• Published 23rd Nov 2011
  • 2,148 Views, 23 Comments

Desert Rose - Lithe Kamitatsy



Rose is on the hunt for a special flower, and unexpectedly finds love.

  • ...
0
 23
 2,148

Day One - "Trouble in Paradise"

Braeburn watched the cream-colored pony trot off, rubbing her ear. “Did that come off too strong?” he asked Big Mac.

“Strong as an ox,” Big Macintosh said, giving the smaller stallion a small smile.

“Yeah, I thought so... So how’s little Apple Bloom doin’ with her studies?” he asked as the two stallions began to walk back towards town.

“Doin’ just fine,” he said with a small nod.

“That’s great to know,” Braeburn responded. “How’s Cousin AJ? She’s gone n’ found herself a great group of friends. When she came on up to visit we all had a rip-roarin’ good time!” he said with a bright smile. “Y’know, as Cousin AJ’s gotten older, she looks more’n more like Auntie-” he found himself silenced as a big hoof covered his mouth. He looked up at his cousin, seeing a rather stern look on his face. Braeburn looked away, embarrassed with himself. How could he forget that the topic of his aunt and uncle was still a very tender spot in the memories of his cousins? “Right... sorry ‘bout that, Mac... I didn’t mean to...”

“Just be careful next time,” Big Mac said, lowering his hoof.

“Gotcha...” Braeburn said, taking a deep breath and exhaling heavily. He opened his mouth to speak, but decided maybe it’d be best to let a little time pass before he spoke again.


Jeez... what a weirdo that stallion was... Rose thought to herself as she kept walking. Once the ringing in her ear had gone, she stopped for a moment to take in the sights. The faint scent of many different types of wood filled her nose as the dusty air swirled around her. The old buildings had a delightfully rustic appearance to them, and old-fashioned water troughs sat outside some of them. I wonder how often they clean those out... don’t they know ponies can get sick that way? she thought as she trotted past them. The scent of fresh pastries caught her off-guard, and she found herself at the mercy of her sweet-tooth as it lead her towards the pastry shop.

Sugar Plum looked up as the bell above her shop’s door rang, catching sight of a cream-colored mare with a hungry look in her eye. A tourist... perfect! “Howdy there, sugar! Welcome to Sugar Plum’s Sugar Mill, where y’all can satisfy that sugar spell with a sweet treat!” she said with a bright smile. “What can I get for ya?”

Rose trotted up to the counter, examining all the delicious looking confectionaries under the glass. She had to swallow a few times to prevent herself from drooling all over the glass. “Do you have peach cobbler?”

“Do we have peach cobbler? We’ve got a peach cobbler that’ll have you cryin’ for your mama to make some for ya! Finest in all of Appleloosa,” Plum said. “Y’all’ve got a sweet face, so I’ll let you try before you buy,” she said. She retrieved the plate with the cobbler from behind the glass and cut off a small piece for Rose. The moment that the cobbler touched Rose’s tongue, it set her mouth alight with an array of flavors. The peach was fresher than she had ever had, and the crust was light and flaky, but just chewy enough not to get caught in her teeth.

“Oh... oh my...” Rose said, feeling her eyes roll back into her head. “This is delectable... how much?” she asked.

“Four bits for a slice, twenty for a dozen,” she said sweetly.

“I’ll take the dozen,” Rose said, fishing for her bit satchel and placing the twenty bits on the counter.

“Thank ya kindly, stranger! I’m so glad ya took a likin’ to my bakin’,” she said with a wink as she charged the total and began to pack the cobblers into a tray. Once she was finished and Rose was seated at a table nearby, she smirked. I normally charge a little less for my baking, but hey, what she don’t know won’t hurt her, she thought as she watched the mare practically inhale two of the cobblers.

Plum heard the bell ring again, looking up and smiling as she saw Braeburn walk in, followed by a much larger red stallion. Oh my...

“Howdy, Miss Plum! I came back for lunch, and I brought my cousin with me!” he said happily. “Cousin Mac, this is Sugar Plum. She’s the best baker this side’a Appleloosa,” he said, introducing the two.

“Much obliged,” Mac said, shaking her hoof.

“My my, Braeburn... You never mentioned your cousin was so... big...” Plum said, batting her eyelashes at the large stallion, who raised an eyebrow. “What can I getcha, boys?”

“Whatever he suggests,” Mac said astutely.

“Good eye, Cousin. I’ll have the usual,” Braeburn said with a smile.

“Comin’ right up...” she said, winking at the two stallions before heading into the back to make their meals. The two stallions turned away from the counter, and Macintosh noticed Rose happily stuffing her muzzle with peach cobbler. She then noticed the two stallions coming over to her.

“Mehy, Mig Mac!” Rose said, her mouth still full. Peach cobbler rained out of her open mouth, dribbling to the floor and covering parts of Big Macintosh’s face. Braeburn burst out into a fit of laughter, causing Rose’s face to turn a deeper shade of red than her mane. She swallowed what was left of the cobbler in her mouth, quickly grabbing a napkin and helping wipe off Big Macintosh’s face. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to spit on you, I just spoke before I could swallow!” The stallion examined her for a moment, and shook his head with a small smile.

“Happens to the best of us,” he said. He then looked at his cousin, who was still laughing, and gave him a swift kick to the hindquarters to shut him up.

Braeburn popped up in an instant, composing himself. “Sorry for laughing, Miss...?”

“Rose... my name is Rose...” she said flatly, not at all appreciative of being laughed at.

“Right. My apologies, Miss Rose. Would it trouble you much if we sat with you while we wait for our lunches?” Braeburn asked.

“I guess so...” Rose said, still rather embarrassed with herself. The two stallions sat down across from her, carrying on their conversation of which she had no idea or relation to. After a while, Braeburn looked over, clearing his throat.

“I’m sorry, that was mighty impolite. Tell me, Miss Rose- how do y’all know my cousin?” Braeburn asked.

“Our carts are right next to each other. He, Applejack and Apple Bloom sell their apples and their baked goods right next to my flower cart,” she answered. “It’s... also how I gained such a sweet tooth for fruit pastries...” she said bashfully.

“Nothin’ wrong with that,” Braeburn said. “What brings you way out here to Appleloosa? Have any family here? I know everypony in this here town, so maybe you know somepony I do,” he asked.

“No, I don’t have any family here,” Rose answered. “I’m here on a bet,” she said.

“Oh? Well, it’s a long way from Ponyville just for a bet,” Braeburn said. “Must be important if you came so far just to settle it.”

“Well... it’s a matter of personal pride,” Rose said. “See, I’m looking for this flower,” she said, suddenly very intense and very passionate about what she was about to say. Braeburn mirrored her intensity, hanging on her every word.

“What kind of flower?” he asked.

“A rare kind of flower- one that doesn’t need water,” she said.

“A flower that don’t need water? Now that’s just nutty,” Braeburn said.

“You’d think so, now wouldn’t you? Take a look at this!” Rose said, throwing down a piece of parchment. Braeburn picked it up and read it, his eyes widening as it sank in.

“Miss Rose, I want you to listen to me very closely. Do not go after this flower,” Braeburn said, suddenly serious. Big Macintosh turned his head to face his cousin, having never heard his cousin speak in such a serious tone.

“What? Why? What’s wrong with it? Is it not in season?” Rose asked, concerned.

“That’s irrelevant. If you go after this flower, you will die,” Braeburn said.

“Excuse me!?” Rose exclaimed. “That’s a little harsh, don’t you think?” she asked, offended.

“I don’t think you understand,” Braeburn said. “The thing about it is-”

“No, I don’t think you understand! I came all the way out here to find that rose, and that’s exactly what I intend on doing! I’m tired of other ponies thinking that weak, timid little Rose can’t do anything for herself!” she yelled. She collected her things, and stormed out of the bakery without another word.

“Wait!” Braeburn called after her, to no avail. He sighed heavily, slumping back down in his chair. Big Mac patted him on the shoulder and gave a small snort.

“Mares,” he said simply.

Comments ( 4 )

Huh, looks like that one annoying fanboy nagging you about this story finally paid off.

Holy crap this updated
I completely forgot this existed.

Login or register to comment