• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,930 Views, 134 Comments

Family of two - Flat spin



After a huge airshow in Cloudsdale Soarin meets a young fan of his and decided to get to know her better. This leads him to discover that her family is much like his... cold... mean... and heartless

  • ...
11
 134
 2,930

Chapter 15 School

MLP: FiM
Family of two
By: flat spin


It had been a couple of days since heart’s warming. Rainbow Dash and Rumble had left to live their lives which left Scootaloo and Soarin alone to live their lives. Today was the first business day after heart’s warming which meat that Soarin had practice to attend to and Scootaloo had her first day of School today. Scootaloo and Soarin had just finished breakfast and were about to leave the house.

“Scootaloo do you have your saddle back with you?” Soarin asked as he pulled his wonderbolt uniform on.

“Yeah, I’ve got everything ready for school.” Scootaloo said and walked up to the door.

“Now remember to behave in school and after school is over come back here. I’ll be home soon after you get here but if Spitfire has a lot of paper work I have to help her.” Soarin said and opened the door.

“Okay.” Scootaloo said and climbed on to Soarin’s back.

“Ready?” Soarin asked her.

“Ready.” And with that said Soarin took off to the cold winter sky of Canterlot.


Soon Soarin landed near a huge building. There was many colts and fillies going into the building and their were a couple of grown-ups directing them to their classrooms. Scootaloo jumped down from Soarin’s back and said. “See you after School!”

“Have a nice day in school!” Soarin said and took off towards the wonderbolt compound.
Before Scootaloo could even turn back to face the school she could hear a voice of an older mare.

“Excuse me but are you Scootaloo.” She said in a cold bureaucratic tone.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo said excitedly as she turned to face the older unicorn mare.

“I’m your teacher miss Nippy. Follow me I will escort you to your class since you are new here.” She said and they started to walk towards the school’s entrance. Scootaloo noticed the few teachers who were near the door were looking at her. She could feel the coldness from their stairs.

They entered the school and Scootaloo saw the rows of lockers and several classrooms. There was colts and fillies running to their classrooms and teachers trying to keep some kind of order in the hall way.

“This is your new classroom.” Miss Nippy said as they entered a classroom which was almost full with students. “You can sit in the back, There’s a free place there. we will start in five minutes.” Miss Nippy said and pointed at the back corner of the classroom.

Scootaloo walked to her table and sat down. She could see the other pupils looking at him and talking to themselves. This was her first day at School and she already felt alone.


“Soarin how was heart’s warming?” Fire Streak said as he entered the stallion’s locker room.

“It was great. I finally got to spend some time with Dashie and Scootaloo had a great time.” Soarin said as he took a sip from his water bottle.

“Oh yeah you adopted that filly. Where is she by the way I didn’t see her this morning when I dropped my colts at the wonderbolt juniors camp.” Fire Streak said as he finished putting on his flight suit.

“She isn’t going to school here since she can’t fly.” Soarin said and realized that he hadn’t told about Scootaloo’s condition to anyone except Spitfire and Rainbow Dash.

“Oh well that’s interesting…” Fire Streak said as he realized that there probably was something wrong with the filly. “So you send her to…?”

“Canterlot academy. It was the only school willing to take new students in the middle of the school year.” Soarin said to Fire Streak.

“A unicorn school…” Fire Streak said.

“Come on it’s not that bad. After all I graduated from there too.” Soarin said proudly.

“And did you have a great time with friends there…” Fire Streak said mockingly. “Or were you alone in a corner all the time.”

“Hey me and Spitfire had a great time over there.” Soarin defended knowing that most ponies going to that school were coming from rich and
snobbish families.

“If you say so.” Fire Streak said and started to walk towards the door.

“I’m sure Scootaloo will have a great time going to school over there.” Soarin said in a hopeful tone.


Lunch break had just started. School had lasted for four hours now. During classes Scootaloo stayed quiet and tried to keep up with the but they were clearly a way ahead of her in all subjects. And during recess she stayed near the class room door since she had no idea how to get back if she got lost. Nopony had talked to her but she was the talk of everypony.

“Hey! New filly!” Scootaloo heard somepony call her. She turned and saw three unicorn fillies looking at her. Maybe they wanted to be friends?

“Yeah?” Scootaloo answered back cheerfully.

“Are you the flightless filly that Soarin the wonderbolt had adopted?” The unicorn filly in the middle asked. Scootaloo was taken back by the fact that they knew she was flightless. How did they know?

“Y-Yeah that’s me. How did you know that.” She said trying to stay positive.

“Oh please you have been the talk of the town. A wonderbolt adopts a pathetic flightless filly…” The unicorn filly said and the two others laughed. “That doesn’t even have a cutie mark.”

“What a loser.” The filly on the right said.

“I can’t believe that a wonderbolt would adopt such a disgrace for himself.” The filly on the left said.

“Anyways I guess we will be seeing you around here… Scootapoo.” They said and left while laughing.
Was she really a disgrace for Soarin? Was she giving a bad name for Soarin?


Three painful hours later School finally ended and Scootaloo ran back to home. She just wanted to get away from the school and back to where somepony cared about her. She ran to the door and used her key to open it. She saw a pile of post on the floor. It was mostly fan mail but there was a newspaper in there too. The Canterlot giggler.

“Soarin the wonderbolt has adopted a flightless pegasus filly? Another disgrace for the Skies family.” Scootaloo read the front line from the front page. She couldn’t let Soarin see this. She wasn’t going to be a disgrace for him. She threw the newspaper to the thrash. She only hoped that Soarin hadn’t seen that paper anywhere or that he wouldn’t care what other ponies thought about him… Scootaloo didn’t want to be a disgrace for him. She didn’t want to lose the only pony who had ever cared about her.

She sat down next to the door and looked at the clock. just three hours and Soarin will be here… She closed her eyes and decided to take a nap next to the door so she would be awoken by Soarin when he came home.


“Scootaloo!” Soarin said as he opened the door. Scootaloo quickly stood up and ran up to him. He picked her up into a hug and continued.

“Did you have fun in school.”

She didn’t want to lie. But if she said that she hated that school she would seem ungrateful. “Yeah I had fun.” She lied knowing that was the best answer at the moment.

“Hey did you know that you are the front page news of the day.” Soarin said And picked up a newspaper from his saddle bag. Oh now he had seen the front line of the Canterlot giggler.

“Soarin’s new daughter! Isn’t she great!” Soarin read the front line and showed the paper to Scootaloo.
“The Cloudsdale journal?” Scootaloo read the name of the paper.

“All the papers are full of stories like these… except the papers that only talk about scandals but who cares about them.” Soarin said and smiled at Scootaloo. “Anyways want some food?”

“Yeah what are we having?” Scootaloo asked.

“Vegetable stew. Is that okay for you.” Soarin asked.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo said happily.

“Well come on let’s make some food.” Soarin said and the two entered the kitchen to make themselves some dinner.

Author's Note:

Happy new year everyone!

Next chapter should be up next week until then have a nice start to the new year!