• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 274 Views, 5 Comments

Of Fallen Stars & Ascension - Hop3l3ssRomantic



Daybreak is a star. Or she was until an age old promise sends her hurdling to Equestria. Now she needs to learn how to rule in a hundred sunrises.

  • ...
 5
 274

Wake Up

-Unknown-

I wake up and raise the sun like every morning. The serene essence of the big ball of light fills me with energy for the day. I flutter my wings and look out on the forest below my balcony. Restoring these ruins was a truly great idea, and when my younger sister finishes her trip she will finally move out of Canterlot and live with us here in the Everfree.
The sound of laughter brings a wide smile to my face and I follow it to the filly's bedroom. I open the door silently and sneak my way into the large room. A pair of colts and a few alicorn fillies of varying ages all play together. The oldest is Cadence's child, a filly of five years and quite remarkable. She takes after her mother in terms of magical potential. The next is a muted blue filly who is jumping around eagerly and is only two years. The third is barely old enough to be playing with them, as she is still in diapers. She is a white alicorn filly with purple and pink hair as well as striking purple eyes. The colt's are twins, the brothers of the second filly.

I smile fondly at the children, and almost don't notice a presence appear at my side. Almost. “They're precious aren't they?” Cadence asks. I look over at the beautiful Alicorn. Her entire being seems to radiate with pride. Still, though, something's off about her.

“Too bad Dusk couldn't join them. He loved his sister dearly.” I reply, fond memories of the young colt springing to mind. Cadence frowns and her happiness fades to a deep sorrow.

“As did Shining, but you know how the topic pains me.” She replies as she looks at me with pleading eyes. My heart nearly shatters at the look and I wrap a wing around her.

“You know how I feel about refusing to talk. You mustn't repress emotions.” I reply sternly. She leans into me and my eyes fall on the third filly, Evening Dust. My eyes water with memories of the purple alicorn who helped me through so much.
“It feels like a nightmare, one I wish I could WAKE UP from.” She say, for some reason putting extra enunciation on ‘wake up’.
“I know. We'll get through though. We always do. Come, let us leave the children to play and get some breakfast.” I tell her, and lead her to the dining room. We both wince as we pass the old library, which is once again gathering dust.
“Good morning Princesses. I hope you didn't have a hard time waking up this morning.” A few staff members say as we pass. Why do they all say the same thing?
We make it to the dining room, and are quite a way into our breakfasts when a guard enters. “Princess Day, a Doctor Swirl would like to speak to you.” The guard says. I smile and ask the guard to let them in.
The doctor enters, but is wearing a cloak that hid their identity. I leave it be and bid them good morning, as does Cadence.
“Princess, It is reported that some victims of trauma, during the act, would retreat into their mind. They would retreat into a fantasy world where that trauma has not happened. Their minds would leave little hints to tell them that they are asleep and need to WAKE UP. Even when a victim realizes it, they do not always allow themselves to leave behind this fantasy world. So PLEASE, WAKE UP.” They say. I narrow my eyes as anger fills my being.

“You dare to say that your world, your Princesses, your life and family are all a figment of imagination?” I ask. The doctor lowers their head. A blue aura surrounds the cloak and they remove it.
Before me stands Princess Luna, as she looked years ago. She is my height, taller than most ponies but not the true height of an alicorn, and her mane is long and free. Now she wears it in a complex updo that displays the ethereal qualities quite majestically. Her face bears a grim expression.
“What is this trickery? If you are a changeling, I must ask you to show your true form now. We bid no harm to changelings and haven't for many years.” I say, and she shakes her head. I cast a spell upon her that would show her true self, but it does nothing.
“I am no Changeling, though to hear that leads me to believe you will bring peace between us and the changelings. I am the true Luna, and have come to you from outside the dream realm that we are in. This is nothing but a dream Daybreak. You have to wake up.” She says. She flares her wings and walks closer to me, her voice becoming more desperate.
“You are but a filly in real life. Remember, show me the true you and wipe away this world of falsities.” Luna says. I frown. There is no way this could be true. Why would I imagine the death of dear friends and why would I imagine children? I shake my head.
“No way, this can't be true.” I reply, my voice wavering and cracking. The guards next to the door fade to shadow and the lighting significantly darkens.
“Day.” Cadence says, I turn my head and look fondly upon her. “This is a reaction a dream would have. I don't want to live in a world where I've lost my husband, son, and my sister in law. If this world isn't the true one, I'd choose to leave it.” She says. My heart cracks again at the sadness emanating from her. I sigh and look to Luna.
The area surrounding us softens and fades away until it is just me and Luna in a soft blue plane surrounded by floating balls of light. I look around, and realize I'm once again a filly. I look at Luna and she smiles kindly at me.
“You're fine my little pony. We were already in the process of saving you when you retreated to this world. Now you need to wake up, I'll see you in a bit.” Luna says before her horn lights up and she disappears.

Author's Note:

I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment