• Published 15th Jan 2017
  • 628 Views, 4 Comments

Shadows in the night - ScytheSasin



In light of the recent magical anomalies in the human world, Princess Celestia decides to send a pony over in order to protect Equestria and the students of Canterlot High.

  • ...
 4
 628

Book 1: Chapter 2 SURPRISE!

Author's Note:

Please read this. It will tell you my plans for this story.

After a few more games of Exploding Kittens, in which Shade lost every single one. The group decided to head over to Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie had run on ahead, muttering something about a party. Shade groans as the rest of the group laughs.

“Why are you so adverse to a party?” Rarity asks. Shade sighs.

“Once you’ve done and seen the things I have,” Shade starts, looking off into the distance. “It makes it really hard to stay positive.” He shakes his head. “Some shadows will always follow me.” His dull eyes scan over his companions. “But you don’t need to worry about my problems. I’ll deal with my demons on my own time.” Shade walks on slightly ahead of the group. Applejack begins to move up to comfort him when a hand on her shoulder holds her back. The country girl looks back to see Sunset shaking her head.

“Trust me AJ, it’s best if we stay out of it.” Sunset says.

“Why?” Applejack asks.

“Because until he tells us his past, we have no right to press.” Sci-Twi says suddenly. Sunset nods. Applejack sighs but nods. Sunset smiles as she catches up to Shade.

“Sugarcube Corner is just up ahead.” Sunset says. Shade nods. “I must warn you. Pinkie’s parties can be a bit..”

“Overboard?” Shade offers. Sunset nods. “Thanks for the warning.”

“No problem, us Equestrians need to stick together.” Sunset says, hitting his shoulder. Shade nods in agreement.

“Fair enough.” He says. The group walks in silence, well, Shade did while the girls talked amongst themselves. Suddenly Rarity speaks up.

“Shade, Princess Twilight had told us our distinct emblems on our clothes was a mark that signifies our special talent in Equestria. Might I ask what you're means?” The girl asks. Shade nods.

“Blade and melee combat proficiency.” Shade says. “Which was why I was chosen for this mission, my talent is attack oriented. Unlike most of the other Guard’s talents, which mainly lean towards shielding and defense.” The male stops and stares at the setting sun. “Equestria has no use for attack based talents.”

“Why is that dear?” Rarity asks.

“Equestria is extremely peaceful, there isn't even a military.” The guard says. “There isn't even political tensions. The only species that harbors ill intent is the Changelings. Saddle Arabia has had issues of terrorist cells but it hasn't spread.” Shade stops for a second. “That's partially because of the Headhunters.”

“Headhunters?” Sunset asks, “I don't recall a name like that.”

“I'm not surprised, it's an elite, covert unit comprised entirely of attack based talents. Princess Celestia directly gives them missions and allied countries ask for their aid. However, there cannot be any ties to any nation in the unit, so they are all alone. They mostly handle suicide missions, hardly anyone lives to see another mission after their first.” A deafening silence echoes throughout the group.

“How do you know that?” Sunset whispers. Shade looks to her.

“They're the reason I was recruited, after basic I was going to join their ranks.” He says. Seeing the shocked faces around him, he sighs. “The world isn't very accepting to those with talents like mine. They view it as anti-peaceful. So all Headhunters decided to use their talents only once, to protect peace, even if we have to look like criminals to do it. I was scheduled to finish basic in three days, and have my first mission two days later. All missions are two man or solo operations, so the world wouldn't miss us when we died.” That's when Shade stops talking and starts walking again. Only Sunset heard him whisper, “Not that anyone would miss me in the first place.”

The rest of the walk was in an eerie silence. The girls were still processing what Shade said and Shade himself was giving them time to cope. When they turned onto Sugarcube Corner’s street, the girls were talking amongst themselves again. Most of them would steal small glances at Shade, the only exceptions being Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Sunset. All three knew that Shade would appreciate them not trying to examine him with their minds, or to figure out his past based off his body language. (Fluttershy was surprisingly good at that.) Sunset grins at the darkened windows of the Corner.

“Shade, may I present Sugarcube Corner!” Sunset says, as her friends make their way inside. The male eyes the darkened inside warily.

“Great, surprises.” He sighs while Sunset laughs.

“It isn't as bad as you think. Pinkie is just trying to be nice.” Sunset smirks.

“I know, I'm just not used to people being nice to me.” Shade replies.

“You've caught on to our mannerism, grammar, and how to use that body surprisingly fast.” Sunset notes. Shade shrugs.

“I guess it has to do with my talent, blade and melee requires very agile and fluid movements, so I guess I adapted to the body pretty quickly,” He says. “I was a Pegasus so I didn't rely on magic and I can feel the power in my legs built for speed. I learn quick on grammar because I don't talk and just listen.” Sunset nods.

“Well, let's head inside then.” She quips. Shade nods. He enters Sugarcube Corner after Sunset. He makes it about halfway into the room when the lights flip on.

“SURPRISE!” A mass of people shout, Shade winces as the volume attack his ears. Sunset was smirking as he rubs his ear. Party accessories were everywhere, and Pinkie was standing behind…

“Is that a cannon?” Shade asks. Pinkie nods excitedly before firing it off, streamers and other assortments flying from the barrel. “That is officially the strangest thing I've seen.” Sci-Twi laughs.

“That's Pinkie being Pinkie.” She says, adjusting her glasses. Shade nods, grabbing a glass of punch. “I wouldn’t drink that.” The male raises an eyebrow at that while he takes a swig.

“You’re talking about the hot sauce, right?” He asks after he puts down the cup. Sci-Twi nods. “I like it, adds a kick.” Sci-Twi grins and Shade just stays back and watches the party.

“SHADE!” Pinkie shouts. The pink haired girl appears from seemingly nowhere. “How’s the party? Fun right?” Shade smiles and nods.

“Another brilliant party Pinkie Pie.” A voice says from behind Shade.

“Principal Celestia!” Pinkie shouts. Shade turns to see a tall woman with an uncanny resemblance to Princess Celestia. “Thanks! Principal, this is Shade Bladedancer! Princess Twilight sent him!” The human Celestia looks at him.

“Ah yes, Sunset told me earlier that Princess Twilight would be sending someone over. Welcome to our world Shade.” Celestia says. Shade nods.

“Pleased to be here Ma’am.” He replies. “I assume you’re the one I must speak to concerning the matter of my enrollment?” Celestia nods.

“Yes, however we will discuss that tomorrow.” Celestia says. Shade nods.

“Very well then.” He says. Celestia smiles and moves off to join her sister. Shade nods to Pinkie and she grins. Pinkie bounces away while
Shade chuckles. After a while, the party dies out. All that remain is the main 7 and Shade.

“Thanks for helping clean up everyone!” Pinkie says. Shade nods.

“Shade, where are you going to sleep?” Fluttershy asks. The male shrugs.

“I got a tent. I’ll figure something out.” He says. “I don’t have money to afford an inn.”

“Just come stay with me.” Sunset says. “I got a spare room and some sheets.”

“I don’t want to intrude Sunset.” Shade responds.

“You won’t! Now ONWARDS!” Sunset suddenly shouts, grabbing Shade’s arm and dragging him after her.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment