• ...
 2
 703

Chapter 2

A/N: So second chapters here. So I thought I would try and move the story along since I know if I didn't, it would be quite slow and dull. But anyway, I hope you enjoy it :)

The next morning the moon slowly dipped over the horizon and the bright rays of the sun climbed over the opposite side. Luna watched the sun rise after breakfast, knowing her sister was well on her way to Manehatten. She thought it nice to have the throne room to herself for a change but nevertheless. She felt the anxiety of watching over Canterlot and Equestria during the day. For you see Luna has only ever taken the burden of both the night and the day twice before. And they were at least half a millennium’s year ago. Society will have changed since that. Luna did keep up and maintain a relative knowledge of the present tense affiliations with all her subjects. But she never paid extra attention to it like her sister did. For she didn't need to. Nopony ever asked her help during her night. Nor did she have any visitors. The only time she saw and spoke to any other pony out with her royal night guard was during her sisters day. And even then she was not the centre of attention and communicated accordingly. Luna was in the same position on the throne as the sun climbed up as she was when the moon was at its peak the night before. The princess of the night held a soft smile on her face and was calm and collected in the peaceful silence. That is until General Rigel walked through the throne room doors. The unicorn marched down to the threshold of her throne and bowed, as anypony would if faced with herself or Celestia.

“ Princess Luna. I hope your night treated you well.” Said Rigel, keeping his low bow.

“ But of coarse. It is my night after all is it not.” Replied Luna with a small tendril of amusement. “ Now what brings you here Rigel?”

“ My means were to make you aware that the daylight guard are in place and your night guard have successfully handed over their duties to us. That and General Soazin asked me to relay to you that there will be some issues to sort out with him once the next night is upon us.” Said Rigel calmly. Luna thought for a moment at what possibly could have produced such an action from Soazin so as to ask Rigel to tell her. She batted the thought out of her mind almost as soon as it entered.

“ Thank you Rigel. I trust you slept well last night and are fully prepared for your day at my side in today's diplomatic resolutions?”

“ Indeed I did your highness,” Said Rigel. “ I must say I am fully refreshed after last nights rest. I trust you are as well-”
“ Oh I didn't sleep last night. I had no need to after all.”

“ You didn't sleep your highness?” Said Rigel and from the tone of his voice, Luna could make out surprise, curiosity and doubt.

“ Yes. Has my sister not mentioned that we both need not sleep often. If I am perfect, one night every week sustains us admirably. So for your sentence which was obviously more of a question. No I did not sleep during the night past and-” Luna stopped herself upon realising she was on the verge of wandering into lecture territory and chuckled.

“ Your highness?” Rigel asked.

“ Oh nothing of importance. Now! As I was saying, the diplomats from each village and city will be here within the morning. I dare say we should make a move towards the halls of Equestria and keep my sisters uniform attendance rate untarnished.”
“ Yes princess.”

“ Oh and during one of our brakes, I will need you to fetch me captain Sirius. I have an assignment for him.”

“ Of coarse your highness.” Said Rigel. Luna shook her head. “ Always the formal one that stallion.” She thought as she and said pony headed for the halls. The halls. If there was one place Luna hated more than sitting in the castle writing her mandatory diary, It was the halls. Ironically, it was the only place were some of the ponies from around Equestria could speak out of term against or interrupt either of the princess'. Of coarse nopony dared to do so for the disrespect it would earn them would be great. Luna held her head high as the doors in front of her lit up in her blue aura of magic and opened to show them the halls. The last time Luna was here was a little over a year ago and yet it had changed so much. There were wooden chairs lining each wall and they sank down into the room. Luna found herself standing on the highest set of wooden chairs and looking down at a large table where she would have to sit and look up at all these chairs filled with ponies. Even though the difference in height wasn't much more than a set of two flights consisting of five steps, Luna still felt like she was descending into a meaningless pit of worthlessness.

Before long, diplomats from all corners of Equestria filed into the vast room and took their respective seats. Luna sat quietly and waited. After waiting and watching every pony settle into their seats, Luna rose and absolute silence ensued.

“ Good morning. As of now Princess Celestia is resolving some issues in Manehatten so I will take her place. These proceedings are to be opened at this time. A brake will occur at mid day during which I will be absent and we will return shortly after and finish at dusk. You may begin.” Said Luna in a voice that betrayed boredom.

“ Your highness,” Started a pegasus from Cloudsdale as she stood. “ The weather needs to be maintained by using the water that falls into lochs and small lakes. We have an increasing number of pegasi stating that and I quote ' the water is just not there. Or if it is then there isn't enough of it to make the clouds for Equestria.' This has come to the mayors attention and therefore I have the burden of asking you to resolve this issue. I point the hoof at either the unicorns or earth ponies for the mishap but I could be wrong-”

“ I say! I'm sure I speak for unicorns and earth ponies alike when I say that we have been having our aloud volume of water each day and there is no possible way that we have been overusing it. Your accusations simply do not stand.” Said a unicorn from the other side of the room standing up. A few murmurs of agreement echoed through the room. Luna held her tongue and watched the two ponies argue.

“ If that is the case then please elaborate as to why the water is disappearing?”

“ I say it might be the griffon’s.” Another voice echoed from the chairs opposite Luna. “ They naturally have a tendency to dislike ponies and if there are any species other than ponies to be taken into consideration. It is the griffon's.”

“ That's illogical.” Started Luna raising her voice to be heard. Her voice was instantly the only voice to be heard. “ Both myself and my sister were in the company of the griffon king and queen not three weeks ago. Our relations with the griffon's are only becoming more solidified into a neutral agreement to not attack one another as the years carry on. The griffon's are out of this debate.”

“ Then I ask you princess. What can be causing this if it is not the griffon's. Please mend our curiosity.” Said the same unicorn who objected to the pegasus. Luna smiled a little.

“ I am not sure as of yet and still need to listen more before I give my say but I can assure you that it is not the earth ponies doing, neither is it the pegasi.” The moon princess stated firmly. After that, bickering and small conflicts within each village were brought up. Luna would occasionally give her views and silence any who were being rude but most of all. Luna was fighting within herself to stay focused at the task. Even if she was a princess, she was not immune to the effects of boredom. And sitting in the centre of what was really just a large debating room really took its toll on her.

“ And that's why we need conformation. Princess?” Said a pony.

“ I beg your pardon.” Said Luna stirring from her little daydream.

“ Your thoughts on Starswirl the Bearded? How are we to achieve any new ways of defence of offence with him gone?”

“ I assure you,” Said Luna in a firm but gentle voice. “ Me and my sister will find another way. As of now one of us will take the up the mantel for discovering new spells. But we must not forget what Starswirl has already accomplished. We will be perfectly safe until-” Luna stopped and gave a sidewards glance to one of the rooms large, from ceiling to floor windows and looked at the sun's high in the sky position. Luna smiled gratefully. “ Until further notice . Now I believe it is about time for our little break. I remind you, I will be absent until we resume.” After she finished, the ponies all stood and waited for her to leave. “ Well they do have respect I'll give them that much.”Thought the princess as she left. Further down the hallway and on one of the balcony's, Luna stopped and rounded on Rigel. Said pony bowing and smiling.

“ Now my task for you is to order Sirius to oversee today's events in laying the foundations for Ponyvile. I want that village to be built as smoothly as possible.”

“ Yes princess. Anything else?”

“ That would be all.” Chuckled Luna as Rigel nodded and left for Sirius. Luna waited until Rigel was out of sight before leaping off the balcony and heading back to her castle where her book was. She rolled her eyes as she glided down to its entrance. “ Let's get this over with.” Luna mumbled as she brought up her royal 'diary' inside the building.

“ Today is the first day of my looking after Canterlot role. My sister saw it fit to oversee proceedings personally in Manehatten. I wasn't amused when I first found out but as of now, I am perfectly fine. Today I am acting on my sisters behalf in the diplomatic Equestrian halls. I wish she was here to do it because if I am to be truthful, it is dire. It is shockingly boring and all the ponies seam to think they are higher than everyone else. I find it amusing to say the least. But as a princess I must do it. In other parts of today I have ordered one of the royal captains to oversee the building of Ponyvile, a small new village no more than a days travel from here. I personally want the village to stay just that. A village and nothing more. I find myself laughing again. The irony. My sister is heading to Manehatten to stop that villages mayor from doing what I just said. Trying to keep a village … well a village. I dare say that is all that's worth taking about at present. I'll finish here for today.”

Another bright flash appeared and the book was gone. Luna turned and made haste in heading back to Canterlot to finish the proceedings.

“ You want me to go where?” Asked Sirius standing in front of Rigel. He had not been there for long but just long enough for Rigel to tell him of the news.

“ It is not I who is asking you. It is princess Luna.”

“ Oh right. Well did the princess give any incline as to when I should leave-”

“ Now would be an appropriate time.” Said Rigel as he picked up a quill with his magic and started scribbling down notes. Sirius thought it the General's signature action now with him doing it so often.

“ Well I should be leaving then Rigel. Until I return.”

“ Likewise.”

Sirius suddenly had a pang of humour enter his head and grinned. “ and do have the tea ready for my return. I dare say I'll be rather cold and parched when I get back.” This actually broke through Rigel's demeanour and he echoed a laugh.

“ Get going you.” Said Rigel with a friendly smile. Sirius gave one nod before turning and leaving. In truth he was glad to be getting out of the royal guards housing and on a task. He would much rather be doing that than sitting around waiting for something exciting. Or something of importance for that matter. Sirius out the guards building and down the streets of Canterlot until finally coming to the gates.

“ Captain.” Came the mono tone from both guards standing post at the gates.

“ As you were.” Replied Sirius casually before breaking into a fast gallop. Stirring up dirt and dust as he went. For a unicorn, you would think he could pass for an earth pony with the speed and stamina Sirius had. Before long he found himself in the great forest of Everfree. The one place Sirius felt at ease but at the same time the most aware. For he could be attacked at any moment after being mistaken as dinner by anything in the forest and Sirius most definitely did not want that. He kept his pace as he whipped past trees and broken branches. Leaves were still stuck hard on their branches but that did not stop a few from blowing into him as he ran deeper into the forest.



Not long after, and a particularly hard transportation spell, thanks to unicorn magic. Sirius approached the threshold to the newly named land of Ponyvile. He could already smell the fresh flowers in the air and could see the dazzling views. Sirius slowed to a trot as he came within speaking range of one building pony. He cleared his throat and spoke clearly.

“ Thunder. A pleasure as always.”

The dull green pegasus in question snapped up and rounded on Sirius putting on a grin. “ Well if it isn't the captain of the royal guard. What brings you here?” He spoke in a rough but friendly enough voice.

“ Just overseeing how the building work is going. Helping out here and there if need be. Just lending a hoof in other words.”

“ Understandable but we have everything on time here. Care for a quick tour?”

“ Sure. Its not like I have anything else to do is it.” Said Sirius with a chuckle. Thunder laughed as well and lead the way. Sirius found himself looking at large square holes where wooden beams were being placed into. Some had already even begun to take form as the wooden beams outlined the forms of buildings.

“ This here is the corner leading onto main street. Could be a cake store or something. And this here is where a few homes will go... Oh and can you look down there.” Said Thunder while pointing a hoof down a small dirt trail into the hills just beyond. Sirius looked and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

“ Yes what about it?”

“ Well I've been told that those hills there have soil fertile enough for a plantation.”

Sirius couldn't help but frown. “ A plantation for what? Crops of some sort?” Thunder stopped and looked over to the hills.

“ Apple trees would fit best. But that is not the only tree you need to worry about if you are here to help. That tree,” he pointed to a gargantuan tree situated at the end of what Sirius made out to be the foundations of a street. “ Will be the library. Innovative building work has aloud us to actually carve the library into the tree as a pose to ripping the tree itself out.”

Sirius walked towards the tree and sure enough. The trunk was unusually thick and had a large base. Large enough to fit a library in. He narrowed his eyes trying to picture the tree with windows and lights coming out of it but to no avail.

“ and you say nothing is out of the ordinary. At all?” Sirius asked again.

“ Well no. Nothing effecting us as of now. But we will need water soon to help with the buildings but that's where a problem will arise.”

“ How. What's wrong.”

“ Well the water … Well the water isn't water anymore. Its changed into something else. Nopony has been brave enough to test it but we have many a things going through are heads as to what it could be.”

“ Show me.” Exclaimed Sirius. “ Finally something worth seeing.” He thought as he was lead to a stream that was to run through the village. Sirius saw that where the water should have been, was a large stream of a light brown liquid. Almost as flowing as water would be. Sirius instantly had questions but saw it fit to narrow it down to a few main ones. “ So you say you haven't tested it. And you don't know what it is?”

“ Yes. We also haven't had the time as you know. We are pressed for time as it is.”

“ Well lets change that.” Said Sirius using his magic to bring some of the liquid out. He twisted and turned it and eventually flattened it out to become as thin as a coin and took out any impurities inside. “ I can't seam to determine what it is. Its not harmful if that's what you are worried about. Nor is is good.”

“ Can you tell me if I can use it. I'll need water for the houses-”

“ Wait.” Said Sirius in a small amount of shock. He refocused on a smaller peace of the liquid and took it from what he had before. This left him with a small sphere of liquid that could fit into a ponies hoof. “ Lets try this.” Sirius said.

“ No don't” Thunder shrieked but it was too late. Sirius drank that liquid and immediately afterwards his face changed from curiosity and hesitation to that of shock and confusion.

“ Chocolaty. It tastes chocolaty.

“ Chocolaty. What does that mean.” Snapped Thunder angrily after what Sirius did.

“ I mean it isn't water like you said. Its chocolate milk.” The captain said. In all his years of work Sirius had never came across something as peculiar as this. Which made him all the more excited and willing to take the matter further.

“ Thunder do you know where this river births?”

“ That would be just after Fillydelphia. Why-”

“ That's all I wanted to know. I'll be back within the next couple of days Thunder with water for your buildings but for now I bid you a farewell. This is something I need to speak to the princess with.”

“ Well thank you for that kind offer and I will hold you to that.” Replied Thunder as Sirius left. He charged up his magic and in a flash of blue and white, was gone. Sirius watched the world around him disappear and reappear in the form of Canterlot's palace hall. Sirius started for the Equestrian halls at a quick pace. He didn't know if princess Luna would be far into an important debate or not but he thought that this was worth the interruption. Even if he was frowned upon. Sirius used his magic and the doors swung open. Everypony turned and glared at the captain but Sirius brushed them off. He walked down to Luna and bowed.

“ Sirius, You had better have an adequate reason for this.” Luna asked in a hushed whisper
.
“ I do your highness,” Said Sirius before leaning closer to Luna. Luna brought her head down and listened. “ The river that runs through Ponyvile and ends in the Everfree lake. It is no longer water. It seams to be chocolate milk-”

“ Captain I have no time for foalish games. Is this serious or not? And make haste, I have business to finish off here.”

“ I would never tell such idiotic lies. I implore you to investigate this matter. To change the entire river from Fillydelphia to its end would take a phenomenal amount of magic. One that any unicorn would not posses. As far as my knowledge reaches anyway.”

Luna paused for a moment. It was true that something would have to be very magically powerful to accomplish such a feet. Something that if left unchecked, could become a danger to Equestria. Luna straightened to her full height and addressed the diplomatic ponies. “ I regretfully say that these proceedings are to be closed as of now. There is an urgent matter that I must be present at-”

“ But we still haven't reasoned with the zebra's yet surely-”

“ I am aware of that fact. But that will just have to wait. I look forward to seeing you all the same time next week. Until then.” Replied Luna with finality in her voice. Rigel, who was at her side the whole time, followed Luna and Sirius outside the halls and into the throne room. There Luna lost her façade and rounded on both ponies.

“ Rigel! I want you to send three of your best pegasi to Fillydelphia and find the birth of the river. I want to know what exactly is causing this. If they find anything, I do not want them to engage. They will return and report only to me. Is that clear.”

“ Yes your highness.” Said Rigel before turning tail and leaving the room.

“ Sirius! I want you to take a brigade of guards back to Ponyvile and enforce that nopony there shall speak of this to anyone outside viewing distance of the river. Keep it away from society until further notice.”

“ And if anypony is to stumble across the river?”

“ They will be given the same orders by you. Do not spread the word of the rivers change or there will be punishments. Scare them in a way to keeping quite about this.”

“ As you wish. Are you going to alert you sister of these disturbances?”

“ No. I'll merely tell her if we find something worth while.” Said Luna dismissively. Sirius stared for a moment before nodding and leaving



Rigel stood before three pegasi looking them over. “ You know your orders. I expect them to be carried out to their fullest extent.” Two pegasi, one gray and the other white stood adorning golden armour. Both were of the fastest in the entire guard but it was the pegasus in the middle who was the leader of this group. Lightening Streak, the fastest and most agile pegasus ever known stood with virtually no armour on. Just a small neck bracelet with the royal guard insignia on it. His purple eyes stared back at Rigel's.

“ I understand general.”

“ Good. Now don't let me down. Because if you do. Its is not only me you are failing, but the princess herself. Find out what's causing the river to change.” Enforced Rigel. All three nodded before flashing into the air and disappearing into the distance. They would not return until they found the culprit.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment