• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,060 Views, 679 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 679
 9,060

PreviousChapters Next
World 6: Chapter 2

“I am greatly ashamed to admit this,” Discord began. He teetered back and forth like a nervous child in the principal’s office. Sunset had never seen him like this. “I am of great help. If not for the other me blocking my own power, I could set her friend Princess Twilight Sparkle on the final stretch. In the place they need to reach.” He fidgeted with his hands, clearly debating his next words. “Of course, she is stuck here because of my interference.”

“Interference?” Sunset asked.

“We Discords love watching chaos unfold, and nothing is more amusing than watching a pony interfere with time, dueling an alicorn in the past. Some, such as myself, were more surprised by the third pony, entering through some strange mirror, getting trapped in a different present. Looking into you, watching you unfold in these similar worlds, a few of us could not help but watch you instead. And solely for myself, I wished to be part of your adventure. Inserting myself into your story, I blabbed, and of course the Discord of this world found he could too. Unfortunately, while I wish to help, he wishes to hinder.”

“So, you just wanted to tag along all this time?” Sunset felt she understood.

He took a moment and hung his head. “A mistake of mine. Had I never thought of the idea of intruding, nor blabbed about doing so, the Discord of this world never would have stopped you. Going into the past of this world, changing how things occurred, they are all my fault.”

Celestia and Luna hushed their voices, speaking only to each other. Sunset paid them no mind, however. Her thoughts filled in the blanks of the last world, pieces she missed and misguided assumptions. “That’s why you told me the last world wasn’t your world. You were borrowing it. You invaded it when it was only a stopping point for me.”

“If not for me, I am unsure how the last world and this would have gone,” Discord said with a heavy heart.

“How very dignified of you, Discord,” Cadance complimented. “You’re nothing like the tales I’ve heard from Celestia.”

A sudden embarrassed flush rushed over Celestia’s white cheeks. “Well, to be fair, I was speaking of this world’s Discord. Certainly not this one. Most certainly not.”

Sunset shrugged. “I’m not going to blame you, Discord.”

“And your mercy is exactly why I believe in you, Sunset Shimmer,” Discord replied.

“And we have decided in aiding you, Sunset,” Celestia broke her secret conversation with Luna. “To hear this world is under the mysterious control of Discord only to stop you, it’s not fair. Not to us, and definitely not to the citizens of Equestria. Too long have I believed their lives are their own, their destinies left to fate. Now I have seen that it was only Discord guiding Equestria.”

Both Luna and Cadance bowed in agreement. “You are a strange creature, Discord,” Luna spoke directly to Sunset’s Discord. “And though I have much mistrust, over a thousand years ago you let chaos reign, regardless of world, I still agree with my sister’s sentiment. If you are helping Sunset Shimmer, you are an ally just as much as she is.”

“I suppose pessimism can only go so far.” Cadance tilted her body closer to Celestia. “If you fail, the worst that can happen is you’ll be trapped here. If you succeed, it’ll benefit everypony. I don’t see a reason not to help you. Though I am unsure what we can do.”

“I need you to lie, or to feign believing a lie,” Sunset answered. “If anyone asks, especially Flim and Flam, I am here to help the world. You three must not tell anyone of my secret plan to dethrone you.”

Celestia bowed her head. “We will not, and we will announce to Princessland of your arrival, accepting you as our fourth princess. That should aid in the lie that we suspect nothing of your artificial betrayal.”

“Thank you.” Sunset too inclined her head in a bow. “I need time to return to Ponyville and find the location of all the bearers.”

“Another train ride? Oh goodie. You could have done that earlier,” noted Discord, rolling his eyes in annoyance. He then zoomed like a ribbon in the wind into her backpack, merging himself seamlessly.

“Good fortune to you, Princess Sunset Shimmer,” Luna called, the trio waving goodbye. “Do feel free to return whenever you so desire. It has been a delight!”

“Don’t be a stranger! Again!” Celestia also yelled, her voice could only be described as happy.

Step one complete, Sunset thought as she maneuvered out the way she had entered, stepping into the darkness of the night. “I got enough sleep on the train,” she said to herself, yawning. “But I could always use more. Hopefully I’ll be lucky enough to commandeer another heading back to—” she paused, gawking at the group of ponies who gathered around the gate she had passed over. “What in the world?”

Flashes of lights bombarded her body, and would have blinded her too were she closer. “Princess! New princess!” the crowd was roaring above the camera snaps. “We love you!”

“Word travels fast,” her backpack murmured.

“No way will a crowd this size let me pass and board unscathed,” Sunset whispered her response. “So much for a second nap. Good thing the map area is pretty empty. I’ll just teleport there.” With her mind focusing on one of the few locations she knew would be clear of ponies, she sparked her own flash of light and disappeared from Princessland.

The grass and soil beneath her hooves felt dry and jagged, just as it had from her landing. The moonlit world was clouded in Ponyville, Sunset could barely tell the map sat in front of her. Lifting her front legs up, she was blinded by a different light than the flashes of cameras. The hologram beamed with six cutie marks, painting the colors against her fur. “Shall I make a bed for you atop the table?” Discord chuckled and her straps tugged.

“I’m not that tired,” she replied, lying. “Look at these locations. They’re all scattered. Twilight’s in the Crystal Empire, Applejack’s in some wooded area just southwest of there, Rarity’s in Canterlot… I mean Princessland.” She shook her head, grunting to herself. “Rainbow Dash is in Cloudsdale. At least I won’t need a spell to walk on clouds, being an alicorn after all. Fluttershy is in Manehattan. Not sure why she’d be there in this timeline. At least Pinkie Pie is…” She shut her mouth, a sudden chill ran up her spine.

A crackling noise echoed as the dry grass crunched. Crinkling beneath hooves, the huffing of heavy breathing followed as somepony drew closer. Sunset turned to stare at the unknown pony, waiting for them to draw nearer the light of the map.

As if avoiding the light, the pony stopped just short, their color and figure shadowed. “Hey there, friend. Are you her?” The voice was feminine, and low, as if the figure tried to sound different than their usual tone. “Are you Sunset Shimmer?”

Unsure of who the mare was, Sunset answered honestly, fearing the worst possible reaction if she lied. “I am indeed Princess Sunset Shimmer,” she replied with authority in her words.

“They warned me about you. Said you were evil. Said you’d destroy us all. I’m here to stop you.”

Stepping backward, Sunset’s rump hit the table, feeling suddenly very vulnerable. “And how do you plan on doing that?” she continued to speak with authority, yet it wavered, a crack to her voice. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to focus on the darkness, but the mare came closer. Just as she started to enter the light and Sunset could see the flat mane covering half their face, the light of the map went out.

Thrusting herself bipedal, Sunset slammed both front hooves awkwardly at her sides, holding the table and relighting the map.

Closer than ever, the glow revealed the other half of the mane-covered face. Holding the creepiest smile Sunset had ever seen, it beat the needle teeth Queen Chrysalis once bared at her.

“You’re… You’re Pinkie Pie.”

Blowing up like a balloon, the pink pony gasped in delight. Her hair shot up from the straightness it held, exploding in fluff. “You know who I am too!? Wowie! When they told me how amazing I am, I thought they were just inflating my ego, but if the biggest villain Equestria has ever seen knows who I am, well, I guess they were right all alone!” Hopping to a standing position, her forelegs thrust in between the bipedal Sunset, their muzzles almost touched. “How lucky you are to meet your defeat to such a well-known pony as me!”

With a brow raised, Sunset asked, “And, I’ll ask again Pinkie Pie, how is it you plan on defeating me?”

“I don’t know!” she replied cheerfully.

Intrigued, Sunset asked, “Who told you I’d be here? Who told you I was evil?”

“The Flim Flam Brothers, of course! They said you were here to take over Equestria and destroy the princesses!”

“Th-that’s right!” Sunset swung a hoof, goofily smiling and breaking their awkward, bipedal stance. “You got me! Big bad villain! I’ve already convinced them to like me, too! They believe I’m their friend,” she fulfilled the lie, falling to all fours.

Pinkie Pie let out a gasp. “You’re quick! How could I ever hope to defeat someone so quick at making friends?” She fell to her rump, abruptly lost in thought. It took only a moment though, the mare leapt up in triumph. “I know! I’ll be your friend until all the evil in you is gone! Nobody can resist friendship!”

Does that mean she’ll stop being my friend once I renounce my feigned villainous ways? Sunset wondered, giggling to herself. “So you think it’ll be that simple, huh? Then I guess you’re stuck with me!” This is going surprisingly easy.

Pressing her hooves to her cheeks, Pinkie Pie almost choked on another gasp. “Wowzers! I’ve got a real live friend! And they don’t want to run away screaming… yet! How remarkably opposite to everypony else! The Flim Flam Brothers were right! You really are strange!”

Did she just insult herself and me? “Yes, and I am strange enough to tell you all about my secret, evil plan now that we are, uh, friends.”

“This is going swimmingly! I can’t wait to report back and tell them what I’ve learned!”

Sunset leaned on the pink pony. The glowing cutie marks reflected perfectly in the mare’s eyes, only rippled by the blue of her irises. “Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Friends keep each other’s secrets, right?”

Holding an open-mouthed smile, Pinkie Pie stared blankly. It was as though the gears in her head ceased to move; like a computer being introduced to a two when it only dealt with ones and zeros. Pinkie took so long to make any movement that Sunset began to wonder if time froze. I didn’t expect her to take it as a paradox.

“Okay!” the new pal eventually replied, as though she hadn’t skipped a beat in her response.

“Uh, okay?”

“Absolutely! I knew that all along! I wouldn’t have been able to befriend you so quick if I wasn’t amazing at all things friendship!” she answered, snorting and giggling.

“You’re the oddest Pinkie Pie I’ve ever met,” Sunset noted, only to realize she said it aloud.

“Really? You’re the only Princess Sunset Shimmer I’ve ever met.” The way she spoke held no ringing of satire. She wasn’t joking, Sunset understood. Pinkie Pie really was stating she’d never met another Princess Sunset Shimmer. “Now that we’re friends, do you want to come over to my place and hang out? That’s something friends do, right?”

The light of the table dissipated, leaving the two in darkness. “Sure, Pinkie.” Her horn lit dimly. “Lead the way.”

Hopping with joy, Pinkie skipped along past the stumps. She was neither fast nor slow, keeping pace with Sunset without even glancing back at the alicorn. When they reached the rustic abodes of Ponyville, she noticed the bleak light emanating from each of the shuttered windows. Candlelight flickered hesitantly from the homes, no streetlamps were lit. Pinkie led her to a dark, cracked place where the pink and cyan sign read Sugarcube Corner, though the ‘er‘ had faded, leaving only Sugarcube Corn. Inside, Pinkie lit a few candles, allowing Sunset to cease her magic.

“It’s a store. Who works here?” Sunset asked.

“Me. I do!” Pinkie Pie trotted up the stairs to the left of the counter, holding a candle stick in her hair. “It was being vacated by the last owners who were heading to Princessland. They offered it to me for free and I was all like, wowie, there’s nothing better than free. Then I was told I had to tend the counter and pay taxes. I was super lucky. How many other ponies get to pay taxes?” She stopped at the top step. “Though I still don’t know what taxes are. Everypony always just groans or runs away when I ask.”

In a bedroom, Pinkie Pie stopped at the center. Upon entering, Sunset grimaced. The wallpaper sagged at the top, the shutters were bolted closed, and Pinkie stood on a moth eaten rug. “Welcome to my bedroom!” There was no bed. “I’ve never had a friend in my bedroom before. Unless my sisters count as friends. I haven’t spoken to them in a while, though. Not for the lack of trying, mind you. The mailing service hasn’t been running well since our postal department went down, which is pretty funny considering it was also our water services that caused its closure. Now both water and mail are unavailable!”

Sunset squinted. “Why would Ponyville’s water department cause the mail to stop running?”

“Well, water and paper don’t mix unless you’re making papier-mâché! I’m sure I’ve got a joke written down somewhere for just such a moment. Wanna to see it?”

Debating only took a second for Sunset. “Sure. Why not.” Hey, if she likes jokes, getting her the Element of Laughter will be a cake walk.

Lifting the shabby rug exposed a hole bursting with papers where Pinkie dug through, scattering sheets across the floor. “Here it is!” she bellowed, lifting a page into the air. Drawn in crayon, the entire paper stretched with the color blue. Pinkie Pie held a gaping smile, waiting for Sunset to laugh.

Of course, Sunset remained stone-faced, even if she hadn’t meant to. “Wat-er clever joke,” Sunset politely punned, causing a giddy uproar from Pinkie Pie.

Placing the paper back into the hole with the others, Pinkie then replaced the rug and stood exactly where the hole sat. “I should offer you some food and drink! That’s a thing good hosts and friends do!” Rushing out of the room, Sunset remained in the bedless bedroom.

I thought she was about to cry there for a second, she imagined, remembering another Pinkie Pie who invited Sunset into her home. Memory… With her magic, she lifted out a book from her backpack. Flipping through the newer journal, she landed on the last world’s page, which sat only a few pages into the start of the book. I didn’t write that, she realized upon examining the world’s title. It read as Unending Chaos, however, the ‘un’ was scratched over, changing it to Ending Chaos. “Discord…” she whispered, but the draconequus didn’t respond.

Drawing a pen from her bag, she wrote Princessland into the next page, though there was nothing more to add. Glancing at the back of the book, she realized there were many more pages to fill. “Why was my dream telling me to fill this thing? I filled up my friendship journal by talking to both Celestia and Twilight. This would take me years,” she whispered to herself, rolling the pen weightlessly in the air.

She wrote her findings of Princessland like descriptions and statistical information. Pausing, she flipped a few pages back. Most of the words written, whether from The Crystal War, Resistance, or Nightmare’s Night timelines, all read like droll textbooks. It wasn’t until she read the Community’s words, the signatures and encouragements, that she realized her mistake. For a moment, she swore she had scratched out the signature from Sombra, yet it remained uncovered.

There’s no one more impressive than Sunset Shimmer. No one more talented. No one else I’d like to be with more. She shimmers the sun that is my heart.

Refusing tears, she moved back to the blank pages. Rewriting The Crystal War, she moved ten pages ahead, then wrote Resistance. She did this for each world. The first few pages would remain as descriptions or facts or interesting notes. The rest was for her. A journal of the good.

She flipped to the Nightmare’s Night pages and wrote down the lovely day with Pinkie Pie. It stuck out in her mind. The interesting restaurants, the speech she gave, the cute chunky pink mare who only wanted to make ponies happy. It didn’t matter if she wrote it in a straight line or if the book was even the right way. She would fill the pages for each timeline, just as the dream suggested.

“Oh! You’re a fan of paper too?” Pinkie Pie gawked, surprising Sunset. The mare held a rusty tray with a glass of murky brown water and some cookies atop. “I collect them, you know! If you ever need some, whether with words or not, feel free to ask! Nobody else cares unless they’re about the princesses.”

Lifting the tray with her magic, Sunset set it on the ground. She then rushed to Pinkie and wrapped her in a hug. “You’re going to make my plan so, so difficult, you know that?”

“Wow! A hug! Does this mean you’re giving up your villainous ways? Only a day in and my friendship is already wearing you down! I knew you had it in you!” Pinkie replied, squirming in the hug. “We really are great friends, aren’t we?”

“Oh, Pinkie. Never change.” They uncoupled, and Sunset returned the book to her backpack.

“I’m not even sure what I would change into, but if you say so!” Pinkie wobbled over to the tray, eyeing the ugly water before lifting it up. “Maybe it’s my amazing hosting skills that have changed your ways? Who knew I’d be amazing at throwing parties still? Though this is a very small party. And there are no balloons. I’m such a good friend that I don’t even need balloons anymore! What a wonderful revelation!”

Sunset shook her head, still smiling. “You mind if I spend the night? Sleeping’s been a rare commodity lately. I had to sleep on the train to Princessland.”

Clapping her hooves together, Pinkie exploded in whinnies. “A sleepover!?” Running out the door, she yelled, “Come on!” Leaving behind the tray of cookies, Sunset followed down the steps. Rounding the counter, she noted Pinkie Pie in the kitchen, still holding the glass of water without a drop spilled. “We can share the bed just like I used to do with my sisters!”

Opening the oven, a blowup mattress unfolded along with stilts and slats. In just under a second the bed filled the space between the counters, complete with pillows and comforters.

“Why do you sleep in the kitchen?” Sunset asked, wary of a trick.

“I don’t know!” Pinkie happily answered before hopping onto the bed.

Sliding off the backpack and setting it on the counter, Sunset carefully climbed onto the inflated mattress. “Hey, Pinkie. I’m planning on traveling tomorrow. Are you going to be alright to travel with me, or are you just going to stay here?”

“Well, I was told to pal around with you until you became a good person. Are you a good person?”

Yes. “No.”

“Then I’ll have to help you try a little harder! Where you go, I go!” Pinkie replied. “Unless it’s somewhere that I can’t go, like the sky. Believe it or not, I cannot fly.”

“Wow. Really?” Sunset snarked, giggling as she rested her head beside Pinkie.

“Really! I’m surprised you didn’t know that about me. I guess this friendship will have to take some more work.” Pinkie shrugged. “Alright, goodnight, Princess Sunset Shimmer!” Clapping her hooves together, the candles did not darken, forcing Sunset to utilize her magic in extinguishing the flames.

Pulling the blanket to her chin, Sunset said, “Just call me Sunset, Pinkie.” But the pink pony already began to snore, her forelegs splayed out in both directions. Sighing, Sunset pulled the blanket over her muzzle and closed her tired eyes. What a day. The sheet felt nice against her fur, and the blanket tucked around her body smoothly, creasing in the pocket of her back. Way better than sleeping in dirt. Her eyes closed, but a sudden pain shot through her brain. She knew sleep would have to wait. Memories. A scrapbook. With a very dim light emanating from her horn, she drew the newer journal and pen from her backpack.

Ending Chaos. A clearer picture of the world remained in her mind as it was the closest in memory. She tried to reflect on all the happiness she could of the world, though despair clouded thoughts. Cheating Pinkie Pie in that eating contest. That was fun. And I’ve got to make a full page—no, two—all about Shimmering Justice.

Sunset worked hard but knew when to quit too, eventually finding the patience to simmer her writing and fall into a slumber. Somehow, she expected the lucidity that often came with her dreams. Her nose muddled the smells, she could almost breathe in the scent of golden flowers. Wind called her, beckoning her to enter the darkened land she grew accustomed to meeting. Yet it passed. She awoke. It was peaceful, yet confusing. The smell lingered as her eyes opened.

Stretching, the cover fell from her shoulders. Her sleepy eyes rolled over the bed and room, finding no pink pony. With a yawn, she called out, “Pinkie Pie? What time is it?”

And the mare answered back, “Noon! Lunch time! My favorite time! Of course, dinner and breakfast are also my favorites. As I always tell my sisters, you can’t have enough favorites! They’re all my favorite sisters! Especially Maud, Limestone, and Marble! They’re my favorite favorites! They’re also my only sisters!”

Noon? Sunset let out another yawn. She wasn’t in a rush, and she realized it. Been a while since I haven’t cared about getting to where I’m going. Discord’s world made me too anxious to wait around in one place for long. This? She stretched like a cat, arching her back and lifting her rump, only for the blowup mattress to sag too much and send her face forward onto the comfy blanket. Bliss!

“Pinkie, are you ready to head off?” Sunset muffledly asked, knowing she was the one who wasn’t.

“I am ready for anything. I am always prepared! I think…”

Rolling to the edge, Sunset hobbled off the bed and dragged her backpack out of the room. Pinkie Pie sat at the counter, staring at the door. “What are you doing?”

“Waiting,” Pinkie replied. “Maybe somepony will come in and order something today!”

“When was the last time you had a customer?”

Pinkie’s head swiveled to face Sunset, followed by two quick blinks. For a second, Sunset believed she hurt the pink pony, but Pinkie replied, “Customer? Why would I have customers?”

“Because you said ponies come in and order things? They’re customers.”

“Oh. Nopony has ever been in here to order anything, though.”

“Then, why do—” Sunset rolled her eyes, placing her face in her hoof. It’s Pinkie Pie. Why does she do anything she does? “Alright. Well, since you’re ready we should be off.”

Pinkie widened her smile. “Where are we going?” she said in a high inflection.

“North. I’m certain the Flim Flam Brothers have gone to Princessland after hearing the commotion of a new princess, so I’d like to stay away from them for now. Getting Twilight is my goal, but stopping and grabbing Applejack first will make things go smoother.” Though if every bearer is like Pinkie, it may be hard to convince them to come along. Some may actually believe I am evil with all their heart, which helps my plan, but doesn’t help in gathering them up. Sunset trotted to the door.

“I don’t know anything about what you’re saying. I like it! Are they going to be friends with us too?” Pinkie asked, following behind.

“That’s what I’m hoping.” The outside smelled of wood shavings and ash, as if someone was burning wiring. Sunset ignored it until it grew stronger the closer they went toward the train station.

A fire within a returning train’s engine melted the iron and put the whole yard on hold. Guards were rushing in every direction while spectators looked upon the fiery spectacle in disbelief. Sunset and Pinkie bumped their way to the front, pushing past a guard. He started to yell just before Sunset whipped her magic around the train’s engine and brushed the fire into smoldering ash.

“You’re that princess! How did you get back here to Ponyville? You weren’t on the train!” It was the same stallion she encountered the previous day, though now black smoke coated his forehead and ran down his muzzle.

“I’m a princess. I have my ways,” she vaguely replied with an assured beam. “I need to go north, to the Crystal Empire. I don’t suppose this is not the train that goes there, is it?”

He shook his head. “No. We don’t have any trains that go there. Why would we? Princessland is the only place to go!” he said, chuckling and coughing up smoke. “I suppose we could procure you a ride, if you’d like.”

Glancing around, Sunset saw everything she needed. “No, that’ll be okay. You don’t mind if I use some of the extra tools around here, do you?”

“Well, they're not really mine to give, but you’re a princess so I can’t say no. I’m legally bound to serve you.” When he chuckled again, spit escaped his mouth and ran some of the black down his chin. Sunset held an unkind, wide-eyed smile and turned away from the sight.

Most of the spectators only stayed around to gawk at Sunset, though she paid them no mind. Pinkie skipped behind her, following along as Sunset gathered the pieces she needed. When Sunset climbed down onto the tracks, Pinkie watched from the platform with the other citizens. Putting four train wheels onto the metal lanes of the track, Sunset tightened planks of wood to the wheels with her magic. It’d be an uncomfortable ride, but she knew teleporting so far to the unfamiliar north would be out of the question.

I suppose we could have just walked, she thought, snapping the wood into place. Or I could have flown, but carrying Pinkie Pie would’ve been too much for that distance. Turning back to the platform, Sunset levitated Pinkie, who giggled with glee, into the makeshift cart. Flapping her wings, Sunset got beside the mare and used her magic to move the wheels. The crowd began to roar and cheer at the small, intriguing achievement as they watched the two trail off on the tracks.

The improper connections hindered Sunset slightly, just enough to keep her magical focus on the cart. Slowly but surely building up the speed required, they hit the outskirts of Ponyville and trailed north. “Great guacamole! You really know how to treat a pal! Here I thought we were walking to wherever we were going, just like how I got to Ponyville. We’ll be there in no time! Are we going to meet more princesses, too?” Pinkie raved, rocking back and forth in the rickety cart.

“It’s hard to focus on anything other than my magic, Pinkie. We’re heading for the Crystal Empire. Try not to break my concentration till we get there.”

“Oh okay.” Pinkie went silent and remained that way for a full minute. “What’s in the Crystal Empire? Crystals? Are we going to get crystals? I heard that crystals are like rocks except not as good for building because when the crystals break they shattered into pieces like glass and that’s really not cool if you think about it.” She then went silent again. “My sisters started rock collections. I started a paper collection. Hey! You should start a scissor collection!”

“Pinkie. Please.”

Covering her mouth, Pinkie replied, “Sorry!” She then turned away. For a while, Sunset believed she would have peace. “We should play a game! I spy! Oh! Oh! I spy something green!”

They entered a great forest that coated both sides of land around the train tracks. The sounds of the unsteady cart must’ve driven any animals away, leaving only tall logs of strong bark and needles of pine or leaves of spruce. Tall grass surrounded every root and trunk, flowers of lavender, cyan, and hazel accompanying the sward. Sunset, with her ultimate wisdom, replied, “Is it trees?”

“Nope!”

“The grass?”

“Wow! Second try! Good guessing! Your turn!”

“I see a pony who is breaking my concentration,” Sunset tasked, knowing the answer would be easy.

Gasping, Pinkie gawked at the world, spinning wildly in both directions. To Sunset’s surprise, Pinkie studied the world for over an hour in silence, trying to find the concentration-breaking pony. Eventually, she did give up. “Well, shoot. You’re a champion at this, Princess Sunset Shimmer! I really can’t find a pony breaking your concentration!”

With a hefty sigh and a roll of her eyes, Sunset replied, “That’s because she’s right in—”

Before Sunset could finish her sentence, an explosion erupted on the track in front of them. Though not of fire or debris, whatever rocked the world emitted smoke, shrouding the rail. Startled by the sound and sight, Sunset’s magical grip slipped and fell, sending the wheels careening off into different directions. The wooden planks slapped together were ripped apart, sending both Sunset and Pinkie skidding on what was left. Following the bumpy ride along the tracks and emerging into the smoky land, Sunset rubbed her head, squinting.

The sounds of screaming echoed, and suddenly a pony erupted through the haze. In a gasmask and overalls, the pony tackled Sunset, sending them both to the ground. Putting her hooves up, she could feel the attacker trying to snag at her backpack straps. Another pony, this one accompanying the same attire, came to aid the first in the theft.

Sunset’s worry shot to Pinkie, though she couldn’t see the mare in the smoke.

Anger rushing her senses, fueled by adrenaline, Sunset burst with magic screaming in her voice. A beam erupted from her horn, knocking her assailants to the ground and clearing the smoke with one fell swoop. She was on her hooves in a second, watching as five others tore off for the tree line. The two that came for her were already on their hooves, debating whether or not to try another assault. Sunset convinced them not to. With a slicing beam, she struck the straps off of one of the thugs, literally catching them with their pants down. As the other ran off, the first hobbled out of their overalls, revealing their cutie mark. Three red apples?

Huffing and puffing, Sunset felt herself exhausted. The long ride left her with little magic, and the angered outburst took whatever remained. She glanced around, calling out for her traveling companion, “Pinkie? Pinkie Pie!”

Amongst the wooden wreckage of boards and dirt, the pink mane popped out. “Golly gosh! Princess Sunset Shimmer, was that the pony interrupting your concentration?” asked Pinkie, earning a terribly exaggerated groan from the alicorn.

PreviousChapters Next