• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 1,804 Views, 76 Comments

It's Time to Duel! - thisissparta789789



Twilight Sparkle was a new 11th Grade student in Ponyville and a loner. She never seemed to come out of her shell. That is, until she pieced together the Alicorn Puzzle.

  • ...
6
 76
 1,804

PreviousChapters Next
Duelist: Duel 6-The Dragon Cards

January 3, 2016

During the New Year's Break, Twilight got to work at the Golden Oaks Library, ordering a bunch of new books and building several new shelves. As she polished a new shelf, a young man about the same age as her walked in. Twilight and Spike turned around as she said, "Hello there! Welcome to the Golden Oaks Library."

The person asked Twilight, "Are you Twilight Sparkle?" He then placed a jar with a box on top tied down by a rope on a table next to him.

Twilight nodded and said, "That I am. What's that thing you got there?"

"It's called the Dragon Cards," the person replied. "I have no idea what the whole thing is all about. All I know is that there's some supposed curse."

"I know what this is," Spike replied. "I learned about it back in Canterlot." He then shook the stranger's hand. "I'm Spike, by the way. Anyways, it is written that the Dragon Cards were used by a martial arts master as the final test for his students in Dragonica hundreds of years ago. The Dragon Cards represent the shadows of the world, and the seal that binds them is the light of the world. If the seal was to be broken the shadows and light would clash creating a warped power. If a game is not played in the spot that it is opened, misfortune will fall upon it." Spike was born to Dragonican-born parents who worked for Celestia, but had become orphaned after a bad car accident when he was a baby.

"Oh my," said the man. "That sounds dangerous."

"It sure does," Twilight replied. "So, do you have anything else you need?"


January 6, 2016

While looking through her locker after school, Twilight noticed that the Alicorn Puzzle was missing. "What? No! I swore I left it here for the day!" Then, as she looked further, she found a note. "Huh? What's this?"

She opened the note up. It read, "If you want your puzzle back, come by yourself to Room 215. Don't tell anyone about this. (If you do, I'll ditch the puzzle!)" The note was anonymous.

"Shit," Twilight said to herself. "Ugh... I'll have to deal with this without the other me."

Then, Applejack, whose locker was next to her, asked her as she walked up to her locker, "What's up?"

"Nothing," Twilight replied. "I'm fine."


In Room 215, Twilight walked in and found the young man from 3 days earlier sitting at a desk, the Alicorn Puzzle hanging from his neck. He said to Twilight, "Come on in." Other than the two of them, the room was devoid of life.

Twilight closed the door behind her and said, "Why the hell did you take my puzzle?"

"I know of the Alicorn Items," the young man said, deviously smiling at Twilight. "I know of the power they possess. I want it for myself." He then grabbed the same Dragon Cards set from 3 days before from the floor and placed it on the table. "We are going to play a Shadow Game consisting of Dragon Cards." He then broke the seal by removing the rope that bound the box shut and bound it to the jar beneath it. "I did some more research, and I found out that the loser gets their soul devoured by the dragons in the jar."

"You need to stop," Twilight said. "This has gone far enough."

"Too late," the young man replied. "The rules are as follows: There is a deck of 75 cards. We both draw 6 cards from the same deck one after another. Each card depicts a dragon of one of the five elements (Wood, Fire, Metal, Earth, and Water) and has a level from one to five. There are three copies of each card, making a total of 75 cards. If a player collects three copies of the same card, they can summon its dragon. The players collect the strongest Dragon Cards they can and Summon two dragons each. The player who defeats their opponent's dragons wins. Good luck."

Twilight begrudgingly agreed and said, "Fine, I'll do it." They both then drew 6 cards to start the game.

The young man went first, drawing a level 4 water dragon card. He thought to himself, "Without the Alicorn Puzzle, she is all by herself." He then discarded a level 1 metal dragon card.

Twilight went next, drawing a level 5 fire dragon card and discarding a level 1 wood dragon card. She thought to herself, "I need to win."

Eventually, after several turns, Twilight was able to assemble two dragons. "I call upon a level 5 fire dragon and a level 4 metal dragon!" She then laid her cards out on the table.

The young man laughed and replied, "Not bad, but I can do better. I call upon a level 3 water dragon and a level 4 water dragon!" Then, mist filled the room as four dragons suddenly took shape in front of Twilight and the young man. "Water can beat both of your dragons! Let the battle begin!"

Both of the young man's water dragons immediately opened their mouths and sprayed water at Twilight's dragons, drowning them and killing them. "No! That means..."

"That's right," the young man replied. "I've always wanted to do this." He then stood up from his chair and pointed at Twilight, shouting, "Penalty Game!"

"No!" Suddenly, the level 4 water dragon the young man had stabbed Twilight with it's tail in her chest, pulling her soul out in the form of a black sphere and dissolving with it into the jar. As the young man sat back down, Twilight collapsed onto the desk.

"I win! Now your soul shall be devoured by 25 dragons!" The young man laughed. Then, he stopped when he realized that Twilight's right hand had fallen on the puzzle. "What?!"

Then, the other Twilight opened her eyes as she stood back up and said to herself, "Thank God... Thank God the other me was touching the puzzle..." She then focused on the young man. "We're playing another round. Also, give me the puzzle. Now!"

"Fine then," said the young man as he shuffled the cards and placed them back in the middle between them. He then took the puzzle off and handed it back to the other Twilight, who put it on quickly before drawing 6 cards. As the young man drew his 6 cards, he said, "Good luck."

The other Twilight coldly told him, "Rot in hell, you heartless son of a whore." She then drew the first card before discarding another.

The young man thought to himself as he took his turn, "So... There really is a soul within the puzzle... This certainly is a twist..."

After several turns, both the other Twilight and the young man were able to bring out dragons. The young man said, "I call upon a level 5 water dragon and a level 5 wood dragon!"

The other Twilight then drew another card and declared, "I call upon a level 4 earth dragon and a level 5 metal dragon! Now, attack!"

The 4 dragons then battled it out after forming from another mist cloud. As they did, the other Twilight and the young man watched intently. First, one of Twilight's dragons was killed. The young man said, "Hah! You're gonna lose again!"

Suddenly, Twilight's other dragon, the level 4 earth dragon, attacked both of the young man's dragons at the same time. "C'mon!" As they three wrestled, the level 4 earth dragon managed to gain the upper hand. As it destroyed its two opponents, the other Twilight yelled, "I win!"

"No," the young man replied in shock. "No way!"

The other Twilight then stood up from her table, her eyes and horn glowing. "Your little "penalty game" was insulting. This is what a real one feels like." She then pointed at the young man and shouted, "Penalty Game!"

Then, Twilight's remaining dragon stabbed the young man in the chest, ripping his soul out and dissolving with it into the jar as he collapsed onto the floor, dead. As it did, the normal Twilight's soul floated back into a happy other Twilight as she said to herself, "Welcome home, other me." She then took the rope for the seal and began resealing the game up, saying, "This must never be broken again... Game Over!"

PreviousChapters Next