• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,929 Views, 134 Comments

Family of two - Flat spin



After a huge airshow in Cloudsdale Soarin meets a young fan of his and decided to get to know her better. This leads him to discover that her family is much like his... cold... mean... and heartless

  • ...
11
 134
 2,929

Chapter 1 Flight to "home"

MLP: FiM
Family of two
By: flat spin


”Good job guys.” Spitfire told her team mates as they walked back in to the stadium’s locker room. “Another awesome show done. Get ready for the vip after party… that includes you too Soarin.” She said and looked at Soarin who was taking a sip out of his water bottle.

“Yeah don’t worry I’ll come there.” He said and smiled. “I wound never miss a boring vip event with our sponsors.” He said and chuckled.

“Whatever Soarin.” Spitfire said and walked off. Soarin hated these vip parties. He always thought that it was just a bunch of stuck up ponies talking business and other boring stuff like that. They weren’t fans of the wonderbolts they were business ponies who didn’t care about anything else but money and he hated hanging out with them.

“Hey Soar!” He heard a raspy voice coming from behind his back.

“Dashie!” He Turned around and smiled widely as his marefriend walked up to him. “You did awesome job during that show.”

“Thanks…” She said and continued. “I Kinda wanted to talk about something.”

“What is… you know you can tell anything to me Dashie.” Soarin said in a serious tone.

“Well… you see… our date for tonight isn’t gonna happen… sorry.”

“Why?”

“Spitfire is telling me to do a sponsor event at a local orphanage… we can go out later this week… right?” She said and smiled.

“Yeah… I understand.” He sighed.

“Thanks see you later.” She said and gave him a kiss and then she was gone… Soarin knew that being a wonderbolt meant you had to do a lot of events but still… She never takes a break for him and for that reason their relationship was kinda cold at the moment… Of course he loved her but sometimes it was hard.

He picked up his saddle bag and a note that was his schedule for today. And next was the boring party with Spitfire… Yeah like he was going to go there…

“Sorry Spits… Not today.” He said to himself and teared the paper in to two and threw it to the ground. He knew Spitfire would be annoyed that he didn’t show up but he also knew she wouldn't give him the boot for missing a stupid party… After all they had known each other since they were foals and he had screwed up a lot in his early years of being a wonderbolt and still Spitfire never even threated to kick him out of the team.

Soarin left the locker room and walked in to the hall way which was almost empty of other ponies. Only the backstage personnel for the wonderbolts were there doing their jobs.

“HEY SOMEPONY STOP HER!” Soarin heard a yell coming from behind him and turned around to see a orange filly running away from two security guard that were running after her. Soarin quickly stepped in and tackled the young filly.

“Oops. sorry about that.” He said and picked up the young filly as the guards got to him. “It’s okay she is with me.”

“Oh.. well in that case have a nice day.” The security guard said and left.

“Let me go!” The small Pegasus filly said while trying to get away from Soarin’s grasp.

“I’ll let you go when you tell me why are you here. Because I thought you needed a backstage pass to get here and if you trespass without one you could get banned from future events… so if I were you I would start talking.” Soarin said and smiled warmly.

“Fine…” The filly gave up on the fighting and explained herself. “I just wanted to see if I could spot any of you guys here… and I might have stumbled on to those guards without a pass…please don’t ban me from future events please.” She said with almost teary eyes.

“Relax kid.” Soarin said and put her on to the ground. “I’m not like that. What’s your name.”

“Scootaloo… and I know you name… The great Soarin Skies of the wonderbolts. Two time wonderbolt derby winner and second best wonderbolt.” She said in excitement.

“Yeah I’m pretty great… wait… Second best?” Soarin said and raised an eyebrow.

“That new mare with the rainbow mane was awesome. I cant believe that I don’t know who she is…”

“Well it take some courage to tell the truth and say that I’m not the greatest wonderbolt when I can actually get you banned from future events…” Soarin joked but Scootaloo cut him off.

“I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings… I still like you… And she isn’t that good actually…” She said in panick thinking that Soarin was about to threw her out.

“Relax kid… I’m not like that… And that mare you were talking about is my marefriend.”

“Really? Oh you two are so perfect for each other… You must have like the happiest relationship ever…” Scootaloo said while thinking about her idols.

“Yeah…” Soarin sighed and continued. “Anyways where are you from Scoots?” Soarin tried to change the subject.

“I’m from Canterlot.”

“And what are you doing here in Cloudsdale without your parents?”

“Well… I might have come here alone because I wanted to see you guys so badly.” She told him.

“Well you should probably get flying back because it’s a long flight.” Soarin told her.

“Umm… I can’t.” She said and looked down to the ground. “I can’t fly.”

“Why can’t you fly?”

“I dunno… my dad says that I’m just a failed Pegasus and I should just stop dreaming about flying.” She said with teary eyes.

“Let me see those wings…” Soarin said and grabbed one of her wings. “Hmm… it seems like you have a bad case of stunned wings.” Soarin said and rubbed his chin. “Have you talked to the doctors about this?”

“No my family doesn’t have money to go to the doctor.” She said in a sad tone. “What does it mean to have stunned wings?”

“Well it just means your wings grow slowly and they are weak…” Soarin said and saw her expression go from slightly sad to devastated in a second. “But I wouldn’t worry about it.”

“Why not?” She asked hoping for him to say that she would fly some day.

“I too had a slight case of stunned wings but with a lot of work and a lot of dedication I got them to be like this.” He said and spread his large light blue wings and looked as the little filly looked at them in amazement. “But Spitfire had a serious case of stunned wings… or actually her right wing had a serious case of sunned wing.” Soarin said and laughed a bit. “She used to fly with only one wing in school.” Soarin said and both of them bursted out in laughter thinking of Spitfire trying to fly with one wing. “But she too worked hard to get her wings to work and I think you can two with some work.”

“Really? You think so.” Scootaloo asked

“Of course. But maybe you should see a doctor and just confirm my diagnose… Anyways do you have any ride back home?”

“I guess not since the rail line is closed for tonight.”

“I’ll fly you home.” Soarin said and picked the filly up to his back.

“Really?” She asked in excitement realizing her dream of flying with a wonderbolt was coming true.

“No I will just drop you to a ditch and fly off.” Soarin said in a goofy tone. “Of course I’ll get you home. I have to get an excuse to get out of a stupid party anyways and I do like you attitude kid.”

“Oh my gosh this is gonna be so awesome!” Scootaloo Said in excitement as they walked .out and took flight to the night sky.
As they were flying towards Canterlot Soarin looked at the filly on his back and saw her trying to flap her wings while looking down at the ground. Soarin had decided to fly at slight speed giving the filly a sense of speed but still slow enough that the trip took a while. Soarin was looking at Scootaloo and saw her excitement on her face. It reminded him of himself when he took flight first time… of course after he’s first flight he got his cutie mark but then… something else happen with his father…


“You are a pathetic waste of oxygen and my dna!”

“But dad…”

“No buts! You aren’t flying while living in my house!”


“Ever flown before?” Soarin asked and broke away from his flashback.

“No… This is my first time in the air,” Scootaloo said in a sad but hopeful tone.

“How do you like it?” Soarin asked as Canterlot came into his vision with it’s bright lights.

“This is awesome… The speed… The height… The danger… it’s so cool!” She happily said and smiled. “Thank you so much Soarin!”

“It’s nothing…” Soarin said as he was lowering his altitude. “Where do you live?”

“10 Trotting street.” Scootaloo said in a much less excited tone. “You can drop me of where ever you want I can walk home.”

“Nah… I know where that place is. I grew up here too and still live here.” He said and flew to the northern side of the city. It wasn’t like the rest
of Canterlot with all the posh buildings and fancy ponies. North side of Canterlot was… Well it was a borderline slum for the poor. Not as bad as in some other cities but still… Soarin grew up on the southern side of Canterlot which was very rich, Posh, and populated by the rich aristocratic unicorns…


“You are nothing but a disgrace for our family name!”

“But dad I can’t change who I am.”

“Unfortunately… You just had to ruin our family name with your stupid wings.”


“Down there!” Scootaloo pointed at an old house which was in bad shape. “That’s my place.” Soarin saw it and landed on the front door. Scootaloo jumped to the ground and knocked on the door… No response… like usually.

“Umm… Soarin… Could you kick the door in.” Scotaloo asked.

“Why? It’s gonna break the frame and the lock.”

“Don’t worry those are already broken.” Scotaloo smiled.

“If you say so.” Soarin gave the door a strong kick with his back hooves which caused the door to fly open and Soarin look and saw the inside of the house. It was completely dark but Soarin saw that the house was just as bad in the inside as it was on the outside… and that smell… Soarin had never smelled anything like it.

Scootaloo walked in and for some reason Soarin decided to follow her in.

“Mom! Dad! I’m home!” She yelled but no response.

“Are they even here?” Soarin asked he walked next to Scootaloo in the hall way.

“Mom probably isn’t… she is always somewhere else but dad usually is here.” Scootaloo said and walked to a large room that seemed to be a living room. It was full of thrash and empty hard cider battles and… well Soarin hoped that was flower on the coffee table. “Still where I left him.” Scootaloo said and looked at the couch.

“Please say that isn’t your father…” Soarin said and pointed at the stallion who smelled of alcohol and was lying on the couch while being blacked out from the alcohol.

“Yep.. that’s him…”

Author's Note:

Well it seems like Scootaloo's family got some probles... And what about those flashbacks soarin got?

Anyways i'm writing two fic at the moment so i'm gonna be doing daily updates to this one and the other fic is gonna be placed secondary for now...(sorry) But at the moment i have planned this fic to be about five chapter long... depending how im gonna write them...

Anyways next chapter will be out tomorrow and util then have a nice day:twilightsmile: