• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,091 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,091

PreviousChapters Next
World 6: Chapter 3

“How was I supposed to know it was some weird cart? Wheels turning, metal on metal. You heard it too! If you thought it wasn’t a train, why didn’t you stop me? And just one pony too. How’d you fail getting that bag off of her? I rushed in to help you only to lose my only pair of overalls.”

“Eenope. That gal was a princess.”

“What? The smoke get to your head or somethin’? Ain’t no way that was a princess. Too small. I didn’t see no wings neither. Wouldn’t she have just been flying to the Crystal Empire?”

“Eeyup. Saw the wings after pinnin’ her down.”

Sunset stood upon the branches above the two ponies, listening to their discussion. The two had removed their gasmasks, confirming to Sunset exactly who they were. At least now we don’t have to go looking for her, she mused, watching as the two began trotting off. Dropping to the ground, Sunset glanced in the opposite direction. She waved a hoof and Pinkie suddenly appeared beside her, grass and roots coating her pink mane. “Let’s follow them. Quietly.”

Pinkie Pie went to speak, but Sunset threw a hoof over her muzzle. Shaking her head, she trotted onward.

The two assailants were not quiet about their trek through the forest. Even with covered canopies and brush the size of Celestia’s mane, Sunset found no issue in tracking the duo. Leading Pinkie Pie was more of a hassle for the alicorn, eventually succumbing to simply levitating the pink pony behind her.

When the wastrel trees slanted and bent, so too did the shoddy tents of the Apple Family. A very small clearing within the forest held twenty to thirty ponies, most of which had a form of apple on their flank. Each of the ponies greeted the two assailants while Sunset watched from the cover of leaves. The others who were part of the attack on the sloppily-made cart returned before the two, their heavy sighs a sign of relief. Campfires were lit, pins of apples were set to roast, and the chattering of their days echoed in a rabble of inconsistent laughing.

Refusing to lurk any longer, Sunset put on her most furious frown and released Pinkie Pie. Stepping out from the trees, she walked forward, Pinkie trailing behind. Her brows almost touched, her angered face a powerful deterrent to those surprised by the stranger. Some ran into their tents while others rushed to the two deviants that she tracked. Surprised more than fearful, the big red male stepped forward, protecting the orange mare. He didn’t say a word, his common trait, as Sunset stepped toward him.

The more she refused to stop her trot, the more his confidence wavered. His shaking intensified to the point of an earthquake by the time she was no more than a yard away. Yet it was not the stallion that spoke first. Rushing to stand between him and Sunset, the orange pony skidded, blocking the path. “If you want to fight somepony, fight me! I won’t let you harm my brother!” Standing firm, Applejack’s stance showed no signs of cowardice. Her strength and form matched the coolness in her eyes.

“I’m not here for him. I’m here for you,” Sunset replied, and that frightened the confident mare. She stopped in front of Applejack, still displaying her temper across her face. “You’re one of the six I need to change this world. For attacking me, you’re going to make it up by coming with me.”

“Come with you? Change the world?” The earth pony quaked just as her brother did. “H-how could I help do any of that? Look at this place.” She held a hoof to the tents. “This is what remains of the Apple Family. We and a few of those from Ponyville. Out here, living in tents. I couldn’t even hold onto the last bit of home we had in Sweet Apple Acres. None of us could. Our lives in ruin. Why in Equestria would you want somepony like me? Who are you?”

Though her face remained angry, a grin parsed her lips with clenched teeth. If I have to play the part of villain, I may as well play it up. “Pinkie Pie, who told you to tag along with me?”

“The Flim Flam Brothers, of course!” she happily replied.

“The same brothers I plan on removing from power, along with wiping the smudge of Princessland off of Equestria for good.” The words hit their mark too well, both Applejack and her brother trembled in sweaty fear. “It won’t be called Princessland once I’m done with it, as I will be the only princess to rule. Once I remove the princesses and come into power, I’ll throw those brothers into Tartarus.”

“You?” Big Mac, Applejack’s brother, raised his voice.

“I plan on overstepping the other princesses and making this world mine,” she lied. “And Applejack here is going to help me do that.”

“How’d you know my name!?” the earth pony backed up, cozying next to her brother.

“I know many things. Your sister is Apple Bloom, your grandmother is Granny Smith. You’re stubborn. You call friends sugarcube. You always wear your signature brown hat. And, most importantly, you’re the Element of Honesty.”

With a big gulp of air, Applejack wiped her brow with the back of her hoof. “Maybe we should talk inside. Come on, Mac.” She pushed the red stallion into one of the larger tents, and Sunset followed them in, Pinkie at her side.

The slapdash home reminded Sunset of another world. Crimson red, a plethora of pillows, free food. The tent Celestia let them use during The Crystal War was nothing like Applejack and Big Mac’s home aside from the spacious interior. Holes were patched and then undone, tables were cluttered with messy tools or moldy food, and a bed of hay sat in the center, though it spread in every direction with little strands. The flaps of the tent didn’t close, and the tie that would normally wrap them shut didn’t exist. Another pony already stood within the tent, examining potions and tools on a table. Big Mac beckoned her, and in the light, Sunset gawked at the familiar face.

Zecora! The zebra stood with a smile in front of Big Mac, only for it to abruptly fade. “Truly, a princess? At your behest.” She bowed, and as she exited, she courteously lowered her head to Sunset, remaining silent.

Sunset wanted a moment to speak to the zebra. It’s been so long since I met her, in the world of changeling ruin. When she turned, Applejack cut her focus back to the previous conversation. “What’s your name?” the earth pony asked as she stood several body-lengths away from the princess.

“I am Princess Sunset Shimmer. This is Pinkie Pie, another of the ponies I require,” she answered, snapping her eyes to Applejack and lifting a hoof as she introduced the pink pony. “This is very sudden, but you’re going to have to come with me.”

“Come with you where, exactly?”

“All over. I need four more before I can go after the Elements of Harmony.”

“The Elements of whatnow?” Applejack asked.

“Oh! I know what that is!” Pinkie Pie interrupted. “Water, carbon, ammonia, phosphorous, salt—”

Sunset stopped the pink pony. “Not those type of elements, Pinkie. The Elements of Harmony are what we’ll use to rule Princessland and all of Equestria. With them on my side, nothing will stop me from becoming the biggest star in the land, tearing down the princesses and the Flim Flam Brothers. Of course, the six bearers will be well rewarded for their help,” she told them, knowing it would shock them to hear such an evil plan.

Yet Applejack didn’t question it. “You’re not a princess I’ve ever heard of, to be honest. I guess you don’t like livin’ in their shadow, do ya?” she replied. “Taking down Flim and Flam. That’s part of your goal? Shoot. I like the ring to that.”

“Eenope,” Big Mac said, pushing a hoof in front of Applejack.

“No?” Applejack looked up with keen eyes, the green glaring against his red fur. “Mac, all my life I’ve been doing what other ponies have told me to do, expecting something to change. It never does. You know this isn’t the life I wanted. To keep doing what I’m told. By you, by family, and back then, by Granny. Well, if I’m just following commands, I may as well follow a princess.”

The argument was sound and surprising to the stallion. His defense wavered immediately as he removed his hoof. “We’re family, Applejack,” he said in a quiet voice.

“We’ll always be family, but I’ve got to make a name for us again. Maybe the Apples on top. It might help bring Granny back to us. You really want our family livin’ out here wastin’ our time on a train that never comes? I mean, what were we even gonna do if it had been a train? Board it and try some sort of robbery? You know nopony coming from Ponyville to the Crystal Empire has anythin’. We only had the garments on our backs when we headed that way.”

Applejack then turned to Sunset and nodded. “I’ve got a good feeling about you, princess. Never heard of an evil princess before, but I ain’t heard of Princess Luna neither till a few years ago. May as well see where this goes.” Rubbing her foreleg with the other, she tilted her head into her shoulder. “It’s been a while, a long while, since somepony needed me. Somepony who ain’t family. If it means takin’ down those awful twins in the process, I’m in.”

This is going easier than I could have hoped for. Convincing Applejack has always been easy, now that I think about it. Especially in that first world. All it took was showing her the truth. “Then we’ll be leaving now. I have no time to waste being this close to the Crystal Empire. The third is there, and I’d like to bring her into the fold before night arrives.”

“Before night?” Applejack rubbed her chin and glanced at Big Mac. “Think you can get us there, Mac? We do kind of owe her for destroying—” She turned back to Sunset “—whatever that thing was you were riding. Sure wasn’t a train.”

He gave a long, exaggerated sigh. “Eeyup…”

Outside, Sunset noted all the Apple family members gathered around their own tents, watching in anticipation of any retribution given by the princess. Zecora didn’t bother to remain, though whichever tent or direction she’d gone was a mystery.

When it was clear Big Mac was setting up a cart for transport, the Apples returned to their normal chores. Chatter once again rang through the cozy, drifter camp. She glanced around at their terrible tents, which were in disrepair much like Applejack’s. Clothing was strung up to dry, though most of the ponies here wore nothing but ribbons and bows in their manes. Or some overalls. “What a quaint little home, don’t you think Princess Sunset Shimmer?” Pinkie asked. “It reminds me of when I lived with my family on the rock farm, except instead of tents everything was rocks. Rocks are home to all the little crawlers hidden underneath.”

“Are you comparing us to bugs?” Applejack scornfully questioned as she helped Big Mac.

“No, but that’s a marvelous analogy!” Pinkie replied, gleaming a bright smile. “Wowie! You’re going to be a great friend for Princess Sunset Shimmer if you know how to come up with really good analogies! You’ll be even better than my sister Maud, I bet!”

“Uh,” Applejack responded, slack-jawed. Her eyes ran to Sunset who simply shrugged. The conversation petered out with a few short grunts and a roll of eyes. It was only when Big Mac finished with settling the wagon that Applejack spoke again. “Alright. Can you muster all the endurance you’ve got big brother? She wants to be there before nightfall.”

Rocking his head, the big stallion hustled to the front and attached the harness to his body. “Eeyup!”

Sunset helped Pinkie into the wagon while Applejack sat on the front, managing the tied reins that attached to her brother and their cart. Ponies gathered around to watch them off, much like the citizens cheering Pinkie and Sunset’s departure from Ponyville. Though she didn’t know their names, Sunset felt an odd sort of bitterness in her heart. They worked hard to push down the bearers, huh? They did more than that. They pushed down the Apple family, friends of the Apple family, and Ponyville itself. What sort of hero does that for just one mare from another world?

“You’ve already made two friends, Princess Sunset Shimmer! That’s two more than I made before meeting you!”

“We’re not friends,” replied Applejack as the wagon began moving. Lifting her brown hat from underneath the seat, she pushed it back against her golden hair. “Family is all I’ve ever needed. Ain’t never had friends, though we’ve got some ponies who are close with the family. It’s not the same as sharing a family bond, of course.” She waved to her relatives and they waved back, though their faces held strange expressions of confusion.

“Hey! I’ve never had friends either! We should be friends!” Pinkie jumped to the bench to be beside Applejack. “I’m Pinkie Pie and I like baking, sleeping, and long walks on the beach! I also collect paper. Princess Sunset Shimmer collects scissors, you know.”

Applejack responded to Pinkie with laughter, though not unkind. “Well, aren’t’cha just the wildest gal I’ve ever met. I’m a tad paranoid that this little trio will end up in more smoke than when me and Mac first tested Zecora’s smokescreen. At least if it does, I’ll be gone with a strained gut from laughin’.”

“I don’t know what I said was funny, but I’m happy either way!” Pinkie snorted, giggling at the same time.

Sitting in the back, Sunset watched as the two interacted. Though her face held a smile, inside she battled against guilt. Tricking these six isn’t something I’m going to enjoy, but it’ll be worth it if they’re back on the right path. It’s my fault they’re this way, after all. Even if Discord says it’s his, even if he tells me he’s sorry, this is my fault. I stepped through the magic mirror. I tried to help every world. I made myself a target and hurt those around me, even if they’ve never met me. Whatever is in my path, I’ve got to meet it head on. For their sake.

Taking out her newer journal, she brushed over to the pages set for The Crystal War. Though Big Mac plodded swiftly, the trees of the forest blocked the wind from shuffling her pages around. With a chance to write, she did so. What happens here matters, she thought as she wrote down the best memories. I still can’t believe how right she was. Everything I’ve ever done, it’s all crossing over into one reality. I’ll give this world’s Discord points for that. Doesn’t mean I’ll go easy on him, though.

“Princess Sunset Shimmer! You sure write a lot, don’t you? What are you writing about?” Pinkie asked. The pink pony sat with her back to Big Mac, her front hooves tucked between her back legs. Both Applejack and Pinkie stared at Sunset, smiles on their faces.

“You two, actually,” Sunset answered. “Don’t worry, nothing bad. I promise.” She closed the book quickly, the broken watch rattled against the thick binding. “Only things I like get to go in here.”

Pinkie gawked. “Great goosebumps! How am I in there and also out here!? Could you imagine if there were two of me?” Pinkie shook her head. “Wait. Has this joke been made before?” She shrugged and turned back around to the road.

“You two sure know how to put the fun back into dysfunctional,” Applejack said, hooting with every breath.

Sunset couldn’t help but enjoy herself as she listened to the two. She remained quiet the entire ride to the Crystal Empire, other than bursting with laughter at one of Pinkie’s ridiculous responses to Applejack. Even when the northern cold began slowing the strong, red stallion’s gallop, the two bearers remained upbeat, cheering him on. They called this place my prison, yet jail’s never seemed sweeter, Sunset mused, humming to herself a little song. How is this possible? To be so happy, yet so trapped?

Passing the barrier of frozen ground to the nippy grass that surrounded the pure crystalline city, Sunset noted no changes to what she previously knew of the Crystal Empire. Unlike Ponyville and Canterlot, it remained untouched by the changes within the world. Chalking it up to the city only recently reappearing, Sunset understood Discord’s time changing did not affect predestined arrivals, no matter how talented his chaos was. Nightmare Moon and the Crystal Empire. He’d have to go back pretty far for those to change.

A sudden twinge of curiosity struck Sunset, then bloomed into an epiphany like a flower in the morning sun.

If he wanted this place to keep me here forever, why didn’t he just make it exactly like my Equestria? I’d have been none the wiser. I could have entered the mirror, and he could have smashed it. Is it simply his hubris and pride of his power that he believes I have no chance in beating? Am I worth such a trouble? She turned her head slightly, trying to glare down at her backpack. She wanted to ask the draconequus, she wanted answers, though she knew she’d get none. To invite them to witness Discord’s alliance with me would only turn them against me now, she deemed. “The Crystal Empire. Have either of you girls been here?” she asked the two earth ponies.

Applejack indicated she’d not and Pinkie Pie copied the response. Sunset then asked, “We’ll be going all over. Probably won’t return to Ponyville for a long while. I know Pinkie won’t stop following me. Do you have any problems with tagging along, Applejack? Even if things get thick and scary?”

“Thick and scary? Those aren’t just some passing words.” Applejack studied Sunset, dragging out a curious brow above her green eyes. “Flim and Flam deserve a tack in their hats. If you’re the one to give it to them, I’ll stand by you till the deed is done. Even if it means making you our supreme leader, or whatever you’re wanting.”

“Good. I’m glad. The third we’ll be picking up is a pony name Twilight Sparkle. I don’t know what she’s doing in the Crystal Empire, but I hope convincing her won’t be too difficult,” Sunset replied. “I do suspect she’ll be very ecstatic about the princesses. If she is, please don’t inform her of my plans. She might not understand, or would ruin my cover.”

Applejack understood, though her initial reaction showed hesitation. Pinkie, on the other hoof, nodded wildly, clearly misunderstanding the entire command. Sunset let them both keep their own thoughts, returning her eyes to the world around them.

Passing the crystal ponies, chatter rang through the streets as soon as it was discovered an alicorn arrived. Sunset’s face showed interest in the praise and adoration, but it was just a show, her own heart beating its own adoration for her new friends. The ponies cawed and rubbernecked, shouting words of happiness, selfish desires, and anything between. Eventually surrounded by the onlookers, Big Mac was forced to detour directly to the castle where guards waited with open invitation. Sunset didn’t mind the route or the guard. If there’s one place she’ll be, it has to be the castle. It makes sense. Cadance and Shining Armor are married in this world.

“Cadance!” Though she was right, Sunset hadn’t realized what it meant. “Wait, you’re not Cadance.”

The white stallion had reached the wagon at a breakneck speed, almost climbing into the cart upon hearing of her arrival, yet it was not the princess he so wished. “Sorry lover boy, your princess is in another castle,” Sunset told him.

The embarrassment was soon replaced with malcontent. “I received no letter detailing arrival of a princess, let alone one I’ve never seen before,” he said with curious confidence. His whole body seemed to tense, becoming defensive, as if he could see the wolf in sheep’s clothing. “Who are you?”

He doesn't know me? Then unlike Pinkie Pie, Twilight may have no idea who I am. If they only told Pinke, why?

“That’s Princess Sunset Shimmer!” Pinkie Pie told him. “That’s Applejack, and I’m Pinkie Pie! We’re friends with her!”

He looked at the two and his mind seemed to ease. “Friends, huh? Well, I’m sure you must have some good reason to visit our humble city. My wife would claim me remiss if I did not offer pleasantries to a princess and her friends.” Hopping from the cart, the white stallion shouted for the guards to escort the mares. “Oh, and my name is Shining Armor. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Sunset said as she glided from the cart. Not that I haven’t met you a multitude of times now.

Applejack said her goodbyes to her brother who seemed more distraught than his younger sibling. When the stallion sidled the wagon around and trotted on, Applejack followed Sunset and the guards into the castle. “I guess you and your brother are pretty close, huh?” Sunset asked Applejack on their way up.

“Yeah. Ever since Granny took Apple Bloom and ran off to Las Pegasus, it’s just been me and him. It’s a good thing too, though, since she didn’t have to see what we resorted to. Ain’t right what we’ve been doing,” answered Applejack. “I don’t remember whose idea it was to start such a no good, dirty tradition. I think it was Big Mac. Or maybe somepony else?” She then closed her mouth, drifting off to a memory.

“Welcome, Princess Sunset Shimmer,” Shining Armor said as they entered the throne room, waving a hoof to staff. Water was immediately presented for the trio of mares as Shining Armor took to the top steps beside the throne. “I do not mean to be rude, but I will get straight to the point. I do not recognize you, nor have I heard of you prior to this day. Not even from my wife, or our written correspondences, have I heard the name Sunset Shimmer. What is your reason for coming to the Crystal Empire? I mean, my wife hasn’t even returned since she signed her contract. Surely Princessland has everything you desire.”

“I’m here for your sister, actually. I’m collecting ponies for a pet project of mine, and the other princesses hold no counter to my task,” Sunset replied. She did not remain at the door. To prove her prideful stature to that of her friends and to the stallion, she trotted the steps and sat down in the throne. “Surely you know where to find her, correct?”

The brazen action hit its mark, the stallion cowed down in his confidence. “Of course,” he replied, though Sunset was certain that’d be his response regardless of her act. “My parents moved here and she came along when Canterlot became Princessland. She’s been quite the recluse, however. It’s rare for her to want for anything that isn’t related to the princesses. Sometimes, I wonder if she’s showering properly.” The increase of unneeded information was not something Sunset wanted, proving that her display did the trick to the nth degree.

Oh gosh. I hope she doesn’t smell. If she’s a recluse, it may be more difficult to coax her into coming with me. “Princesses,” Sunset repeated, her eyes appraising the stallion. “She likes the princesses?”

Shining Armor shrugged, stepping back from the throne. “Ever since the School for Gifted Unicorns closed down right after accepting her, and the opening of Princessland, she’s been into everything princess related. Sometimes it’s too much, especially when Cadance does send letters to me. I mean, somethings are private, you know?” He then caught himself. “Sorry, Princess Sunset Shimmer. I shouldn’t bore you with my troubles.”

“That’s quite alright,” she replied. “I like that about you.” Just like Shining Armor, she caught herself. “H-having just met you, I mean. I can see why Cadance married you.” Wait no, that’s worse, she caught herself once more, vacating the throne quickly, and returning to the two bearers.

Shining Armor laughed, obviously unobservant of the poor choice in words. “Yeah, well I’m the lucky one. Would you be interest in taking a load off after your trip, or do you wish to meet my sister right away? Cadance likes to take her time, following in Princess Celestia’s shoes. I was only captain for a short while before our marriage, but while I was, Princess Luna seemed quite the opposite.” He smiled wide. “I’m curious of your personality, having never heard of you prior to today.”

“You could say me and Luna are quite in sync.” She smiled back, her head held high. “Please. I’d like to be on our way with your sister in tow as soon as possible, should she be willing.”

“Very well, though I do hope you don’t find it inappropriate of me to write to my wife while you visit with my sister. A bit of instinct coming from my days as a royal guard tells me to check every avenue,” he responded, “I’d like to verify your, well, existence.”

“Not a problem.” You’re the first to question it, actually. Nopony else seem to notice anything other than the wings and horn. To think, this blinding power was what I craved long ago. She frowned, hiding it from Shining Armor and the girls. Now I just want to see my friends again. To be at CHS. Just a little bit further to go. I can feel it.

The white stallion took parchment with ink and quill, levitating the items as he trotted out of the throne room. “My apologies for making you walk such a trifling amount of steps just to head back down. My sister doesn’t live in the castle anymore. She’s staying with my parents in a home just a block away. It was a tedious first few months after their arrival, but the opening of Princessland unleashed a whole can of worms for others more so than myself.”

Sunset nodded, trailing behind. She could hear Applejack grumbling something under her breath about the Flim Flam Brothers, though the low tones made it as though she were chanting a hum. “I take it you are upset with Flim and Flam, Shining Armor?” Sunset asked.

“They saved my wedding, yet they’ve taken my wife from me. Their influence appointed me and Cadance here in the Crystal Empire, only to have her return to Princessland and transform the city into some amusement park. I choose to remain optimistic, if only due to their heroic actions. They’ve never visited the Crystal Empire aside from their defeat of King Sombra with that strange machine of theirs. It’s almost as though they never stay in one place for long, aside from Princessland. It’s odd behavior and skitters my nerves. I do not loathe them, if that is what you are asking. I’d be more than inclined to house them should they ever decide to travel north.” He eyed back at her. “What’s your relation to them?”

“None. I have nothing against them,” she lied. To her surprise, both Pinkie and Applejack kept their mouths shut, to which she would need to thank them later.

He grunted approval. “I’d have assumed not. Cadance is this same way, actually, and she would have a better impression of them than I. She signed their silly contract after all.”

“I’m contractless,” she replied, grinning. “For the time being. That’ll change, I’d imagine.”

As they entered the street, the city guards were busy corralling the few loose citizens who had seen the arrival of the princess. Shining Armor began his letter, unabashed by the local adoring screams. “What is this project? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“It’s a secret. The other princesses know all about it, so if you feel the need to include that in your letter, I trust them to give however much information they choose to send.” Sunset knew they’d not send anything of the sort. Their quietness on the matter was all she was asking for aside from support.

His scribbling ceased as they reached a home of pink rose quartz. He gave two swift knocks and a mare Sunset did not recognize answered the door. “Oh, Shining! What’re you doing here?” the unicorn asked, her blue eyes dragging to the three mares. “Oh my. You’re not bringing more ponies to try and befriend Twilight, are you?”

“No mother,” he replied, rolling his eyes. “This is Princess Sunset Shimmer and her cohorts Applejack and Pinkie Pie. The princess has come to meet with Twilight of her own accord.” He then lifted a hoof to the mother. “Princess, this is my mother, Twilight Velvet.”

Grey fur, blue eyes. Starry cutie mark. Definitely their mother. “Pleasure’s mine.”

“A princess? For Twilight?” Velvet went almost cross-eyed. “I… do come in, please.”

The moderate home was everything Sunset expected. Clean, ornate, not a single coffee stain on any table. A piano with doilies fitted atop, knickknacks covering the shelves. A grandfather clock with sleek golden hands. Pictures of family and a painting of the princesses. “Twilight! Twilight! Come down here this instant! We have guests to meet you!” the panicked mother called, rushing to the staircase that sat opposite the entrance. Sunset watched as the banister wobbled from Velvet’s stomping hooves.

The loud knocks upon the bedroom door stirred the occupant when the yelling had not. “Mom, I don’t want to meet anyone Shining’s brought. I appreciate it but I’m tired of him telling me I need to get out more.”

“They’ve requested you! A princess requested you!”

“A princess!?” The door slammed open, smashing Velvet into the wall. “Well, why didn’t you say so!?” The purple unicorn practically fell down the steps getting to Sunset Shimmer. “H-h-hi there!” she greeted, falling to her knees and skidding them on the carpeting. “I’m…”

“Twilight Sparkle.” Sunset spoke the name so crossly it brought a fearful expression to the young unicorn’s face. Yet it was Sunset who felt the fear in her heart, a painful anguish that she knew only Discord could have concocted. Of all the Twilights she met from all the different worlds, this single mare looked so much like the one who transferred to CHS. Glasses, ponytail, little wafts of mane trailing down her cheeks. Even a straightened pink bow sat around her neck, though that was all she bothered to wear.

“Yo-you’re… not a princess?” Twilight Sparkle stated the question as if it wasn’t a question at all.

With a flex of her wings, Sunset revealed to the unicorn that she indeed held both wings and horn. “I am Princess Sunset Shimmer. I require your assistance with a pet project and would like you to come with me.”

The purple eyes shined like the stars of her cutie mark beneath the glasses. “You need me for something!? Oh, what an honor! I-I’ve never heard of you, though. Do you know Princess Celestia? Will I meet her?”

A small grin tugged at Sunset’s lips. “Celestia was my teacher for a long time, years ago,” she answered, surprising both Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor. Even Pinkie Pie and Applejack gasped at the revelation. “Things changed. I changed. Now I am here, requesting your help. Will you accompany me, even though you know nothing about me?”

“Of course! Absolutely! I’ll just grab my things!” Rushing back up the stairs, she yelled, “Hi mom, bye mom!” as she entered her room, closing shut the door behind her.

The room fell silent aside from the clattering and wrestling hoofsteps coming from the mare’s bedroom. Yet it wasn’t silent for long. “Student to Princess Celestia, huh? I’ve been captain of the royal guard for years, but I certainly don’t remember a Sunset Shimmer.” He held the rolled parchment in the pit of his foreleg. “Where have you been all this time? Why has Princess Celestia never spoken of you?”

Sunset held a smile to Shining Armor, never letting it falter as she tried to think of the right response. Her eyes drifted to the pictures on the wall. Family photos, some of friends of Shining Armor. One stuck out the most.

In the center sat Twilight Sparkle with a ribbon for first place, alongside the strange contraption she’d created. Around her, however, Sunset recognized the mares. Though they were younger, fillies at best, she recognized their manes and furs. Moondancer, second place. The unicorn wrapped around Twilight’s neck, happier than the first place winner herself. To the left stood Minuette and Twinkleshine, laughter could be heard even in the still image. To the right was third place, Lemon Hearts, a pony whose Charm Sunset never saw. Not that I regret it. A reflective smile came and went on Sunset’s lips.

“Send that letter. Find out for yourself,” she commanded Shining Armor, refusing to face him as she answered.

“It may be a bit before I receive a response. I’m not certain I’d want my sister to travel out of my city with a stranger until I know you are who you say you are,” Shining Armor said, a backbone rising from his previous agreeable responses.

“You may not get that option. I refuse to simply wait around when there are things I must be doing. I’ve got to head to Manehattan and then Cloudsdale. A lot of jaunting tasks need to be filled and rides to be procured.”

“I understand. However, I can provide a train for you, along with your own personal conductor, if you’d be willing to wait,” Shining Armor obligingly offered.

Sunset trotted up the steps, smiling at Twilight Velvet as she came to Twilight Sparkle’s room. “Even back to Canterlot? The last pony I’ll need is there. If you’d do that for me, I’d certainly consider spending a night,” Sunset yelled down to him. She twisted the knob, not even bothering to knock. I’m quite surprised it’s been so easy to convince these three to come with me. Surely the latter three will be more difficult. My luck’s gotta run out eventually.

Shining Armor announced a word, but it was garbled by the sounds of Twilight’s quickened packing. “Oh geez, sorry about the mess. I’m just gathering a few things I need,” the purple unicorn said, greeting Sunset.

“A few?” Sunset marveled at the saddlebags upon saddlebags, each of which was crammed to burst with books, papers, and princess memorabilia. “Trust me Twilight, you won’t need any of that stuff. Just you.”

“B-but… what if I get bored on a long trip. I heard Manehattan and Canterlot—well, Princessland. Haven’t heard Canterlot in a while. Not since we moved. Geez.” Twilight Sparkle squirmed, wriggling her hooves against her cheeks. “Not to mention if we are going to Princessland, I’ve got to bring a camera, money for all the princess collectibles, and all the books I’ve been needing to return to the library there…”

Sunset held her breath, then released it in a longwinded manner. “Trust me, Twilight. I need you and only you.”

“Oh…” The mare went silent. Her eyes darted back and forth. “This is awkward. I-I’ve never been needed before. Or ever. Wh-why do you need someone like me? I know my brother’s a prince and all, but it’s not like I’m royalty.”

“I’ll tell you once were on our way. Just, leave the luggage, alright?”

Twilight stood around awkwardly with puffed up cheeks, silence permeated the air like a thick fog. Eventually, Twilight spoke, “B-but you have a bag.”

“Twilight.”

“Right, right. Yo-you’re the princess here.”

“Come on, Twilight,” Sunset sighed and turned out of the room, unaware of the small sack Twilight tucked over her shoulders, filled to the brim with books.

PreviousChapters Next