• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 11,784 Views, 426 Comments

Glow - Carapace



When passions flare and new relationships are begun, it can be difficult to sort things out through the warmth and glow of young, budding love.

  • ...
33
 426
 11,784

2. A Night to Remember

Keeping pace with a Wonderbolt was no easy task, even when they chose a more leisurely pace. Their navy uniform made Spitfire almost indistinguishable from the night sky too, with only the light of the moon serving to illuminate her goldenrod body and orange mane.

She still hadn’t looked back. Somehow, Spitfire knew she had Twilight trailing after her like an eager puppy.

Twilight flew as best as she could with the weight of the dress dragging upon her. I really need to work on this, she thought, flapping her wings faster in hopes of catching up.

Almost as though sensing her intent, Spitfire put on a burst of speed, giving a teasing swish of her tail before shooting off into the night like a bolt loosed from a crossbow.

With a little whine of protest, Twilight pushed herself harder. She knows. She’s still playing that game, just without words. Actions and body language

She watched as Spitfire neared the cloud, slowing considerably in her flight—gliding lazily, yet gracefully, toward the surface.

A similar scene played through her mind. One of her flight lessons, where Rainbow Dash had challenged her to a game of tag involving a few members of the weather team, how those pegasi so loved to glide just out of her reach before speeding back up again.

She wants me to play along. A smirk made its way across her lips, Twilight lit up her horn and focused on the space Spitfire was flying toward. Adjust for speed and distance… factor in optimal tagging range

If Spitfire wanted to play and tease, she’d soon learn that when messing with Twilight Sparkle that she was dealing with a mare who mastered long-range teleportation. And without Rainbow there to enforce her normal “no magic” limitation she had the upper hoof for the first time in the evening.

Shifting herself into position, with her hooves outstretched, she folded her wings and began to fall. In a burst of magenta, Twilight blinked out of existence, reappearing a full pony’s length ahead and slightly above Spitfire.

With a triumphant cry, Twilight tackled Spitfire, driving her down to the fluffy cloud she’d just been hovering over. She placed her hooves on Spitfire’s shoulders and pinned her in place.

Spitfire let out an indignant squawk, her hooves flailed. “Gah! How the—where did you come from?”

Laughing, she tossed her mane. “I’m proficient in several areas of magic, including teleportation! Now—“ her tone shifted, Twilight leaned forward so that their snouts were almost touching and narrowed her eyes “—you teased me.”

“Mhmm.” Spitfire nodded. Her lips curved into a smirk.

“You got me to flirt with you so I’d start loosening up.”

“Two for two.”

“And—And you…” She glanced down at the medals on Spitfire’s uniform, giving an anxious little flick of her tail.

“Yes?”

“You made me think we were gonna kiss,” she whispered weakly.

A hoof cupped her chin, gently forcing her to look into Spitfire’s bright orange eyes. “Hon, I never said we weren’t—I just thought you’d like to take a little flight, so we could go somewhere nice and private.”

Twilight raised a brow, slowly checking the open sky for any hint of watchers. “You call this private?”

“Would you rather I kiss you in front of a bunch of stuffy nobles?” Biting her lip, Twilight shook her head. “Didn’t think so, hon. And I don’t wanna kiss you in front of them either. I’d rather it be special—between us.”

A beat of silence. “You didn’t want them to see?”

Spitfire grinned sheepishly. “Like I said, I don’t like getting pulled in different directions. But, in fairness, I got a little carried away kissing you on the cheek like that. And I doubt us leaving went unnoticed… sorry, ‘bout that.” She made as if to rub at the back of her mane, but couldn’t quite reach. Raising a brow, she gave a meaningful tug against the hoof Twilight had on her shoulder.

Sighing, Twilight drew back and stepped off Spitfire’s shoulders. “I didn’t think of that.”

“Don’t sweat it too much. We were gonna turn heads no matter what, hanging out together and all.” She sat up, brushing bits of cloud fluff off her uniform. With her task finished, she smiled and scooted over to sit next to Twilight. “I’m just glad you decided to give things a shot. Thought I might’ve scared you off a little at first.”

Her feathers ruffled, she looked down at the hem of her dress and chewed on her lip. Don’t say it. Don’t tell her.

Again, Spitfire cupped her chin and slowly turned her head. “I nearly did, I know. And I really am sorry if I made you uncomfortable.”

“Not uncomfortable, just…” Confused. Caught off guard. “Surprised,” she said, before hastily adding, “not that I think little of myself! Just surprised that you find me attractive“

Spitfire chuckled and shook her head. “Oh, Twilight. Ponies’ tastes aren’t all that easy to place into neat little categories. They tend to vary a lot. For example, I don’t particularly care if my girlfriend is all that into athletics. I hope she can respect what I do, and understands how much I love it, but I’m not gonna force her to yell and cheer if I take her to a game.” She leaned in, her snout touched against Twilight’s. “I’d rather find what makes her happy and spend as much time as I can with her, so I can see her smile.”

Twilight fidgeted in place, idly playing with the hem of her dress. “I like reading books.”

“So do I. Always had a thing for adventure stories, especially the classics. Y’know, the hero saves the love of their life from the big, scary monster, they fly off into the sunset and kiss atop a cloud, and the hero promises that they’ll always protect their love.” With a casual shrug, Spitfire continued, “Gotta love the classics.”

“Old pegasus legends,” Twilight pointed out. “That’s the end the story of Whirlwind and an earth pony named Maple—he saw her and fell in love instantly.”

“She was captured by a great dragon, who found her more beautiful than any gem he’d ever seen and claimed her for his horde. Whirlwind snuck into his cave, set Maple free, and fled as fast as he could to get her out before the dragon woke. But…” Spitfire held out a hoof for Twilight to finish.

“The dragon caught his scent, and gave chase. Whirlwind led him up to a patch of rogue thunderheads over the Everfree forest, and kicked them just as the dragon entered!”

Grinning, Spitfire nodded. “Full marks again, hon! You sure know your pegasus lore!”

Finally! Somepony other than her family or Celestia who liked to share in these things! Certainly, the girls would listen and had a few stories they enjoyed, but going back through lore was a thrill! “It was one of my favorites to read with Cadence; Tales of the Founders was another we loved to read. I especially liked the story of how Clover the Clever helped Commander Hurricane trick the diamond dogs to leave the area around the old castle.”

“Right, she tricked them with fool’s gold, didn’t she?” At Twilight’s nod, she gave a triumphant pump of her hoof. “Ha! The ol’ noggin’ hasn’t gone fuzzy on me yet! Fleetfoot and Soarin’, eat your hearts out! See?” She bumped her shoulder against Twilight’s. “This is what I’m talking about. Fun.”

Yes. Fun, and private, she thought, smiling as she noticed that Spitfire hadn’t pulled away, their shoulders still touching. Warm, like her namesake and the burst of flame emblazoned on her flank.

Memories of nights spent huddled up next to Cadence and Shining Armor during their ‘study night campouts’ flashed before her eyes—how they arranged pillows and blankets into a makeshift fort, hiding from any who might try to spy on them.

And other memories came forth, unbidden. Magnificent white wings wrapped around her, holding her close while her teacher groomed her mane and asked what magic she’d studied in her free time.

The urge to move closer, to subtly nudge her shoulder under Spitfire’s beautiful wing and coax it open to wrap around her was almost too tempting. Twilight rallied every bit of her self-control to beat it back.

Don’t force it, she thought, remembering one of Cadence’s many lectures on matters of love. Be natural, be the Twilight I always can, don’t play a part.

Let the conversation flow naturally—Spitfire did say she wanted this to just be two mares having a nice evening together, whether it trended toward friendship or… this.

Whatever this qualified as. Hanging out? Yes, but the flirting and kiss on her cheek were quite a bit different from hanging out with her friends. A date? No. At least, it didn’t seem like one—there had been no prearranged meeting place, it had been presented by Celestia as a way to make a friend and enjoy the night. Although…

Mutual affection and attraction were clearly present, and they had spent time together. So… perhaps a pre-date sort of thing?

Humming to herself, Twilight ground a hoof into the fluffy surface of the cloud. I really should’ve taken notes when Cadence told me these things.

“Problem, hon?” Spitfire’s voice cut through her reverie.

Twilight blinked. “Huh? Oh! No, everything’s fine. Just a little lost in thought—I have a tendency to drift off every now and again.”

“Oh, yeah? Well, I hope they’re good thoughts—especially if they’re about yours truly!”

She stifled a laugh with her hoof. “Yes, good thoughts about you, and, well—“ she gestured between them “—this. I’m just a little unsure of how we classify tonight. It’s not hanging out, and it’s not quite a date…”

“Classifying it? Heh, Dash wasn’t kidding about you; always ready to study something, eh?” Spitfire chuckled, a teasing grin played upon her lips. “All right, well, let’s call it a tryout for now, okay? Tonight is still casual, just you and me feeling each other out. Whatever happens, happens because we both agree on it. Treat each other like adults, ‘kay?”

“Okay.” Still, Twilight ground a hoof into the cloud. Unfamiliar territory, but with a guiding hoof to help her along. “So, next I ask what hobbies you have other than flying and reading.”

Spitfire nodded. “Yeah, that’d be a good start. Nice and easy. Well, believe it or not, I happen to love dancing. I know,” she said, shrugging at the look of incredulity Twilight shot her. “Surprising, eh?”

Blinking owlishly, Twilight tilted her head. “A little, yeah. You mean, like, night club dancing, right? Sort of like what Rainbow Dash and Pinkie do when they go to Vinyl Scratch’s club?”

“I don’t really know who Vinyl Scratch is, but yeah, I like getting down every now and again. It’s ‘Bolts’ tradition to rave after a big show. But a bit more than that—“ she smiled wistfully and looked off toward the moon “—slow, fast, cultural, anything really. It’s a lot like a flight routine.” She turned and winked at Twilight. “Instead, I get to slow down and do it with a partner, though.”

“Not counting your team in that?”

Giving her a mock glare, Spitfire lightly brushed her feathers across Twilight’s back, garnering a little squeak of protest. “Cheeky mare! You know what I mean!” Another nudge of her shoulder against Twilight’s, again not quite moving away. Amusement danced in her eyes. “Sometimes, yeah, my teammates are decent partners. They’re cool enough to go with me to parties, and they do a great job of keeping appearances that we’re together and don’t wanna be bothered.”

“Sort of like we were doing earlier,” Twilight noted.

“In a way, yeah, but that was more of an act so neither of us would get pulled along—“ Spitfire rubbed at her mane, and gave an uneasy chuckle “—strictly wing ponies looking out for one another, y’know?”

She bit her lip, mulling over the notion. “I guess it makes sense. None of you really enjoy the attention, do you?”

“Eh, not all of us.” Shrugging, Spitfire screwed up her muzzle and looked skyward. “Firestorm’s always got time to do an interview. Fleetfoot and Soarin love signing autographs for foals. Not that I mind doing either of those things, I just need a little ‘Spits time’ every now and then. I like to unwind.”

Certainly a familiar notion. Fluttershy had a rather similar outlook on going to big events—she needed hours before to get herself ready to deal with walking through crowds, and then time spent either with the girls or doting on Angel Bunny to relax after. Socializing with strangers can be rather taxing, she thought. Just greeting ponies at the Gala had been difficult with regard to maintaining appearances, not to mention remembering all the names.

Good. A pony who knew and understood herself—Spitfire had her flaws, but she recognized them and took steps to fix things. The very sort of pony Twilight could respect.

Her tail swished happily, brushing against something soft and silky. She flicked her ear, perplexed, and looked over her shoulder.

A bright blush rose in her cheeks, Twilight felt her breath clench in her chest as she caught sight of her tail touching Spitfire’s—deep purple, soft violet, and pink overlapping with a streak of wildfire against the cloud. O-Oh, my. Slowly, she turned to face Spitfire, an apology fresh on the tip of her tongue.

Spitfire gazed back at her, smiling brightly as though nothing were out of the ordinary. “So, what else does Twilight Sparkle do in her free time?” she asked. “And no using ‘study’ as an answer—I want specifics, hon.”

She felt that fiery tail loop over hers. The apology died on her lips. She likes it. “I like learning spells, and trying to craft new ones is rather fun, too.”

“Ah, cool. Is that what you studied under Princess Celestia?”

“For the most part, yes.” She nodded, licking her dried lips. So close together! “But then she started me on my study of the magic of friendship when she sent me to Ponyville, I met the girls, and, well, the rest is history!” Her wings fluttered, the tips of her primaries brushed against Spitfire’s

Spitfire gave a sidelong glance at the contact, but kept her reply to a mere hum and an appraising nod. “Nice. You’ll have to show me some of your work at some point. I’d be interested to see what sort of stuff you dabble in.”

Twilight’s ears perked up. “You want to read about magic?”

“You got it, hon.”

A beat.

“Why?”

“Just because I’m not a unicorn doesn’t mean I don’t have an interest. Besides, it’s not like pegasi and earth ponies don’t have their own magic.” Spitfire fixed her with a sly smirk. “I seem to recall you had a rather healthy knowledge of flight aspects and how to work an anemometer before you ever got these beauties.” Her feathers ran softly over Twilight’s, tickling and teasing her primaries.

Oh gosh! Twilight had to bite her lip to stifle a gasp, but couldn’t quite keep the squeak out of her voice. “It’s always been an interest!” she replied in a rush.

“I understand. And magic is something that fascinates me—even though I don’t get to study it as often as I’d like. More of a hobby, I suppose.” Another nudge of her shoulder, and a waggle of her brows. “But if all goes well tonight, I’ll have a chance to read your work, so I’ve got something to look forward to!”

“If you’re interested, I don’t see why not,” Twilight replied, half focused on the words, half on the light brushing against the tip of her tail. Warm and close. I could reach over and touch her hoof… or run my feathers over hers… “I’d be happy to share a bit.”

Grinning, Spitfire nodded. “Definitely. Now, I’m curious. You mentioned these hobbies of yours—“ her sly smirk was back in place, she leaned closer, almost touching snouts “—but not a single mention of singing practice! I know you’ve gotta put in some work to have a voice Canterlotters still talk about!”

Twilight snorted. She threw back her head and laughed. “Back to singing again?” she teased. “Thought you weren’t going to press the issue!”

“I can’t help it! Your voice just sounds too nice when talking.” She furrowed her brows, adopting a stern look akin to one Shining used on his recruits. “Clearly, you’re forcing my hoof, Princess. I’m afraid I’m a mare who can only resist temptation for so long.”

Another laugh, her shoulders shook as she gave Spitfire a feeble shove. “Oh, go away, you cheeky mare!”

“Nope!” Spitfire quickly looped a hoof around hers, and tugged her forward.

Twilight let out a squeak as she was pulled into a hug. Her feathers ruffled as she found her chest pressed against Spitfire’s, their snouts touched together. She fought the urge to lick her lips again. I could just lean forward, tilt to the side a little, and… Not yet.

Soft yellow feathers ghosted over hers. Spitfire unfurled her wings, slowly, almost playfully, wrapping them around Twilight.

A shuddering gasp escaped her lips. Oh my gosh, they are soft! She arched her back, and pressed herself snugly against Spitfire’s barrel.

“How’s that?” Spitfire whispered huskily. “Soft as you thought?”

Shaking her head, Twilight managed to stammer out, “B-Better! You m-must preen very, very well!”

“Thanks, hon. I do my best—proper wing care is as important as brushing your teeth, in my book.” She pulled back a bit to look Twilight over, an odd smile played on her lips. Not quite teasing or sly, more warm and affectionate.

One mare looking fondly at another.

Chuckling, she drew closer. “Look at us—up on a cloud, all alone, with my wings wrapped around you. All we need is a wicked dragon laying defeated nearby and me vowing my undying love and devotion, and we’re a regular Whirlwind and Maple!”

Twilight’s feathers ruffled and fluffed, warmth flowed through her—from the ends of her feathers to her chest, from her cheeks to the tips of her ears. Likening us to their story… After that came the…

She felt Spitfire shift her hooves up, wrapping and resting them lightly on the back of her neck.

Oh gosh…

“Still want that kiss, hon?”

“Yes,” she replied, without hesitation.

“First time?”

A single shake of her head. “A colt kissed me under the mistletoe at school, and another mare kissed me in Ponyville, but she was drunk…”

“No worries. I’ll just try to make our first special,” she purred. “Ready?”

Twilight nodded.

“Okay. Take a deep breath—“

She breathed in through her snout.

“—tilt your head to your right—your other right, hon!”

Oh gosh, it’s happening!

“—pucker your lips a little—“

She licked her lips. Butterflies danced in her stomach. Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!

“—close your eyes, and here we go.”

Soft lips pressed against hers. Twilight felt her heart leap into her throat, time seemed to slow down as she gave in to the kiss.

Warmth. Spitfire’s breath on her face, their soft coats touching and rubbing against one another, a lock of fiery orange mane tickling between her eyes. So intimate, but so innocent—a chaste kiss, rather similar to the one under the mistletoe all those years ago. But with so much more in it.

Special.

Spitfire broke away, ending the kiss all too soon. She drew back and fixed Twilight with a grin. “So, that about what you expected earlier, hon?”

Her hooves trembled, Twilight slowly let her hooves wander up Spitfire’s chest, running over the smooth, ironed uniform and touching the well-polished medals. She licked her lips, Spitfire’s taste and a hint of the rainbow mixer still fresh on them.

More.

Those old books, conversations with Cadence, and Rarity gossiping with the girls flitted through her mind. When lovers kissed, it was a lot more than the chaste kisses of foalhood puppy love. Deeper, more sensual…

Passionate.

Is that what they were? Lovers? No, Spitfire said this was a tryout of sorts—feeling each other out.

Feel it out. “Not quite,” she whispered. Drawing close, she gave a tiny smile, snaking her hooves around Spitfire’s neck before giving one sudden, quick pull. Capturing Spitfire’s lips, Twilight tilted her head further and pressed herself closer.

Her hooves wrapped tighter, she unfurled her wings just enough to touch against the insides of Spitfire’s, lightly teasing against them. A snug embrace, warm, hooves wrapped tight, and feathers touching—just like pegasus love stories. Next came deepening the kiss… somehow…

She could feel Spitfire grinning into the kiss, and a little snort through her snout. One hoof pulled tighter against the back of her neck as Spitfire reciprocated, while the other slid up to cradle her head.

Slowly, playfully, Spitfire opened her mouth and drew her lips against Twilight’s—tickling, massaging, a sensation so unfamiliar but so very pleasant.

Just like all those love stories said, just like Cadence said.

Twilight sighed through her snout, giving a hum of content from the back of her throat. Breathtaking, that was the word. Her chest filled with warmth, as if her heart were alight with the fire that danced in Spitfire’s eyes. Wonderful. Better than I ever imagined.

Breaking the kiss, she smiled brightly at Spitfire, stealing a quick peck to her nose like she’d seen Shining do with Cadence so many times before.

Crossing her eyes, Spitfire wrinkled her muzzle, before grinning broadly. No words were needed, she caught the hint.

Continue.

Spitfire placed a hoof on her chest and lightly pushed, leaning with her to slowly lay her back upon the soft, fluff of cloud. She pushed forward with her hind legs until her chest laid atop Twilight’s. Deftly slipping her hoof out from under Twilight’s head, she cupped her cheeks and closed the distance.

Warm, soft, the taste of rainbow mixer. Spitfire’s hot breath washing over her muzzle.

Twilight let her eyes flutter shut, and tilted her head back. Again, she felt Spitfire’s lips drawing over hers, the light suckling as teasing and playful as the mare atop her. And then there was something else—something warm and wet ran slowly over her top lip, poking and coaxing them open. Curious, she parted her lips, and let out a squeak of surprise when it quickly slid inside and touched against her tongue.

Hers. Her tongue.

Slowly, gently, Spitfire’s tongue massaged against hers—playfully stroking along the side until Twilight maneuvered to meet it, and then slipping it beneath.

The brilliant spice mixing with smooth strawberry of the rainbow mixer they’d shared, and an unfamiliar taste, unique to Spitfire. Indescribable, like nothing she’d ever sampled before.

But it was good. Whatever it was—this taste of Spitfire—she wanted more, so much more!

She opened her mouth as wide as she could, and pulled Spitfire in tighter. More. Deeper. Twilight timidly poked at Spitfire’s tongue with hers, imitating the way she stroked and teased all the way until she brushed against Spitfire’s lips.

A low hum, a sign of content. Spitfire pressed down upon her and stepped over, straddling her waist. Her hooves trailed down Twilight’s chest, around to massage the joints and muscles where her wings met her back. Another grin, a breathy chuckle through her snout as Twilight arched her back and squealed.

So warm, so close—closer than ever. Twilight felt her eyes roll back into her head as Spitfire found a spot at the base of her tongue to tease. Hooves all over… Breathtaking.

Unclasping her hooves, Twilight let them wander over Spitfire’s body—down her chest, trailing to her sides on their way toward the end of the navy Wonderbolts uniform, searching for those flame lick cutie marks on either flank—

But Spitfire cut her off at the pass, grinning into the kiss and giving a little “Ah, ah, ah!” into her mouth. She pulled back, licking her lips to clean off the tiny strand of drool connecting them, and shook her head. “I appreciate the initiative, but no.”

Twilight laid her ears against her scalp, ducking her head until her chin touched her chest. “Too far?”

“For me? No, I’m cool with it if you are, but that’s a ‘no fly zone’ out here, hon,” Spitfire scolded playfully, giving a meaningful look about the skyline. “We’re nice and alone right now, but that doesn’t mean it’ll stay that way for too long. Never know when another couple on a nighttime flight might come up with a similar idea—believe me, there’s nothing more awkward than that.”

She untucked her chin, flicking an ear at the wording. A question came unbidden to the forefront of her mind, curiosity at the experience. Not my place, Twilight scolded, giving herself a mental slap. Those memories and relationships are her own business, prying would be rude.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight mumbled weakly. “I got carried away…”

“Happens to the best of us,” Spitfire replied, leaning forward to steal a kiss to her nose. She gave an uneasy smile, her ears drooped. “In all fairness, I probably shouldn’t have kissed you like that, Twilight.” She sighed and shook her head. “Out in the open like this, and probably too fast—“

A purple hoof shot forward and covered her mouth. Twilight looked off to the side. “I—No. I liked it. A lot.” Far more than you know.

“You’re sure?” Though she wasn’t looking, she could feel Spitfire’s quizzical gaze on her. Searching her.

Twilight turned back and gave a weak nod. “It was… fun. It felt good, and you were… brilliant.”

Spitfire smiled and shook her head again. “You’re too sweet for your own good, hon.” Leaning forward, she nosed against Twilight’s cheek, and stole a light, fluffy kiss before settling in to lay her head on Twilight’s shoulder.

A frown marred Twilight’s muzzle, her grip on Spitfire’s waistline held firm. The night was just too perfect, so very much like all the stories and talks she sat through.

“Out in the open like this…”

If only they weren’t in the open, she could have more of the same. More kisses, falling asleep in Spitfire’s embrace, and waking up together in the morning.

But leaving their cloud bed meant letting go of each other to fly. A short flight if they returned to Canterlot, but still robbing her that precious warmth and Spitfire’s rhythmic breathing.

Her ears perked up. Unless… A bright smile split her muzzle, they didn’t have to let go at all! She had just the spell for a situation like this!

“Spitfire?”

“Hmm?”

“Could you do me a favor and close your eyes?”

Spitfire raised her head, regarding her with a quizzical stare. “Uh, why?”

“Just trust me. Please?” She pushed her lip out and widened her eyes, her very best pouty face.

With a chuckle and a roll of her eyes, Spitfire replied, “Hon, you have no idea how many ponies have tried that face on me. But—“ she kissed Twilight’s nose “—if it’d make you happy, sure.” She closed her eyes, and mocked trying to look around. “Well, the lights are out! What next, hon?” Twilight fought back a giggle of her own as she lit her horn, her magenta aura engulfed both of them. “Hang on, I hear something. I know that sound—are you casting?”

“Yes. On the count of three, take a deep breath and hold on tight.

“Wait a minute, what spell?

“Teleportation! One—” I wonder if she’s done this before.

“Teleportation—huh?” Her brows furrowed. “Why?”

“Privacy! Two!”

“Oh! Oh!” A bright blush tinged Spitfire’s muzzle, her tongue ran across her lips. “Hon, if you’re joshing me, that’s just mean.”

Twilight leaned forward, brushing her lips against Spitfire’s and holding for a moment. She drew back and whispered, “Not a chance, hon. I mean it. Hold on tight, take a deep breath.”

Spitfire grinned and laid down on her chest, wrapping her hooves tighter as she took in a deep breath through her nose.

Unfurling her wings, Twilight wrapped Spitfire up and held her close. So warm. “Three!” In a brilliant flash of magenta, the mares blinked out of existence.

The deep blue of the night sky gave way to bleached white walls, a high arching ceiling, and a tall, paned window. For a second, there was nothing—no cloud fluff holding her, just herself, Spitfire, and dead air.

She squeaked in surprised when they dropped, landing with a soft whomp on the mattress, plumes of dust sent flying into the air by their landing.

Off target! Shoot! “Sorry!”

Pushing herself up, Spitfire grinned. “Are you kidding? That was a heck of a rush! I mean—holy—“ she looked around the room as if checking to make sure it was real “—we went from middle of the sky to… er…” Bringing a hoof up, she covered her mouth, her muzzle wrinkled. “An old library or something? Why’s there a bed here?”

Huh? Dust tickled her nose, she wrinkled her muzzle and gave a snort to try to clear out her sinuses. What in Equestria? “No, I was aiming for my bed, where did—oh, darn it!” Twilight brought a hoof to her forehead. “This is my old room!”

“No worries, hon.” Spitfire’s soft lips pressed against her forehead, lingering a moment before she pulled away. Sparing another quick glance around the room, she smiled. “Little bit of dust—“ she waggled her brows playfully “—but a nice place. Student days?”

“Yeah. I lived here before Celestia had me move to Ponyville—she gave it to me when I continued on in graduate school.”

“Nice! But, if you don’t mind, too much dust kinda messes with my sinuses…”

“Oh! Yes, of course! Hang on!” Twilight closed her eyes and drew in a deep, calming breath. Ignore her warmth, focus. Destination is the suite in the south tower that Celestia gave me for my visits, bedroom—preferably on the bed, not above it. “Okay, ready?”

Spitfire settled down on top of Twilight again, nodding into her chest. “Go for it, hon.”

“All right. One, two, thr—“ just as she finished, Spitfire quickly darted up and cheekily kissed her on the nose “—eep!

Her horn flashed, the dusty old room disappeared in a burst of magenta. Vertigo, the feeling of falling onto the soft, Celestia-sized mattress. Soft pink walls, a high arching ceiling, and drapes matching her coat.

Frowning, Twilight fixed Spitfire with a narrowed-eyed stare. “You distracted me!”

“Just giving you a little bit of training, help with that focus!” Dotting her muzzle with another kiss, Spitfire sat back and gave a low whistle. “One of the Royal Suites?” She rubbed her eyes, before taking a second look to confirm the sight. “Quite the setup you’ve got!”

“Thanks. Celestia had it prepared for my stay.” Twilight sat up with her, their chests touched together again. “So… here we are,” she said lamely.

Spitfire laid her hooves on Twilight’s shoulders, her grin falling to an affectionate smile. “Here we are,” she purred in reply, her eyes alight with mischief again. Her hooves snaked around Twilight’s neck again, pulling her in close.

Hot breath washed over her face, the scent of rainbow mixer, so strong she could almost taste it—and that of Spitfire’s mouth.

Unbidden, her tongue ran along her lips. More. But how to get more? Just go for it, like Rainbow Dash might say? Or be coy, like Cadence and Rarity, and set the bait for Spitfire? There certainly wasn’t the time to buy flowers and gifts as Shining had done—besides, she didn’t even know the sort of things Spitfire liked outside of old legends, dancing, the study of magic, and, apparently, herself.

Not to mention a want to hear her sing.

Before she could give voice to her thoughts, Spitfire caught her in a warm kiss—chaste and sweet like their first, but with something a bit more. The way Spitfire pressed her lips against hers, how one hoof cradled her head while the other drifted up to stroke at the back of her mane, the ticklish sensation of those magnificent golden feathers brushing against hers, it all sent Twilight on a flight above the clouds, without a care in the world!

A bit of daring, she parted her lips and let her tongue run along Spitfire’s—just as the older mare had done before.

Spitfire hummed appreciatively and opened her mouth wide, tilting her head to the left and pressing in close. Her tongue darted out to meet Twilight’s, the tastes still strong.

Rainbow mixer and Spitfire. Unique, and tasty, she thought. Her hooves leapt to Spitfire’s side, just beneath her wings, trailing downward again.

But she stopped at Spitfire’s waist. She said no before. Twilight brought her hooves around to the front, toward the mare’s chest. The thick uniform fabric felt almost unpleasant—the warmth and soft coat hidden beneath such an inconvenient, cumbersome piece.

Twilight broke the kiss. She panted, her breath mixing with Spitfire’s. Laying her hoof on the uniform and giving a little tug against one of the buttons, she asked, “Can I?”

“Just don’t pop the buttons!” Spitfire said before pulling her in for another kiss, her warm tongue in Twilight’s mouth, exploring every bit it could reach. Her hooves trailed down Twilight’s back, one stopping to play with her sash, the other continued on down the small of her back.

Oh gosh! She squeaked into the kiss as Spitfire’s hoof neared her dock, circling under and coaxing her tail up. Warm, almost burning beneath her coat, her very being.

Her hooves fumbled over the buttons—she didn’t dare use magic, lest she just tear the uniform off Spitfire in her haste. A shudder ran through her as the hem of her dress was lifted, the cool air teased her burning thighs.

That warm tongue, the passion and hunger in Spitfire’s kiss, the sudden looseness of her dress as the sash came undone, and a hoof slowly pulling her dress up over her waist—Twilight blocked it out as best she could and finally managed to get one button free.

Too long! Her horn flashed. The front of Spitfire’s uniform tore open, gold buttons popped out of their seams. Her hooves leapt to the soft yellow coat. Warm. So very warm.

Spitfire gasped, her tongue retreated into her mouth as she broke the kiss. “You bad girl,“ she growled playfully. “I thought we agreed no popping my buttons.”

“I’m sorry, but…” Twilight’s ears laid flat against her head. “They were being difficult.”

“Were they now?” Spitfire drew close, kissing her nose, then moving to her cheek, pressing forward and bringing her muzzle up toward her ear, trailing kisses and affectionate licks along the way.

Hot breath tickled Twilight’s ear. She bit her lip to stifle the whimper in the back of her throat, her eyes crossed and fluttered shut as Spitfire licked along the outside of her ear. Her wings were coaxed through the slits in her dress, the hem reached her chest.

“I’m gonna have to make you pay for that, hon,” Spitfire whispered, before nipping at Twilight’s ear. “Four buttons, four cute little squeaks.”

Another slow lick, and a fluffy kiss. The hem of her dress pulled over her head, a swish through the air as Rarity’s masterpiece was tossed unceremoniously to the carpet.

Twilight felt a firm hoof push against her chest, gently guiding her to lay down. Her back met with the soft mattress once again, her head lay against plush pillows. Oh, Celestia, this is happening! She took a deep breath through her nose and let her lips curve into a broad grin.

The raging inferno beneath her skin spurred her on. Twilight splayed her wings, gazing up at Spitfire through half-lidded eyes as she slowly licked her lips and held her hooves open.

Chuckling, Spitfire touched Twilight’s hind hoof, and slowly ran a fore hoof down her inner thigh, gently coaxing them open. “Dear Celestia, where have you been all my life?” she asked as she lowered herself on top of Twilight.

Muzzle to muzzle again, nosing together, they held each other close. Twilight wracked her brain desperately—none of her books, none of her chats with Cadence or her friends told her where to go from here. Certainly, she knew what, but how to get there was beyond her.

Spitfire’s smile fell. “You okay? You look a little lost, Twilight.”

Oh shoot! A shake of her head. “I’m f-fine! Just, well, you see, this is… that is to say…” Her hooves trembled. “It’s my first time going this far,” she mumbled.

“Do you want to stop?” She made to object, but Spitfire placed a hoof over her mouth. “Being serious, not playing. Look me in the eye, Twilight Sparkle, and be honest with me—more importantly, be honest with yourself. Do you really want this right now?”

“I do!” Twilight blurted. “I just—I don’t really, er…” She bit her lip, her ears drooped. “I don’t know how to do this—or go about getting to the point where I can do this with a pony. And I want—I really like everything tonight, and I really like you!”

Spitfire nodded solemnly, propping her hooves on either side of Twilight’s head. “I know, I feel the same, Twilight. It’s your first time going this far—if I’m your first, I want it to be special, not something we both regret.”

Though her words seemed strong, there was a flicker of something else in Spitfire’s eyes. Desire, still there, but mixed with anxiety—she really was worried.

Her jaw set. I’m not second guessing this time! Before Spitfire could move away, Twilight darted forward and wrapped her hooves around her shoulders. “Tonight has been special,” she whispered, stealing a quick kiss. “I met a wonderful mare, who says the nicest things, teaches me how to flirt and play, and teases me until I tackle her to the clouds and demand a kiss—I want this, Spitfire. I-I want you. Every bit of you.”

A hoof slid beneath Twilight’s chin, softly caressing. “You’re sure?”

She smiled and stole another kiss. “Please, Spitfire. I want this, I don’t know how to do any of this, but I want it so badly!”

“All right,” Spitfire said with a nod, her smile back in place. Her hoof slid up to touch Twilight’s cheek. “I’ll lead, but—“ she held up her free hoof “—there’s one rule, okay?”

“What’s that?”

“If, for whatever reason, you start to have second thoughts, you speak up. No hiding it, no thinking I’ll get angry and going for my sake—it’s for both of us, or neither of us. Deal?” With no alternative, Twilight nodded. “Good girl! Now, that said, we need a word… Oh! Red! That’s it! If you wanna stop, say ‘red’!”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, cocking her head to the side. “Why red?”

Grinning, Spitfire pressed their lips together, a warm kiss, playful and sincere as ever. But before Twilight could return it, she pulled back and licked her muzzle. “Because code red means bad things in the military—“ she placed a hoof on Twilight’s chest, gently pushing her back again “—and for the Bolts, it means one of us is about to crash.”

Twilight let out a shuddering gasp and spread her legs wider so Spitfire could lay belly-to-belly on top of her, wrapping around the older mare’s waist. Oh gosh yes… please!

Spitfire drew in close, nosing beneath her chin. “I don’t want to make us crash, Twilight—but I need you to be my wingpony, here. If I’m about to send us down, you gotta let me know. You’re the most important member of my team, got it?”

“Yes, ma’am!” Twilight replied breathily. “Wingpony Twilight Sparkle reporting for duty!”

“You’re too cute.” Without further ado, she drew back just enough to catch Twilight in another kiss.

The warm tongue flicked against her lips. There was no hesitance this time—she parted her lips, happily welcoming Spitfire’s tongue into her mouth with her own. The warmth, the taste, the very scent of the mare atop her ignited the fire within her chest.

More.

Feathers met soft, purple coat, stroking and teasing. Twilight moaned into the kiss, and arched her back. The fire burning within so warm, begging for more. Her hooves slid down Spitfire’s sides, all the way down to the flame lick cutie mark adorning those shapely flanks. Taught muscles, but soft to the touch, begging to be squeezed and massaged.

As hypnotic now as it had been in the ballroom.

Spitfire’s sudden, sharp inhale made her grin against the kiss, the perfect chance to sneak her tongue across into enemy territory and sample that delectable taste again.

But just as soon as she pressed her advantage, Spitfire’s wing traced the inside of her left thigh, its slow, tickling touch sent shivers through her body. A squeal tore from her throat, her hooves gripped Spitfire’s bottom like a lifeline.

Spitfire chuckled throatily, drawing back to whisper in her ear, “You liked my wings back in the ballroom and up on that cloud—you’re gonna love ‘em in about a minute. And this is just the warmup act, rookie. I want you all loosened up and ready for the big show so you can bring your A game!”


Twilight let her head rest against Spitfire’s chest, the rise and fall of her lover’s body as she breathed relaxing, like a metronome slowly lulling her to sleep. The fire within died down to a calm flame, still warming her very being, but sated. For the first time in her life, she felt…

Euphoric? Was that the proper word?

The scent of sweat and sex hung thick on the air. Her coat still wet from waist down, and her muzzle dampened with the taste of Spitfire and… Spitfire clinging to it.

Her tongue darted out to lick around her lips, that wetness, the sweet taste, the feeling of Spitfire’s warm body atop hers—grinding, moaning, hooves, mouths, and wings all over one another, lost to their most basic instincts.

“That was—you…” she began, placing a soft kiss on Spitfire’s fluffy chest “… no words. I know no words for it.”

Chuckling, Spitfire kissed the top of her mane, right near her horn. “Me? You jumped straight from rookie to a full-fledged wingpony tonight, Twilight. Bit rough at first, and very messy all throughout—“ a pause, Twilight suspected she was licking her lips to taste the dampness around her own muzzle “—but you came into your own quite nicely.”

Twilight giggled at the word choice and tiredly threw in, “And then I came!”

A snort, Spitfire placed a hoof on the back of Twilight’s mane and gave an affectionate tussle. “Yes, you did. And I did, too.” Silence, Twilight could feel her shifting around as if looking. “Hmm, we did make quite a mess. You wanna take a shower before we call it a night, or—“

“Too tired,” she mumbled in reply, snuggling into the warm chest. “Don’t think I could move anyway.”

“Fair enough. Go ahead and go to sleep, hon.” Soft feathers ghosted over her sides as Spitfire wrapped her up again.

“No blankets?”

“They’re wet and on the floor, and after that little magic display of yours in the second round, I think body heat will be quite enough.” Another kiss to the top of her head, this time closer to her ears. “I’m certainly not complaining.” Her hoof began to softly stroke at Twilight’s mane. Spitfire began to hum a soft, lilting melody, timing her strokes to the song.

With a smile, Twilight nodded into her companion’s chest. “Okay.” Planting one last kiss, she closed her eyes, and let the soothing strokes of Spitfire’s hoof calm her.

But something about the melody nagged at her. Something from one of her culture studies classes. Where was it from?

“Spitfire?”

“Hmm?”

“The song. Where’s it from?”

“Mustangia, hon” Twilight could hear the smile in her voice, one she came to match as she again felt Spitfire’s lips press against her mane. “Ma used to hum it to me whenever I had trouble sleeping. You, er, don’t mind, do you?”

She shook her head, yawning into Spitfire’s coat. “No. It’s really nice of you to share it.”

“My pleasure. Close your eyes and get some rest. I’ll see you in the morning, Twilight.”

Twilight sighed in content and let her eyelids droop shut, the melody and soft caress of Spitfire’s hoof set her adrift to the realm of dreams, thoughts of a wonderful night shared with an even more wonderful mare lingered in her mind.