• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 11,784 Views, 428 Comments

Glow - Carapace



When passions flare and new relationships are begun, it can be difficult to sort things out through the warmth and glow of young, budding love.

  • ...
33
 428
 11,784

12. Dinner With the Night Princess

Spitfire licked her dried lips, her eyes wandered over Canterlot Castle’s foyer, flitting from splendorous paintings of battles fought and deeds of kindness from ages ago to the architecture itself, even to the stony-faced expression worn by each of the Royal Guard.

Spitfire rubbed the back of her neck. Though they all kept their eyes straight ahead, she could feel their gazes on her.

It’s like they know, or something. She gave a crooked smile and pinned back her ears. Did Shining tell his entire friggin’ force that I was dating his little sister?

Come to think of it, that wasn’t entirely out of the question. If somepony tried dating Blaze or Rapid, she’d have the top squad line the main hallway on base in full force so the daft fools would have to endure the same, add in a few choice words and threats, of course.

Her wings rustled. Spitfire tried not to tap a hoof against the polished tile floor, she drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes. Royalty was supposed to be waited on, but one wasn’t supposed to look like they were waiting for royalty to appear.

That much had been drilled into her when she first made it into the Wonderbolts’ officer school—never make one of the princesses feel like they’ve inconvenienced you. They are important, their time is infinitely more important, and, what’s more, you answer to them.

It didn’t help her nerves that her Class A uniform jacket was currently sitting in a crumpled heap in her suite closet, with its buttons still missing.

Her mind wandered back to that night in the gardens, a heated blush colored her cheeks as she remembered that teasing smirk and the way the Night Princess so casually offered her …

Spitfire felt her heart skip a beat. Her ears pinned flat against her scalp.

“Perhaps you would prefer a taste of Twilight’s flower, then?”

She was almost certain she would burst into flames in the middle of the foyer. Princess Luna knew. Cirrus, even Princess Celestia seemed to know something was up!

Was that why she’d been asked to dine with Princess Luna, and Twilight with Princess Celestia? One princess to put the fear of Nightmare Moon in her, the other to hold Twilight close under wing?

“Be at ease, Captain. Methinks such stress will put gray in your mane before you reach your thirtieth year!”

Spitfire let out a yelp and took flight, her heart raced. The sound of raucous laughter reached her ears.

Below, Princess Luna gaze up at her, a mischievous smile playing upon her lips and her eyes dancing with mirth. “A bit skittish, aren’t we, Captain?”

Sighing, Spitfire slowly lowered herself to land before her princess. She bowed low. “Sorry, Princess Luna. I was lost in thought and I didn’t hear you approach.”

If possible, those teal eyes seemed to light up even more. “No trouble at all,” Luna replied, waving a hoof. “I’m quite talented at stealth, Captain Spitfire. Something I fear you’ll find yourself quite familiar with, given your blossoming relationship with my young friend and fellow princess. Admittedly, I was hoping to see how you might react to a bit of a scare.” Her smile tugged into a grin. “As the young ponies would say, you should’ve seen your face.”

Spitfire gave a weak chuckle as she stood up straight. A princess who loved tricks?

Her thoughts returned to their talk, how Princess Luna delighted in teasing her and found her reaction upon realizing she’d fallen asleep entertaining.

Perhaps she shouldn’t be so surprised.

“Y-Yeah, I guess so.” Grimacing, Spitfire let her amber eyes fall to the floor. “I’m sorry I’ve appeared before you out of uniform this evening, Princess Luna. The buttons popped out due to a bit of … um …”

Princess Luna raised an eyebrow. “Clumsy hooves?” she offered coyly.

Spitfire swallowed a lump, forcing herself to return Princess Luna’s smile with a very wide, very forced grin. “Yes! That’s exactly it! Clumsy hooves, late night after the Gala, you know how it is!” She shrugged her shoulders and fluffed her wings, trying her best to appear casual. “But I’m sure you don’t want me to bore you with the details.”

“Hmm, well, perhaps not all of them.” Princess Luna stepped closer until her larger frame was flush against Spitfire’s left side, she leaned down to whisper, “Would you like me to pretend I think it was your hooves that ruined your jacket, or perhaps I could interest you in swinging by the gardens for a quick snack on Twilight’s violets as an appetizer?”

With a strangled squeak, Spitfire took a big step to her right. “I—uh—Dinner!” she managed to stammer out. “Dinner! Right, we’re supposed to do that thing!”

“Indeed we are.” Giggling, Princess Luna shrugged. “I suppose the violets can wait.”

Oh, Celestia she’s gonna try to make me burst into flames before we even get to dinner. Flicking her tail, she looked away. “So, um, are we supposed to go to the dining hall again—oh, wait, that’s probably where Twilight and the others are …”

“Correct. I would’ve preferred we dine in, but my sister called dibs, as it were.” Princess Luna nodded toward the door. “So, I figured we could eat at a rather nice Neighponese restaurant on Moonlight Road. My niece recommended it rather highly, as did her husband, and I have yet to have the chance to try. Would that be agreeable to you?”

Spitfire bobbed her head. “Whatever you say, Princess. I’m honored to dine with you.”

Princess Luna’s smile faltered for a second, her brows knitted together. She wrinkled her nose and sighed, then beckoned Spitfire to follow her out the door. “Come along, Captain. I have a carriage ready for us.”

Blinking, Spitfire tilted her head. Had she said something wrong? Was she supposed to bow when she agreed to Princess Luna’s choice?

She shook herself and bounded after the princess. Whether or not she’d misspoken, Spitfire knew for certain she wasn’t supposed to dawdle. Royalty was meant to be waited on.

They weren’t supposed to wait on her.


Spitfire had dined with the princesses in the past, but it was rarely a one-on-one situation. If it ever was, she would always be sitting across from Princess Celestia on one of the balconies in Canterlot Castle while they discussed the next show or some of the prospects she was looking into bringing up.

Never before had she sat across from Princess Luna without the elder princess close by, let alone in a fancy Neighponese restaurant like Fuyu no Tsuki.

“Winter Moon,” as the princess seated on the cushion across from her had so happily supplied.

She shifted, trying her best to be subtle as she struggled to make herself comfortable on the cushion while Princess Luna looked over the menu.

Her eyes darted around the room to each of the Princess’ guards, clad in their deep purple armor as they stood at post—two to each entrance, one by the three windows, and one a mere three paces from Princess Luna herself.

“You should relax,” Princess Luna said without looking up from her menu. “Such posture will make your bones ache when you get older.”

With a yelp, Spitfire sat up straight. “Yes, Your Highness!”

Princess Luna sighed and lowered her menu. She folded her hooves, her brows knitted together as she stared silently at Spitfire for a moment. “There’s no need to be so formal and stiff in my presence,” she said, a ghost of a smile flitted across her muzzle. “I promise I won’t bite.”

“R-Right. Of course not.” Spitfire forced a smile, but her ears drooped low. Her wings unfurled and fluffed, ready to wrap around like twin, downy shields. The memory of their conversation was still fresh in her mind, both the subject …

And how it transitioned seamlessly from the waking world to her own dream.

The menu!

Spitfire snatched it off the table and quickly brought it before her face. Come on, breathe, she scolded herself. Pull your head out of the clouds and treat this like a flight routine. That’s all this is. A flight routine. With a princess. A princess with the power to walk into your dreams.

Maybe focusing on what she wanted to eat would help ease her frayed nerves.

Her eyes wandered over the page. While Neighponese food wasn’t necessarily her favorite, she’d tried it once or twice before. The taste was certainly exotic, and the use of shellfish and fish was rather similar to a few gryphons she’d met on international tours.

Shrimp and scallops were usually a safer bet, in her experience. Not that fish was bad, but some dishes tended to leave the head in place.

I could do without my food staring back at me while I eat it.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed their waitress approach to take their orders. Princess Luna greeted the mare cordially, slipping into Neighponese with ease, much to her surprise. After a quick byplay, that left the younger mare’s cheeks tinged a rosy hue and bowing repeatedly, it was Spitfire’s turn.

“Uh …” Shoot. “Can I just get the scallop dinner with the vegetable mix and rice?”

“Hai—Pardon me. Yes, ma’am.” The waitress bowed. “And for your drink? Or will you be joining Her Highness in trying our plum sake?”

Spitfire’s gaze flitted to the menu again, then to Princess Luna. Perhaps a stronger drink might be helpful here. “Sure, I’ll give it a shot.”

Princess Luna smiled. “Excellent.” She turned to the waitress and added a few more words in Neighponese that made the mare bow lower, then scurry away as fast as her hooves could carry her.

Raising a brow, Spitfire glanced after her. “Geez, she moved like her tail was on fire.”

“Her family owns the restaurant,” Princess Luna said. “I told her that I found the aesthetic quite pleasant and that I’d heard wonderful things from Cadence and Shining Armor. Her reaction was rather predictable, but I do enjoy seeing my ponies happy.” With a low chuckle, she fluffed her feathers. “It’s nice to see you settling in as well.”

Spitfire started. She turned slowly, her ears laid flat. “I’m sorry, Princess. It’s just … well, there’s getting grilled by family, and then there’s getting grilled by three out of four princesses because you’re dating the fourth.”

“Dating into royalty is often that way.” Flicking her starry mane, Princess Luna crossed her hooves and laid them on the table. “Are you worried, then?”

Worried?

“About what?”

“About the ramifications, the consequences, anything, really.”

Unbidden, the image of Princess Celestia floated to the forefront of her mind. That calculating stare, the small frown marring her muzzle as she stared at Spitfire like she was studying her every move, her every word.

Spitfire licked her lips. “I’m not worried about my career, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“Not necessarily, though I will admit complications with Twilight could, in theory, create some on that front as well. But, no, that’s not what I meant by consequences.”

A shiver ran down Spitfire’s spine. “I don’t suppose this means you’re revoking your support, then?”

Princess Luna gave an amused snort. “Nothing of the sort, actually. I extended it and I’ve yet to find you dragging Twilight into trouble in the last twenty-four hours, so I see no reason to pull it, as it were.” Her smile faltered. “Do you think me so flighty that my word means nothing?”

“No!” Spitfire quickly bowed her head. “I didn’t mean to imply that at all!”

“Oh, good. I was worried for a moment.” A pained smile spread across her muzzle. “Emotionally sound is not a phrase one would use to describe my history, is it?”

Spitfire winced. “I wouldn’t hazard a guess, Princess.”

Another snort. “Back to being stiff, are we? Has my sister’s prodding truly unsettled you so much, Little Flame?”

Goldenrod ears twitched. Spitfire’s head snapped up, she gaped at the princess, her mouth working wordlessly as she searched for the words. “Where did you—”

“The same place we finished our conversation last night,” Princess Luna replied. “You have such lovely dreams of home, Captain.”

Spitfire felt her blood run cold. There it was again. Another reminder she was dating into a family far more powerful than mere titles or the crowns they wore.

Two who raise the sun and moon, one who can spark love, and one who can learn any spell there is. She swallowed a lump in her throat. And whatever else they have under their hats.

Princess Luna caught her look. “If it’s any help, I’m bound by oath never to reveal the specific contents of your dreams to others.” Thinking a moment, she added, “My guards have taken similar oaths, so to avoid possible gossip.”

“I see.” Spitfire fidgeted. “I, er, hope you don’t take offense, but the whole dream walking thing is something I’m not entirely used to, Princess.”

“I understand. Though I have helped many overcome their nightmares, I do find many things have changed since my banishment. Whether or not my intrusion is always welcome is one of them.” She heaved a sigh and shook her head. “One of many things that has changed. So too have relationships, it seems.” Her smile returned in full. “Were one to dare tread in one of our chambers in that age, they would have been jailed on the spot. Or, alternatively …”

Mirth shone in those teal eyes. Princess Luna leaned forward, fixing Spitfire with a half-lidded stare. “You would have been expected to marry Twilight so she could save face.”

Spitfire coughed. “I, er, uh …” Darn it. She hung her head and heaved a sigh. “That bit with Twilight’s flowers wasn’t just a coincidental euphemism, was it?”

Princess Luna let out a laugh. “No, Captain, it was not.”

Oh boy. “Can I ask how?”

“Multiple sources.” Princess Luna chuckled. “First and foremost is that my guards caught you both leaving Twilight’s suite together, the second is something that’s become a personal favorite of mine: staff gossip.” She raised her brows. “The third is something I’m afraid I can’t say.”

Blinking, Spitfire tilted her head. “Why not?”

“For the same reason I cannot discuss or divulge the contents of your dreams to any other than you.”

A dream?

Spitfire wrinkled her nose. If Princess Luna couldn’t talk about it in her presence, then who—

It clicked.

Her heart skipped a beat. Spitfire felt her cheeks burn. An awkward smile spread slowly across her muzzle. “Ah. Twilight, then.”

Princess Luna simply smiled. “I would appreciate it if you didn’t press her on the matter. Twilight does know of my ability, but if she were to know what I happened upon before I realized and left, I daresay she would avoid my gaze for quite some time.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Spitfire mumbled. She winced and ducked her head. “Er, sorry. Slipped out.”

“No apology needed. Just keep it to yourself and I shall consider us even.”

The waitress came trotting in with a tray bearing a white bottle and two sake saucers held aloft in the pink glow of her magic. She moved quietly, setting the tray down on the table and pouring the sake before each of them.

Spitfire took her saucer in hoof, mumbling a soft “thanks” while she inspected the drink. Curious, she took a sniff. It held a rather sweet scent, almost like the flower itself, but with the familiar bite of alcohol.

Princess Luna nodded to the mare. “Thank you, Sakura,” she said. “If you wouldn’t mind, please bring us some tea out for our meal as well. I doubt we’ll be drinking sake all night.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Sakura bowed low, then scurried out of the room.

Chuckling, Princess Luna floated her saucer up. “To your health, Captain,” she said.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” she replied, raising her own saucer. “To your health as well.”

They drank in unison. The floral taste was sweet, but did little to distract from the burn in the back of her throat. Spitfire took a deep breath and blinked several times. “Hurricane’s pinions! This is strong stuff!”

“Neighponese sake usually is quite strong. Hence why it takes little to get a pony drunk.”

“No fooling! I gotta make sure my team never sneaks this onto one of our trips, or I’ll be doing laps in the hospital visiting all their rooms!”

“Indeed. My sister has told me of Firestorm’s reputation.” Waggling her ears, Princess Luna poured them both another saucer of sake. “Isn’t this more fun? Just the two of us sharing drinks and dining together?”

Spitfire gave her tail a flick. “I was half expecting this to be less cordial, Princess. Figured it would be another questioning session.”

“I see. Tell me, then, have you forgotten the promise I made last night?”

“I believe your wording was that I would ‘feel the brunt of your displeasure.’”

“Excellent. Then there is no need for further questioning.” Humming, she brought a hoof to her chin. “What else, I wonder. I know I had something—ah! Yes!” Princess Luna levitated her saucer once again, smiling brightly. “To what I hope is the beginning of a wonderful relationship with my young friend.”

Sitting up a bit straighter, Spitfire returned her smile and raised her saucer in kind. “I’ll definitely drink to that.”

The pair downed their second saucer together. Spitfire gasped, letting the cool air tickle her burning throat. She set her saucer down on the table, closer to the edge as a indication that she was finished drinking.

Just in time for Sakura to return with a pair of trays floating in her magic’s glow.

Spitfire’s nostrils flared, the scents of jasmine rice and scallops made her feathers fluff. She hadn’t eaten shellfish since the team did a goodwill event with Gryphonia’s Screaming Talons.

Amber eyes met teal. Princess Luna smiled and nodded as Sakura set their plates before them, then took up a pair of chopsticks in her magic.

Their conversation could continue after they’d eaten.


“I might just have to make this place a regular stop when I come to town for meetings,” Spitfire said, swishing her tail and licking her lips to savor the meal’s remnants. “This and that Istallion place. Don Contorno’s, I think.”

Princess Luna raised a brow and floated a cup of steaming tea before her. “For the food, or because the latter is one of Twilight’s favorite restaurants?”

Spitfire ducked her head, a crooked smile made its way across her muzzle. “A bit of both.”

“Good. She’ll enjoy that quite a bit.” Her lips twitched. “Speaking of, I would imagine you could turn Canterlot into a nice midway point between Ponyville and Cloudsdale.” Shrugging, Princess Luna took a sip of her tea. “Not that I mean to direct you toward anything, of course. Consider it food for thought.”

Spitfire sat up a little straighter. There it was again. Hinting at how she might further things with Twilight and move toward something lasting, and right after reminding her of the promise she made.

Her ears perked up. “Can I ask you something?”

Snorting, Princess Luna smiled. “You already have, but yes.”

Smart aleck. Spitfire flicked her tail, but kept her snark to herself. “I don’t mean to press or anything, but I’m a bit confused.”

“By what?”

“The way you talk about Twilight and me. One minute, it’s like you’re all in favor and completely fine with what we’re trying. But then there’s that promise you’ve made.” Spitfire let her gaze fall to the table. “I don’t want to assume anything, but it’s almost like you expect me to make a mess of things with her.”

Like I do every time.

Princess Luna scoffed. “If that’s what you’ve gotten from our talks, then I would advise you have your ears checked.”

Spitfire reared back as if she’d been struck across the face. “E-Excuse me?”

“I don’t believe I stuttered.” Princess Luna let her teacup float to rest on the table, steepling her hooves. “I said that I would support your relationship with Twilight because I value her happiness and respect her as an adult, never once did I say that I approved of everything that’s happened between you two. In fact, I recall telling you that I disapproved of her allowing you into her room the night of the Gala. To be perfectly blunt, it does trouble me that you two know one another in a more intimate sense after only a few short days together.” Her eyes narrowed. “That it was after only a few short hours is something I most certainly don’t approve.”

A cold shiver ran down Spitfire’s neck. The timberwolf’s breath was back, and this time, it had brought its pack.

She licked her lips. “I—we—Twilight and I sat down and sorted things afterward …”

Sighing, Princess Luna rolled her eyes. “And there you go again. Does no pony listen when I speak?” She turned to the guard posted on her right. “Am I speaking in tongues, Sleepless Night?”

The stallion shook his head. “No, Princess.”

“Excellent. So it’s not me then.” Her gaze fell upon Spitfire once again. “For your benefit, I will remind you—yet again—of our discussion last night. Do pay attention this time.”

Spitfire ducked her head, trying to make herself smaller. “Yes, Princess.”

Princess Luna brought her hooves up to massage her temples. “Young ponies these days. I truly do despair,” she muttered. Then, she said, “I may not approve of how quickly things have moved, but, as I said last night, I am not in this relationship. You two are grown mares. As long as you treat Twilight with respect and act like an adult in this, I won’t speak against it.” Her brows flatlined, her eyes bored into Spitfire. “In short, don’t upset my friend or I will be angry. Otherwise, it’s really not my business. Are we clear?”

“Crystal, Princess.”

“Good, then we understand one another.” Her smile returned. Princess Luna brought her cup to hover before her again. She stopped short, thinking for a moment. “I should caution you, though. My sister will not give her support so easily.”

The chill returned. Spitfire cringed and let her ears droop. “Princess Celestia did seem rather cold this morning …”

“Abnormally so, yes. Especially with that choice of story to discuss.” Sighing, the Night Princess shook her head. “She always was a bit jealous with how she guarded those closest to her. Twilight is no exception for rather obvious reasons.”

“Yeah. Former student and all.”

“Quite.”

Spitfire sucked in a breath through her teeth. “Do you think she knows that Twilight and I, er … y’know?”

“Were intimate the very night she set the pair of you up?” Princess Luna supplied.

Oh, geez, that’s right. I’m so clipped. “Yes. That.”

She simply shrugged. “I cannot say for certain, but given her mood this morning, the possibility is quite real.” Raising an eyebrow, she asked, “Are you nervous?”

“Nervous? Me?” Spitfire forced a grin. “Whatever gave you that impression?”

Princess Luna’s brow arched higher, her only response a deadpan stare.

Spitfire’s grin fell. She let her wings unfurl and begin to wrap around her. “I’m scared out of my wits,” she admitted. “I don’t think I’ve been this nervous since my tryout.”

“I appreciate your honestly.” Princess Luna nodded once. “You’ll need it again when my sister does decide to speak with you.”

Blinking, Spitfire tilted her head. “But you just said you weren’t sure she knows …”

“True, but we both know how important Twilight is to Celestia.” She chuckled and took a sip of her tea. “Regardless of whether or not she’s heard through the grapevine, if you think for one second you’ll be able to date Twilight Sparkle without enduring a lengthy discussion with my sister, I’m afraid I must inform you that you’re sadly mistaken.”

Spitfire’s mouth felt dry. She took a deep sip of her tea to wet it, but to no avail.

Why did she feel like she was about to pull a Hellfire Dive with her wings tied?

Actually, I might have a better shot with that. She reached up to rub her mane, her ears drooped. “Any advice for what to do when the time comes?”

Chuckling, Princess Luna moved to refill her cup. “Advice? Certainly.” Bringing her cup to her lips, she smiled. “Honesty and sincerity.”