• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 6,110 Views, 652 Comments

Neighbors - Tethered-Angel



A familiar face moves into the sirens' apartment building.

  • ...
9
 652
 6,110

Chapter 10- Bad Day

Adagio Dazzle was not having a good day. The hot water being out had meant a cold shower first thing in the morning, and dealing with that had nearly made her miss the bus downtown. In her rush she had forgotten her coat, and even though it was mid-Autumn and the temperatures more than called for it the stubborn bus driver still refused to turn on the heat. The office was little better, the higher-ups always keeping the air conditioning a few degrees below comfortable just to save a buck.

Sneaking into the ladies’ room, she looked herself over in the mirror. She had had little time for personal grooming, and it showed. Her hair was frizzy and disarrayed, and her clothes were clearly wrinkled in places. Sighing, she splashed water over her hands, running her fingers through her thick locks in an attempt to get her hair looking something like presentable.

There was little she could do about her clothes. She tried to dress professionally for work, if a bit on the sexy side. Sure, all of her customer interactions were over the phone, but it was amazing how much easier things could be if she just showed a little skin around the office. Usually. Her supervisor, Paper Cut, seemed to be immune to her charms. Too busy pushing around his secretary to notice when he was in the presence of a real woman. The prick.

Not that she was exactly on top of her game today. Today, her thin white blouse was rumpled and messy, and her skirt had a noticeable crease in the front. Her white tights were the only part of her outfit that did not look wrinkled, and that was only because of how well they hugged her legs.

Groaning, she shook her head. How to salvage her appearance? Maybe she could pull off the messy look today. Loose ponytail, shirt open a little at the top… a sexy, just-rolled-out-of-bed look. Not exactly classy, but it would do. Fortunately, she did not need any makeup to pull off the look, not that she normally used any. Making the required adjustments, she gave her reflection another critical look. Frowning thoughtfully, she pulled a thin pair of reading glasses out of her purse and slipped them on, completing the look. Finally satisfied, she nodded before stepping out into the office.

She had to stop short as someone pushed past her and rushed into the bathroom. Short, with longish pink hair. Wracking her brain, Adagio realized she could not recall the woman’s name. One of the newer interns, then. Something struck her about the woman’s face though- she had been crying. It looked like the big boss man was at it again. Typical middle manager, he had no real talent or power worth speaking of, so he made it his business to make his underlings’ lives miserable. It would have been prime feeding, if she still had her magic.

Grumbling to herself, she returned to her desk, entertaining herself thinking of the horrible things she would do to that man if she still had her powers. But it was not to be. She needed her job, even if it meant playing the innocent little office girl. She was a master manipulator, and had been dealing with Cut’s pathetic mind games for months. Sighing, she began to dial the next number on her list.

The call went about as smoothly as one could ever expect for the collection department. “Hello, this is Angel with Canterlot Communications. I’m just calling to remind you that your cable bill is three weeks overdue. If this is not resolved by the end of the month, the company is going to have to cut your service.” Adagio flinched back at the stream of expletives that followed her spiel, before hanging up and checking the “unpaid” box next to the number. Groaning in exasperation, she looked at her call list. They had raised the quota again. That was the third time that month.

Adagio hated her job. It was more than dealing with a shitty boss and going by a fake name. She could deal with Paper Cut and had gone by many names over the centuries (Although Adagio was her real one, as far as she knew). The problem was the customers. Adagio liked to think she was good with people. She had had princes and paupers alike eating out of her hand in the past, on no more than her own natural talent and beauty. She had thought that would serve her well in a job like this, but it was not meant to be. Talking through the phone severely limited her ability to communicate, and she was robbed of all the nonverbal tricks and cues she had spent decades mastering. On the phone, she was just another anonymous voice. Being constantly yelled at from the other end of the line did little to improve her mood. Growling, she began to enter the next number.

“Angel! Get in here!”

Adagio flinched as Paper Cut’s shrill voice burst through her headset. Growling, she ground her teeth in frustration before clicking the return button and saying, in her sweetest voice, “I’ll be right there, sir.” Pushing herself away, she tossed her headset carelessly onto her desk and took a moment to adjust her top and skirt in her monitor’s reflection before heading to her boss’s office.

“You called me, sir?” Adagio asked as she stepped into Cut’s office, a saccharine tone to her voice. The man sat at an imposing looking desk, which Adagio strongly suspected was not real oak. His skin was the exact color of office post-it notes, and his greasy, unkempt hair was a forgettable shade of brown, like spilled coffee. Beady black eyes glared back at her.

“About time!” He snapped, folding his hands on the desk in front of him. “What took you so long?”

“I came as soon as I could,” Adagio said sweetly. “I only took a moment to make myself presentable.”

“Bah!” He huffed, “Who cares what you look like? You’re here to work, not look pretty. Not like the customers care what you look like over the phone.”

Ah, that old song and dance. Adagio smirked internally. While he was never direct enough in his insults to risk a harassment complaint, he always seemed to have a way of making it come across anyway. Perhaps it was some sort of envy, as his own weasel-like face likely did him few favors with the fairer sex. Of course, his frustrations could just as easily be attributed to his personality.

“What did you need, sir?” Adagio asked, continuing her submissive façade. What she would do to smack the lousy bastard into a wall…

Smirking, he retrieved a thick manila folder and dropped it on the desk. “Have a seat. This may take a while.”

Adagio did as instructed, wincing as the too small plastic chair squeaked under her weight. Her eyes flicked to the folder. That was… new. Normally his games were little more than a shakeup, in lieu of having any real reason he would often call someone into his office just to prod them and see what they revealed. He never had anything as concrete as a file. Adagio bit her lip, realizing that something was wrong. Her already frayed nerves began to jump into overtime, but she was not sure why.

“What is this?” She asked, a slight edge rising beneath her sugary tone.

“Data,” Cut said flippantly. “Statistics. Charts. Performance reviews. Customer surveys.” He clicked his tongue. “Altogether it paints a rather unfortunate picture.”

Adagio felt a cold spike of anxiety. Swallowing thickly, she managed to keep an even voice as she asked, “What exactly does that mean, sir?”

He smirked at her, flipping the folder open and spinning it towards her. The top page was loaded with a series of charts and notes, a disturbing amount of red smattered across the page. “You haven’t been meeting your quotas lately,” Paper Cut said, his voice condescending. “That’s… problematic.”

“Sir, with all due respect,” Adagio said, barely managing not to grind her teeth at the accusation, “The quotas have nearly doubled over the last month. There’s no way to make that many calls during one shift. I have had to stay on for extra shifts several times just to get through my-”

“Yes, abuse of company overtime,” Her boss said, cutting her off as he turned to another page. “That’s another strike against you.” He let out a deep breath, whistling through his nose as he fixed Adagio with a smug look. “Let’s talk about your customers, shall we? I’m sure you can appreciate just how important customer satisfaction is at a company like CanCom.”

Adagio seethed silently, but bit her tongue as he continued, flipping to yet another page of the thick file. “Your customer surveys continue to turn up poor. Why is that? I honestly cannot understand how you could justify such a performance.”

“Sir,” Adagio growled, struggling not to lash out. It had already been a long and trying day, and her patience was wearing thin at her supervisor’s mind games. “I work in collections. Of course people aren’t happy with me, that’s part of my job. I don’t know why the survey is even offered after those kinds of call-”

“The automated system-”

“And another thing!” Adagio cut in, sick and tired of being interrupted. “It is not my fault customers are unhappy. I’m just the messenger. It’s the company that keeps raising prices, of course people are upset. And I have to deal with it!” She ranted, her voice continuing to pick up in volume.

“Angel, honey, be quiet. It’s not appropriate for a pretty little thing like yourself to address your superiors like that.” Paper Cut’s tone was insufferable as he leered at her condescendingly. “You need to learn your proper pl-”

“You listen here, you pathetic excuse for a man!” Adagio exploded, slamming her fist onto the desk with a sharp crack! Cut jerked back, falling into his chair at the unexpected show of force, but the smug grin never left his face. “You have no idea who I am or what I could do. I am your better in every sense of the word! I have put up with your horse shit and your mind games for long enough, but this ends here!” She huffed, a loose curl of hair escaping the tie and falling in front of her eye.

Paper cut crossed his arms, a triumphant look on his face. “Tsk, so the pretty little intern finally shows her true colors. I knew you were more than just some office slut.” He chuckled, leaning forward to fold his hands over his desk. “Oh, you thought you could hide it, but I’m too smart for you. I saw right through your little act. You’re just as angry and emotional as any woman. But it’s over now.”

Adagio stepped away from the desk, eyes wide in the realization that she had just made a terrible mistake. “An arrogant girl like you has no place at a respectable company like CanCom,” Cut continued. “You can’t just expect to get by on your emotions and good looks. We aren’t a company that promotes based on how good you are on your knees.”

Adagio was too much in shock to react to the insult. Her heart was thudding in her chest as the adrenaline drained out of her. What had she done? He could not mean… She had not been trying to…

“Angel, you’re fired,” Paper Cut said, a victorious look on his face. “Get out of my office before I call security.” He watched as she stumbled out, shell-shocked by the sudden turn of events. He chuckled quietly, glad to finally be rid of the superior little bitch. It was just one more thing he loved about his job. He moved to sweep up the file and put it away, only for his sleeve to catch on the desk. Scowling, he glared down at the offending furniture, only to find a long crack running the width of the faux-oak surface. How long had that been there?

==O==

Adagio stared blindly out at the passing landscape, slouched numbly against the uncomfortable bus seat. It had taken all her willpower not to cause a scene when she left. She could not afford the attention, especially if security got involved. She had left with nothing, not even bothering to return to her desk. Her workstation had nothing personal or valuable in it.

Her self-discipline had lasted until she left the building and reached the bus stop, collapsing onto the dingy green bench in exhaustion as the last of the adrenaline fled her body. What had she done? She had cost them everything, because of her pride. Again.

Without her job, they could never afford to keep their apartment. They would wind up on the streets, like always. Only this time, they would have no magic, no hope of making it out.

What could she do? Returning to the apartment was too much. She could never keep the truth hidden from her sisters, not when she was herself in a state of shock. But admitting that she had failed them again was unbearable. She had to find somewhere else to go.

Sunset’s apartment? The girl would be at school, but she would not mind letting Adagio hide out while she collected her thoughts…. But no, it was too risky. Sunset’s place was right across the hall from her own, the risk of being spotted by either Aria or Sonata was just too high.

Then where? She could not just ride the bus all day, staring off into space. Who knew where she might end up in her state of mind? Besides, while her pass might have been limitless, the driver’s patience was not.

A glimmer of hope sparked in her chest as she passed a familiar landmark. Her eyes focused on a street sign and she realized that she recognized the place. As the bus rolled to a squealing stop, she stood on shaky legs and made her way forward. Maybe she had another option after all.

==O==

Rarity was having a good day. She had gotten a respectable B+ on her Biology exam, the lunch room had had fresh strawberries, and she had gotten to listen to Fluttershy gush about how much she was enjoying being a part of the Pony Tones for much of the bus ride home.

The school bus made its stop at her street and she stepped out, her sister just behind. “How was school today?” She asked, as Sweetie had spent most of the ride talking to her own classmates.

“It was fine,” The younger girl answered as Rarity retrieved her house key and inserted it into the lock. “Music class is going pretty good, but they gave Diamond Tiara the lead in the play,” Sweetie griped. Neither she nor her sister noticed that, although the key had turned, they had not heard the distinctive click of the deadbolt disengaging. The front door opened easily, admitting them inside.

“I thought you were getting along with her?” Rarity questioned, sliding off her boots and hanging her coat in the closet. Sweetie just shrugged, kicking off her tennis shoes and leaving them in the middle of the floor. Rarity rolled her eyes. “Sweetie,” She said, heading for the living room, “What have I told you about- GAAH!” She let out a startled cry as she realized they were not alone in the house.

“H-hi,” Adagio said, waving sheepishly from where she was curled up on the living room couch. “I didn’t mean to startle you…”

“A-Adagio,” Rarity said, placing a hand on her chest and taking several quick breaths. Her heart was beating extremely fast.

Sweetie poked her head around the corner, an umbrella from the stand clutched defensively in her hand, though she relaxed her grip on recognizing the visitor. “Adagio?”

“The same,” The siren said, smiling wryly. She was curled up on the seat, hugging her knees to her chest. Rarity bit back an instinctive comment about shoes on the furniture, realizing that the woman was displaying none of her typical energy or confidence.

“Sweetie dear, why don’t you go get started on your homework,” Rarity said, motioning with her head toward the stairs. Sweetie took the hint, looking back hesitantly before heading up to her bedroom. With their privacy assured for the moment, Rarity took a seat facing Adagio. She sat straight, crossing her legs out of habit. “So…” She began.

“I uh, I found the key under your doormat,” Adagio said by way of explanation. Her voice was different from usual. Not quite apologetic. Perhaps worried? Concerned? “You shouldn’t leave it there,” The siren continued, “It’s not really safe.”

Rarity smiled a little. “I’d gladly make that mistake, if it means my friend’s comfort,” She said warmly. Her eyes flicked over the woman’s disheveled clothing, a slight blush coloring her cheeks when she noticed how far her blouse was undone. She quickly averted her eyes.

“I’d be more comfortable if you didn’t practically leave your house unlocked,” Adagio chided, Rarity’s indiscretion going unnoticed or ignored. She sounded concerned, like an older sister lecturing a sibling, something Rarity had found herself doing from time to time. For some reason, the thought made her blush deepen.

Rarity cleared her throat, breaking the brief silence. “So, is everything alright? If you don’t mind my saying so you look like you’ve had a rough day.”

Adagio nodded, numbly. “Hot water went out. Rough day at work. Forgot my jacket.” Her voice droned dully as she vaguely listed off the day’s misfortunes.

Rarity frowned sympathetically. “You poor thing,” She said. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Adagio shook her head.

Rarity hesitated a moment, unsure of what to say. “Well, I for one always feel much better after a hot shower. You’re welcome to use ours.”

Adagio blinked, then nodded dully. “I think I’d like that.

==O==

The warm water calmed Adagio’s mind. She shivered as the hot steam chased away the chills and settled her nerves. Propping herself on her forearm, she leaned her head against the wet tile of the shower wall, her soaked hair laying heavily against her back as the water pounded her skin.

Another shudder shook her body, and she barely suppressed a whimper. She felt so, so tired. All she wanted was to stay there forever, melting away to nothing. Biting her lip, she groaned miserably as the water finally began to run cold.

Shutting off the flow, she stepped out onto the plush shower mat and grabbed the luxuriously sized bath towel off the hook. Once her body was reasonably dry, she wrung out her hair a best as she could and wrapped it tightly in the plush linen, piling it on top of her head before grabbing the equally luxurious bathrobe Rarity had left her. She shivered in delight as she wrapped herself in the robe’s warm embrace. Rarity had been right, she felt much better after a good soak. Physically at least. Even so, she was somewhat glad to see the mirror fogged up from the steam.

With the sash tied securely around her hips, she stepped off the mat, only to shiver and immediately retreat as her bare foot touched the tile. Her clothes, where were her clothes? Belatedly, she remembered Rarity offering to wash them, herself agreeing numbly in her fugue state. Surely she could not have been so tired as to…

“Rarity?” She called, poking her head out from the bathroom door, keeping her body hidden despite the bathrobe. She looked down the hall toward Rarity’s room. “Rarity?”

“Coming, darling!” The fashionista chirped in response. A moment later she stepped into the hall, still wearing her clothes from school. “Yes? What did you need?”

“You didn’t happen to put my tights in the wash, did you?” Adagio asked anxiously.

Rarity blinked. “But of course, I said I would. Oh my! They weren’t hand wash only, were they!? I did check the tag, but sometimes the recommended washing instructions aren’t up to par. I’ll go get them for you right away!”

“No, wait! It’s fine!” Adagio called, stopping the girl before she could leave, “It’s not that, the machine is fine.” She hesitated, looking at the floor. “Um, do you have something I could borrow then? My, uh… I get cold,” She said lamely.

Rarity gave her a bemused expression, but quickly replaced it with a gentle smile. “Of course, darling, I’m sure I can find something.” She quickly ducked back into her room, and her voice drifted out mixed with the sound of drawers slamming open and shut. “No. No. Ugh, definitely not. Eew, how gauche! Who do I still have those? Oh, these maybe? Aha! Perfect!” She ran back into the hall, triumphantly brandishing a thick bundle of white cotton.

Adagio raised an eyebrow at the girl’s behavior. What had gotten her so excited? Adagio could appreciate nice clothes as much as anyone, but she would hardly be going anywhere wearing a bathrobe. She smirked a little bit as she finally recognized the stockings for what they were. My my, the pretty one had some surprises, perhaps.

In the privacy of the bathroom she rolled them up her legs. They were not especially racy, despite her initial opinion. Thick and warm, they were actually quite comfortable. The clean white material matched her robe perfectly and reached halfway up her thighs. Yes, they would do. Carefully avoiding any puddles, Adagio left the bathroom.

Rarity was waiting for her in her room, lounging on a Prench style fainting couch. Her face brightened when she saw Adagio, looking considerably better. She motioned her to come and sit, scooting to the side to make room for the older woman. “Come, darling! Sit, sit!”

Adagio did so, almost collapsing onto the soft cushion. She hummed comfortably as she leaned into the back rest, paying no attention to the way her robe slid open a bit at the front, or how Rarity suddenly diverted her attention to the minifridge nearby. “Here we are,” She said, fetching two pint-size cartons of ice cream and a pair of spoons. She handed one each to Adagio, who wasted no time popping off the lid and taking a big spoonful. Rarity followed her example and they let out matching moans of satisfaction as the combination of chocolate, almond, and caramel melted on their tongues. Rarity had had Sweetie retrieve the ice cream from their emergency stash, reserved for really bad days. The way Adagio had looked when Rarity came home, today definitely counted.

They ate in silence for several minutes, just basking in the taste of the ice cream. All too soon, though, their spoons were scraping the bottoms of the cartons. Sighing, Rarity took both cartons and set them aside. Next to her, Adagio had closed her eyes, seeming to deflate against the back of the lounger.

Rarity shifted. “Adagio,” She said, “I understand if you’d rather not, but if you want to talk about what happened, I am here to listen.”

Adagio did not answer at first. Her eyes opened, but she did not look at Rarity. Instead, she just stared listlessly as the ceiling fan spun ‘round and ‘round. Finally, she let out a shaky breath. “It’s… difficult sometimes, opening up to people,” She said slowly, afraid that once she started speaking, she would never stop. “My sisters always needed me to be strong. Need me to be strong. Of course, I could hardly open up to anyone else. It was always too dangerous to let anyone know our secret.” She paused, swallowing thickly. “Now, I have something, a secret I can’t even tell them about, not yet.” She turned, meeting Rarity’s gaze. To the girl’s surprise, the siren had tears in her eyes.

“Rarity… I lost my job today.”

Rarity gasped, her heart going out to her friend. Without thinking, she leaned in, pulling Adagio into a tight embrace. “Darling, that- that’s awful,” She said, stroking the siren’s back through the robe. “You must have felt sick.”

Adagio nodded, her chin rubbing against the girl’s shoulder. “I didn’t know what to do, where to go. I can’t go home, it’s too early, they’d know something’s up. Aria’s too smart not to figure it out, and I’ve never been good at hiding things from Sonata. I just, I can’t tell them I failed again!” Her voice broke with heaving sobs as the stress of the day slammed into her like a train. Rarity began to rock beneath her, still stroking her back.

“Shh, shh, it’s alright,” The fashionista said comfortingly. “You’re welcome here, you’re always welcome here.” Adagio sniffled, but the tears would not let up. Shuddering, she grasped back desperately. One arm continued to caress her, the other reaching up to unwrap her towel and toss it aside. Adagio sagged as her damp hair fell down around her, spilling all over her back and Rarity’s lap. Somehow, the girl did not seem to mind. She just continued to comfort the siren, gently guiding her downward until she lay on the couch, her head in the pale girl’s lap.

A soft melody reached Adagio’s ears, one that was unfamiliar to her, but comforting all the same. It was a lullaby; one Rarity often sang to her sister when she was younger. As she continued to hold the weeping siren, her free hand stretched toward her desk until she could snatch a sturdy purple hairbrush from the top. Still humming that soothing melody, she began working the brush through the thick mess of curls piled on her lap.

Eventually Adagio’s sobs began to peter out, and her heaving breaths became calm and even. She seemed to melt into Rarity’s lap as she let herself relax, her eyes fluttering closed. Rarity continued brushing for a long time, until she worked out every knot and tangle she could find. By then Adagio had long left the waking world. She lay calmly, occasionally twitching in her sleep. Sliding the comb back onto her desk, Rarity leaned forward. Pushing aside a lock of orange hair, she planted a gentle kiss on the siren’s temple. Then, carefully, she slid out from under her. Quickly fetching a light blanket, she carefully spread it out over the sleeping woman. Tiptoeing quietly so as not to wake her, she slipped out the door. Before she shut it, she peeked back one last time. She opened her mouth to say something, then shut it, blushing. Swallowing the words that were just on the tip of her tongue, she closed the door behind her.