• Published 9th Jul 2016
  • 286 Views, 6 Comments

Twilight's day off - 21latenighter



Follow Twilight around as she gets an unexpected day off

  • ...
 6
 286

A Day Off

Twilight opened her eyes slowly to see the surroundings of her room. The night before had been a blur after nine thirty. she was never staying up after nine thirty with Pinkie Pie again. Her room was a mess, there were clothes strung out everywhere, and candy wrappers adorned the floor around the pink pony sleeping in the middle of the library's upstairs bedroom floor. Twilight groaned as she rose from her bed, only to fall back onto the floor. She moaned as her legs were tied in a knot and had not woken up with the rest of her body. Twilight used her magic to bring the small hand held mirror over from her dresser across the room, Her mane was in a mess around her head. She brought her comb from the dresser with her magic as well as she impatiently waited for her legs to gain feeling. She began to comb her hair one stroke at a time, straightening it out to it's usual look. By this time her legs had began to gain feeling and she tried to stand.

Her feet obeyed her this time and she rose to a standing position. She walked over to where Pinkie Pie was Snoring now very loudly and shook her roughly. "Pinkie Pie, wake up", Twilight yelled at the sleeping earth pony.

"Wha.. Huh", Pinkie Pie said groggily as she opened her eyes a tad. "That was some time last night Twilight. I told you, things get pretty weird after nine thirty, that's why Mrs. Cake always makes sure that I am in my bed before nine thirty", Pinkie said as she shook her head and various empty candy wrappers fell down around her hooves.

"We have to get up and get moving Pinkie. The Princess has me doing a lot of things this morning", Twilight said as she recalled the events from the night before in her head.

She had last looked at the time at around nine forty-five. Twilight was in the corner using her magic to hold up a microphone to sing as loudly as she could to a song she couldn't remember the name of. Pinkie was in the center of the room munching on candy upside down and speaking a weird language. Pinkie then looked up at the ceiling and fell asleep instantly, snoring as soon as her head hit the floor. Twilight slowly fell over to her side, falling asleep with a last glance at her room. She didn't know how she got into her bed, Spike must of carried her to her bed after he came home from Sweet Apple Acres with the apple pies that Twilight had requested of him. He must of gotten caught up at Rarity's on the walk home, he still thought he had a chance with her.

"Twilight, there's a letter for you", Spike called out from downstairs. "Breakfast is ready too".

At the sound of breakfast, Pinkie Pie shot out of the bedroom and down to the kitchen of the living quarters of the library. Twilight shook her head and began to slowly walk down the steps towards the first floor of the library where Spike was holding a piece of parchment in between his claws. She took the letter from out of spike's grasp with her magic gently, and read the letter from her teacher.

My Dear Student,
It has come to my attention that you have not had a day off in quite some time, so the studies that I have for today have been moved to other days in the week. I advise you to take some time to just relax from your studies. I expect you to write me a letter tonight about your day and the events that filled it.

Yours truly,
Princess Celestia

Twilight dropped the letter as her eye started to twitch and her mind broke as she read the word relax. She didn't want to relax, she wanted to study and learn for the day, not waste her time relaxing and doing things that didn't relate to her studies. "Why must of all days Celestia choose for me to have a day off today?", Twilight groaned as she snapped out of her broken state.

"A day off, whoopee, now we can go to sugarcube corner and make some cupcakes for whoops", Pinkie Pie placed her hoof across her muzzle as she nearly spilled the beans to twilight. It was known to all but Twilight for some reason that her birthday was today. "I've gotta go Twilight, but I will be sure to send Rarity over here to help you calm down", Pinkie Pie said before she raced out of the door before Twilight could catch her with her magic.

"What could have Pinkie Pie in such a hurry, besides being Pinkie Pie?", Twilight said to herself as she walked into the kitchen to have some of spike's Breakfast. She hoped he hadn't made sapphire pancakes again, her mouth was sore for a week after she bit into one of the jewels. Spike was in the kitchen cleaning up when she walked in, and the table was a complete mess of batter and pancake crumbs. "I thought you said breakfast was ready Spike?", Twilight said as she looked to the purple dragon washing the dishes.

"It was Twilight, but then Pinkie Pie came in and wiped everything out", Spike said as he dried his claws and walked over to Twilight. "I can make some more if you want me to?", He said as he grabbed the dishes off of the table and headed back for the sink.

"No, that's ok Spike, I will just grab something on the way to Rarity's house", Twilight said as Spike droopily placed the dishes into the sink. "Evidently Pinkie Pie wants me to go to Rarity's house and relax", Twilight said as she began to walk to the front door of the library. "Thanks anyway Spike, I know you put a lot of thought into your cooking", she said as she walked out of the door. "Now off to.., oh hello Rarity", Twilight said as she about ran into the white unicorn.

"Hello darling, are you ready to go to the spa for a day of relaxation?", Rarity said as she ran her hoof through her mane.

"The spa, well why not. I guess it would be a little hard to relax in your boutique", Twilight said as she smiled at Rarity. The two unicorns began to walk to the Spa. "I hope you don't mind if I run a few errands on the way Rarity, the Princess gave me the day off for some reason and I have a few things to do?", Twilight asked Rarity as they walked through town.

"Of course darling, we can do the things on your list before we go to the spa. What all do you have to do today?", Rarity replied as she watched twilight pull out a parchment as long as Rarity was tall.

"I need to go to the market and get carrots for me and get some jewels for spike. I then need to get some new books from the book dealer. Lastly I need to pay off my debt at the bank for when I bought those books last week for my assignment", Twilight said as she brought up a Huge Pinkie Pie like smile on her face ear to ear. Rarity smiled and made a sigh as they walked into town square where the market was held.

Twilight walked over to the first store on her list, Carrot Top's booth where she sold carrots and various vegetables from her gardens throughout Ponyville. "Hello Carrot Top, can I get a Bushel of carrots off of you today?", Twilight said to the gardening pony.

"Why yes Twilight, but why so much? Are you having a party or something?", Carrot Top asked as she began to place the Carrots into a large basket.

"I decided that I would take a full bushel so I wouldn't run out if Pinkie Pie decides to come over and raid my house again like she usually does on Saturdays when Mrs. Cake gives her the day off", Twilight said to Carrot Top as she placed the last of the carrots into the basket.

"Ok Twilight, that will be seventy bits", Carrot Top said as she told Twilight the price of the orange vegetable.

"That's a little expensive don't you think, would you take fifty bits?", Twilight said as she pulled out her bit purse.

"How about sixty bits Twilight since you are one of my regular customers", Carrot Top said as she set the basket onto the counter of the booth.

"I guess that is fair, sixty bits it is", Twilight said as she pulled the coins out of her purse. She gave Carrot Top the money and took the basket with her magic and walked to their next destination.

"Are you sure you need all of those carrots Twilight?", Rarity said as they walked closer to the book booth.

"Have you ever seen Spike and Pinkie eat carrots? They will clear this out in about two weeks", Twilight giggled as she told Rarity the previously unknown fact.

"What books do you need Twilight, maybe I can help you look?", Rarity said as they arrived at the booth.

"I need advanced spells and tricks 101, and Haycart's method 2.0", Twilight said matter of factly to both Rarity and the bookkeeper.

"Alright Twilight, that will be 300 bits for the two books", The bookkeeper said in a snooty fashion.

"300 BITS, that is unruly Twilight, go to the library in Canterlot and borrow them from the Princess", Rarity insisted as Twilight went for her purse.

"I would, but somepony already did and they won't be giving them back until after my assignment is due", Twilights said as she paid for the books. "I have already tried to contact the pony who took them, but the librarian said that she wouldn't give them up", Twilight said to Rarity as they walked towards the bank.

"Have you ever tried borrowing them from any of the other ponies at the castle or the school Twilight?", Rarity asked Twilight as they left the market square.

"Yes Rarity", Twilight said becoming very aggravated at her questions. "I have tried everywhere, but it seems that the book booth here in town is the only place that has them, so I had to save up to buy these books", Twilight said as she groaned in anger. They walked to the front of the bank when Twilight looked at the time. "Oh my Rarity, we have spent most of the morning running around town. You wanted to relax at the spa and I have been nothing but a big problem", Twilight said as she walked to the front door of the bank.

"You have your things to do Twilight, and you have the right to be mad at my constant questions. I will wait for you to do your financing", Rarity said as she waited by the door.

Twilight walked through the doors of the bank and seen a long line leading to the bank tellers. "Oh no, of all days not today", Twilight groaned as she got in the back of the line to do her banking. She waited in line for nearly half an hour before she was up for the teller.

"How can I help you today?", the teller said blatantly.

"Yes, I need to pay off a loan that I borrowed a few weeks ago", Twilight said.

"Name and papers?", the teller said ruder.

"My name is Twilight Sparkle and here are my papers", Twilight told the teller as she gave the papers to the teller with her magic.

"Ms. Twilight M. Sparkle, it says here that you owe the bank five hundred bits to pay off this loan", the teller said scoping out the papers.

"Yes and I have it right here", Twilight said using her magic to bring the bits over to the teller. The teller counted every bit before looking back at Twilight.

"Would you like to have a receipt today?", she said.

"Um yes, why wouldn't I", Twilight said sheepishly.

"Alright Ms. Sparkle, no need to get rude with me. I am only doing my job", the teller said very rudely as she produced a receipt from the register. Twilight took the receipt with her magic and trotted out the door.

"Are you all done with your errands Twilight?", Rarity asked as Twilight came out of the bank.

"Yes Rarity, and I am ready to go to the spa", Twilight said as she smiled at the white unicorn. The two ponies left the bank and started towards the Spa down the street. They walked into the door and were immediately greeted by the spa sisters.

"The usual Miss Rarity?", the sisters said in unison.

"Yes, and whatever Twilight wants. Put it on my tab", Rarity said as she smiled and began to walk to the spa areas.

"I think that I could go for a massage and a steam bath", Twilight said as she followed Rarity. Twilight was then lead into the sauna for her steam by one of the spa sisters as the other took Rarity into another room. Twilight spent her full hour in the sauna before going into the room for her massage. The masseuse had Twilight lay on a table before going to work on her. She was gentle and massaged the stress and pain from twilight's day right away. After she had finished, Twilight walked out into the waiting area and began waiting for Rarity. She waited for Rarity for what seemed like forever, but the clock told her she had waited for a half an hour. Rarity walked out sparkling, looking like a new pony.

"Are you ready my dear?", Rarity said as she walked out into the waiting area.

"Yes Rarity, where are we off to next?", Twilight said relaxed.

"Pinkie said she wanted us to meet her at Sugar Cube Corner for a couple cupcakes", Rarity said, hiding something in her voice.

"Is that why Pinkie left in such a hurry this morning, it makes perfect sense now", Twilight said in a raised excited voice.

"It does?", Rarity said nervously.

"Yes, Pinkie wanted to make sure she had the perfect cupcakes made for our lunch", Twilight said in the same voice.

"Oh yes Twilight, you guessed it", Rarity said, looking relieved.

The two unicorns then walked out of the spa and towards Sugar Cube Corner in the middle of Ponyville. When they reached the Bakery, it had a few balloons on the mailbox and lights going off and on like a disco ball inside. "Just cupcakes huh Rarity?", Twilight said, now starting to figure out that something was up.

"Maybe one of the cakes are having a party?", Rarity said, trying to sound rational.

"Huh, somethings up and I'm going to find out what it is", Twilight said teleporting around Rarity and opening the front door of the bakery.

A shot of confetti from Pinkie's confetti cannon went off in front of Twilight and Pinkie Pie shot up from out of Nowhere. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWILIGHT", Pinkie Pie yelled as she grabbed the frightened unicorn and drug her into the bakery.

"What, today is my birthday, ooh, that would make perfect sense why Princess Celestia would want me", Twilight began.

"To have the day off to yourself", Princess Celestia said from a table beside the door.

Twilight jumped at the voice of the Princess and turned to see the ruler sitting a table with her friends and spike. "Princess, you came here?".

"Why wouldn't I come to the birthday party of my favorite student Twilight Sparkle? I could hardly keep my composure when I wrote that letter this morning", Princess Celestia said as she used her magic to cut a piece of cake and gave it to Twilight. "And don't worry about a letter tonight, just take it easy and enjoy your night off".

"I will princess, and then I'll be up early tomorrow to start on my studies", Twilight said.

"Twilight, here is your present from me, Advanced spell and tricks 101 and Haycart's method 2.0", Princess Celestia said, holding up the books. Twilight drooped her head and groaned a little. "Is everything alright, don't you like my gifts?".

"I would of loved them if I wouldn't of bought them earlier today", Twilight said, beginning to smile.

"Then it seems the library has two new editions then", Celestia said, a little disappointed. "Now, I guess next time I should buy you something that you don't need for assignments", she said, chuckling. Twilight laughed and nodded in agreement.

Pinkie pie's voice came over the speakers, "Alright ponies, let's get down and parrteee". The ponies then began to dance and play all sorts of party games late into the night, but not after nine thirty, crazy stuff happens after nine thirty.

Author's Note:

my first time writing this kind of story, don't get too mean in the comments!!! :fluttershysad:

Comments ( 6 )

Do you want criticism then? Some people think it's mean.

7378868 Not that, I do like to receive comments if people find something out of whack, but I like them to at least have a little respect about it, had a few really nasty ones on a couple stories. I also like feedback when I write a story with a style that I am not familiar with like this one. So I guess I do like criticism to a point, as long as it is about how I could of wrote the story better and not just saying that my story sucks and I should stop writing all together. :twilightsmile:

7379672 Then for one, you need to improve your grammar. For example, I saw so many questions in the writing, but only saw one question mark. That can really off-putting, and disconnect the reader.

Also, I think you should read through it, aloud, to yourself before you consider it finished. If something doesn't sound right, you should note it.

7379775 Thank you for your input and being nice, I didn't notice some of that when I read through it, And I do read through my stories aloud, but I know I can miss things and I keep hearing that I need to get an editor, but I don't know how to find one. It does help me getting comments like yours though, so thank you and I will look into it and add this advice to my writing. :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy:

updated, Question marks, question marks :rainbowlaugh:

7380096 Check the group Looking For Editors.

Login or register to comment