• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 6,132 Views, 652 Comments

Neighbors - Tethered-Angel



A familiar face moves into the sirens' apartment building.

  • ...
9
 652
 6,132

Chapter 13- Advice

Sonata’s heels kicked idly at the side of the old warehouse as she stared dejectedly out over the railroad tracks three floors below. Clutched tightly to her chest was the giant plush seahorse Aria had given her after her first performance with the Pony Tones. She knew it was from Aria, even if her sister had tried to be sneaky about it. Adagio would have just given it to her.

Sonata sniffed as she stroked the toy’s plush fur. Its purple coloration had earned it the nickname Aria the Second, because it reminded Sonata so much of her older sister’s siren form. She liked to believe that had been intentional on Aria’s part.

The crunch of footsteps on gravel caught her attention, and she glanced behind her to see a pair of booted legs walking toward her. “O-oh, hi Sunset,” She said wistfully.

“Hey Nata,” Sunset said, giving a slight wave in greeting. “Whatcha doing up here?”

Sonata sighed, banging her forehead against the roof’s railing. “I ruin everything.”

There was another crunch and a scrape as Sunset stepped up onto the concrete ledge and sat down beside the depressed siren, knocking a few loose stones over the edge as she did so. “Is that so?” she asked with a friendly, yet teasing smirk. “You wanna talk about it?”

“Uh-huh,” Sonata confirmed, nodding without removing her head from the pole.

Sunset was silent for a minute, waiting for Sonata to elaborate. When she continued to say nothing, just staring out over the tracks, Sunset cleared her throat. “Well, go on. I’m listening.”

Sonata sighed, squeezing her plush as she took a deep breath. Closing her eyes to steel herself, she released the breath in an explosive huff and let everything spill out at once. “Ari and Dagi were fighting this morning and Ari said something that made Dagi mad but she didn’t realize it so she just kept going, and Dagi snapped at her but I think she wasn’t really angry, just hurt, but then she stormed off and I wasn’t able to make anybody feel better and then I yelled at Ari for being mean to Dagi and she left too and now I’m all alone and I feel bad and it’s all my fault.” Her shoulders slumped in a dejected hunch.

“Oh, Nata,” Sunset said, wrapping an arm around the youngest siren’s shoulders, “Don’t worry, everything will be alright. I’m sure that whatever’s going on, they aren’t mad at you. I bet they just need a little time to cool off.”

“No, they hate me,” Sonata sniffled.

“They don’t hate you, Sonata,” Sunset assured her, giving her shoulder another squeeze. “Why would you ever think that?”

“B-because,” The siren stuttered, leaning into the hug, “They w-won’t listen to me, a-and they just keep fighting, and they don’t want to be around me anymore because I just made it worse.”

Sunset reached up, tucking a lock of hair out of the siren’s face, behind her ear. “I don’t think you did anything wrong, Sonata. I don’t know what you said, but it sounds like Aria needed a bit of a dressing-down, and I bet she knows it. I already know how stubborn she can be. But let me tell you this: your sisters love you, so much.”

“F-for realsies? You really think so?” Sonata asked her shakily.

Sunset nudged her. “I know so,” She smiled. “You remember a couple of weeks ago, when you spent the night at Fluttershy’s without telling them, right?”

“Uh-huh,” Sonata nodded.

“They were worried sick about you!” Sunset reminded her. “Aria was practically bouncing off the walls with how worried she was, and Adagio was just as anxious, once she decided you hadn’t had some secret tryst with Fluttershy at least.”

Sonata giggled, wiping away her tears. “She r-really thought that?” She asked.

“Oh yeah, for sure. She had this crazy theory that you’d been sneaking out to see her all week, to seduce her or something.” Sunset grinned.

“Ha, that’s silly. If I wanted to bang Fluttershy, I’d just say ‘hey, let’s fuck!’” Sonata said.

“W-what!?” Sunset spluttered, whipping her head toward the siren.

Sonata doubled over in laughter. “Hehe, I got you good! Seriously, I’d at least bring flowers or something.”

“R-right…” Sunset said, giving her a strange look. She crossed her arms, releasing Sonata from her hug. “Well, I’m glad you’re feeling better at least.”

“I am, thanks to you!” Sonata chirped, grabbing Sunset in a hug of her own. “So, did you really mean everything you said? That wasn’t just a trick to make me feel better, right?”

Sunset shook her head. “No, she really thought you and Fluttershy were an item.”

“No, I meant the rest…” Sonata corrected, her tone more serious.

“Every word,” Sunset confirmed, blushing a bit at her misunderstanding. “Trust me, they care about you a lot, maybe more than you know. They’ll listen to you, you’ve just got to have the courage to get past the fact that they’re your older sisters.”

“Thanks, Sunset,” Sonata said, releasing her grip and turning her attention back to the stuffed seahorse in her lap. “I- I’ll try.”

The two sat in silence for a while longer, just staring out over the tracks lost in thought. Finally Sunset said, “Hey Sonata, can I ask you a question?” Sonata nodded, stroking her fingers down the toys soft back as she fixed Sunset with her full attention. “What do you think of me?” Sunset asked.

Sonata tilted her head in confusion. “What? What do you mean?”

“I mean, as a person,” The high schooler clarified. “You’re not… scared of me, are you?”

The siren hummed in thought. “Well,” She said, “I used to be. I thought you were gonna track us down and hit us with another giant horse laser to finish us off for good.”

“Oh,” Sunset said dejectedly.

“But now that I’ve gotten to know you, I know you’re really a nice person,” Sonata continued. “You let me sing with you, and helped me make friends with your friends. I even got to perform again because of you!” She smiled brightly. “So I guess what I’m saying is, I really like you. You’re one of my best friends!”

“Thanks, Sonata,” Sunset said, returning the smile, “That really means a lot to me.”

==O==

The rumble of a tractor engine filled the air at Sweet Apple Acres. Grunting with exertion, Aria hefted another stack of wooden baskets off the back of the trailer, before dropping them between the next pair of apple trees. Rolling her shoulders, she separated the stack into six bushels, arranging three around each tree before turning back to the trailer for the next armful.

Applejack’s older brother, Big Macintosh, was seated atop the tractor, and Applejack herself was on the other side, mirroring Aria’s process with the trees in the next row over. The girls worked at roughly the same rate, and Big Mac was able to drive at a relatively steady rate, reaching the next set of trees as soon as the girls were ready for the next stacks of baskets.

“Thanks for all the help, sugarcube,” Applejack huffed as she hoisted another stack off the trailer. “Sure goes a lot faster with three.”

“Yeah, I bet stopping every four trees to move the damn tractor is a pain in the ass,” Ari replied breathlessly. The trio were spending the day preparing the trees for the harvesters to pick over the next week as the trees ripened. Aria had caught the siblings in the field that morning, and offered to help, as she had been looking for Applejack anyway and had little else to do. Besides that, she reasoned that she owed the farm girl for the help with the boiler a week and a half ago. Still, “I’m a bit jealous of Big Mac over there, sitting pretty while the girls do all the work!” She said it loudly enough for the young man to easily hear it.

“Eeyup!” He called back, waving lazily before taking a long, deliberate sip from his bottle of iced tea.

“Jackass!” Aria shouted, flipping him the bird, though it was all in good humor. For some reason, it felt really good to be out doing something physical. She had been spending too much time at her computer lately. Maybe she would make a habit of it. Not too often though.

Applejack chuckled. “Sorry ‘bout that, Granny don’t like non-family driving the tractor. Something with the insurance.”

Aria shrugged. “Eh, no big deal. I don’t actually know how to drive.” She grabbed another stack and began setting them around the next pair of trees. It was rather repetitive work, and hot too. She had taken a cue from Applejack and removed her jacket, twisting it up and tying it around her waist by the sleeves, but even so she had worked up a good sweat. She had not exactly arrived wearing farm clothes, but she could hardly say she cared. Her jeans were faded and worn, and her tee shirt was torn and bleached in places. She always trended toward the punk look when she had a lot on her mind.

“Ya’ll can’t drive?” Applejack asked incredulously. “Ah’d have thought that’d be something ya’d want to pick up.”

“Not really. Cities aren’t really great for owning cars, and my sisters and I try to avoid rural areas and small towns. Much easier to remain anonymous when you’re surrounded by something like a million other schmucks.” Aria answered. “Besides, we’d need to find an instructor, and I’m not sure I’d trust a thrall to drive a roaring death rocket.”

Applejack laughed. “Well hay, if ya need a teacher, Big Mac’ll be happy to do it, won’t ya Mac?”

“Eeyup!” Big Macintosh answered, again shouting to be heard over the rumble of the engine.

Applejack winked at Aria. The siren made a point to roll her eyes, though she could not hide the smirk that flashed across her face. Applejack chuckled. “Anyway, he’s real patient with it. Taught both me and Apple Bloom.”

“Wait,” Aria cut her off, “Apple Bloom can drive?”

“Well sure,” Applejack answered, “She’s been driving the pickup around the farm since she was ten. Supervised of course. Next month she’ll be old enough to get her permit.”

“Holy shit,” Aria blinked. “They let kids drive those things!?”

Applejack laughed. “Ah know how ya feel. We still don’t let her near it when her friends are over. Always keep the keys with either me or Mac.” She patted her pocket, eliciting a faint jingling sound. “Apple Bloom Ah trust. But the three of them together?”

“Eenope,” Big Mac answered, finishing her thought.

“Ah, well that’s why this world’s so dangerous,” Aria griped, grabbing the last stack of baskets. They were at the end of the row. “Hey, big guy, we need a restock!” She shouted. “Oh, and you’re totally gonna owe me a drink after this!”

“Eeyup!” The farmer called back, throwing the tractor into a higher gear and rumbling off toward the barn.

Aria turned toward Applejack, just in time to catch her knowing look. “What?” She demanded.

“Ah thought ya were just messing with me the other day, but ya have a crush on mah brother, don’cha?” Applejack said with a shit-eating grin.

“Up yours, Apples!” Aria shot back with a blush. Bending over, she found a bad apple on the ground and chucked it at the farmer. Applejack ducked the fruit and laughed. Aria growled, “I like strong guys, okay!? Sue me. Besides, he has a cute butt.”

“Eech, sorry, too much information!” Applejack protested, throwing her hands over her ears and nearly knocking her Stetson off. Aria laughed and rand past her, grabbing the hat for herself and putting it on her head. Applejack rolled her eyes.

“So, what did ya wanna talk to me about anyway?” Applejack asked, snatching her hat back.

“What makes you think I wanna talk?” Aria replied evasively.

“Aria, Ah ain’t known ya very long, but ya don’t strike me as the type to enjoy work for the sake of work. Ya came here because ya wanted something, but ya threw yerself into work because ya didn’t wanna talk about it.”

“Maybe I just came to hit on Big Mac,” Aria retorted.

“Then why didn’t ya volunteer to help in the barn just now?” Applejack countered with a knowing smirk.

Aria glared. “Damnit, fine. Yeah, I kinda need advice, but I don’t really want to talk about it.”

“Well, Ah can’t help ya there.” The farmer said.

“I know,” Aria groaned.

Applejack chuckled and walked over toward a weathered picnic table, where they had left a large cooler of lemonade. She grabbed a pair of plastic cups and began filling them from the tap. “Have a seat, sugarcube, and tell me what’s the matter.”

Aria huffed, but took the drink. She drained half the glass before taking a seat by the farm girl. “I dunno, it’s just this weird thing with my sister.” She sighed. “She’s been all secretive lately, and I don’t know why. She’s putting in all these extra hours at work- more than normal.” She scoffed. “If I didn’t know better I’d say she’s fucking someone. But if that were the case she’d be coming home happier. Afterglow, walk of shame, all that, you know? Nah, I think she’s having trouble with her asshole boss.” She shuddered. Hopefully it was not some combination of the two. She shoved that thought out of her head. If Paper Cut were forcing her sister to do something like that, no one would ever identify the body.

“It sounds like ya need to tell her how ya feel,” Applejack said, pulling Aria out of her thoughts.

“Huh?” Aria asked, focusing back on the conversation.

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Ah said, Ah think ya need to be honest with her. Open up, ya know?”

Me?” Aria asked, incredulous. “I’m not the one keeping secrets!”

“Ah mean with yer feelings. Ya feel like she’s keeping secrets from ya, but ya haven’t told her that. She may not even know that she’s worrying ya.” Applejack sighed. “Ah know feelings can be hard, but family’s worth it, Aria. It takes work to keep it together.”

Aria groaned and flopped back onto the table.

Applejack chuckled, patting the siren’s leg. “Ah know, Ah know, being honest about yer feelings sucks. Heavens know Ah’ve had issues with it in the past. But Ah promise ya it’ll feel better.”

“Ugh,” Aria groaned again, “Fine, whatever, I’ll talk to her tonight or whatever, just stop with the sappy friendship lecture.”

Applejack just laughed. “Ain’t no escaping it now, sugarcube, yer part of the group. But Ah guess Ah can give ya a break for now, looks like Big Mac’s back with the next load.”

Aria groaned a third time.

==O==

“My, this is a lovely little place,” Rarity said, glancing around the little bistro from the same corner table from which Adagio had started her job hunt a little over a week ago. The place specialized in all things bagel, from plain buttered, to complicated sandwiches, to pizza melts and more. Rarity, being conscious of her host’s budget, had ordered a simple turkey and swiss with mayonnaise, while Adagio had opted for a breakfast bagel stacked with eggs and bacon. The way she was scarfing it down made Rarity worry that the woman had not been eating enough.

“Ah, so, how do you feel, darling?” The fashionista asked between dainty bites of her own sandwich.

Despite her apparent appetite, Adagio was not one to forget her manners. Swallowing her current mouthful, she dabbed her mouth with a napkin before answering. “I feel great, honestly. It may be a small win, all things considered, but it’s much better than nothing.”

“Yes, I wanted to ask about that,” Rarity said. “How did you manage to wander into Sugar Cube Corner of all places? I thought you were trying to avoid areas the girls and I frequent.”

“I was,” Adagio said with a sheepish expression. “I vaguely recall you girls mentioning it on occasion, but I’ve never been there and I did not actually know the location. I simply wasn’t paying enough attention when I chose a place to break for lunch, and Pinkie ambushed me while I was reading the classified ads. Of course, it was not a difficult leap from that to assuming I was looking for work, and she promptly arranged an interview between myself and Mrs. Cake.” She shrugged. “The rest is history, I suppose.”

Rarity smiled. “I know it’s not quite what you were hoping for, but it is something.” Her smile fell. “Still, I’m not sure I understand why you won’t tell your sisters what happened.”

“I’m protecting them,” Adagio said simply. “They don’t need to deal with this. We haven’t always lived an easy life, and I want them to be happy while they have the chance.” She sighed. “And… I might be a little afraid.”

Rarity blinked is shock. “Whatever for?” She asked.

“I… I don’t know where I stand with them anymore.” Adagio groaned. “I’ve made mistakes in the past, but I always knew where I stood. Our gems… connected us. I could feel when my sisters were nearby, how much magic they had, how they felt. We could always tell when one of us was distressed, or happy, or in pain. Now, it’s like I’ve lost one of my senses. I can’t feel them anymore.” Her face remained stoic and emotionless throughout, but at the end, a single tear trailed down her face. She sniffed, turning away. “A-anyway, I can’t assure them that everything will be alright, so I’d rather they not have to know anything is wrong at all, until I can fix it. They don’t need my burden.”

“Adagio, can I tell you a story?” Rarity asked.

The siren nodded, not looking up. “I guess,” She said weakly.

“Very well,” Rarity replied, clearing her throat. “You are, of course, aware that before you three arrived, Sunset Shimmer was considered somewhat of a villain at Canterlot High School?”

“Yes, exploiting that was one of our main strategies to drive you all apart,” Adagio said dismissively.

Rarity flinched at the memory. “Right… well you see, I believe it was largely our own fault that you were able to get away with that so easily. I’m afraid that, before your arrival, the five of us were giving her quite a rough time regarding her reformation. Years of fear, anger, and distrust don’t simply vanish overnight, and I am ashamed to admit that we all treated her rather poorly for some time, even before the Battle of the Bands.”

She sighed, staring down at her plate. “The worst incident happened right around Hearthswarming last year. Keep in mind this was several months after the Fall Formal incident, and she had already shown quite clearly that she was a different person. Despite this, we were still treating her more as a chore from Princess Twilight than as a friend. But we did feel bad for her, having to spend the holiday alone, with no friends or family to speak of. At Applejack’s suggestion, we went out of our way to invite her to a series of sleepovers and such at each of our homes.”

Adagio glanced at her. “Sounds… nice, I guess?”

“Well, yes, they turned out quite fun,” Rarity said. “We were all getting along quite well, and we opened up and began talking. And that is where things went wrong.” She bit her lip, looking back on the memory in shame. “Shortly after the first sleepover, someone began posting our closest secrets over social media, under the guise of Anon-a-miss. The only ones who could have known those secrets were our families, and our closest friends. All the signs very quickly pointed to Sunset as the obvious culprit.”

“I see,” Adagio said. “Ha, we should have tried that approach, instead of relying on magic alone. Sunset could have made an excellent siren…”

“I- I do believe you’re missing the point, darling,” Rarity said, interrupting Adagio’s scheming. “Sunset had nothing to do with it. We all turned on her so easily, treating her cruelly to the point of tears, only to later discover that the true culprits were none other than Sweetie and her friends.”

What?” Adagio asked, incredulously. “That little darling? No... but then…” She looked thoughtful. “Sunset did mention some sort of incident regarding the girls at one point.”

Rarity nodded. “Yes, I’m afraid that the three of them can get some pretty questionable ideas into their heads when they are all together. I can’t say I blame them for being angry, our class was not the only one to be terrorized by Sunset’s behavior, but what they did was inexcusable, and they got in a lot of trouble for it. But the damage was already done. Sunset’s reputation had once again been almost irreparably damaged, as had her trust in us as her friends. To this day I wonder how she ever forgave us so easily for turning on her like that.”

Adagio fell silent for several minutes. “Still,” She said eventually, “She did forgive you.”

“Yes, but that wasn’t really the point,” Rarity said. “Sure, we managed to patch things up somewhat, but the damage had been done. I believe that without your interference in the Battle of the Bands, Sunset would have forever remained a social pariah.”

“Glad to be of service,” Adagio said drily.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Oh come now, don’t be like that. But do you see the point of the narrative?”

Adagio thought back on the story, humming thoughtfully. “I suppose it means anyone can betray you, even family.”

“What? No!” Rarity said, aghast. “Honestly, darling?”

Adagio shrugged. “I’m new to all this, okay. My entire life has been based on driving people apart so I could consume their negative energy. I’m not used to being on the other side of things.”

“Okay, fair point,” Rarity conceded. She sighed. “My point is, trust takes far more to build than it does to destroy. And once broken, even if it’s repaired the marks will always be there.”

“I see…” Adagio said. “So, what you’re saying is, by keeping this a secret, I’m threatening my sisters’ trust in me.”

“Precisely,” Rarity nodded. “Not only that, but by keeping them in the dark, you are damaging your own trust in them. You have convinced yourself that you cannot rely on anyone but yourself, but that is clearly not the case. They’ve stayed with you this long, have they not?”

Adagio nodded begrudgingly. “Yes, I suppose they have. Even after losing their magic…”

Rarity smiled, reaching out to clasp the siren’s hand in her own. “Things may be difficult at first. There may be hard feelings. But I’m confident that you can get through this. It may be painful, but I believe it will be far worse if you let it lie.”

Adagio sighed. “I- I hate that you’re right. I’ve been stupid. I’ve still been treating them as minions, rather than family.” She scoffed. “Aria is the one that got me the other job in the first place. She probably could have solved my problem for me a week ago if I’d just asked.” She groaned, putting her head in her hands. “I’m the worst…”

“Come now, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Rarity said, giving the siren’s hand a comforting squeeze. “We all let our fears get the best of us, and we all make silly little mistakes from time to time. It’s a part of life, and of being a family.”

“Thank you, Rarity,” Adagio said, nodding solemnly. “I- I’ll try to take what you’ve said to heart.”

==O==

Sonata paced anxiously across the living room, nervously twisting her ponytail in her hands. Aria was sitting at the counter, fresh out of the shower with a bath robe and a towel around her head. The older siren said nothing, glaring into a warm bottle of hard cider. The two had barely spoken since Aria returned from Applejack’s, both too wrapped up in their own thoughts and anticipating Adagio’s arrival.

Finally, the front door swung open, and in stepped Adagio. “Hello girls,” She said, sounding tired.

“H-hi Dagi.”

“Hey.”

The eldest siren nodded, acknowledging their less-than-enthusiastic greetings. Stepping up to the kitchen counter, she grabbed a bottle or red wine and poured it into a glass. Taking a long draught, she topped herself off before taking a seat next to Aria. Sonata soon joined them, taking the last stool next to Adagio.

“So…” Sonata said, “Where did you two go today?”

“Work,” Adagio answered dully.

“AJ’s,” Aria said, just as blank.

“Okay…” The youngest said, still trying to pry some sort of dialogue from her older siblings. “Did you do anything interesting?”

Adagio’s breath hitched, and she looked like she was about to answer, but she shook her head. Aria watched the display, a sharp frown on her face, before looking away. “No,” They both answered.

“Oh,” Sonata said simply.

The three continued to sit in silence, each unsure of what to say to the others. Eventually, both Adagio’s and Aria’s drinks were emptied.

“I think I’m going to bed,” Adagio said, pushing her glass away. She stood up and made to leave.

“Yeah, same,” Aria agreed, following Adagio’s motions but tossing her bottle in the trash.

“W-wait!” Sonata protested, standing as well. Her sisters halted, both turning to look at her.

“Yeah?”

“What do you need, Sonata?”

Sonata bit her lip, glancing between them nervously. “Um, g-good night,” She said. “I love you…”

Adagio smiled. “Love you too, Nata,” She said, before going to her room.

Aria rolled her eyes. “Sap,” She said, turning away. But before she disappeared into her room, she turned back, a blush heavy on her face. “L-love you too, sis.” Then she too was gone.

Dejectedly, Sonata slumped her shoulders, staring after her sisters longingly. Feeling defeated, she hit the light switch before climbing up to her loft and tossing herself onto her bed, reaching up to grab the first stuffed animal she could get her fingers on.

In her own room, Aria swung listlessly from her hammock, lost in thought as the night noises of the city filtered in through her partially opened window. Her foot hung off the edge, the tips of her bare toes brushing against the carpet with every motion.

Across the hall, Adagio laid motionlessly on her bed, as still as death, staring into the pitch black of her room. She had had every opportunity just then to tell the truth, and had let it slip through her fingers. She just could not bring herself to do it. Closing her eyes, she summarized that they were all thinking in a single thought.

“I just couldn’t do it.”