• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 451 Views, 6 Comments

Before Equestria Season One: The War Begins - StrangeFiction



Long before Hearth's Warming, there was the Great War between the three pony tribes. This is an account of that war.

  • ...
 6
 451

Episode 6 - A Day With the King

East Tower, Neighemburg Castle, Unicorn Kingdom, Morning – 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Star Swirl floated a couple scarves into his bag, horn glowing as he quickly and furiously packed away his things. He hadn’t slept well the previous night, as his mind fought with itself in furious battle – his ego against his logic. He knew Presto was right – he wasn’t nearly prepared enough to use his powers to their fullest potential. On the other hoof, Presto had humiliated him and ridiculed him in ways he found difficult to forgive.

It wasn’t until the sun was coming up that Star Swirl finally decided to go with the plan he had made the evening before. He wasn’t going to stay in Neighemburg. It was completely out of the question. He would find a way to do things on his own, and there was nopony who could convince him otherwise.

Star Swirl finished packing up his things, closing up his bag and slinging it across his back. He glanced around the room he’d been staying in one last time before heading down the stairs to the lab beneath him. He noticed the room across from his had its door open and was empty; Presto must be waiting downstairs to try and convince him to stay.

“I’m leaving, old stallion,” Star Swirl stated resolutely as he came to the bottom of the stairs. “I’ve had enough of your crap, and I refuse to remain in this tower a moment…” Star Swirl stopped in his tracks, shocked. He realized that Presto wasn’t waiting for him in the lab. King Golden Mark was.

“Hello, Star Swirl,” the King smiled at the stunned apprentice, seeming quite amused at the shock he induced. “Unfortunate that you’re leaving, as I was hoping to have you accompany me today. But, I guess if you’re tired of my crap…”

“No!” Star Swirl shouted, quickly trying to cover up his mistake. “I thought… I was hoping… I mean…” Suddenly getting his senses back, Star Swirl quickly bowed his head, touching his horn to the ground. “Your majesty, I thought somepony else was down here.”

“Presto is out attending to his duties. I visited him this morning for a report of how things were going, and the poor stallion looked completely distraught about something. I assured him that whatever it was, I’d be more than willing to help. It seems you and he had a bit of a falling out, hm?”

Star Swirl flinched. How much did the King know? He stopped his bow, but kept his eyes on the floor. “Yes, your highness. I don’t think I can be his apprentice anymore.”

“I understand,” the King looked out the window. “It can be hard, especially at your age, and with your abilities, to not think the highest of yourself. But what do you say? Will you come around with me for the day? Maybe postpone your leaving until tomorrow?”

Star Swirl suddenly realized what was being offered to him. A chance to follow the king around for a whole day! To see what a ruler does in his everyday work… this was an opportunity very few had, and he’d have to be an idiot to not take it. Star Swirl looked up at the king, making eye contact and seeing the kindness in the king’s eyes. Star Swirl was about to have a great day, he could tell.

“Y-Yes, of course, your highness,” Star Swirl was hardly believing his good fortune. “Just let me put my things back upstairs.”

“Please be quick. We have much to do today.”

Star Swirl rushed upstairs, throwing his bag on his bed and teleporting back down to the lab. The King turned and walked out of the lab’s door, Star Swirl eagerly following close behind.


Unicorn Embassy, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Morning - 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Smooth Speaker stood out in the embassy courtyard, watering can floating beside her in the air. Her staff might be gone, but she was determined to make certain the yard out front stayed looking just as nice as the gardener had left it. The building, originally meant for a full staff of around twenty, was very empty with only three ponies occupying it.

The excess staffs of both the Pegasus and Unicorn embassies had left the previous day, returning to their respective nations. Dark Cloak was due to arrive the next day, so all ambassadorial duties fell on Smooth’s shoulders until then. She looked down at the flowers she was watering, sighing. She was delaying the mountains of papers she had to go through.

She looked over to the gate, locked, as with reduced guard they couldn’t have somepony posted there at all times. She felt closed off from the world in a way she never had been before. No longer did she have any friends in the Earthen Capital, just the two guards standing a ways off, talking to each other and glancing over at her every so often.

Suddenly, shouts could be heard down the street. The guards immediately ended their conversation and tensed up, as it sounded like trouble. Smooth Speaker quickly trotted to the gate and gazed down the street, her guards right behind her.

“Protesters,” one of the guards muttered under his breath.

Indeed, a large group of ponies were walking down the street, signs in some of their mouths, and some simply shouting. Protests weren’t something too out of the ordinary for the Earthen Republic, and the people had the freedom to protest as they liked. Still, Smooth always felt uneasy when these sorts of things were happening.

The majority of the Republic were fine with the decision of the Senate, but many were also negatively affected by those same decisions, or had friends or family hurt by the war in various ways. Their hurts were legitimate, but Smooth Speaker no longer felt safe walking the Capital. She didn’t want to deal with this, and walked back towards the embassy building.

Just as she got to the door, the protesters arrived at the gate. Upon seeing her, one of the Earth Ponies shouted and beckoned others over. The crowd began shouting through the gate, and Smooth picked up some of their words.

“This War shouldn’t affect us… Leave and come back when you’re at peace… To Tartarus with you AND the Pegasi!”

Smooth turned back to the doors again, entering the embassy. One of the guards entered behind her, and the doors shut. One guard remained outside, standing in front of the door.

“When is Dark Cloak going to be arriving?”

Smooth looked at her guard, Metal Eye. “Tomorrow. Why?”

Metal Eye glanced out the window at the protesters. “With your permission, ambassador, I would like to see him safely here. I don’t think it would be in anypony’s interest to have an attack on a diplomat within the capital.”

“Agreed.” Smooth Speaker walked towards her office. “He should be entering the Capital City through the North Gate. You can meet him there. Make sure he gets to this building safely.”

Smooth headed straight to her office. No point delaying all the papers that were waiting for her now. One thing was certain about the Earthen Republic - there was no end to the papers that needed filling out.

As she entered her office, she flicked the curtains closed with her hoof, lighting a couple of candles on her desk with magic. No distractions. If she could get through this paperwork, she could rest. The closed curtains, however, did not drown out the sound of the protesters outside, and she soon found herself staring at the curtains, unable to focus on the stacks of paper before her.

After several minutes of this, she finally scooped up the piles with a levitation spell and marched out of her office to the other side of the building, away from the front gate. She stepped into one of her advisor’s old offices and resumed work, but found her thoughts drifting again and again.

She thought of all the events since the Sack on Swirling Creek. This past week had seemed like an eternity, a Tartarish nightmare that would never end. Her people were being attacked by a strong nation, and all she could do was get the news from a distance and obey orders - continue as though nothing happened.

Continue as though her staff hadn’t been reduced when work was piling up, as though her friends and family back home weren’t in danger of dying in a war she had no control over, as though there were no protesters outside yelling at her to leave… as though she hadn’t shunned her closest and dearest friend because she had wings.

Smooth Speaker closed her eyes. Thinking this way was dangerous. She was maintaining a relationship with an important ally, one that provided vital resources for her people’s survival. She couldn’t worry about a relationship she once had with one who was now an enemy. She had to stay strong for her Kingdom, her race.

She wiped away the tears that had come to her face, steeled herself, and focused on the papers on the desk in front of her.


West Tower, Neighemburg Castle, Unicorn Kingdom, Morning – 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

As the King led Star Swirl up the stairs of the West Tower of Neighemburg Castle, Star Swirl couldn’t help but feel more important than he was. Pony after pony that they passed bowed their heads in respect before continuing in their work, parchment floating all around in the air and voices rising to pronounce one important thing or another.

The West Tower was the bureaucratic section of the castle, where money was handled and papers were signed. Star Swirl had never really been interested in visiting it before now, but now he was looking around wondering what secrets could be learned from the parchments and voices that surrounded him. King Golden Mark looked back at him.

“I suppose I don’t have to tell you that this is the most important section of the castle,” the King began. “I spend as much time here as I do anywhere else while in Neighemburg. I don’t like to micro-manage my Kingdom, but there needs to be an order to things to maintain unity among the ponies.”

The two continued their climb, and the noises began to soften as they left the majority of the offices behind them. They reached the top of the stairs and approached a wooden door that had a symbol engraved in it, which Star Swirl instantly recognized as being the mark of Drake Mace. The King approached the door, and Star Swirl, expecting his ruler to just open the door and go in, nearly ran into him as Golden Mark stopped and knocked.

“Enter!” came a stallion’s voice from within. Star Swirl followed as the King entered the sizable office at the top of the tower, regal and with large paintings on the walls. Sitting behind the desk was Drake Mace, Right Hoof of the King.

“Your Highness,” Mace didn’t even get up from his desk as he looked up at his visitors. “A bit late today, sir?”

“Delayed a bit, Drake. Young Star Swirl here is accompanying me, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course not! I hope you haven’t been scaring him too much?”

The two stallions laughed, and Star Swirl stared at them in shock, not leaving the doorway. This all seemed so casual, so friendly! Drake Mace’s behavior seemed almost disrespectful!

“Oh, do come in, Star Swirl. Close the door behind you. There’s much to discuss.” Mace beckoned the young stallion further into the room with his hoof, turning his attention to some papers on his desk. Star Swirl obliged, closing the door behind him with magic and moving towards the desk. As he sat in a chair next to the King, he quickly looked over the papers on the desk.

Some of the papers appeared to be requests for various thing by communities throughout the kingdom, others reports from guilds and organizations. Star Swirl recognized some names on the parchments - Dark Cloak, Hound, Coin Purse… but there were plenty of unfamiliar ones as well - Smooth Speaker and Fish Friar. He even caught a glimpse of a parchment bearing the seal of the Alicorn Castle (an alicorn flying into the air, the sun behind it). He also noted markings that seemed to be made by Drake Mace, lines crossing things out or circles around various words or phrases. It looked as if the King’s Right Hoof went through all correspondence that entered the castle on behalf of the King.

“Now,” King Golden Mark initiated the business. “What do the unicorns of this kingdom want?”

“With the war starting, the requests for extra soldiers for protection are much greater than usual.” Drake Mace floated a map to the desk, unfurling it on top of the many other papers. The King and he began discussions on where troops could be sent, as well as what places in the kingdom were better to protect due to strategic and productive advantages. Star Swirl was surprised at how in depth the discussion got, with the two older stallions throwing ideas off of each other.

“We should send troops up to the Alicorn Castle to protect the priests. It would be disastrous should the Pegasi choose to prevent the normal movement of the sun and moon,” King Golden Mark pointed at a mark in the Northern part of the Kingdom.

“Absolutely not!” Star Swirl started at Drake Mace’s sudden outburst, quickly looking at the King. Surely such an outburst warranted punishment of some sort? At least an angry glare from the King? However, the king simply looked up and listened to Drake Mace’s next words. “The Priests would never forgive us. They want to maintain their neutrality, and having troops positioned even in the vicinity of the Alicorn Castle would be seen as insulting and treacherous. The services they provide benefit all of the three tribes, and we must trust that that alone will keep them safe. The Pegasi are an intelligent people and will be willing to help them maintain their neutrality.”

The King nodded. “Of course. Excuse my foolishness, Drake. I suppose I jumped to conclusions a bit quickly there.”

The discussions moved on as if Drake’s outburst and (in Star Swirl’s mind) impudence hadn’t occurred. Star Swirl began to phase in and out of the conversation, his mind on what had happened.

“Isn’t that your home village, Star Swirl?”

“What?” Star Swirl was brought back to the present about half an hour later.

“Sunflower Meadows. Your home, is it not?” Drake Mace was pointing to a small village in the East, close to the border between the Unicorn Kingdom and the Pegasus Nation. Star Swirl nodded, mentally scolding himself for not focusing on the discussion.

“Well, it’s the last matter of business in our meeting today.” King Golden Mark smiled over at Star Swirl. “Being as close to the border as the town is, we’ve been considering setting up a military outpost in the town. How do you think the locals will feel about that?”

Star Swirl pondered a moment. “I wouldn’t recommend it. The town is not very well defended, as there isn’t even a castle or keep for ponies to retreat to. It would probably be overlooked by the Pegasi if you left it alone, as it’s a purely farming community.”

Drake Mace and the King looked at each other. “But it’s your hometown. Don’t you want it to have the extra protection?”

Star Swirl shrugged. “I’m trying not to let my personal feelings sway me. The ponies there have survived without much extra help from the crown for many decades. Mostly by being unassuming. I don’t know if they’d much appreciate the added security, as it also makes the area much more targetable.”

Drake Mace nods. “Fair enough. There are several other locations we’ve been considering. I’ll talk to Floren a bit more about this and then get back to you, your majesty.”

Star Swirl started. “Wait! You shouldn’t change your mind on my account. I’m nobody! I…”

“Nonsense!” King Golden Mark turned to the young stallion. “You are one of the Kingdom’s subjects, and thus have just as much right to be heard as anyone, and you know more about your home then either Drake or I, so your word on this matter is worth much more than either of ours. Your age and experience have nothing to do with it, nor does your position within this castle.” King Golden Mark turned back to his counselor. “Well, Drake. Star Swirl and I have much left to do today, so if you’ll excuse us…”

“Of course, of course.” He didn’t even look up from his papers as he waved his hoof in the air. The King turned and started out the door, Star Swirl close behind. Before heading down the stairs, King Golden Mark stopped and turned his head slightly towards Star Swirl.

“If you didn’t matter,” the King began. “If you truly were nobody, do you think I would have invited you to accompany me today?” Without another word, the old stallion started down the stairs. Star Swirl paused a moment, letting those words sink in, before following.


Council Chambers, Sky Fortress, Sky City, Pegasus Nation, Midday - 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Most of the Admirals filed out of the room to attend to their various duties. The meeting had just ended, wherein the news from Admiral Glory Wings in the Unicorn Kingdom had been read and discussed. It was accepted that all she said, including the report about Noble’s mutiny, was true and therefore the general vote of the Council of Admiralty was that Thunder Cloud could keep his position and could continue to lead the Pegasus forces in their invasion.

Starry Sea stayed behind, holding Moon Lander back as well. She idly engaged in small talk with him, watching the other Admirals file out of the chambers in her peripheral vision. When the last one left, her face became serious.

“Glory Wings is lying.”

“That we can both agree on, Starry.”

“This isn’t how it was supposed to go,” Starry Sea turned and looked out the window on Sky City below them. “We sent Noble to reel in Thunder Cloud. He’s reckless and should never have been given his command!”

“Again, I’m not disagreeing with you. But what can we do? The Council has made its decision, and we need to accept that. We’ll come up with other plans.” The old stallion stood beside the angry mare, also looking out over the city. “Noble was too weak. Too timid. Too cautious.”

Starry spun towards Moon Lander. “Which is why he was the perfect balancer for Thunder Cloud!”

“We underestimated his ruthlessness.”

“And now we know Glory Wings is on his side! How many other Admirals support his methodology and mindset? This could be the end of our nation!”

“If there’s one thing I’ve learned over my years on this council, it’s that sometimes you have to lie in wait.” Starry looked at him incredulously. “We play our hooves close to our chests. Don’t let the other Admirals know we’re worried. We size up the situation, and then strike when the timing and circumstances are correct.”

The two pegasi went silent, watching as a unit of pegasi soldiers marched from the training grounds below the tower towards a sky fortress at the mountain’s edge. Regular citizens watched as they passed the homes and shops down the main road, never wavering from their straight rows and columns. Finally, Moon Lander broke the silence.

“Can you promise me you’ll not do anything crass?”

Starry Sea sighed. “I don’t like the idea of inactivity, letting others act while we do nothing…” She turned to him, brows furrowed in frustration, but acceptance in her expression. “I’ll wait.”


Unicorn Embassy, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Midday- 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

The protesters had moved on. The guards seemed less tense without the yelling crowd outside the gate. Smooth Speaker was sitting in the embassy’s kitchen, a steaming mug filled with herbal tea sitting on the counter in front of her. She watched the steam rise from the liquid, almost dancing as the changes in the air moved it around.

She focused on just the steam, allowing all else to fade. Any thoughts that came across her mind she allowed to pass, and all emotions that came up she simply allowed to sit, not reacting. In this meditative state, she could almost forget her troubles and worries. But not completely, and the real world was still going to keep her from fully relaxing.

“Ma’am.”

Smooth started from her meditation and looked to see Metal Eye standing at the door.

“There’s a representative of the Pegasus Nation at the gate. Says he comes with news from Ambassador Firebreath. Important information about the attack that your nation may want to know.”

“I’ll meet him by the gate.” Smooth cast a quick cooling spell and drank her tea, then followed her guard out. As they exited the embassy through the front doors, she noticed a pegasus stallion on the other side of the gate, who turned and smiled as they approached.

“Smooth Speaker. A pleasure,” the stallion gave a slight bow of his head. “I’m Magnum Flyer, Ambassador Firebreath’s assistant and council. I hope that despite the war raging between our two nations, we can keep our professional relationship as amiable as possible.”

Smooth Speaker didn’t respond, sizing up the stallion. He seemed physically fit, probably middle-aged, so older than either of the ambassadors. His slick, darkened mane, perfectly trimmed blue coat, and almost too wide grin betrayed him as a politician through and through. He continued to smile without saying a word, obviously wanting a response before continuing.

“Mr. Flyer,” began Smooth. “I heard you had some news? A message?”

Magnum frowned, obviously having wanted some more small talk before getting straight to business, but shrugged. “We have received word that the actual perpetrator of the orders against the Earthen town of Swirling Creek was not General Thunder Cloud as was previously thought, but rather his second-in-command, Colonel Noble, who made the attack without approval from his superior officer.”

Smooth noticed that Magnum Flyer was almost pained at delivering this news, and there was doubt in his voice. “So he’s the one to be punished, then?”

“Yes… if he’s found. Unfortunately, he is on the lam. In your kingdom.” Magnum looked down the road, as if not wanting to be heard. “It would be in both our nations interest to not have him roaming around, so if you could pass this information on to the Unicorn Kingdom’s aristocracy, that would be most helpful.” Magnum turned his head to look down the other side of the street, and then seemed to drop his professional composure. “That’s the official message. I believe Noble is being framed, and it would actually be in both our nations best interest if he was to survive.”

Smooth Speaker was taken aback by this. Not only Magnum Flyer’s sudden change in tone, but his desperate delivery of this news.

“Look,” continued Magnum. “You can tell your government whatever you’d like… nothing if you want to. Just know that Noble is more than just that stallion’s name. It’s his entire identity, and the whole of the three tribes would be worse off without him.”

Smooth didn’t know how to respond. She stared at the stallion through the gate, when she heard one of her guards shout.

“Back into the embassy, Ambassador! Quickly!”

Smooth and Magnum both started at this, then Smooth noticed a loud rumbling, like an approaching thunderstorm. She looked around and noticed smoke rising from a building the next street over. From around the corner came a large group of earth ponies, shouting and yelling. It looked to be a different group from the protestors before, and this group looked to be out for blood.

“A Pegasus!” A voice clearly shouted from the crowd, and immediately rocks came flying out and falling all around Magnum Flyer. He turned as if to run, but then a large rock whacked him in the back of his head. After a slight daze, he sloppily took flight, putting some distance between him and the rioters.

Smooth didn’t need any additional warning, and turned and ran back to the embassy building. Just as she got to the door, rocks began flying through the gate towards her and her guards. The doors quickly closed behind her, and her guards barricaded them with planks, starting to cast defensive spells on the door and windows facing the street.

Smooth Speaker glanced out the window, and saw many of the crowd starting to push against the gate. She knew it wouldn’t hold forever, and quickly ran upstairs to continue preparing their defenses.


Pegasus Embassy, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Midday- 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Firebreath was sitting on the steps outside, enjoying the warm day while eating her lunch. Both the embassies guards were standing nearby, lounging as well. The younger one, Dragon Scale, was reading a guard manual, while the elder, Thunder Chaser, was simply watching the clouds drift by. It was a peaceful scene, and Firebreath smiled as she bit into her hay sandwich. She wished this moment could be the state of things all the time.

Suddenly, Thunder Chaser tensed up. “Firebreath! Look!” She did so, and saw her councilor, Magnum Flyer, dizzily flying towards the embassy at a dangerous speed. She quickly flew up to steady him, the two guards right behind her. They guided him in to a controlled crash in front of the embassy doors.

“Riots… got hit with a rock… coming…” They carried him into the embassy, closing the doors behind them. His head had a nasty, bloodied bump, and the stallion certainly had a concussion. “We’ve got to… leave…”

“You’re in no mode to fly, my friend.” Firebreath ran to a nearby first aid kit, pulling out the supplies she would need. “We’re staying here until you get better.”

Noises of a crowd began to be heard outside. Thunder Chaser went to the window and looked out, then scowled. “Dragon Scale, start barricading the doors and windows. We need to get ready for a long day.”

The two guards ran off to do so, while Firebreath continued working on Magnum, who Firebreath now saw had overextended his wings during his desperate flight. Firebreath grabbed a nearby waterskin and put it to his mouth. He drank deeply, and then beckoned her away when he was done.

“What exactly happened, Magnum?” Firebreath dabbed his head wound with a wet towel, cleaning off the blood on the bump.

“I was… ow, careful with that… I was delivering the message when a crowd of Earth Ponies rounded the corner of the street and began throwing rocks. I got hit and flew back here as quick as I could. On the way, I saw another crowd forming, headed in our direction.” He seemed to look through Firebreath. “I’m very dizzy.”

“It was probably adrenaline that got you here. Now that’s wearing off, you might feel like taking a nap. Don’t. We’re going to be keeping you awake until we can get you looked at by an actual doctor. I’d rather not have a comatose assistant.” Firebreath was now bandaging his head, wrapping fabric around to hold gauze to the lump. “So what of Smooth Speaker and the Unicorn embassy? Is everything alright over there?”

“Not sure. I flew off pretty quick, but I did see them running into their embassy as the crowd got to the gate. So… probably in the same situation we are. Except we can fly out of here.” Magnum tried to stand up, but fell back on his rump after tottering a bit. “Well, you can. Grab the guards and leave.”

“We’re not leaving you.”

Magnum sighed. “I figured as much. I guess we’ll just have to hope the rioting dies down, then…”


Neighemburg Castle, Throne Room, Afternoon – 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

The rest of the morning had been spent signing documents and discussing smaller matters throughout the kingdom, and included visits with other members of the King’s Council. It didn’t much interest Star Swirl, but every once in a while some juicy information came up, and so he listened intently.

Coin Purse told King Golden Mark that the blacksmiths had raised their prices, despite the increased need of work, and therefore she was going to threaten them with raised taxes if they didn’t better support the war efforts. King Golden Mark defused the situation by sending out an order for the kingdom to provide extra materials to reduce costs. Coin Purse’s anger abated and she nodded in understanding. “Kindness is important. We don’t want to be tyrannical, Coin Purse.”

Floren Daisy reported unrest among some of the kingdom’s youth, who were protesting the war. She recommended a campaign to emphasize that it was the Pegasi attacking the Unicorn Kingdom, and this was a defensive war. The King was unsure this was the best idea, as it was likely these younger ponies simply didn’t want to be drafted into service. When Floren insisted her idea would work, the King nodded. “I trust your expertise in this matter, Floren. It’s why I appointed you, after all.”

Star Swirl was surprised that a stallion with such power as the King had was willing to give in to the requests of his lessers and underlings when he could easily overrule their ideas. Even when the King was sure of his ideas, he still allowed others to make decisions contrary to his own. It fascinated Star Swirl.

“Your highness, the young urchins on the streets need a place to stay and eat. It’s getting harder for them to survive.” The old mare stood before the throne, pleading in her eyes. Star Swirl was standing near the windows, watching the king welcome citizens of Neighemburg and their requests. “I’m asking for just a small amount, to provide them with food and a place to stay.

Star Swirl looked at King Golden Mark as the stallion thought. “Money is tight now that we’re at war…” The mare looked downtrodden at this, looking to the floor. “But we could spare food from our own kitchens, and there is a nearby home that has been abandoned recently. They can take up residence there, and there will be daily delivery of foods.” A nearby scribe scribbled this all down before giving the orders to one of several messengers who were nearby. The messenger ran off, eager to deliver these orders.

“Thank you, your majesty!” The old mare bowed to the floor. King Golden Mark waved his hoof, and she left through the doors, a wide grin on her face.

Upon the doors closing, one of the guards looked at a list in his hoof. “That was the last one, King Golden Mark. Looks like we’re finishing up early today.”

“Excellent. You are all dismissed.” As the various ponies in the throne room began leaving, Star Swirl hesitated. Did the King also mean him? A beckoning gesture from the king answered his question, and he trotted over to stand before the throne. “Star Swirl, we’ve been unable to talk up to this point, do you have any questions?”

Star Swirl opened his mouth to respond, but an explosion was heard outside, followed by some yelling. King Golden Mark immediately leaped from his throne and ran to the door, Star Swirl close behind.


Neighemburg Castle, Courtyard, Afternoon - Six Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

“Idiots! Just because I say something can be done doesn’t mean you should try it!” Presto was infuriated, holding two stallions in place with a spell as he berated them. “A joint spell requires preparation, and a powerful caster as a focus to control and guide the magic. Amateurs such as yourselves don’t have a chance of using such an advanced method!”

Snipes was casting water from her horn, putting out the fires that had been started by the explosive magic. Some guards were helping in the first aid of some of the trainees who had unfortunately gotten caught up in the violent magical misfire. There was quite a bit of blood, but luckily all the injuries were simple enough to deal with, mostly minor to middling burns. The trainees that weren’t involved were standing off to one side, watching wide-eyed at everything going on. They barely even reacted when the King trotted in from behind them.

“What’s all this?”

“They tried to cast a dual spell. Master Presto had mentioned it in passing earlier today. It didn’t work out.” The answering trainee turned and saw who he was talking to, gave a yelp, and bowed low to the ground. The other trainees quickly followed suit as Star Swirl ran past them to assist Snipes in putting out the fires.

The King ignored the trainees as he marched up to Presto, who was still shouting at the two held stallions.

“Presto!” The magician dropped his spell as he turned to the king. “I can’t have these incidents in my castle, especially with everyone on guard due to the ongoing war! Will you need to move these training sessions off castle grounds?”

Presto gave a quick bow. “No, sir. There will be no more incidents.” He glared back at the two stallions he had just released, who were now frozen in fear. “I’m certainly going to be more careful what I say, and not assume intelligence in my trainees.”

“Consider this your first and only warning, then.” Presto nodded and looked around to see if any additional action was necessary. Star Swirl and Snipes were putting out the last fire, the guards were carrying out one trainee who seemed especially burned on her rump, and the rest of the trainees seemed to be recovering fine from their shock and injuries.

Snipes walked back over to Presto, giving a bow to the king. Star Swirl stayed a ways back, seeming almost too interested in the scorched stone of one of the castle walls. Presto started to move towards him, but the King put his hoof out to hold the old stallion back.

“This evening, friend. Now’s still not the time. Don’t worry - I think he’ll be staying in the end. Even if he doesn’t change his mind on his own, I’m sure an order from me will keep him here.” Presto raised an eyebrow at this. The King chuckled. “We need him. I’m seeing that more than ever now. As usual, you were right, my friend.”

Presto smiled. “Thank you, your majesty.”

King Golden Mark looked to the sky, noting the position of the sun. “Come, Star Swirl! We’re going to be late for a meeting with the General!” King Golden Mark briskly walked back into the castle, Star Swirl following behind.

Snipes looked at Presto, awaiting instruction. Presto looked out at the remaining trainees, who were quietly talking with each other, likely about the recent events and the fact that their trainer’s apprentice was traveling with the King. Juicy gossip, Presto was sure.

“Everypony line up! We are going to go back over basic magic safety, since apparently some ponies…” Another glance at the two stallions, who looked everywhere except towards Presto. “...have forgotten.”


Unnamed Forest, Unicorn Kingdom, Evening – 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Noble and Giulianno had spent the last day traveling mostly in silence, both still exhausted and on edge from the battle the previous night. Noble didn’t want to stop, however, because he knew that he was likely still pursued by Pegasus forces, despite the fact that they hadn’t seen any all day. Giulianno wasn’t complaining about them moving forward, although he moved slowly, stopping from time to time to scavenge for various plants and berries. Noble made sure not to get too far from his traveling companion, and they made slow but steady progress towards the mountains that divided the Unicorn Kingdom and Pegasus Nation.

They hadn’t come across any particularly dangerous wildlife, although Giuliano had stopped Noble from eating some berries the dogfolk said would cause terrible indigestion. Having little worries and finally beginning to succumb to their lack of sleep, they agreed to make camp for the night as the sun was setting on the Western horizon. Giuliano created a fire as Noble flew about, securing their location. When he glided back to the campsite, the fire was already burning bright. The two companions sat on opposite sides of the fire in silence for a while before Noble spoke up.

“So, Giuliano. You work with alchemy?”

“Explosives. For mining. Tough work, but has come in handy, Noble would agree?”

Noble nodded, remembering the strange pouch that had incinerated the remains of the massive timber wolf the night before. “Dangerous work, too, I would assume?”

Giuliano lifted up his left paw, and Noble noted that it was missing it’s pinkie. Noble shuddered at the thought of an explosion taking away a part of him forever.

“I discovered other uses for the ingredients I used. Things to heal, things to induce sleep, things to kill…” Giuliano shook his head. “But dogfolk want only gems. Only explosives. Not see full potential of my abilities. So I go. Now sell to ponies that will buy, but not many. Ponies not trust dogfolk. Tell me, ‘go back where you came from!’”

“Where are you from? Don’t see many dofolk around anymore.”

“Even if away, still loyal to people. Underground, but no specifics.”

“I understand. It must be hard, being on your own.” Noble tilted his head slightly, realizing something. “This is the first time I’ve ever been on my own. I went straight from my parent’s home to basic training. I’ve always had somebody to tell me what to do, who to be… it’s odd to think about, but I think the first real choice I made for myself was to flee from that Unicorn outpost.”

“What winged pony doing in horned pony outpost?”

Noble looked across the flame at the dogfolk, realizing the poor fellow must not know. “The Pegasus Nation is invading the Unicorn Kingdom. We’re at war.” Giuliano raised his eyebrows at this, surprised. “I was second in command of the forward fortress, the first invading force into Unicorn territory.”

“Why Noble leave?”

“I fled for my life.” Noble related his tale, from the Sack of Swirling Creek until the point where he had rescued Giuliano from the timber wolves. “Now my only goal is to clear my name in the Pegasus Nation. Then it’ll likely be back to the front lines of the war.”

“Noble doesn’t sound excited at this.”

Noble was taken aback by this, about to protest, when he realized that Giuliano was right. He had so many doubts about what was going on, so much he wanted to be different. He just nodded, and the two sat in silence for a bit longer. Noble watched the fire crackle and begin to die down as time went on, before finally breaking the silence.

“Are you okay taking the first watch?” Giuliano nodded. “Then good night. Wake me when you wish to sleep.” Noble curled up on the ground, propping his head up on his foreleg. Sleep was quick to overtake his senses.


Neighemburg Castle, Throne Room, Night – 6 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

It took some convincing, but General Hound had finally agreed to let Star Swirl stay for the meeting, although the King had been willing to ask the young stallion to sit it out if Hound was unconvinced. Hound was a loyal stallion, but also very distrusting, keeping most ponies a leg’s length away at all times. Golden Mark had come to expect this of his military leader, but was a small disadvantage compared to the stallion’s military and strategic expertise.

The meeting moved fairly quickly, and Golden Mark was satisfied that the war efforts were moving in the right direction. Star Swirl was strangely quiet through the meeting’s proceedings, barely even observing. Hound didn’t seem to mind, but Golden Mark wanted to figure out what was going through the colt’s mind. He quickly wrapped up the meeting so that the two of them could talk back at the throne room.

Once there, the King sat at his throne and beckoned for Star Swirl to take a seat next to him, in one of the councillor's chairs. They sat in silence for a few moments, looking at the extents of the throne room. Sizable, with plenty of space for special events or large hearings. The King only remembered it being filled to overflowing once - at his own coronation.

“You obviously have a lot on your mind, young stallion,” the King broke the silence. “You must have some questions for me, and know that anything you ask will be answered honestly.”

Star Swirl didn’t hesitate. “Why did you allow ponies to speak against you?”

“Against me? I don’t recall anypony doing that today.”

“Mace outright told you one of your ideas was bad, Hound shot down several of your ideas, Florence Daisy fought you until she got her way, and Coin Purse…”

“Those are my council. They were counselling me.”

“But you’re the King! What you say, goes!”

Golden Mark laughed. “I’m glad that’s not the case! This Kingdom would have fallen years ago.” He paused. “My responsibility is to the unicorns of the Kingdom. It is my duty as King to keep them safe, fed, and housed to the best of my ability. But my ability isn’t enough. It’s why I surround myself with intelligent ponies such as Hound, Florence, and Presto.”

Star Swirl looked away at this. Golden Mark could tell that he was beginning to feel remorse for his actions, but now was the time to teach, not shame.

“Yes, I have more power than any of them, but I am always willing to admit that I’m not right about everything, and I make mistakes. It’s something that’s very important for, I believe, everypony to do. Do you know what I’m talking about, Star Swirl?”

“Humility.” Star Swirl looked up at the King, a new sort of resolve in his eyes. “Despite all the power and strength you may have, realizing that you need others, you need help.”

Golden Mark smiled and nodded. “I am just a pony. I make mistakes from time to time. As we all do.”

The two fell into silence once again, Golden Mark settling back on the throne to take a rare moment to relax a bit. His imagination filled the room with the various ponies there for his coronation, his younger brother smiling supportively from the base of the stairs to the throne, an Alicorn Priest levitating the crown to his head, and all looking attentively at him as he gives his speech swearing his life and all that he is to the protection of the Unicorn Kingdom. Finally, his mother (may she rest in peace) kissing him on his cheek, whispering how proud his father would have been.

“I’ll stay.” Golden Mark started from his recollections, turning his head to Star Swirl. The pony was now standing, giving a slight bow. “With your leave, your highness, I will return to Presto and apologize for my actions.”

“Go on. I’ll expect both of you at the small council meeting tomorrow morning.”

Star Swirl looks up, surprised. “Both of us?”

“You will only speak when asked to. You’ll be there as an observer, not a council member; however, this is a great honor and I expect everything said in the meeting to be kept secret.”

“Of course, King Golden Mark! Thank you so much. For everything.” Star Swirl trotted to the door. Just before exiting, he turned back to the King. “Will we win this war?”

The smile faded from Golden Mark’s face. “Time will tell, Star Swirl. Time will tell.”

Star Swirl nodded soberly before turning once again to leave. As the door closed behind him, King Golden Mark walked to the window to see the last of the light fading from the sky. “Time will tell,” he repeated to himself.

Author's Note:

Gosh, this took forever for me to get out there. Woof! I've just been struggling... Hopefully they'll be coming more frequently now... Maybe not, though. I'll try!

Comments ( 1 )

Had kinda forgotten about this story and had to re-read it after noticing the update.
But I'm glad I did. Very interesting story so far, good work. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment