• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 702 Views, 8 Comments

Change of Winds - Oddisee Exploits



What happens when Twilight and her friends end up reading the fan fictions of this world?

  • ...
0
 8
 702

Chapter 1

Tucked deep away in the Everfree Forest, there lays a particular structure untouched by civilization. Beyond the old abandoned castle ruins where the Elements of Harmony once laid, and buried beneath a thick outlay of vines rests a library. Forgotten by ponykind and left to rot in the lightless reaches of this forest. It must have been known at one point in time, how else would it have been built? But as the years passed, ponies must have left this place. There actually is a town not too far away from this library, or at least there was a town.

I have actually been to see the town before hoof. It looked like a nice place, at least from what I could tell. In it rests a town hall, a town center, and there was even a farmhouse. It seemed like it would have been a good place to live back in its prime.

But somewhere along the way, ponies must have grown tired of living there. Maybe it was an infestation of some sort? Or perhaps they wanted out of the Everfree Forest. This land was rather unpredictable, so I wouldn’t blame them if they became spiteful of the location.

Well whatever became of it, why it was abandoned and left to die along with anything else in this godforsaken land, I couldn’t care less.

*****

I walked lazily around the library, looking for something to eat. Yet again, I was running low on sustenance. All that was left were a few loaves of bread, some random assorted fruits and vegetables, and half a pitcher of lemonade.

I grabbed a dull knife in my mouth and sliced off one of the ends of a loaf, and decided to change up my diet by adding an apple to the meal. I’m living the dream life all right.

After the “incredible” dinner, I walked back to my desk to see if there were any new developments. Much to my surprise and delight, everything was in check. The desk was exactly how I left it; two stacks of books on the far right side. As I strolled over to pick up the first stack of books, I couldn’t help but smile. Maybe tonight would be different.

I placed each book in its designated spot based on genre and alphabetical order. Fortunately, I had already organized them into the same genre, romance, so it was just a matter of alphabetical placement.

The second stack of books was a bit larger than the first, each of them written in the horror category. A field I have become so tired of reading. Rolling the wheeled ladder along the bookshelves, I felt as though I had climbed up to this section more than any of the other sections. Holding as many books as I could while still being able to ascend the ladder, I placed the books where they belonged.

Two climbs later, I revisited my now clean desk. It was still dusty and covered with breadcrumbs, but I could look past that. Rarely did I see the desk completely void of books. But I doubted that it would stay that way for long. I pulled up my rocking chair, sat down, and awaited the inevitable appearance of my next book.

*****

I drifted off to sleep once or twice, but had awoken shocked and confused each time. Every time I look down at my desk, it has stayed the same. By that time every night I was usually burdened with at least one new story to read. There is always another book. Do not read me wrong, no pun intended, I was not saddened by this development. In fact I felt quite the opposite. I couldn’t remember the last time I had had peace for this long… because it had never happened.

Three hours had passed and still nothing interrupted my reconciliation. So rather than just sit there like a bump on a log, I decided to walk around my home. So that is what I did. Walking around the library, there were a few things that I hadn’t ever noticed before. Like how there actually were windows along the walls. There wasn’t much of a view, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

Something else that caught my eye was a bell system connected to the front doors. I pulled the string once out of curiosity. The musical chimes of the bell were soothing, relieving my stress instantly.

It seemed like it has been ages since I had just bummed around the library. And I enjoyed every second of it. Glancing through the shelves, every so often I would spot a book that I remembered appreciating. Most of them happened to be in the adventure or tragedy sections. I pulled out one book and smiled fondly at the cover page showing a colorful baby pegasus in an unfamiliar place.

A small tear began to well up in my eye. I contemplated reading the story again. The first time I read it, I slept with a smile on my face. And I knew in my heart that a second reading would end with the same results.

But alas, I was snapped back to reality when I heard an all too familiar sound. A sound I had almost forgotten; the sound of something heavy hitting something solid. A sigh escaped my lips; I shelved the book and slowly trudged back to see just what I had dreaded:

There on my desk sat another tome, unopened and in perfect condition.

I wanted nothing more than to just walk away from that desk. To leave this library and never return. I had spent my centuries in this library reading every single story to enter this the establishment. Yes, centuries. I have been alive for over a thousand years. I was blessed with immortality and cursed with it as well. Princess Celestia needed an eternal guardian. One to monitor this enchanted building. I looked at the corner of the room at my old set of armor, memories of my past flooding into my head.

Yes, I used to serve in the Royal Guard. A captain of the royal guard to be exact. After years of vigorous training, I was finally inducted into her majesty’s services. Being the only pegasus in my family, it was a great honor to serve her. And I eventually climbed my way to the exalted rank of captain. I couldn’t believe it then, and I still have trouble believing it.

Well, a few years passed and our country went to war. A disagreement between our Princess and the Queen of the Changelings, and the next thing I knew, I was leading our troops into battle. The war cost me my wife, my wings, and my life…

I was spared... If only I had been killed, but no. It's worse. I'm left here to suffer for my past sins. I can no longer feel pain or sorrow. I cannot die. I've lost count of how many times I have tried.

Well, to make a long story short, I was reinstated in the royal guard, but as a meaningless librarian. You see, this is not just any normal run-of-the-mill library. A few nights after the return of the infamous Nightmare Moon, some other supernatural event unfolded right here in the Everfree Forest. Some kind of magical instability took place where the Elements of Harmony laid dormant for centuries. But I’m just an earth pony with no knowledge of magic whatsoever.

But the Princess explained it as a connection between our world and another. Apparently, this other world had the ability to watch our world, but only at specific times. The inhabitance of this world took it upon themselves to write stories based on adventures they imagined us having, though only a specific few. Namely, the Princess’ prized pupil, Twilight Sparkle and her friends.

And so, to know exactly what was coming into our world, she assigned to me the task of monitoring this library and making sure nothing happens between Equestria and where ever these books are coming from. She comes by to check my discoveries once a month, as well as deliver some food, but aside from that, I am all alone out here.

Princess Celestia says that she greatly appreciates the work I do for her… but there have been times when I wonder if she is only using me so she doesn’t have to do my job. It wouldn’t be the first time someone has used me.

I must know exactly what is being put into our world and report to the princess. I admit that every now and then there has been a story that made me want to share it with others. But for every good book, there is an opposite to justify keeping this place hidden.

*****

Well, back to the book. I just stared at if for the longest time. It had ruined my only moment of peace in such a long time. So as you can imagine, I was not feeling too keen on reading it. I was more motivated to throw it out the window as opposed to do anything else with it.

I reached a reluctant hoof out to the cover, which I must admit is very well illustrated, and flipped it open. It looked to be a long read… fantastic.

Putting aside my petty anger, I leaned up in my chair and began to skim over the first page not really paying attention to what I was reading.

*****

After rereading the first few paragraphs, paying attention this time, I realized that this story actually wasn’t half bad. It wasn’t like other lackluster stories with a slapped-together story and poor grammar. No, this one was quite different. With different forms of literature littered throughout the paragraphs. I’d spent too long in a library to not notice these subtle arts.

Reading through, I found few things to complain about. The pacing was nice, it was based around a pony rarely used by authors, Lyra Heartstrings, and from the first page or so, I couldn’t tell what genre it was. Granted I knew it was romance based on the back of the book, but so far had I not seen it, I would have no clue.

And I may as well mention the cover art for this particular book was very well illustrated. I could tell that the main two ponies to be used in this story, and quite possibly to be “shipped” as they call it were Lyra and Doctor Whooves, as many know him. I had never met him before but it seemed that many authors liked him, and Lyra too. Though I can’t recall seeing this couple, or at least not in a long time.

But enough talk about the technical aspects and nitpicking of the book, the story itself was actually quite interesting. Most authors depicted Lyra as a, quote unquote, lesbian. Perhaps that title came with her spending much time with her friend Bon Bon, but I wouldn’t know. And maybe she is in a relationship with her, but either way it was a refreshing change to see Lyra represented as a straight mare.

Another thing that caught my eye was the use of her actual cutie mark. Odd how I’ve read many a books about the mint green mare and I can’t remember a single time she played a lyre. I suppose since that is her mark of destiny she must have talent in that instrument, but bizarre how it isn’t mentioned too often.

As the story continued, I was introduced to not only some impressive vocabulary on the author’s part, but I was also gifted with a love story that didn’t seem like a traditional love story. Everything seemed to check out from mention of Lyra’s actual talent to Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.

However, it was a love story nonetheless. And I have become so sick of reading stories based on the concept of falling in love. It’s monotonous to read what seems like the same story one hundred times and then one hundred more. No matter how well written it is, it’s always the same. Rarely have I seen a romance that actually engaged me.

But… Perhaps I was judging this book too harshly. It did begin unlike many romances before. And the style of writing was enjoyable enough to keep my focus. And at least it wasn’t another horror story, which I would consider my least favorite of them all.

Every story deserves the benefit of the doubt. With that in mind, I continued forth to finish the first chapter.

*****

The rise and fall of her chest mimicking the strumming of her instrument that she had played only hours before.

“There.” I said in relief. The first chapter would have to do for now. Over four thousand words was enough for now. I became quite tired, not to mention I had no intention of reading anything in the first place.

I closed the book and stumbled over to a mattress in the corner. Next to it was a glass of dusty water. As unappetizing as it was, I grabbed the glass and took a small sip, grimacing as the old, dirty water touched my tongue.

After forcing the liquid down, I pulled the covers of the mattress up and slid under them, giving my aching bones a chance to rest.

Staring up at the musty ceiling, I let my mind wonder off into the past. It seemed like an eternity since I had freewill, rather than being imprisoned in this fortified fortress of literature. I shouldn’t tease myself with the memories of old, but I can’t help it.

Sometimes I wonder, what would it be like if I just left?

What would I do? Perhaps… I could share my findings with Equestria. Show them a new world, beyond their reach but not their minds.

"I want to show them what I see."

--------------------

Thanks to theswimminbrony
The Time of Day - http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24905/The-Time-of-Day

Comments ( 8 )

no comments, likes, or dislikes? well then, I shall venture into the unknown and edit my comment after a good read! I wish you luck, sir!

This must have been weird for whatever mod read through it. I liked it.

And I am quite impressed! Liked, faved, tracked!

Thank you very much! More on the way soon. :pinkiehappy:

RB_

Nice concept, AND nice execution!
how rare to find the two together!
looking forward to more!

Sad? This sounded like it was intended for comedy :pinkiegasp:

I really like this. It's original, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Keep up the good work! :raritystarry:

Login or register to comment