• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 11,808 Views, 430 Comments

Glow - Carapace



When passions flare and new relationships are begun, it can be difficult to sort things out through the warmth and glow of young, budding love.

  • ...
33
 430
 11,808

3. Morning in Canterlot Shimmers

Twilight stirred, letting out a happy, sleepy sigh into her pillow. Never before had she felt so good in the morning, so fulfilled.

And yet, she hadn’t the slightest intention of moving from her spot in bed. The warmth, her body against Spitfire’s, that taste, how lovingly those hooves caressed her body as Spitfire whispered sweet nothings into her ear, and then lulled her to sleep with that lullaby.

What a wonderful night, she thought, her feathers fluffed up. I take back everything I ever told Cadence when I used to hide in the library during school dances!

It was as if she had enough magic in her to juggle the sun and moon for days on end without breaking a sweat. Or like she could just float through the sky, like a fluffy cloud on the eastern winds.

No, wonderful wasn’t the word. There simply wasn’t anything to describe it. Shaky at first, but with a patient, loving guide, it was better than she could ever imagine.

Staying in bed after a night like the last, curled up warm and snug with her pillows seemed like a dream. Almost as good as the one she’d awoken from.

Too bad it ended before the good part. A goofy grin played upon her lips, she squeezed her thighs together and gave her tail a merry swish. The memory of how it felt, those feathers teasing and tickling her thighs, Spitfire’s tongue lapping at her core. Her entire body felt as though it had been refreshed, like she’d never been so complete.

Yes, staying in bed and just reflecting on the night before was a lovely idea.

Like a bolt from the blue, her schedule came unbidden to the forefront of her mind. Breakfast with the girls, the princesses, and Shining Armor. Get up.

She gave a low whine, trying feebly to push her more rational side away. “Just a few more minutes. I’ll make it in time!”

But I promised, she scolded herself. Get up, shower, get some coffee, and go to breakfast. Spend time with my friends and family, as planned.

Her smile ran away from her muzzle. True, she did have plans. Much like she had plans the night before, but she went against them and the evening turned out better than she could possibly imagine.

I promised.

Another whine. Twilight lit up her horn, feeling around for the edge of the comforter with her magic. Nothing. Wrinkling her muzzle, she rolled over onto her back and cracked open her eyes. With a little wince at morning sun’s assault on her poor eyes, she peered toward her bed to find her lower half decidedly uncovered—her coat from waist down was matted, some of it a bit sticky as she wiggled her legs to work out the kinks, and her tail seemed a bit frazzled.

No blanket. Had she kicked it off at some point during the night?

Twilight sat up abruptly, peering over the edge to find the comforter laying in a crumpled heap, looking oddly damp. Perplexed, she ran a hoof over the bed, her sheets cold and wet to the touch.

She gave a cautious sniff. Sweat and something else, musty, a bit sweet, and familiar. A scent she’d smelled on Shining Armor when he’d come home from a few dates with Cadence, grinning like the cat who caught the canary—evidence to a bit of sexual activity, as she would later realize.

The realization cut through her haze, her eyes went wide. Sex? That scent in my room—I actually had sex last night! The full weight came down on her shoulders, her heart raced as memories flashed through her mind.

Greeting guests. Spitfire walking up to chat with them. Celestia asking her to accompany Spitfire to the Gala. Drinking rainbow mixers and flirting. Following Spitfire out of the ballroom, her eyes lingering on the yellow-coated rump and swishing orange tail. Flying to meet Spitfire on the clouds for a talk and kissing. Lots of kissing. More than she’d ever had before, and, by the stars, moon, and sun, did she want more.

We came back to the suite, she thought. We had sex. She coached me, and she was gentle and sweet, and we fell asleep together!

She looked left and right, searching for her nighttime partner, her heart slowly sinking into the pit of her stomach. Twilight was alone in bed. Naught but the scent of their activities, her hazy memory, and a couple yellow pinions left atop the sheets remained.

Her ears swiveled back to lay flat against her head. With a trembling hoof, Twilight reached out to take hold of one of the feathers as if to make certain it were real.

The light brush of feather against her hoof made her blood run cold. It was real. The world came crashing down upon her shoulders. All those things they did together, all the sweet things Spitfire said at the Gala and whispered in her ear, was it all a lie?

She left. Twilight bit her lip and squeezed her eyes shut, fighting back hot, burning tears of fury and humiliation. Just like those ponies Cadence and Rarity warned me about all those times.

All those lectures about not letting herself get wrapped up in the moment or charmed into bed by some “floozy”, lest she allow herself to be hurt should she wake up alone—every time they brought it up, she’d just roll her eyes and say she knew how to take care of herself.

“There’s nothing to worry about, I’d never let myself get trapped in that situation.”

Her own words pierced through her like a lance. She’d done exactly what they warned her not to do at the very first chance.

A scowl marred her muzzle. Twilight drove the hoof holding Spitfire’s feather into the mattress, grinding it as best she could. “Stupid, stupid, stupid!” she scolded herself. “You should’ve known! You stupid, air-headed little filly! Why in the name of Celestia’s shining sun would the Captain of the Wonderbolts take an interest in you, other than getting to say she rutted a princess!

Magic sparked from her horn, the bedside lamp, shattered from a bout of accidental magic the night before, sparked and sizzled. Steam began to rise from the broken shards and frayed wires.

Calm down. She took a deep breath and let her magic recede. The sparking and sizzling stopped, though the smell of burning wires still lingered on the air. You have things to do today, and if you walk around with a scowl on your muzzle, everypony will pester you about it.

Twilight brought her hoof to her chest, inhaling deeply once again. Slowly, she let it go and extended her hoof just as Cadence taught her. Get up, shower, get coffee. Put on a smile and meet the girls. Simple enough. Even if the morning had been sufficiently ruined, the rest of her day was still salvageable.

With one last look at the remains of the broken feather and its intact sister, she gave a derisive snort and rolled out of bed, landing heavily on her hooves. Her mood still sour, she made to walk to the bathroom, but something new caught her eye.

Lying just a short distance away in a crumpled heap, entangled with the lovely dress Rarity had custom made for her to wear, was Spitfire’s officer uniform—with all of its medals still attached, and golden buttons missing from her efforts to rid the mare of the cumbersome article.

Her scowl returned in full. Lovely. I get another parting gift for the evening. I suppose I should expect a bill for uniform repairs as well. Scoffing, she continued onward to the bathroom door. “If that mare even thinks of trying it, she’s got another thing coming! I’m half a mind to tell Princess Celestia the Wonderbolts can afford to take a rather hefty cut in their—no. Can’t do that.” Bad. Don’t let personal feelings get in the way of being a proper, just ruler. “Well … I’ll just throw the stupid thing back in her face and tell her to fix it herself!”

Much better! And a perfectly reasonable response to everything! Lighting up her horn, Twilight twisted the doorknob and roughly jerked it open. She stepped into the bathroom, closing the door behind her with a loud bang.

Another deep breath, the tension seemed to leave her just a bit. It felt good to get her temper out, even if it was something as simple as slamming the door. Twilight extended her magic out and took hold of the faucets, twisting them and adjusting them to her preferences. Water poured out, slowly heating up until steam rose and filled the bathroom.

This is exactly what I need, she gave a sigh, half-relieved, but still half-angry. Flicking her tail, she stepped in and ducked under the steady stream of hot water.

All the stress, all the aggravation just seemed to run off her as water ran down the back of her neck, over her back and wings, and rolled off her sides. Shampoo floated from its place on the shower rack, then she squeezed a generous bit onto her hooves. Sitting back on her haunches, Twilight began to gently massage it into her mane, the soft repetition like a ritualistic cleansing of body and mind.

Such a stupid mistake. She didn’t change a bit. Frowning, she levitated a scrub brush from its place on the rack and squeezed a bit of shampoo onto the bristles. It’s the same as when she left Soarin’ in the hospital and tried to get Rainbow to join Team Cloudsdale—I’ll bet she made up that whole thing about her ‘aversion’ to being crowded.

The brush froze in mid-scrub. Twilight’s jaw dropped. “She lied to Princess Celestia too! Oooh! That mare!” She scowled. “Oh, when I find her, I’ll give her more than a piece of my mind! Lying to a Crown Princess in order to get help from another Crown Princess, and then playing me like a lyre!”

Just as she readied to launch herself into another tirade, Twilight managed to stop herself and take another breath. Calm down. She’s not worth all this, not if she left me and lied about learning from her mistakes at the qualifiers.

Her thoughts turned to Celestia, how her former teacher might react to this information. She could almost hear her reply, “If this is true, then I owe you my sincerest apologies, Twilight. Rest assured, Captain Spitfire and I will have words—you need not concern yourself with her or myself, though your willingness to rise to my defense is quite heartening in the face of such events …”

Despite her mood, Twilight couldn’t help but laugh to herself. No matter how old she got or how much she grew, Celestia would always look out for her. Almost as though she signed on to have a second mother when she became her personal student.

A second mother who was very busy running the country, and shouldn’t have to take time to fix her former student’s relationship woes.

Giving a resolute nod, Twilight shut off the water and placed the scrub brush back on the rack. “I can fight my own battles, I’m a big mare now.” With a flick of her magic, she was dried off. She stepped out of the shower, trotting over to the sink to look herself in the mirror.

Mane and coat cleaned properly and all evidence of nightly activities gone. Perfect. Her magic wrapped around a brush, a toothbrush, and toothpaste, readying to go through the rest of her morning routine. “Much better, the shower was all I really needed.” She nodded to herself, holding her head proudly. “One little mistake doesn’t change anything about who I am! It’s like Cadence or Rarity would say—her loss if she didn’t stick around!”

Yes, that was the way. If Spitfire wanted to up and leave after the night they shared, then that was her problem. She had no idea what she was missing out on!

A thought occurred. Twilight had to bring a hoof to her lips to stifle a giggle. “Oh, dear, I definitely can’t tell the girls. If Rainbow finds out, she’ll be furious. This makes the third time Spitfire’s ruined her own image.” With a shake of her head, she set about brushing her teeth. I’d have to enlist a squad of guards to make sure the girls didn’t go off and do something silly.

Not to mention what Shining Armor might do.

Giving a visible shudder, she rinsed out her mouth. “It’s one mistake on my part, nothing more. I’ve learned my lesson.” Twilight floated everything back into place and gave herself a quick once over in the mirror. “Move forward and don’t do it again, Twilight. Like a mistake in a lab exercise.”

The weight lifted off her shoulders, Twilight allowed herself a small smile. Today was a new day, after all. For once, she’d have a normal day in her home city, starting with a nice breakfast. Then, perhaps they could all take a walk around town, see a few things the girls were interested in, and meet up with her parents in the afternoon.

Pity dad isn’t one for big parties, he and Pinkie were an absolute terror with bad jokes at my post coronation party. Actually, scratch that. It’s a good thing. I would’ve spent the whole night begging them to stop while mom just laughed. Another shake of her head as she trotted briskly from the bathroom, stepping over the crumpled Wonderbolts uniform on her way out toward the living room and the suite’s kitchenette area.

A familiar scent wafted into her nose. The rich, smooth aroma of freshly brewed coffee made her ears perk right up and put an extra swish in her tail.

Spike must’ve woken up early and come over to her room to help get her moving. Naturally, that meant making coffee to tempt her out of bed.

Twilight made a mental note to do something nice for him later on. Maybe they could go get ice cream at his favorite shop, or go visit Pony Joe again. It’d been awhile since the last time she had one of his special jelly donuts, and Spike had been rather helpful around her new castle lately.

Her mind made up, she turned the corner to the kitchenette, a warm, perky “Good morning, Spike” on the tip of her tongue.

Indeed, somepony was in the kitchen and had been about it for quite some time. A newspaper laid open on the table—the sports section, judging by the pictures. But upon seeing the figure standing by the coffee pot, the greeting died on her lips and all attention was drawn to the mare before her. yellow coat, a flame lick cutie mark adorning each flank, her fiery mane and tail dampened and turned copper, magnificently preened feathers, and a towel hanging around her neck.

Spitfire hadn’t left after all.

Twilight gawked at the pegasus, watching the mare stare at the coffee pot, humming a jaunty tune under her breath. Upon second glance, she noticed Spitfire’s dampened mane hung limp against the back of her neck, highlighting the curves as it reached her toned shoulders.

Not to mention the hypnotic powers that tail seemed to hold over Twilight as it swished side to side to give her a teasing view of those delicious flanks.

Anger, frustration, humiliation all left her. Spitfire wasn’t one of the ponies Cadence and Rarity warned her about, she hadn’t repeated her mistake at the Falls, and Rainbow wouldn’t want to go flying off to give her idol a solid hoof to the face.

Her hoof trembled as Spitfire started a little shuffling step to go with her song, her fiery tail swaying back and forth like a metronome while she bounced to an imaginary beat. Out of uniform, Spitfire was a mare just like her. A flirty, stupidly attractive mare.

And she was standing in her kitchen, humming and doing a little dance without a care in the world as she reached up to open a cabinet and pull out a pair of mugs.

Coffee for two.

Twilight’s feathers fluffed up, the warmth from the night before filled her chest as her tail began to swish in time with Spitfire’s. She stayed, she made coffee, and she pulled down mugs for both of us—she’s waiting for me! Fighting down the urge to squeal and prance in place like she had upon getting her cutie mark, Twilight licked her lips. In a rush, her euphoric state hit her in full force. I’m just so happy I could … I could sing!

It clicked. Her ears stood up straight as a broad grin crossed her muzzle. Spitfire talked all night long about how she wanted to hear Twilight sing—how word had spread all around town, and the military thanks to Shining—that her singing voice was brilliant.

Since Spitfire stuck around and made coffee while giving her a free show, it was only fair that she get a little reward herself.

Humming a little tune of her own to get going, Twilight broke out in song. Spontaneous, unlike most of what she did, the lyrics weren’t planned. Like the night before, whatever came to mind—how happy she was, how wonderful she felt, her relief at finding Spitfire awake and waiting for her, how well-preened those gorgeous wings looked—everything flew passed her lips and into the morning air.

As soon as she started, Spitfire froze, her ears flicked back toward Twilight. Slowly, she turned her head, her bright orange eyes wide and mouth hanging open, the corners tugging upward into a grin.

For once, the more logical side of her, the one that told her when something might be embarrassing and that she should really stop, was quiet. That astonished, exuberant grin spurred her to finish her song, the warmth in her chest mixing with a light, fluffy feeling, as though she were floating on a cloud again.

By the time she finished, Spitfire ruffled her feathers and began trotting toward her, a sway in her hips as she approached. “Well, well, this is a fine ‘Good morning, Spitfire’!” she purred, fixing Twilight with a half-lidded gaze. Spitfire stopped and gave her a soft, affectionate nuzzle. “You realize, now that I’ve heard you sing, I’ll just have Soarin’ distract those friends of yours while Fleet and I take you back to base!”

Giggling, Twilight stole a kiss. “You’d have to get passed my brother and my friends first.”

“I’m in your room, hon.” Another kiss in reply, warm and lingering before Spitfire pulled away, her eyes dancing with mischief. “I could have you trussed up, out the window, and halfway to Cloudsdale before anypony even noticed!”

“Hmm, that sounds like intent to kidnap a princess, you know.” Twilight countered, bringing a hoof to her chin as a playful smirk crossed her muzzle. “I’m sure I could put in a request for you to be imprisoned in my castle in Ponyville for such a heinous crime, with your wings bound so you couldn’t try to fly off …”

Spitfire snorted, her breath washing over Twilight’s face. “Well, then, I guess I’ll have to be good, won’t I?” Stealing one last kiss, she stepped aside and nodded toward the coffee pot. “Coffee’s just about ready. How do you take yours?”

“Cream and one sugar,” she replied automatically, her gaze drifting low as Spitfire trotted over to ready the empty mugs.

Didn’t we just say that was a mistake? She chided herself, giving a mental slap upside her head. Too fast, even if she has set of flanks I could bounce a bit off and—stop it!

Twilight shook herself, seeing Spitfire pull out a spoon and open up the sugar, she fixed a smile on her muzzle. “You don’t have to do it for me.”

“After that musical number of yours, yeah I do,” Spitfire retorted. Casting a glance over her shoulder, she smirked. “Besides, I did kinda owe you for using your shower while you were sleeping—I’d have asked, but you looked way too cute all curled up like that.”

“Th-That’s perfectly fine!” she fought the urge to giggle, the corners of her mouth tugging into a full-blown grin. Fluffing up her feathers, she made her way over to the coffee table in the sitting room and took her seat. “Wait a moment.” Twilight tilted her head. “Didn’t I fall asleep on top of you?”

Snorting, Spitfire nodded. “That you did. You snuggled right up to my chest, let me wrap you up in my wings again, and conked right out.” As she finished, Spitfire deftly picked up each mug in her mouth, one at a time, and laid them on an extended wing. With a great show of coordination and grace, she trotted over to join Twilight, her step hardly even slowed by her burden. “Why do you ask?”

Twilight lit up her horn and accepted her steaming mug with a nod of thanks. “I’m curious, how exactly did you slip out of bed so easily?”

“Ah! I see.” Spitfire took her mug in hoof and sat down across from her, a sly smirk played upon her lips as she took a sip. “Good stuff, this coffee! Better than the swill at the mess hall—don’t tell Dash that, by the way. I don’t want her getting scared off because our food’s not high class, or something.”

The pair shared a laugh together. An image of Rainbow Dash blanching at whatever passed for food in the mess hall flitted through Twilight’s mind.

Oh, gosh, I’d have paid to see the first time she tasted that! Twilight sipped at her coffee, sighing in content at the warm, smooth taste. Just what she needed to get going.

Raising an eyebrow, she asked, “You were saying?”

Spitfire blinked and shook her head. “Sorry, got off track. To be honest, I don’t wanna say anything, but—“ a familiar, sly grin crossed her muzzle “—I learned a few things about you last night, hon. Specifically, that there’s a little spot just beneath your ear you just loved when I gave it a bit of attention.” A deep blush colored Twilight’s muzzle, that grin turned shark-like. “Yeah, you moved a little to give me room to work, so it wasn’t much trouble to coax you off me in the morning.”

Twilight held back a squeak and quickly took a sip of coffee to try to hide behind her mug. Very good coffee, very warm. A lot like Spitfire last night—stop that!

Her mind kept wandering back to their time on the cloud and eventual transition to the bedroom—memories of her first time flitting through her mind like a play, and she could do nothing to stop them. Such wonderful sensations, warmth and lightness in her body as she gave way to her passions, how Spitfire’s soft lips felt pressed against her, all of it brought a smile to her lips.

Still, it was far too fast. As euphoric as she felt now, and when she first awoke, there was still that fury when she thought Spitfire had left her—the bout of temper at how she could be discarded so carelessly was quite fresh in her mind.

She shifted awkwardly, her tail flicking anxiously. “I thought you’d left,” she said softly.

Spitfire froze with her mug halfway to her mouth. Slowly, she placed it on the table, the smile wiped from her face. “What?”

Likewise, Twilight placed her mug on the table. She closed her eyes and ducked her head as if bracing herself before speaking again. “When I realized you weren’t in bed I thought you’d just slipped away, and were having a laugh with your teammates …”

A hoof touched hers, gently pulling it over the table to hold. “Look up, hon.” She hesitated a moment, drawing a sigh. “Twilight—” Spitfire amended “—please look at me. Let’s talk about this like adults.”

Almost automatically, she obeyed. Twilight slowly cracked open her eyes, focusing on the yellow forehoof clasping her own.

Spitfire gave a small smile and patted her hoof. “‘Atta girl. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry for scaring you like that. I forgot that last night was your first time, and didn’t really think you’d be sensitive about things in the morning. I showered, and took a flight to get a newspaper while you were sleeping. Thought I’d read while I waited for you to get up, but then I heard the shower going, so I figured I’d make coffee. Kinda surprised me, waking up early after last night.”

“I’ve always been an early riser for school and when I ran the library in Ponyville. This is sleeping in for me,” she admitted.

“Fair enough. I might have you beat on that, especially when we gear up for derby season, but I digress.” Spitfire sat back and placed her hooves on the seat cushion. “So, what’s on your mind?”

Twilight chewed on her lip. “Last night. What we did, talking and flirting, and then coming back here and …” she trailed off, shyly ducking her head as she struggled to put it in delicate terms.

“Having sex?”

“Yes, that.” Her feathers ruffled at Spitfire’s candor. “It was … fun. A lot of fun, wonderful even. The way you made me feel, how nice it was talking with you on the cloud before we kissed, how patient you were in guiding me throughout, er, the sex part—“

“Twilight,” Spitfire cut in gently, her smile still in place. “It’s just you and me here. You don’t have to try to be delicate about what we did together.”

“Right. Well, yes, we had sex. And it was a lot of fun, and I really liked it—really liked it.” Suddenly, her seat cushion seemed all the more interesting. How did they manage to make it so perfectly soft, but firm at the same time?

“But …” Spitfire supplied.

She swallowed a lump in her throat, a hoof ground into the cushion. “When I woke up and I thought you’d left, I did exactly what you said you didn’t want either of us to feel—I thought you’d tricked me into bed so you could have a quick lay, and left. And I started regretting it, and thinking how silly I was for letting things go so far so fast.” Squeezing her eyes shut, she took a deep breath. “I felt embarrassed, and then I was really angry about it until I realized you hadn’t left!”

Silence hung over the pair, broken only by the sound of Spitfire drawing in a deep breath and her heart pounding in her ears.

Sighing, Spitfire ran a hoof through her mane. “You don’t have to feel sorry about anything, Twilight. It was your first time, and, let’s be honest, you’ve got every reason to think I’d walk away thanks to what you saw of me at the Falls.” To Twilight’s surprise, she hung her head and let her ears lay flat. “I was stupid letting my drive to win get the better of me then, and I can’t stand what I did to Soarin and Dash that day. As far as we go—“ she raised her head to look into Twilight’s eyes “—I’m at fault, too. It was your first time and I could tell you were lost and nervous, but I let us both get out of control.”

“I should’ve said ‘red’,” Twilight mumbled.

“I never should’ve let us get to the point of needing a word, hon.” Another sigh and shake of her head. “But, damned if I didn’t want you bad. The moment I laid eyes on you last night, I thought you looked amazing, and I told myself to behave. But I didn’t.”

A rustle of feathers made Twilight look up from her examination of the cushion to find Spitfire rubbing a hoof against her shoulder, her eyes downcast.

Her shoulders slumped. “I think we went too fast …”

“Yeah …”

Twilight felt her heart sink like a stone in water. She hung her head low, the full weight of their activities fell upon her shoulders.

Yet, that euphoric, fluffy feeling within her chest remained. How warm their bodies felt intertwined together, the soft caress of magnificent feathers against her body as Spitfire captured her lips in a sweet kiss …

Far too fast, she knew that. Logically, there were supposed to be steps to these sort of things. Cadence had gone to painstaking lengths to teach her that much—there was talking to forge bonds, then nice dates together, a little bit of kissing, picnics on the hill, flowers and gifts, and then the more mature sorts of things.

Relationships based entirely off sex didn’t last, there had to be some sort of basis for two ponies to stay together. There were plenty of examples in favor of Cadence’s opinion.

Still, it was all so fun! And felt so good …

“Too fast,” she repeated a little louder. “But I liked it.”

Spitfire’s ears flicked toward her. “I know you liked it, Twilight, but that doesn’t change—“

“I liked it, and I wanted more when I woke up,” Twilight cut her off, determined to get her point across. “You—You said you were interested in flirting and things! And—And so was I!”

“True.” Shrugging and giving a nod, Spitfire raised a hoof. “Still, I don’t feel right about it. And from how you started off and the way you keep looking down, you’re having second thoughts. Am I right?”

A nod and an awkward rustling of her feathers. Twilight fiddled with her hooves, warmth flooded into her cheeks. “It was really good, though. I just … I don’t really know what happens from here.”

Quirking an eyebrow, Spitfire lowered her hoof. “Mind explaining?”

“Everything I know about relationships is secondary—from informational books, novels, or friends.” Shifting in place, she looked off to the side. “It sounds silly, I’m sure, but it’s something I’ve wanted but never really had the courage to go after.”

“You said as much last night. So … okay, this is gonna sound like I’m scoffing, but I have to say it.” Twilight flicked an ear in her direction at the shift in tone from remorse to mild amusement. “As much as I love organization, you can’t really put relationships, or love in general, into a step-by-step sort of thing. Don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely a right and a wrong way to do things, but it’s not uniform.”

Twilight made to counter, a retort straight from one of Cadence’s lectures on the subject at the ready. But she stopped short. Cadence is the Princess of Love, she thought, bringing a hoof to her lips. She’s well-versed in helping ponies find love and keep it going, just like I am in forging friendships. But I’m certainly no expert on the matter, I just understand it well thanks to my friends. Her ears perked up to their full height. Each of her friends were different, from their personalities to their likes and dislikes, but they all came together and adapted to one another.

On an individual level, however, their relationships differed quite a bit. Rarity and Fluttershy like going to the spa to chat, while Applejack and Rainbow Dash would rather make bets, Pinkie likes to pull pranks and plan parties with all of us, I like to read with Rainbow, learn Apple family history, talk with Fluttershy about animals, have tea with Rarity, and bake with Pinkie. Her tail flicked as she pieced everything together, she glanced up at Spitfire and was met with a rather strained smile and yellow ears pinned back against her head.

Spitfire was worried—her facial ticks, and the telltale rustling of her wing said as much. Whether she was more worried that Twilight might come to regret last night or end things completely, however, she wasn’t certain.

“I had a lot of fun last night,” Twilight began slowly, “even before we had sex.”

Spitfire started. “Wha—er, yeah, so did I. Just talking with you was nice, not even counting the flirting part. Getting to know the mare behind the new princess was cool.”

“And getting to know the mare behind the sunglasses, scowls, and barked orders was ‘cool’ as well.” The pair shared smiles, warm and friendly as the night before. “I never would’ve guessed you liked dancing.”

“Just like I never imagined you got into old pegasus tales,” Spitfire countered good-naturedly. With a weak chuckle, she picked up her mug again, fiddling with it between her hooves. “So … we both had fun, and we enjoyed our time together. But I think we both can agree that it was a bit too soon. Yeah?”

Twilight nodded, a sheepish smile played upon her lips.

“Okay, good. Well, not good because we did it, but good in the sense that we can admit it. Progress.” Spitfire took a big sip of her coffee, finishing it off in a single gulp. “We’re on the same page, at least. And we both enjoyed talking and getting to know one another.”

Another nod. Twilight scrunched up her muzzle. “If you don’t mind my asking, where are you going with this?”

“Getting there—we started off like we were just a couple mares at the bar, got talking and getting to know each other, and ended up in bed way too fast, even though we weren’t drinking. So … I felt a spark there. I’m not sure just how strong it was, or if you feel the same—“

“I do!” Twilight blurted. Fidgeting in place, she spoke softly, “I-I mean, I felt it, too. It was … something throughout the night.”

Spitfire grinned and nodded. “Well, if we’re both on the same page and we both feel there was something between us, we could give it a try.”

“It?”

“Us.” Spitfire gestured between them with a hoof. “We could go on a couple dates, talk, and get to know each other a little more, see how things work out.” Ruffling her feathers, she leaned over the table. “Like a tryout, remember?”

“The last time we had a tryout together, we ended up having sex,” Twilight pointed out.

“Then this time, we can lay down some ground rules.”

Curious, she raised an eyebrow. “What sort of rules did you have in mind?”

“Simple stuff. Like, we keep the whole ‘code red’ thing for both of us—the second you or I feel uncomfortable, we say stop. That way, we don’t do something completely bonkers, and we don’t go too fast again.”

Humming in thought, Twilight considered the notion a moment. “I suppose that’s fair, though it didn’t stop us last night. Maybe we should quantify what ‘too fast’ is so we have a sort of line of demarcation.”

“That could work too,” Spitfire said with a nod. “Hugging and kissing is normal couple stuff, so I’d say that should be fair game.”

“Oh, wait! Hold on!” she cut in, lighting up her horn and casting a quick conjuring spell. In a flash of purple, a quill, inkwell, and roll of paper hovered before her. She began writing down the information. “Okay—kissing and hugging, fair game. Got it!”

Blinking, Spitfire tilted her head. “Remind me to ask you when you learned to do that—I’ve never seen anypony pull that off.”

“Hmm? Oh! Er, yes, it’s a relatively high level spell, so that doesn’t surprise me.” She raised the paper up to hide her reddened cheeks. “Celestia liked to challenge me, she would give me extra lists of spells to work on outside of my normal course load to see how I could manage on my own. That was one of them.” Coughing awkwardly, she steered the conversation back to the subject. “So, kissing—is that with or without tongue? Are there places where one is more acceptable than the other?”

There was a beat of silence, then the sound of poorly muffled sniggering. Twilight peeked over her list, only to narrow her eyes at the sight of Spitfire struggling to keep her laughter under control—those cute yellow cheeks of hers puffed out, a hoof jammed in her mouth to help hold it back.

“What is it?” she asked slowly.

The dam burst. Spitfire doubled over, clutching her ribs as she cackled. “Dang, Twilight! I never knew a pony could make Prench kissing sound so much like an add on service!” she howled between bouts of laughter. “What’s the premium rate on trailing my feathers over yours? Do I have to go double if I wanna run ‘em over that cute little rump?”

Twilight sucked in a breath through her snout, her cheeks puffed up angrily. Before she could launch into scolding Spitfire, the mare waved a hoof.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry, it was just there and I like ribbing my friends.” Spitfire rubbed her shoulder, a sheepish smile crossed her muzzle. “Er, right, about kissing. Well, let me put it this way: Prenching in public is right out. It’s awkward, and ponies end up staring and talking. Not something either of us want to experience, I’m sure.”

Scrunching up her muzzle, Twilight let the scene from last night play out in her mind. Spitfire on top of her, her tongue trailing along Twilight’s lips, coaxing them open, their bodies pressed together atop the fluffy cloud …

All in front of an audience of strangers.

A shudder ran down her spine. “Y-yes. Definitely not something I’d like to go through!” she shook herself, quickly adding a little note to the rules. “S-So, just little kisses in public. The, um, Prench kissing is for private time only. Got it.”

Spitfire raised a hoof and made to add something, but paused. Shaking her head, she said, “No, that’ll just add more confusion. We’ll just stick with that. Don’t ask.” She shot a look, no trace of playfulness in her gaze. “Moving along. We’re doing fine on the public front, as for the rest, the speed can be dictated and adjusted depending on the mood and how comfortable we are with things. I’m a bit more … experienced in that regard, but I’m more worried about you feeling out of sorts.”

“Me?” Twilight blinked. “But you were uneasy too!”

“Yes, but I know whether or not I’m ready when it’s clear that sex is an option. Last night, I was more than ready. You hesitated a bit, and I should’ve taken that as a sign to stop.” Another rustle of her feathers, and a rather visible flick of her tail. “I got excited, and I’m flexible with pacing. That said, we both need to figure out pacing for this. So, for now at least, let’s put up a red flag on us getting in the mood—if either of us gets to that point or feels uncomfortable in any way, we’ve gotta speak up for this to work.”

Twilight blanched, her magic faltered and nearly dropped the inkwell. “What?” she squawked. “But I—Spitfire, I have no idea how pacing a relationship works!”

A hoof shot forward and caught hers. Spitfire held it tight, turning it over so she could reach across with her free hoof to clasp the back of Twilight’s. “There isn’t a definitive guide, hon. Not for pacing, and certainly not for love. The only way to figure it out, is by going with your gut. If it feels comfortable, you’re fine. But the moment it doesn’t …” she let the words hang, her eyes taking on a serious edge to them.

She was waiting for Twilight to fill it in.

“Code red,” Twilight supplied.

Spitfire’s lips curved into a winning smile. “Bingo. Likewise, if anything comes up that bothers me, I’ll let you know. Anything we didn’t cover?”

“Er …” her eyes flitted to the list. There was hugging, kissing with and without tongue and when both were appropriate, and code red. But there were other things the night before. What’s missing… oh! “What about nuzzles?” she asked.

“Nuzzles are always fine,” Spitfire said with a chuckle, leaning forward to give a meaningful one to Twilight’s snout. “That one, I don’t think we need a code red for unless it’s something a bit more … low, if you catch my drift.”

She did, the light burning in her cheeks more akin to a raging inferno as she recalled how that went. “Y-Yes. Agreed.” Clearing her throat, she hid herself behind the list again, the slip of paper serving as a shield against Spitfire’s low chuckle and teasing grin. “One last thing: what about wings?”

Spitfire hummed. “What about them?”

Whining, she lowered the list. “Are you really going to make me ask?”

An eyebrow arched. “Yes.”

This mare … With a sigh, Twilight met her gaze and spoke, “What about using our wings to, er, hug, as it were?”

Spitfire didn’t reply immediately, her playful grin fell slightly, a more reserved, almost coy smile crossed her muzzle. “I think,” she began, “I’m going to have to use code red on that one.”

“Already?” Twilight blinked, then corrected herself. “I-I don’t mean that I want to push you—it’s just, we did that last night and—“

A hoof covered her mouth. “Yes,” Spitfire said. “And last night, things happened too fast. Wing hugs are in that category. I’ll explain later, but I’d like to get to know you more first. If all goes well, I’d be happy to wrap you in my wings again and tell you all about how special that is to pegasi.” She shrugged. “Of course, if you’re curious, you could always look it up. Or just ask one of your friends.”

There was a strange gleam in her eyes, an almost challenging look, daring Twilight to take the easy way to get information.

Twilight set her jaw and snorted a breath in Spitfire’s face, a little challenge of her own. “I’ll wait, then,” she said sweetly. “Relationships are built on respecting boundaries, and this is one of yours.”

Her smile broadened, the gleam in her eyes only seemed to shine brighter. “Thanks, hon.” Leaning forward, she dotted Twilight’s snout with a quick kiss. “So, this whole dating thing. Let’s plan something out. Simple, mind you. Like dinner—if you’re free tonight, we could go somewhere.”

“I’d love to, but I already had plans with the girls. Breakfast, walking around town, and meeting up with my parents,” Twilight said, her eyes crossing as Spitfire drew closer again, their snouts almost touching.

“No worries, we can work around that. I probably need to make sure Fleet and Soar haven’t done anything stupid—I swear, I’m their mother sometimes.” Another kiss to the end of her snout, this time closer to lips. “How long are you in town for?”

Acting quickly, Twilight stole a kiss to Spitfire’s lips, lingering a moment before she pulled away. “I’ll be here for a few more days. How about tomorrow?”

“I don’t think I’ve got anything planned after two or so. Late lunch, maybe? We could go find a place on the, er …” she trailed off and gave a crooked smile. “I was gonna say less upper-scale end of town. Not that I’m not good for money, but I’d rather start with something a little more …” she rolled a hoof in the air, searching for the word.

“Conducive to ‘real talk’?” Twilight offered, recalling Spitfire’s words from the night before.

Yellow ears perked up. “Yeah, there it is!” Spitfire grinned and stole another kiss. “So, how about it?”

Smiling, Twilight gave a soft nuzzle. “I’d be happy to.”

“Great! I’ll pick you up here around two, then!” With their date set up, the pair stood. Spitfire shook out a little bit of stiffness in her legs. “So, you’ve got breakfast downstairs?” At Twilight’s nod, she continued, “Cool. Let me grab my uniform and I’ll walk you down.” With one last nuzzle, she turned and trotted back into the bedroom, emerging just a moment later with her neatly folded uniform resting between her shoulder blades. Waggling her eyebrows, she spoke, “I’d put it on, but explaining my sudden lack of buttons might be a bit awkward, eh?”

A tiny squeak escaped her lips, Twilight ducked low. “Y-Yes. Let’s just not advertise that, shall we?”

Spitfire only laughed as she trotted over and nudged her toward the door out to the hallway, whispering something about the cute little blush that crossed Twilight’s muzzle as they stepped past the guards posted on either side and made their way to the stairwell.

The walk down to the Main Hall was, surprisingly, rather quiet. Spitfire seemed content to just stay close together, so much so that their feathers brushed together, a rather pleasant, ticklish sensation that sent tiny shockwaves through Twilight’s body.

An airy giggle escaped her lips. Even if she wasn’t quite certain what was so special about wing hugs. The playful brushing of feathers against feathers as they trotted side by side down the grand staircase and turned left down the corridor still made her coat stand on end.

Rather than take a right at the break at the end toward the Grand Banquet Hall, Twilight guided Spitfire to take another left.

“There are a few smaller dining halls,” she explained. “Celestia likes to keep things closer together when we’re all together—more intimate.”

Spitfire nodded along with her. “Makes sense. I’d imagine both she and Princess Luna like to have things a bit more closely knit every now and then.” Pausing a moment, she stole a glance to the portraits gracing the white marble walls. Each of them a depiction of the Immortal Sisters, together with their favored students over the years or the greatest heroes and heroines of Equestria. Even the founders themselves.

With a little nudge of her shoulder, she jerked her head toward a picture of Commander Hurricane standing alongside Chancellor Puddinghead, a rather sour glare as his earth pony counterpart tried to force his lips into a smile. “Looks kinda like a couple of my squad mates.”

“Or Pinkie and Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said with a giggle.

Laughing together, they made their way to the opened door at the end of the hall. The idle chatter of familiar voices, Rainbow’s raucous laughter and Cadence cooing playfully as Pinkie Pie mercilessly teased Party Favor, and Shining’s grumbling at how “You just can’t help yourself, can you Cady?”

Oh, dear, that can only bode well, Twilight mused as they came to a stop just outside. “You could stay,” she offered. “I’m sure everypony would be thrilled to meet you.”

Spitfire shook her head once. “I’d love to, hon. But if I’m not back at the hotel before noon, either Fleetfoot and Soarin will end up in prison or they’ll come looking for me like they’re the ones who play ‘responsible’ around the base. Can’t have either of those things happening. Still, there is one thing I’d like to leave you with.”

Before Twilight could voice confusion, Spitfire closed the distance and wrapped a hoof around her neck, pulling her in for a sweet kiss.

As agreed upon, there was no tongue, nor playing of wings over her body. Just their warm chests pressing against one another, and Spitfire’s soft lips flush against her own.

She hummed, her eyes closed as she allowed herself to be lost in the kiss. Time seemed to slow. The floral scent of the shampoo Spitfire borrowed from her bathroom and the sweet taste of her kiss, a flavor she couldn’t quite place, set her heart aflutter.

Spitfire broke the kiss and leaned in to whisper in her ear, “Two part present—kiss was the first, explaining to everypony who just saw is the second! Have fun, hon!” Quick as a flash, Spitfire took hold of her uniform in her mouth and shot off in a flurry of feathers, her teasing laughter echoed down the hall.

Blinking in confusion, Twilight tilted her head. What in Equestria did she—oh, no! Her blood ran cold. Slowly, she turned to look into the dining hall, and found herself met with her friends’, fellow princesses, and brother, each sporting looks telling of shock, amusement, or glee.

And at the center of it all, with a merry twinkle in her eye and a raised eyebrow, was Celestia.

“Well, well,” the Sun Princess drawled, “it looks like you had quite the evening with good Captain Spitfire, my former student. Please, do share with us, dear.”