• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,091 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,091

PreviousChapters Next
World 4: Chapter 12

Only a few days after the changelings surrendered, Sunset knew it was her time to move on. This time, she would not be jumping to some random world. She would be jumping to the past where Princess Twilight Sparkle battled it out against a pony named Starlight Glimmer. She won’t be alone in this. I’ll help her in whatever way I can. She’d been helping the changelings. Without their queen, most were lost, looking for answers. A lot of changelings ran in fear of Tirek, and so she and Ember helped coax them out of hiding.

She parted from Sombra during this time, leaving the dark stallion in the Crystal Empire to work on the spell that would transfer her to the past. He had solved the equation, and instead of sending a letter, he rushed to Ponyville. “It’s complete,” was all he said when he had arrived in the middle of the night, knocking loudly on the door to the Golden Oak’s Library. Ember had been awake—the dragoness had not left Sunset’s side, and she furrowed into herself when she heard the news.

But Tirek had been working well with the dragoness. “A second apprentice. No dragon shall be kicked out of Equestria so long as they follow your example,” he told her, a good sentence for someone who had burned the Appleloosa orchards. She would not be alone, truly alone, after Sunset’s departure.

When morning appeared, Sunset was almost unsure if she wanted to leave this world that she’d grown so much in. “I would like it if you stayed,” Sombra told her after she explained her feelings on the subject. “I would like it very much. I don’t see that happening, though.” He knew her well, and she hated leaving it at just that.

She trusted that the spell would work. Sombra being a smart stallion, she reckoned the smartest stallion she ever met. He wore his glasses, cape, and saddlebags to Ponyville, and he wore them out to the crystal map. They did not leave the morning after he arrived, however. She wanted those she cared for to join her in her departure, just like the friends she had made in the last three worlds.

Helping the changelings, taking the time to relax, it had given her a word that she found suited this world. Community. She had written it down in the journal given to her two worlds ago. The Crystal War timeline, the Resistance timeline, Nightmare’s Night timeline, and now the Community timeline. Her heart sung at the word. That was what this world truly was, a community of races, love, and personalities. She had thought of it after a memory of the Talent Market.

Ember disapproved, however, while Sombra thought it clever. “You still owe me for reading my journal,” he had said as he stole the book away, a mocking grin to his lips. “Quite a lot of memories you’ve put into here. Plan on showing someone special?”

“You can have a look all you want, Sombra. None of that is embarrassing,” she replied, a pen in her mouth. It was nice to have him and Ember traipsing around the Golden Oak’s Library. It almost made her want to stay longer. Almost, she echoed the changeling queen.

“Really? None of it?” he asked. “What about this part saying Sombra is a gorgeous, loveable hunk of a stallion?”

“What? That’s not in there!” She reached for the journal, unsure if she had or hadn’t written that.

“Well, it should be—give me a pen! I’ll write it down for you.”

That sent an idea through Sunset’s heart. “Sombra! You’re a genius!” She took the journal and slammed it on the kitchen table she sat at. Flipping to an unused page, the next entry for the Community timeline, she handed off a pen to Sombra. “Write! Write something nice or funny or encouraging. I want to get all my friends to say something. When I show it to Princess Twilight, she’s going to blow a gasket seeing all of them!”

Sombra grinned his suave little grin. “Anything? Well, alright. If you insist.”

Once he finished, she read it aloud: “There’s no one more impressive than Sunset Shimmer. No one more talented. No one else I’d like to be with more. She shimmers the sun that is my heart.” She glanced over at him. “Okay, now it’s embarrassing,” she said, red flushing the bridge of her nose and cheeks.

“Well, you said anything.” He stood for a moment smiling at her. “I’m going to miss you, Sunset. I really am. There’s no one like you.”

“Except for the me that’s from this world. You could always find her beyond the mirror,” she replied with a coy little laugh.

“Oh, trust me. I haven’t forgotten.” He didn’t say any more, and Ember soon appeared to sign her own words into Sunset’s book of memories.

“You misspelled constant,” Sunset told the dragoness.

“What? That was supposed to be contact!”

“Oh.” Sunset squinted. “That makes more sense, actually.”

The dragoness grunted angrily, stomping her foot. “I’m not good at expressing myself, okay!?”

“Really? The stomping and yelling seems like you’re very good at expressing how you feel, Ember,” snarked the dark stallion.

Crossing her arms, Ember threw a glare his way. “I read your little signature, Mr. Emotional. She’s got all the cutesy words she needs from you. Mine’s good enough!” She tried to justify her words as best as she could, but eventually gave up.

When Tirek arrived with the three alicorns, they all went to work adding their own optimistic encouragements. While Celestia was busy adding hers, Tirek asked Ember: “Do you plan on making the Golden Oak your home after Sunset is gone? Ponyville is a fine place to live, it definitely needs more dragons.”

“Can I still get lessons from you here in Ponyville?” she asked in response.

“Of course. I’ll be making myself plenty available for you as much as I can. Though, do try to keep the fire contained. Wouldn’t want the Golden Oak to go up in smoke,” he replied. Celestia handed off the journal and the centaur went to work adding his own words of praise.

When Sunset got back the journal, she was surprised by how little he wrote, yet it was what he wrote that meant the world to her. “Sunset Shimmer: a true hero.” She broke down on the spot, one last time, crying in front of the centaur who had already made her cry so much.

The writings were done and the only thing left was to head to the crystal map. Sunset led the march out of town, a parade of all different sorts. The glorious alicorn leaders, the Defender of Equestria, the princess of dragons, and a retired king. It matched too well with her leading the bearers of the other worlds. They marched their way with the sun high in the sky out into the charred ruins of the forest that spread around Ponyville. As they passed burnt trunks and grime-covered fields, Sunset noticed a few flowers had sprung out from the ground. They were not golden.

Reaching the crystal map, Sunset pushed off the dirt and filth that had blown back over the crystalline surface. “So this was out here the entire time? I’m sure glad I didn’t destroy it,” Tirek said, striking a finger against the soot of a broken seat. “Lovely crystal, though. Would make the ponies of the Crystal Empire jealous.”

“No, it doesn’t,” Sombra remarked snottily, rousing a bit of laughter from Cadance. The two stepped away from the table, allowing the others to get in their goodbyes to the unicorn.

“I suppose this is it, isn’t it?” Celestia said.

Celestia was different. She was different than the other Celestia’s Sunset had met. She was different because, out of all the Celestia’s, this one took the time to be with her after the conflict was finished. The Celestia of The Crystal War timeline had spoken with her, but it was not on the level that Sunset wanted, nor was the Resistance timeline’s Celestia. She had left far too early for the last world’s Celestia to speak to Sunset of the past, their time on the moon their only true moment together.

Sunset appreciated this world’s Celestia, where only a few days prior she felt like she wanted to explode at the alicorn. It’s funny how words can solve problems. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, as they say.

“This is it,” Sunset replied. “I’ve got a lot of faith that Sombra fixed this spell. If it doesn’t work, though, we could always have brunch again.”

“You had brunch without me, sister?” Luna scolded playfully. “I would like to hear more of this Nightmare’s Night if she happens to stay.”

Celestia laughed, and so did Sunset. It feels good to laugh, Sunset thought. “I believe Sunset is right, dear sister. Sombra has completed a spell that not even Star Swirl the Bearded could solve. Perhaps Cadance will lose her magical advisor if we invite him to Canterlot.”

“I heard that,” Cadance hollered, rousing even more laughter.

“Sunset,” the stallion in question called her name. Cadance stepped away as Sunset came close, the other alicorns moved from the crystal table to join the dragon princess. “Are you sure you’re ready to go? I know we’ve gathered everyone up and it would be really embarrassing if the spell failed…”

“It’s not going to fail, Sombra,” she told him, and he thanked her for the belief in him. “It’s not just belief in you, Sombra. I just know things are going to work out. I’m finally going to see Twilight again. It’s been so long—yet it hasn’t.” I’m not counting the times I’ve seen her as she’s leaving the world I’m entering!

He gave a stiff nod. “Alright, let’s try it out.”

They headed back to the table where only Tirek stood patiently. Ember and the alicorns had trotted a good distance away to get the full view of what was soon to happen. “Sunset, you’re an asset to this world that I cannot lose. I will not give you your magic so that you can leave!” he told her, his arms crossed, his face stern. “But… if I gave you your magic to right time, and it just so happened that it also opened up a portal for you to leave… well, that just can’t be helped.” He shrugged, a smile demurely appearing between his beard and moustache.

“Tirek. I’m going to miss you, so much.” She hugged his leg and he patted her head. “I’m going to see if the Tirek in my world can be reformed. I believe he can.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it. Defeating the changelings the first time, it—well, it changed me. Without playing the hero, I would never have become a real hero. I don’t think a me in your world has that luxury or personality. No offense to me, of course,” he replied.

“I’ll still try. Everyone can be reformed. Everyone.”

“Then I’ll leave you to it, Sunset Shimmer. Good luck, and goodbye.” With an extension of the centaur’s mouth, a waft of magic released from his gullet, striking at Sunset’s horn with the power of lightning.

Feeling a burst of energy, Sunset felt rejuvenated to the point she wanted to scream. “Thank you, Tirek,” she said with another hug before the centaur trotted off. She hoped this would not be the last time he gave magic to a pony.

“So,” Sombra said as he opened the brown book on the crystal table. “How’s it feel to have your magic back?” He sounded envious.

“Really good,” she didn’t lie.

“Then I guess it’s time.” He flipped to the back page and pointed to the spell.

Sunset examined the incantation. It was written in two parts but combined into one. The taking of magic was underlined as part of the spell, followed by the giving of what appeared to be magic as well. She tried to understand all of which was written, but she didn’t bother trying too hard. She knew Sombra had gotten it right. With a sudden pause and reflexive close of her eyes, she whispered a plea and let loose the spell. A bout of magical bolts hit the crystal table, making the surface glow with bright white light. It turned into a rainbow of colors that struck the sky. It shined so hard that it could be seen from space—but then it faded!

“Oh geez, I shouldn’t have joked!” Sombra shouted. “This is really embarrassing—try again, please!”

Sunset shook her head and did as she was instructed, trying the spell once more. But just like the last, the white glow faded as quickly as it appeared. “No use. Are you sure you got everything right?”

“I was certain!” He took the book and examined it closely. “Here, follow this part of the incantation and give me a bit of your magic. I’ll give it a shot. Maybe the calculations are wrong for your body, a gender difference, perhaps. I’m unsure.”

“A gender difference?” Sunset had to laugh. For some reason, Sunset couldn’t help but think that someone had warned her not to give Sombra magic, but it was nowhere near the forethought within her mind. She was so focused on getting to Twilight that she immediately handed off the magic she had just obtained—though not all of it. She knew she wanted to keep some for herself.

As she was giving a piece of her magic, she could hear yelling; screaming in the distance. When she went to stop the process, she found that she could not let go. The dark stallion was taking it all, turning her eyes back to the grey, lifeless pupils they’d been. When the process was finished, Sunset shook her head and opened her eyes, coming face to face with the eyes she had seen once before.

They scared her when she looked through the telescope, it was as if they were looking right into her very being. Those crimson, terrifying eyes pierced her, judged her, and flung her aside. And now they were staring right at her, so close, with a smile that would scare even the hardest of villains. “Thank you, Sunset. I knew following you would lead me to great things,” the stallion said in his darkest voice.

With a finessed turn, the stallion slammed his hooves down on the ground. It had been Tirek who yelled, shouting for Sunset to not give the stallion magic. Tirek had not trusted Sombra, and it appeared to be for good reason. With a slam of his hooves, crystals shot up out of the ground, trapping Tirek before he got too close to the two unicorns. Crystal wrapped around Tirek like a spider trapping a fly, a single hand and the centaur’s head were the only things visible.

Sombra knew the centaur could change size, and so the stallion wasted no time climbing up the incline of crystals. With a burst of energy from his horn—Sombra did what Tirek had done to so many ponies. The centaur attempted to blast the stallion right off the formed crystal.

A click, click, but no boom.

Sunset could not believe her eyes. Why was Sombra doing this? He was reformed! He was kind! She writhed on the ground, struggling to move her legs to the platform that he had made on top of Tirek. As she almost reached him, the dark stallion finished with the centaur and jumped to meet the three alicorns that were rushing their way. She knew she wouldn’t reach him now, not with the crystal platforms that he sprung up to take on the flying mares. Instead, she climbed the crystal that trapped Tirek, hoping her teacher was alright.

“T-Tirek!” she cried when she saw him. He looked as if a thousand years had passed in an instant. His age wasn’t just showing, it was clear as day. “Tirek! What did he do to you? Why is he doing this!?”

The centaur coughed and wheezed, his eyes were closed. The pale red of his skin was frightening. His horns had completely diminished into stumps. He tried to flex his face, but it was clear that it hurt to do so. “N-never should have trusted ponies,” he breathed, the only thing that he could still do. His eyes slowly, painstakingly opened, and Sunset saw the grey pupils staring back at her. “Do you feel like a hero?” As soon as he spoke the words, he stopped moving, his tongue relaxed in his mouth.

Sunset’s tears struck the centaur’s cheeks. A stretch of magical blasts distracted her from the centaur. That was when she saw Sombra tearing toward her. Celestia and Cadance laid helplessly on the ground, unconscious. Luna was falling from the sky behind him, the most athletic of the trio beaten. Before she could react, the stallion hurdled her into the air with a push off of his crystals. He caught her as she landed on the platform that he stood on, moving toward the table that brought her so much trouble. “Ah, wonderful to see you again my dear.”

The platform fell to the ground and Sunset rolled in the charred dirt, struggling to get to her hooves. “Why?” she cried, though it sounded like nothing more than a whimper.

“Really? You’re going to ask why? I told you flat out—I’d use magic to change the world for the better. Of course, what I think is better and what others think are two completely different avenues. I did warn you to look for those, you know. I mean, I’d been looking for years for ways to draw magic out of creatures. You plopped the answer into my lap along with the creatures that could show me how.” He grinned his evil grin as he stood over her.

Sunset slammed with all her strength into the stallion, but he didn’t even budge. “Stop it, Sombra! Stop it!”

“Oh, I really do like you Sunset. We could have made the world together, me as King Sombra and you as Queen Sunset Shimmer. But, it’s as you said, that can still happen. And apparently, in this world, she’s just as evil as I am. I wonder how she’ll react once I bring her back through your mirror.” An evil laugh bellowed from the stallion like drums in an echo chamber. “But don’t worry, I promised you salvation, didn’t I? I keep my promises.”

The stallion whipped the book into his hooves before using his magic to prop it up. “I have sure missed this. It makes life so much easier. This spell that I’ve been working on—it’s complete junk.” Obliterating the book, he wiped his hooves from its ashes. “But with all the magic of Equestria, I’ve got enough to open your little crystal table’s portal.”

“No! No!” she yelled, tears falling down her cheeks.

With a green mist spouting from the tip of his crimson horn, the stallion shook the table with a spell that only he had figured out. Tearing through the world, a portal—the portal—opened, a ticking clock echoed and gears grinding reverberated around them. Wind began to pull Sunset, but the stallion latched onto the straps of her backpack, keeping her from being pulled away.

“One last kiss before you go?” he asked, pushing his muzzle close. “Nah. I’m not that evil.”

Releasing her, Sunset floated into the sky, swallowed by the portal. The last thing she saw was the evil grin of the stallion she had trusted more than anyone—and a certain blue dragoness sneaking up behind him.

The portal made her feel sick—or perhaps that was Sombra, she couldn’t tell which. She closed her grey eyes, knowing wherever she ended up would not be home. This portal was somehow different. She did not hear the mysterious voice this time, only the sound of a spell being cast, followed by the ringing of clapping. She was disgusted, not just with the clearly mocking action, but with herself.

Falling out into another world, Sunset landed rump first into a pile of toys. She stared upward at the magical purple princess who was disappearing into the same sort of portal she came from. Sunset didn’t care to shout or cry out for the pony or the dragon that sat on the mare’s back. Sunset didn’t want them seeing her like this—broken, magic-less, and in tears.

PreviousChapters Next