• Published 4th Dec 2016
  • 11,478 Views, 755 Comments

Dear Small Pony Book - Carapace



Princess Cadence and Prince-Captain Shining Armor have given Thorax a journal to document his days in the Crystal Empire so they can help him learn from his experiences. This can only go well.

  • ...
21
 755
 11,478

5. Princess Luna's Stars Do Not Swirl

Dear Small Pony Book,

I hope you weren’t too upset that my last entry was cut a little short. Flurry Heart decided that I had spent enough time writing my entry and decided to pounce upon me, as I have done to her whenever she attempts to escape bath time. Fortunately for your pages (and my pencil), she made far too much noise for it to be considered a pounce. It was more a flying tackle by a giggling, babbling foal.

Teaching her proper technique will be paramount. I would hate to rob her of that crucial skill.

With that said, I was writing about Learning Day with Princess Cadence when I left off. She was about to tell me the story of why Princess Luna could be a bit finicky with her stars.

There was a bit of a gap between her mention of the tale and when she actually began to share it with me, as the palace staff had walked in with her meal. Princess Cadence chose to eat a bit of heavenly scented onion and leak soup—she said something about dinner being bigger that evening, and it was, so I could hardly argue. I chose to abstain, as her love would be more than enough to nourish me. Feeding upon her and then eating their food would be incredibly greedy and, I daresay, rather rude.

Also, if I made it a habit, I’d probably end up overweight. That is unacceptable. How would I be able to teach Flurry Heart important lessons like proper pouncing, hiding when sought, and, most importantly, protect my hosts if I were a bloated blob of a changeling?

Certainly not well.

I waited patiently for her to finish, and chose to busy myself by indulging in what has become a hobby of mine: pony architecture. Changeling hives aren’t like pony structures. Our hives are as ever-changing as us—what is a door one moment might not be one the next, and you may just find yourself in a room that had three exits but suddenly has one. Ponies might call this chaotic, but it’s a safety measure for us. We can navigate easier because of our senses and the way our minds work. Enemies of the hive or food, on the other hoof, would be lost because they think like their history.

Too linear.

Really, I must wonder how that works. How can a pony pretend they have all the details if they don’t note that history is less a straight line, more an interconnecting web of events that happened a certain way as told by Chitin the Conquerer? Or another strand of the same event as told by Lacewing the Lascivicious, who contradicted Chitin’s account and deposed him as ruler of the Badlands Hive shortly thereafter? Not to mention Morrigan, the Temptress of the Mountains and her famed brothels in what is now the Smokey Mountains, and her union with wily Winsome of the Southern Plains.*

Pony architecture, as stated, is similar. Always fixated, never changing unless they brought in a full team of crafts ponies to “remodel” and “refurbish,” and so strangely … not alive. It may seem strange, but, for all the faults of the Badlands Hive (of which, there are a great many), I do miss the hive structure itself. It was more than just a place we slept, bred, fed, and kept our charmed ponies. It shared in our will and nature.

The hive was alive.

The Crystal Palace was not. It stayed stagnant, unchanging, but beautiful in its own right. From the way the columns seemed to grow from the floor, to how the windows made a rainbow of colors for Flurry to coo at when the sun hit just right, and even how the archways and corridors shimmered like the crystal ponies in the staff, and glowed as though the Crystal Heart’s power thrummed through every inch of the city. Judging by the protective shield and the amount of love in the very air, I’m inclined to believe that is the case.

“So,” Princess Cadence began, effectively pulling me out of my staring contest with the wall. She dabbed a droplet of soup from her lips, then spoke again, “Auntie Luna’s stars. Now, normally, you’d think there wouldn’t be a problem with them being, ah, swirled, right?”

I blinked. “But Star Swirl—”

She shook her head and waved her hoof side-to-side. “Forget Star Swirl for a moment. Star Swirl never had the magical talent to mess with her sky. We can cover him when we discuss ponies with historically significant contribution to magic, if you like.”

“Ah,” I intoned dumbly. Mentally sticking that in a cocoon for later, I asked, “So, if Star Swirl was not responsible for swirling her stars, what relevance does your tale have to the notion?”

“Oh, you’ll see!” A grin nearly split her face. I tasted a hint of spice, a sort of delighted glee that came with a fun memory, accentuated by the light shining in her purple eyes. With a quick jerk of her head, she tossed the curls of her mane over her shoulder, and shifted in her seat cushion. “What do you know about Discord?” she asked.

My eyes must have gone as wide as dinner plates. Discord? The Lord of Chaos? The Bane of Harmony?

Of all our enemies, Discord was at the top of the list. Even the First Mother hissed and recoiled from his power, fearful that he might turn her hatchlings’ chitin to fluff or our nice, warm cocoons to ice cream.

“I know that Queen Chrysalis hated him,” I replied. “And that we were taught to flee from him on sight.”

“Ah, well, don’t worry about him.” She waved me off. “He’s reformed. Mostly. He’s actually rather close with one of Twilight’s friends, and he’s even managed to calm down enough to have tea with the other princesses and I since the incident with Tirek.” Princess Cadence gave a tiny cough and flick of her ear, a sign of discomfort. But she moved on before I could prod. “Anyway, he’s a friend … but he’s sort of a nuisance sometimes.”

I frowned. A nuisance to my hosts was something I had yet to encounter. The crystal ponies were loathe for their benevolent rulers—well, our benevolent rulers—want for anything, and all the Royal Guards who came over from Equestria proper embodied the professionalism and respect Shining drilled into recruits every day.

While I knew she strictly forbade it, I decided then and there that I would sink my fangs into him the instant he tried anything to negatively influence my hosts’ day.

A sudden twist to my earfin yanked me out of my thoughts. I yelped in pain, clapping my hoof over my poor earfin. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a familiar cerulean glow around Princess Cadence’s horn fading away. Her grin had faltered. In its place, a stern frown marred her beautiful face. “Thorax,” she said, “you are not to try biting Discord because I said he can be a nuisance.”

My jaw dropped. “What gave me away?”

“Your eyes flashed green,” she drawled. “When I say Discord is a nuisance, I mean he plays tricks that can be annoying. He’s gotten better about not being too wild. Mostly.” Another cough and shifting on her cushion. She rustled her wings. “That aside, Discord plays a direct role in the story.”

“… Does Princess Luna bite him for his offense?”

“No. But she did chase him around Canterlot, zapping him with magic each chance she got.”

“Okay.” The information was worthy of silent praise for the Night Princess. Her way of dealing with poor behavior wasn’t quite as forceful as ours, but it certainly got the point across. I settled in my cushion and nodded in approval. A princess should discipline the Lord of Chaos if he messed about in her domain. “How does it get to that point, then?”

Princess Cadence laughed and shook her head. “Well, it seems that Discord thought it would be a good idea to go on a weeklong prank spree while Shining and I were visiting our families. He spelled all the sweets in the palace to grow legs and run away anytime Celestia tried to take a bite, he put a rather impressive spell on the library that switched every other page of the books with nonsense magazine articles, but with a twist.” She had to hide a smile behind her hoof. “It only worked when Twilight tried to read a book. To everypony else, nothing was amiss.”

Despite my disapproval of his defiance, I couldn’t help but give a hum of acknowledgement. While not a trick we changelings would pull (mostly because we don’t possess that sort of magic, but also because it’s not our preference), I could appreciate alternative methods. Especially a good one.

Please don’t tell Princess Twilight I said that, Small Pony Book. She might take offense and decide that I’m not allowed to visit Spike.

I would be a very sad changeling if that should happen.

After a brief pause to take a sip of her tea, Princess Cadence continued, “Twilight was torn. I think she wanted to be angry, but she was too impressed with the skill that went into such a spell. Sort of a mixed bag there.”

“Did he do anything to you and Shining?” I asked, cutting her off before she could get too much into Princess Twilight’s tendency to research and study everything that caught her eye.

She snorted. “As a matter of fact, yes. We got off a bit easy, which caused a bit of a stir with my aunts and Twilight. They accused us of colluding.”

“Did you?”

“Of course not. But when you compare what he pulled on them with the minor Color Change spell he cast on Shining and me, it does seem a bit suspicious.” She pulled a face. “I might be making a leap, but I think he kept it that way so he wouldn’t scare Flurry. So, if you just picture Shining with my coat and mane colors, and me with his …”

It took a few seconds, but I managed to conjure the image for myself. I gaped at her, my mouth twitched, unsure if I should laugh or try to force a frown in sympathy for her plight—not that I imagined she or Shining couldn’t pull off each other’s colors, but …

Well, Shining in pink.

I covered my mouth, hoping to hide my grin.

Princess Cadence caught me. Her eyes danced. “Yes, it got more than a few chuckles. But Discord saved his best for Luna on the last night of our visit. Made worse by the fact that she knew he’d be up to something when he joined us for dinner on the balcony, held late enough that we could see her beautiful night sky.”

Right about then, it hit me. My grin slipped away as I let my jaw drop. “No,” I muttered dumbly. “He wouldn’t.”

“Wouldn’t he?” She let out a low, ominous chuckle. Shaking her head again, she sighed. “Discord let us sit there through the entire meal, wondering what he was going to pull. There was no exploding eggplant or frozen soup, he even let Auntie Celestia have her cake without it running away. He waited until the very end, when everypony had finished eating. And then—” She brought a hoof to her forehead, smiling despite herself “—he leaned back in his seat, folded his arms behind his head, and told Auntie Luna that he very much approved of the new artistic direction she’d taken with her stars.”

My heart skipped a beat. I sat, torn between admiration of his gall and disbelief of how indescribably foolish Discord was to dare sit in Princess Luna’s presence and direct her attention to the very night sky he’d hijacked for his own designs.

“We all looked up and stared,” Princess Cadence continued, “awestruck at the sight of all of Auntie’s carefully crafted constellations, her beautiful North and South Stars, all of it thrown into a tizzy like … well …” She floated her cup to rest before me and motioned for me to look down. I obeyed. The tinkling of magic tickled my earfins, a tendril snaked its way into the warm liquid.

The tea began to boil. Bubbles sputtered and swirled about in a miniature whirlpool, moving in no discernible pattern as her magic stirred. This way and that, forward, backward, sideways, everywhere and nowhere. The tiny cup of tea was a flurry of motion too strange for the eye to follow.

Complete chaos. Just as Discord would want. And to wrest control of the stars from the Night Princess herself, even for a brief moment …

I swallowed a lump. “I take it Princess Luna lost her temper with him shortly after?”

“Almost immediately. Discord was ready to run, though. He shot right off the instant she turned her eyes upon him, fully knowing that she was ready to rip him apart.” Princess Cadence took her tea cup again, hiding a frown behind it. “I’d never seen Auntie Luna lose her temper like that since returning. Her eyes glowed pure white, and she put a few good cracks in the castle stones. Auntie Celestia spent hours fixing them.”

It took me some time to pick my jaw up off the floor, as I’ve heard other ponies say. Such power. Such fury.

I was, at that moment, very glad I hadn’t run afoul of Princess Luna during the ill-fated invasion of Canterlot. Suddenly, Princess Cadence battering Libulella’s face and breaking Duplicitous’s everything seemed like nymph’s play. Or like a cat batting at a mouse.

Though, I daresay I would not squeak when Princess Luna’s gaze fell upon me and her lips curved into a wicked smirk. Chitter in fear, on the other hoof …

“Well,” I began, licking my lips. When had they gone dry? “I shall never attempt to swirl Princess Luna’s stars, lest I invite her wrath.”

“Good call,” Princess Cadence replied. Then, her ears twitched. “Oh, that actually reminds me of something! I forgot about Auntie Celestia’s letter!”

Why did that matter to me, I wondered. Oh, how blissfully unaware I was in that instant.

My blissful innocence vanished as she floated a letter that she’d kept hidden beside her left flank, out of my line of sight. Her smile was as sweet as honey, cake, and love. “We’re going to visit them in Canterlot next weekend. And they’ve both asked to meet you.”

“… What?”

Remember me as I was, Small Pony Book.

And may the First Mother have mercy on this poor changeling.


*We need to talk.

- Shining Armor

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading through Thorax's journal! If you like what I'm doing, consider donating to my Patreon.