, whatever! But you couldn’t even trust us enough to tell us something was up! That- that’s how I feel!”

“But the money-” Adagio choked out, but Aria was far from finished.

“Forget the damned money!” The middle siren cried, “We don’t care about the money! We were never worried about the money! We were worried about you, you stupid, fucking quim!” Adagio flinched at the insult, but Aria was far from done. She pulled out her cell phone and began fiddling with the screen.

“Money would have never been a fucking issue if you’d just swallow your damn pride and let me help you,” Aria growled, finally beginning to run out of steam. “Well, now I’m not giving you a choice. Pull out your damn phone, which I paid for by the way, and check our fucking bank account.”

Confused and reeling from the vitriol-filled tirade, Adagio did as her sister demanded. It took her a minute and a couple of false starts, but eventually she managed to open her banking app. When she saw the numbers, she gasped. “Aria, this- this is enough to pay our rent for the next year!”

Aria crossed her arms, leaning back in her chair with a smug expression on her face. “And there’s a lot more where that came from. I told you, I can help with this shit. You just have to fucking let me.”

“A-Aria,” Adagio said, still in a state of shock, “This- this is- how much do you have?

Aria looked away, suddenly uncomfortable. “Enough,” She said.

“E-enough to buy a house?” Adagio asked, eyes shining brightly.

Aria hesitated, then nodded slowly. “Yes.”

“Aria, why haven’t we bought a house!?” Adagio demanded excitedly, “We could have a place that’s really our own, something permanent! Wouldn’t you like that?” She and Sonata both looked at their sister expectantly.

Aria sucked in a breath through her teeth, preparing to deliver the bad news. “Yes, I could buy a house. We could buy a house. But we aren’t going to.”

“What? Why not?” Adagio asked.

Aria sighed. “Adagio… this is going to sound mean, but for once I’m not trying to be. You suck with money.”

Sonata giggled as Adagio crossed her arms, fixing Aria with a cold stare. “What do you mean by that.”

“Look,” Aria started, before grinding to a halt with a groan. “Ugh, Applejack said I should try to be more open with my feelings, so here goes. Don’t get used to it. I admire your determination, Dag. You always do what it takes to keep us off the streets, whether it’s working a shitty job or seducing some rich old bastard. But, for all the fortunes we’ve had, for all the palaces and mansions we’ve lived in over the years, we always somehow ended up with nothing.”

“Girls,” She said, talking to both Adagio and Sonata, “We’re over a thousand years old, and not getting any older. Unless losing our gems changed a lot of things, we are going to be around for a long, long time. We are going to have to move around, and we have to be able to take our assets with us. A house can’t travel, Adagio.”

“We could get a house boat!” Sonata chimed in.

Aria smiled at her. “As long as I’m making myself do this, I guess I’d better tell you how much I love your optimism, Sonata.” Her expression turned dark. “That never leaves this table, understand?” The others nodded, hiding smiles behind artificially serious expressions.

“Good,” Aria said. “Anyway, I have enough that, if we live frugally, we can get by pretty comfortably on just my interest. But from now on, I’m controlling our finances.” She gave Adagio a stern look before the older siren could form a protest. “Consider this a hostile takeover, you couldn’t stop me if you tried. But really, Adagio. Do us all a favor and take a break. You deserve it.”

Adagio smiled, an honest, sincere smile, and blinked a few tears from her eyes. “I don’t know what to say, Aria. I should be mad. A lot of what you said hurts, but I can’t deny that it was the truth. And… I’m sorry I didn’t trust you more.”

“Adagio,” Aria said, looking around uncomfortably, “I’m not making you apologize, I know how much you hate it. Really, don’t.”

“No, it needs to be said,” Adagio said firmly. “I need to say this, to get it off my chest and to clear the air. Aria, Sonata, you’ve been by my side for so many years, even when I made mistakes, even after losing our magic. I should know by now that I can trust you with, well, everything. If I had just been open about my problems, instead of trying to do everything myself, I could have saved us all a lot of trouble and heartache. So, I’m sorry.”

Her sisters just stared at her for a moment, completely unsure what to say. Adagio, their older sister, their fearless leader, had apologized to them. It felt strange. Wrong somehow, but at the same time, right. It was impossible to explain, but her words stirred up a strange warmth in all three of the sirens’ chests.

Sonata was the first to process it. “I love you guys!” She cried, yanking her sisters out of their chairs and into a tearful embrace. “You two are the best.”

“I love you too, Nata,” Adagio said. Aria managed an uncomfortable shrug, but her sisters knew her well enough to understand the sentiment behind it.

Finally, they broke the hug, and took a step away from each other to regain their space. “Well, I guess you can finally lose that goofy uniform,” Aria said, laughing at Adagio’s sudden blush.

“Actually… I think I’ll stay. I owe Mrs. Cake that much, and I think I’ve found that I quite enjoy working here. Plus,” She gave a little twirl, causing her short skirt to flare out around her stockinged legs, “I think I look rather cute, don’t you?”

Aria rolled her eyes. “Whatever, do what you want I guess. You can use the money to treat your lady friend over there,” She scoffed, jerking her head in Rarity’s direction. Adagio huffed, refusing to rise to the bait.

“Waaaaitaminute!” Sonata blurted, interrupting their spat. “You still didn’t tell us how you got this job!”

Adagio sighed. “I suppose I haven’t quite finished my story. I’m sure you might have guessed, but the day I got fired was over a week ago, when I suddenly stayed the night at Rarity’s. I was too ashamed and embarrassed to return home to face you, and she was generous enough to let me have a hot shower and a place to sleep.”

“After that,” She continued, “The reason I was always out so late was that I was spending nearly every waking moment looking for a job. I was still too proud to admit my failure to you, and I wanted to have something to soften the blow when I finally did tell you. I suppose that was rather selfish of me.”

“And stupid,” Aria added.

“Yes, Aria, and stupid. Thank you for the reminder,” The eldest siren replied sarcastically.

“So,” Sonata intervened, “All that overtime and stuff was actually you going out and looking for a job?”

Adagio nodded in confirmation.

“You realize I could have found you something else like, immediately, right?” Aria asked, sounding surprisingly sincere, rather than irritated.

Adagio buried her face in her hands to hide her blush. “I am aware.”

“You’re an idiot,” Aria said, and Adagio could not suppress a bark of laughter.

“So what about Rarity?” Sonata asked, glancing back at the other group.

“I could not have done everything I did without her support. That first night when I went to her house, I ended up telling her everything. I was distraught, and my internal filter had worn quite thin. Since she already knew everything, she became my confidant, and even offered her home as a sort of sanctuary that I could return to when it all became too much. She was an absolute darling about the whole thing, and helped me out many times. If it weren’t for her, I’m not sure I would have had the courage to tell you the truth before it was too late.” She sighed. “I regret that I did not trust you girls with the truth, but I do not regret trusting her.”

Once again, all three sirens turned their attention to the other table. Sunset, Applejack, and Rarity were all chatting amicably over a platter of cupcakes. Even Pinkie had returned, holding one of the Cake babies balanced on her hip, while Sunset cooed at the other one which she had cradled in her own arms.

“Yeah, you weren’t the only one who needed advice on this whole shitstorm,” Aria begrudgingly admitted. “I should be mad that you pulled one of them into our personal business, but I got Applejack into the whole thing, so yeah.” She shook her head. “Hate to admit it, but I probably wouldn’t have been willing to hear you out if I hadn’t listened to her advice.”

“I brought Sunny,” Sonata said, “You know, if anyone was wondering…” She trailed off.

Adagio laughed, a short, genuine laugh. “And they were all willing to put up with our drama,” She said in wonder. “What did we ever do to deserve them?”

“Brainwash their entire school in a desperate bid to steal their magic and take over the world?” Aria suggested drily. They stared at the girls a moment longer, before breaking into a chorus of laughter.

“So, does this mean no more fighting?” Sonata asked hopefully.

“Oh no,” Aria said, still laughing, “I’m sure there’ll be plenty of that to go around still.”

“We are sisters, after all,” Adagio finished for her, “But I think we’ll be alright.”

“Aw heck!” Sonata said happily, “That’s good enough!” She reached out and pulled her sisters into another crushing embrace, squealing with joy. “You two are the best!”

“I love you too, Nata,” Adagio chuckled.

“Can’t… breathe!” Aria gasped.

==O==

The revelry lasted long into the afternoon. The sirens got a collective pat on the back from their friends once they explained the general story, and conversation soon turned to happier things, such as the upcoming Nightmare Night holiday. Sunset was planning a party at the apartment, and took the opportunity to make sure the sirens knew they were all invited.

As dusk began to fall, Pinkie had to shoo them out of the restaurant so she could lock up and put the twins to bed. The six girls waved goodbye, and stepped out onto the street.

“Ah’d offer to take everyone home, but Ah’m afraid the truck won’t fit everyone,” Applejack said, pulling her keys from the pocket.

“That’s okay,” Sunset said, “Just take Rarity, the rest of us are all heading the same place, right?” The sirens nodded and made general noises of assent.

“Alrighty then,” Applejack said, “Sounds like a plan. Don’t forget it’s a school night.”

Sunset chuckled. “Yes, mom, I got it,” She said with a good-natured grin.

“Actually, I’d like to borrow Rarity for a minute,” Adagio said, looking to the fashionista. She nodded, and the two moved to step away from the group. “I know we all said it earlier, but I would like to thank you personally for all the help you’ve given me over the last two weeks.”

“It was my pleasure, darling,” Rarity said with a wide smile.

Silence befell the two for a moment as Adagio stared at the sidewalk. “I, um… I’ll swing by after work tomorrow, to pick up my clothes and return the spare key.”

“Oh, yes…” Rarity said with a sigh, “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“So... see you then, I suppose.”

“Indeed.”

The two were silent for a moment longer, and then Adagio turned to leave. Before she could take more than two steps, however, Rarity’s nimble fingers caught the sleeve of her coat. “Actually,” The fashionista said, “I think I’d prefer for you to keep it. I’m sure it’s much safer with you than under the mat. And… do make a point to visit, won’t you?”

Adagio smiled. “That sounds like a wonderful plan.”

With a final goodbye, they parted ways, and Adagio made her way home, accompanied by her sisters and her friend.

==O==

Night had well fallen by the time the quartet returned to their apartment building. Aria grabbed her key and turned the handle, opening the door ahead of the others. “Well, come on, I’m not gonna wait all night,” She said impatiently, holding the door.

“Actually,” Sunset said, “I’d like to talk to Adagio myself for a little, if that’s alright.”

Adagio glanced at her sisters, then shrugged. “I don’t see why not. I have my keys, so don’t wait up for me.”

“Whatever,” Aria said as she went inside, Sonata following right behind.

“Can we walk for a bit?” Sunset asked once the others were out of earshot.

Adagio nodded, falling into step behind the girl. “What is this about, Miss Shimmer?” She asked warily.

Sunset took a few moments to gather her thoughts as they strolled down the alley, taking a turn down a back road to the overgrown park the next street over. “Adagio,” She said at last, “I need to apologize for my behavior. I’ve said a lot of things that I thought were just jokes, but I’m afraid that I’ve hurt both you and your trust in me. For that I am truly sorry.”

Adagio looked at her sideways as the pavement underfoot gave way to brown grass. “What are you referring to?”

“My implications that you aren’t allowed to try to date my friends.” Sunset answered. “I meant it as a joke, just something to tease you about how much of a flirt you are sometimes, but I guess it got out of hand. I didn’t mean to make you feel threatened, or like you needed my blessing or anything.”

“That is certainly true, if I were interested in seducing one of your friends, there would be little you could do to stop me, short of resorting to physical violence.” Adagio laughed sharply. “But you have nothing to apologize for. I knew full well that your comments were in jest, but I chose to lash out at you anyway, because you were there. And I know full well how the misunderstanding regarding Rarity came about, and will fully admit that we have grown quite close as friends over the last two weeks. But that is all.”

“But,” Sunset said, but Adagio raised a hand to stop her.

“There is nothing for you to be sorry for. If anything, I should apologize to you.” Adagio flinched as the words left her mouth, but she pressed on regardless. “Tartarus, I’ve already said it to my sisters several times today. Once more will hardly do my pride any lasting damage.” She turned to Sunset and placed a hand on her shoulder, looking deeply into her sea colored eyes. “Sunset, I am sorry for the way I treated you after I lost my job. It was absolutely uncalled for, and was unbecoming of myself as a lady and as your friend. I hope you can forgive me for my behavior.”

Sunset sniffed, and suddenly Adagio found herself pulled into a tight hug for the third time that day, nearly enough to lift her off her feet. “Thank you, Adagio,” Sunset said, her voice muffled through the mass of Adagio’s hair. “I was so worried that I’d betrayed your trust, I just… thank you.” She pulled away, sniffing and wiping her nose on her sleeve. “Sorry, it’s just… yes, I forgive you, Adagio. Always.” She extended her hand towards the siren. “Friends?”

Adagio glanced at the offered hand, then clasped it in her own. “Friends.”

==O==

Aria perched at the edge of her seat, glaring at the computer screen casting a bluish glow over her darkened bedroom. Eyes flickering back and forth, she scanned dozens of articles and stock reports, searching out every iota of data about Canterlot Communications. This was her domain, her hunting ground.

It was how she made her fortune.

Stocks. A strange economical phenomenon to be sure, one she had watched with rapt interest since its inception. It had always intrigued her, and she began dabbling in it the first chance she got.

There had been mistakes. Bad guesses and unexpected market crashes had robbed her of hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years, but she always sprang back, learned from her mistakes. She had the greatest advantage in the world: time. No one could ever hope to rival her level of experience in trading. She had been at it nearly two hundred years.

True, many people made more off the market than she did. Luck, skill, a cutthroat attitude, all these things could give a human the advantage in the market. But she was not there to build an empire. She could not afford the attention. But three million dollars could go a very long way, if one were careful. And Aria was always careful.

Finally, she returned her attention to Canterlot Communications. Rumor had it they were expecting to be bought out within the next year, thanks to an extremely lucrative deal with Equestrian Cable. They had been preparing themselves for integration, slimming down the company to make its transition more manageable. According to various sources, as much as thirty to fifty percent of non-managerial staff had been let go across the board, with a projected estimate of eighty to ninety percent over the coming months.

Aria seethed. Adagio had filled her in on the rest of the story with Paper Cut on the ride home. Once she got past Adagio’s guilt complex, it was as plain as day who was truly responsible for the incident. She was called into that office to be fired, no two ways about it. Not for anything she had done, but for the company’s profit.

If that had been all, though, Aria would have let it slide. What did she care if some rich CEO screwed over a few peons to make a buck? Companies preyed on consumers and employees, and women like her preyed on CEOs. That was simply how the world worked.

But Paper Cut had made it personal. He had toyed with her sister, and insulted her to her face, for the sole purpose of provoking a reaction. Maybe it was some power play, maybe it was an excuse to deny her rightful severance pay. Whatever the reason, Paper Cut would suffer for it.

Cracking her neck, Aria read through her portfolios. Just as she suspected, CanCom was there, listed in bold as one of her most lucrative properties. She had seen early on how valuable they would become, and snapped up as much share as she could. It was part of the reason she had set Adagio up there. If things continued as they were, she stood to make her fourth million, easily. Pity. Cracking her knuckles, she pulled up her email and prepared a message, addressed to the CEO of Canterlot Communications.

rosethorn@trotmail .com
to moneybags@cancom .com
Subject: 17%

I am sure you can easily verify that that is the amount of your company’s shares I own. That makes me the biggest shareholder in your company. As such I have a certain demand, that will be met if you want your buyout to go smoothly.

There is a middle manager in one of your offices by the name of Paper Cut. He has been causing trouble, and I want him taken care of. Take a long, close look at his affairs. I am confident you will manage to find something worth firing him over. It hardly matters what, as long as he is gone.

With that, she sent the message. It was short and curt, but it got the point across. Those stocks were worth a lot of money, but only so long as investors had faith them. How quickly that faith might dissolve if, say, one of the most prominent shareholders were to sell her seventeen percent for mere pennies? It might cost her a lot of money, but it was worth it.

She leaned back in her chair, whistling to herself in satisfaction. By that time next week, she would have her revenge, one way or the other. Giggling, she spun in a circle. Who said she had to play nice, just because she lost her magic?

Author's Note:

Well, that finally concludes this arc! I hope you all enjoyed it, and I hope the resolution is satisfactory to all. I was tempted to try and divide this into two chapters, since it was so long and covered so much stuff, but it really all had to happen together. That's how it goes sometimes!