• Published 15th Jan 2017
  • 625 Views, 4 Comments

Shadows in the night - ScytheSasin



In light of the recent magical anomalies in the human world, Princess Celestia decides to send a pony over in order to protect Equestria and the students of Canterlot High.

  • ...
 4
 625

Prologue: A Series of Unfortunate Events

"...Sunset and her friends saved Camp Everfree and retained their newfound powers."

Princess Celestia sighs as she reads Twilight Sparkle's latest letter about Sunset's adventures.

“What tis it sister?” A voice sounds from behind her. The Princess of the Sun turns to find her counterpart and younger sister, Princess Luna.

“Twilight’s recent letter about Sunset Shimmer’s adventures.” Celestia replies. “I’m worried that something may happen to them, something they may not be able to handle.”

“Why not send somepony then? Twilight Sparkle perhaps?” Luna says, walking up to stand by her sister.

“Twilight has duties to attend to, besides, as much as it pains me to admit it, we need somepony who won’t hesitate to finish the job.” Celestia says

“You want someone who can kill?” Luna asks. Celestia winces, but nods. “Then we should send Shining Armor.”

“I will not separate him from Cadence.” Celestia says. Luna nods.

“Then ask for his suggestion.” Luna retorts. Celestia nods and her horn lights up in a golden sheen as a quill and paper appear. Celestia and Luna lie down as the elder sister begins to write.

Three days later.

Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Twilight wait in the throne room. Shining Armor had returned to Canterlot briefly to review every member of the Royal Guard and the Night Guard before returning to the Crystal Empire to review the members of the Crystal Guard. Shining Armor had singled out two, one was an Earth Pony by the name of Rouge Stockjaw, Rouge had declined, stating that he couldn’t leave his family. The three Princess understood completely. The second was a Pegasus by the name of Shade Bladedancer. A knock from the door catches the three Princess’s attention.

“Come in.” Celestia calls. The guardpony stationed outside the throne room enters.

“Your Majesties, may I introduce Shade Bladedancer, recruit of the Crystal Guard!” The Guardpony announces. Celestia nods as a forest green Pegasus with a dark gray mane and tail walks in. His eyes are a dull green, almost lifeless. The only light color was his cutie mark, a crossed sword and scythe, both a metallic silver. Shade walks forwards and then bows.

“Shade Bladedancer reporting in Your Majesties.” The Pegasus says.

“Rise My Little Pony.” Celestia smiles. Shade does so. “Shade Bladedancer, do you know why we summoned you?”

“No ma’am.” Shade replies. “But I must assume it involves a mission, although I don’t know why you’d choose somepony as insignificant as me to do so.”

“It has to do with your ability to kill.” Luna bluntly states. Everypony but the Princess of the Moon winces. Shade’s mane shades over his eyes.

“I kill one pony in self defense and everyone thinks I’m either a cold-blooded murder or a battle-hardened soldier.” He mutters. Shade then sighs, looking up at the Princesses. “What’s the mission?” The three Princesses look to each other.

“Twilight, if you’d please?” Celestia asks, her former student nods.

“Shade, since you are in the Crystal Guard, I’d assume you know what happened when Sunset Shimmer stole my crown?” Twilight asks, the Pegasus nods. “Well, in Sunset’s new world, she and her friends have certain magical abilities. Princess Celestia fears that the wrong people, err, ponies may try to obtain those powers and attack Equestria. We want you to, um…” Twilight trails off as she notices Shade’s lifeless gaze on her.

“So you want me to cross through the portal and protect it and any non-hostiles? With lethal force if necessary?” Shade asks. Twilight nods. “Alright, sure, why not?”

“But what of your family?” Twilight asks, as the two Royal Sisters look to each other.

“Ain’t got one. Orphaned, never met ‘em.” Shade shrugs. “When do I start?”

“Well, I have to contact Sunset, but we’ll know soon enough.” Twilight muses as she turns to her two fellow Princess. “Shall we return to my castle?”

“Let us. Shade, will you come with us?” Celestia asks, smiling as Luna and Twilight begin talking to each other as the walk out, bright smiles on both of their faces.

“I got nothing better to do.” Shade grunts. “I just need to fly over to the Crystal Empire to get my gear. I may not be able to make a sonic rainboom, but I’m a decently fast flyer. I’ll be back in a hour or two if that’s alright Princess?” Celestia nods.

“Very well, safe travels, we will meet in the Castle of Friendship.” Celestia says, leading Shade to the nearby balcony. Shade bows once again before taking off in a green blur. Celestia chuckles. “Acts like Rainbow Dash.”



One hour later.

Shade flaps his wings one last time as he lands, he nods to the few guards of the Castle of Friendship. Showing them his ID, he walks in as Twilight exits the throne room.

“Princess Twilight.” Shade says as he bows.

“No need to bow Shade.’ Twilight smiles. Shade nods. His dulls gray eyes gain a slight light to them.

“What’s the status on the mission? Am I cleared to cross?” Shade asks.

“I wrote to Sunset, I should get a reply soon.” Twilight says. Shade nods.

“Is there a room in which I can rest for a bit?” Shade asks, Twilight cocks an eyebrow. “I haven’t slept in a couple days.” Twilight chuckles and directs him over to a couch where Shade passes out on. Twilight chuckles as Luna walks in. The Princess of the Night drapes a wing over Twilight as the Princess of Friendship nuzzles into Luna’s neck.

“I worry for him Luna.” Twilight says as the two walk out.

“Why is that dearest?” Luna asks. Twilight looks to her.

“His eyes are lifeless, Luna. I fear that whatever happened when he was younger haunts him. He said that he’s killed once, maybe it had a stronger impact on him than he lets off.” Twilight says. Luna nods. “Let’s hope that Sunset and her friends might do something about it.



In the human world.

Sunset sighs as her friends frantically talk between themselves. She had just brought up the fact that some people might want to use them for their magic. She was about to suggest to ask Princess Twilight for help when her book starts vibrating. Opening it, she reads the quick message from Princess Twilight.

“Uh, girls?” Sunset says. “Looks like Princess Twilight thought of the same thing. She wants to send someone from Equestria to defend the portal the school.”

“What are you waiting for then, Darling?” Rarity asks, “Tall her to send them on over!” Sunset rolls her eyes and smiles, grabbing a pencil and writing back to Princess Twilight.