• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 11,385 Views, 239 Comments

Why Bother? - Discorded SheepcityUSA



When the Crystal Heart shatters seemingly out of nowhere, the Mane Six are ready to face the horrendous she-demon that emerges from inside it...only for said she-demon to immediately surrender.

  • ...
13
 239
 11,385

What's the point?

“Hurry, we need to get to the center of the Empire NOW!” Twilight yelled behind her to her friends as she flied as fast as she could towards the center of the Crystal Empire. The remaining members of Twilight’s circle of friends followed suit and tried to keep up the pace, though Rainbow Dash was possibly the only one capable of doing so.

“C’mon we gotta move! Cadance wants us there on the double!” Rainbow also yelled to the others.

“G-Goodness, did she even say what’s happening? It sound awfully urgent.” Fluttershy asked in nervous anticipation for whatever was to come.

Twilight quickly nodded in her panicked state. “There’s something wrong with the Crystal Heart, she said it’s c-cracking! Without the heart’s protection, the Empire could be engulfed in snow from the Frozen North and…” Twilight gulped a little. “She said there was something else that could just make things a lot worse in there.”

Pinkie tilted her head. “By worse do you mean total planetary disaster oooor-“ Pinkie was cut off immediately after

“I don’t even want to think about that; I just know it’s BAD!” Twilight yelled out.

“Well, whatever it is that’s gonna come outta this, Ah’m positive we’ll come out of it alright as long as we keep ourselves level-headed.” Applejack added.

“I agree dear, panicking will do none of us any good. After all, even if this does turn out to be quite a bad situation for Equestria, how much worse could things get? We’ve defeated Nightmare Moon, King Sombra, Queen Chrysalis, the list goes on. What else could possibly be left? There can’t be THAT many intensely powerful creatures left at this point right?” Rarity asked

Twilight took a few deep breathes as she continued to fly. “Well for all our sakes, I really hope you’re right….y-yeah we’ll be okay, I’m sure!” she said, trying to keep a smile despite the grim possibilities that lied ahead.

“There’s the optimism we all know and love! C’mon, we got an empire to save!” Rainbow said, smirking and zooming ahead. At the center of town, a huge crowd of the resident Crystal Ponies had formed around the heart, which was blocked off by yellow tape. Just as Cadance had informed them, the Crystal Heart did indeed have a slight crack in it. The Alicorn princess in question was at the front of the crowd, trying to appease them and keep them calm. For whatever reason, she also held a large, pink book with an emblem of the Crystal Heart emblazoned on it.

“Now everypony, I ask that you please keep your distance from the heart at this time please! It’s very, very unstable right now!” Cadance shouted to the Crystal Ponies, resulting in quite a few nervous murmurs from them.

“O-Oh no this sounds bad.” One of them said quietly.

“I-Is Sombra coming back? P-Please tell me Sombra’s not coming back” Another one stuttered.

Not wanting to waste any time, and wanting to get a full brief on the situation at hoof, Twilight quickly approached her sister in-law, followed by her friends. “Cadance, what’s going on? Why is the Crystal Heart cracking all of sudden?” Twilight asked, eager for an answer.

Cadence put a hoof to her chest and took a deep breath before letting it out and extending her hoof out. “I have an explanation for that. Unfortunately, I believe the spell that keeps certain…things from escaping the confines of the Heart is wearing thin.”

Twilight’s eyebrow raised slightly. “Things? What’s in there that could possibly cause any harm? The Crystal Heart is an artifact of pure love and positivity isn’t it?”

“Yeah! Enough love and happiness to keep evil shadow beasties and snowstorms at bay! What could be in there that’s BAD?” Pinkie asked with her usual high levels of energy.

“Exactly what I was getting to.” Cadance replied, putting down the book she was holding and slowly opened it. “A long time ago-“

“Aaaand there it is.” Rainbow Dash added in quickly before Cadance continued.

Cadance had a slightly annoyed look on her face for being interrupted, but easily shrugged those feelings off and opened the book to a page depicting minimalist-looking illustrations of the Crystal Empire and it’s resident ponies. “A long time ago, before even the time of King Sombra, there was another plague to the Crystal Empire that threatened its times of peace. By making the Crystal Ponies slaves in a slightly more…indirect way than you would think.” Cadance said, turning the page to the next one, revealing an illustration of a pink Crystal Earth Pony with a dark purple mane and a cutie mark that depicted a heart having an arrow being jabbed through it. As indicated by the pony’s slender figure and bright blue, enchanting, half-lidded eyes, she was obviously quite an attractive one. Her smile though, was not a genuine one. The way it was formed in combination with her eyes made that much clear.

“Ooh she’s pretty.” Pinkie said, peeking over her friend’s shoulders to get a good look at the book.

“Indeed she is. That is part of what makes this particular mare incredibly dangerous.” Cadance replied, skipping over to the next page, which showed the same mare, only now with a pair of dark green, dragon-like eyes and her smile widening a little to show quite a few pairs of sharpened teeth.

“Oh dear. So she must have been this “plague” then. Who WAS she though?” Rarity asked curiously.

“Her name was Luxure. The Goddess of Lust, as the Crystal Ponies called her.” Cadance answered, turning the page again, showing the mare now known as Luxure, striking an enchanting pose and giving a sultry look to a stallion in front of her, whose eyes were now glowing pink. Behind said stallion though was a crying mare.

“Luxure would use her looks in combination with her magic to lure ponies away from their loved ones and ultimately do her bidding. Some couples that were affected by her deceit never fully recovered. It was an endless cycle of betrayal and misery whenever it came to her.” Cadance said, sighing sadly as she turned to the next page which depicted Luxure floating above an ensuing battle with Equestria’s royal guard, and her new minions who seemed content with fighting to the death to keep her safe. Luxure herself had an incredibly devilish and sinister smile and was rubbing her hooves together as she watched the carnage below her.

“O-Oh my goodness that’s horrible!” Fluttershy gasped.

“It’s not enough that she would lure ponies from their loved ones, but then used them as hollow shells for battle?! Absolutely horrendous!” Rarity shouted in disgust.

“However-“ Cadance continued with a straight face. “Princess Amore of the Crystal Empire managed to conjure a spell that would keep her sealed inside the Crystal Heart, the ultimate source of love and positivity in Equestria. It is the only place where her seductive enchantress magic is useless.” Cadance turned to the final page in the book, which showed Princess Amore, a very tall and regal-looking unicorn, casting a spell on the Crystal Heart. Inside the heart was a very tiny, and very livid Luxure, who appeared to be banging on the crystal from the inside.

Twilight remembered reading about Princess Amore alright. Unicorn princess of the Crystal Empire a very long time ago but was eventually shattered by Sombra when he came to power. Definitely not one of the happier things she’s read.

“So the spell’s weakened after all this time huh? And you need us to fight off this freaky Goddess of Lust chick?” Rainbow asked.

“Only until I can seal the heart and put her back inside it. As long as the heart doesn’t completely shatter it will keep the blizzards at bay, but cracks are a different story when it comes to Luxure.” Cadance said turning back towards the heart. “Maybe if I can just…” Cadance lit up her horn and fired some magic on the heart, causing a cluster of crystals to grow where the crack on the heart was growing. At first they seemed to hold steady, but after about fifteen seconds or so, the crystals shattered. “Rgh. I was afraid of that. I haven’t found a strong enough spell to seal the cracks. She’s going to come out any moment now!”

“Don’t worry your highness. We deal with nasties like this all the time, we can handle it.” Applejack nodded confidently.

“Yeah, we can buy you enough time to seal her back in!” Pinkie cheered optimistically.

Cadance took a deep breath and smiled a little. “I can’t thank you enough. Now ready yourselves, she’s coming out.”

The entire audience of ponies looked onward at the heart as the crack grew ever so slightly. After a couple of seconds, a dark pink smoke began to leak out of it and cover the ground. It was so dark and thick that nopony present could see their own hooves through it. The Mane Six crouched down into their fighting stances, those that could use magic in their group, beginning to light up their horns.

“Alright girls. We’re dealing with a mare with incredible powers of manipulation and deceit. Don’t fall for any of her tricks.” Twilight said with the upmost seriousness.

“Mah mind’s a steel trap sugarcube. Ah’ll be good.” Applejack replied.

“U-Um….mine too.” Fluttershy said meekly.

Once a lot more smoke accumulated, it began to form the shape of a pony slightly off the ground. The top portion of the smoke-pony seemed to open a pair of glowing green eyes that weren’t there before. This sight made the mares shiver slightly, but remain firm in their stance, ready to battle whatever horror emerged from the smoke.

When the smoke cleared though, what they DIDN’T expect to find was this. The mare that emerged from the smoke was indeed Luxure, no mistake about that. She was still quite curvaceous and alluring in her form, but her face is what put the Mane Six off. Her hair was incredibly messy and sticking out in every which direction, and she had deep, dark bags under her eyes. Complementing those was a deep frown.

“….Uh….You sure we have the right Crystal Heart? That does NOT look like the face of somepony who could make ponies betray their kingdom.” Rainbow whispered to Twilight, earning confused faces from both of them.

Luxure’s bitter frown deepened and she rolled her eyes. “Oh excuse me for not looking my best after being stuck in there for as long as I have. I can’t just poof up makeup when I don’t have access to my magic in there. I mean, I’d love it if my life was just ‘I’m too sexy’ on repeat forever but it’s not that simple.” she growled a little. Luxure’s eyes glowed a slight tinge of green. With a quick flash of white light, Luxure’s hair was fixed and made into long curves near the end of it. The bags under her eyes had disappeared, and she now had light purple eyeshadow on.

Poofing up a mirror, she took a good look at herself in it. “Mmm. Better.” She said, nodding in content.

While still quite baffled by the way Luxure currently carried herself, the ponies before her still resolved to fight if need be.

“Luxure, you may have managed to escape the Crystal Heart, but we’re gonna make sure that’s as far as it gets! We’ll never let your evil ambitions come to be!” Twilight shouted at her.

Luxure stopped staring at herself for a moment to actually get a good look at the ponies around her. All of them were giving her stern, determined looks. Eyes narrowed, nostrils flared. The Crystal Ponies remembered her alright. And the pink alicorn princess was a new addition that she’d been aware of for far too long.

And then she looked at the six that looked really prepared to take her down.

That’s when she simply shrugged.

“Okay.” She said simply.

“Yeah, we’re not gonna let you hurt anypon-…wait, what?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“I said okay. What, you need me to spell it out for you? Maybe write it in the sky with clouds or some stupid crap?” Luxure asked, getting a little irritated.

Cadance was among the bewildered in this case and she quickly shook her head. “Wait, are you just…giving up? But you just escaped!”

“Yep. It’s just not worth it.” Luxure replied, putting her hooves up.

The Mane Six all stared at her for several seconds in shock. This had never happened before. None of the foes they’d faced has simply given up straight away. It didn’t make any logical sense for them to do so. This usually went with villain escaping from X, villain tries to take over Equestria for X reasons, they would beat them in the end by using X magic.

What was this?

“N-No no no, this has to be a trick. You’re just trying to get in our heads, why else would you do this?!” Twilight shouted in confusion.

“I’m not. I know you six, and I know I can’t beat you. If I’d escaped like, two years ago maybe I’d be more motivated and I’d probably be going full tyrant mode right now. But since you six are in the picture? Nope, I’m done.” She replied, trying to keep a straight face.

“Wait, you know us? How?” Fluttershy asked softly, being very careful not to anger her.

“The Crystal Heart might be magic proof, but sound proof? Uh-uh. The Crystal Ponies talk about you all the time and how you’ve beaten every major threat that’s come your way. Before then, I was absolutely pissed for over a thousand years, really eager for the day I could get out and rip Princess Amore a new asshole. Sadly Sombra beat me to it. After that I’d just resolved to taking over Equestria with a new army I’d eventually form using pony’s temptations against them.” Luxure let out a long, deep sigh.

The Mane Six all looked at each other with confused looks. “Aaaand you all of a sudden don’t want to do that now becaaaause…?” Rarity asked, stretching out her question.

Luxure growled a little in annoyance. “Don’t you get it? Have you not figured it out by now after beating so many baddies no matter the odds? We’re in a situation where villainy has absolutely zero chance of ever winning. I might not’ve realized that when I was young and stupid but I do now. When I heard that you beat Nightmare Moon I thought ‘Okay, beginner’s luck, big whoop.’ Then I heard about Discord and thought ‘Okay that’s slightly discouraging.’ By the time I found out the king of evil and darkness himself could be beat by a frickin’ baby dragon, I realized any chances I had of winning were deader than shit.”

"You found out about Sombra's defeat LAST? How? The heart that you were inside of was used to make him explode." Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow.

Luxure shrugged again. "I was taking a nap at the time."

"But it fell from a really tall tower and was thrown around practically everywhere!" Cadance added, raising her voice a bit.

"There isn't really much to do in the endless, soul-crushing darkness that is the inside of the Crystal Heart besides sleep. I've had PLENTY of practice to become a REALLY talented heavy sleeper...and I might've taken up on lucid dreaming from time to time, interpret that however you want." Luxure shook her head a little bit. "Big emphasis on the soul-crushing portion though. The way I see it, I in no way benefit from playing the bad guy."

“You…don’t even want to try? I mean, come on there’s no way you have no motivation to at least make an attempt.” Rainbow said.

“Rainbow, you realize you’re encouraging a super villain to try and take over Equestria.” Twilight looked at Rainbow with a deadpanned expression.

“I’m just saying.” Rainbow shrugged.

Luxure shook her head. “Knowing what I do now about this world, if I actively tried to make an attempt to be villainous again I would just be making a jackass out of myself and you. I know I’m not going to win in the end, so what’s the point?” she asked with a slightly depressive tone to her voice. “Just put me back in the heart, or in the dungeon or whatever, I don’t really care anymore.”

The girls all looked at each other again with slightly concerned faces now. Twilight motioned Cadance to come closer, and she obliged. They all huddled together and whispered quietly.

“I did say to not trust anything she says but…I’d think if she really cared enough to try and hurt us she would’ve done it by now.” Twilight said.

“She’s literally asking to be imprisoned again after she just got out. If that doesn’t scream lack of motivation I don’t know what does.” Rarity added, ears folding a little.

“Ah can tell when a pony’s lyin’ and she actually seems pretty legit about this. Though Ah can’t really tell if that’s a good or bad thing.” Applejack said, looking over her shoulder at Luxure, who had a half-lidded, tired expression while she stared at them.

“She reaaaally doesn’t look mean, happy, cocky or anything. She just looks…really, really sad.” Pinkie said, frowning.

“Yeah but she’s…ya know, technically still evil. But she’s not really doing anything so…do we just put her on parole or something? This is confusing, we’ve never had a villain just flat out give up.” Rainbow said, scratching her head. “…Kinda lame too, I really wanted a good fight.”

Cadance also looked back at Luxure, whose expression hasn’t changed. “Well…she did serve her time already. And she really doesn’t seem to have much villainous ambition now….I’m not sure, I expected her to be a raging magic beast when she escaped, not have her spirit broken.”

“Well um, I could take her in until we figure out what else to do with her. Just…if she’s as alluring as your book says she is, I really don’t want to wake up with her in my bed.” Fluttershy said, blushing a little.

“Fluttershy be honest, you’re probably the first one out of us that WOULD want that. Don’t kid yourself.” Rainbow replied, deadpanning at her. Fluttershy’s blush deepened a little and she covererd her face with her wings.

“I-I’ll just t-tell her then.” Fluttershy broke out of the huddle and trotted slowly over to Luxure. “U-Um…M-Miss Luxure. We’ve decided that we’re not going to imprison you in the Crystal Heart again.”

“Why? What reason could you have to not do it? You beat the bad guy and it’s made into a stained glass window in Canterlot, isn’t that how this works?” Luxure asked with a slightly more bitter expression.

“W-Well um…” Fluttershy looked away nervously. “Usually y-yes but…you’re a special case. You really don’t look like you have the motivation to do any harm so…do you want to come with me? We could try to be friends…maybe I could help you figure out what to do with yourself?”

Luxure raised an eyebrow. “…..You just want to sleep with me don’t y-“

She didn’t get the chance to finish as she was interrupted by the sound of Fluttershy’s high pitched and frustrated yelling. “NO! NOW DO YOU WANT TO COME WITH ME OR NOT?!?”

Luxure flinched a little bit in discomfort. This was supposed to be the cuddly and nice one? “…Fine jeez…I guess when the alternative is really uncomfortable crystal as opposed to a warm bed, my choice should be obvious.”

Fluttershy calmed down and smiled. “That’s good. Just promise not to cause any world-ending catastrophes and we won’t have any problems. Okay?

Luxure’s eyes flashed green for a fraction of a second before nodding. “Very well…also, you. The blue one. Turn around.”

Rainbow looked at her in confusion for a moment before doing as she asked. When she did, Rainbow noticed right away that her tail was gone. “Hey what the-“ Rainbow turned back around to see Luxure wearing Rainbow’s tail like a scarf around her neck.

“I happen to think rainbow is a good color on me, what do you think?” She asked, fluffing it up a little.

Cadance narrows her eyes. “I thought we agreed that you’d-“ Luxure put a hoof to Cadance’s lips and spoke in front of her.

“I said I didn’t have motivation to be evil anymore. And I meant it. There’s no way it’d benefit me knowing what I do now…I never said anything about being nice though.” She replied, with the slight presence of a smirk coming on.

Author's Note:

Prompt: If a villain realized they were in a kids show where villains had practically zero chance of winning, what motivation could they have left upon realizing this?

Try to decide for yourself if the idea of that is comedic, or very, very depressing.