• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 3,157 Views, 48 Comments

The Long Life of Breeze Rider - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of a human turned pegasus, turned teacher, turned Wonderbolt. Follow Breeze Rider's Life.

  • ...
12
 48
 3,157

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Love is on the Breeze

The Grand Galloping Gala. To some, it’s an elegant affair where the wealthiest of the wealthy and the smarmiest of the smarmy gather to discuss trivial matters. To others, it’s an excuse to come to Canterlot and try and meet some well-known names or achieve some other type of reasonable goal. To me, it’s always usually just a waste of an evening.

I’ve been getting 2 invitations every year for the past 4 years, one for being “Sir Breeze Rider” and one for being “Breeze Rider of the Wonderbolts.” As the most exciting thing of the night is our opening performance, I always show up as a member of the Wonderbolts. I could show up just in a tuxedo as well and be allowed in, but then I wouldn’t be able to partake in what little fun there is to be had at the Gala. I had gained a unique nickname from my work involving the Gala though.

Some people called me “The Breeze of Love” whenever the Gala would roll around. This was because while my Wonderbolt ticket was only for me, my other ticket was for a ‘Pony’ and a ‘Plus One.’ I didn’t want my tickets to go to waste, so I usually spent a day or so using my powers to go out and find a couple that would enjoy going to the Gala. These couples usually always ended up married, or at the least, madly in love with one another. It was for this reason that I had a nickname around Gala time.

The day before the Gala, as we wrapped up our final practice session before the Gala tomorrow night, I went to ask Spitfire if I could be excused to go and find this year’s ticket bearers.

“I really don’t know why you go to all that trouble Breeze Rider, but I have no reason to stop you. I have to go and get prepped for the Gala soon too.” Spitfire told me, seeming to almost blush a bit at telling me something like that.

“All right then Spitfire. You’re more than welcome to come with me to Ponyville. There are several amazing make-up and clothing artists there, who I am well acquainted with. Bring Soarin too.” I added, worried she might have misunderstood me. I also doubted anything could come between her and Soarin though.

“That sounds lovely. I know Soarin will be excited to go. He hasn’t stopped talking about those apples you brought from there. Can you maybe show him where they come from so he can get his head back IN the clouds?” Spitfire asked.

“Sure. I’ve got enough time to show you two where to go before I go pick the lucky couple.” I told her, seeing her head shake at my last few words.

“I know about your ability, but how you do all this still amazes me. Just give me and Soarin 10 minutes and we’ll be here.” Spitfire told me, heading to the locker rooms to change.

I nodded to her, going to grab my own supplies. I didn’t need much other than my tickets, but I wanted a bit of time to look into the future to see if Rarity was available to help Spitfire and Applejack was available to talk ‘business’ with Soarin.

As I looked, I got a pleasant surprise. It turns out today was Fluttershy and Rarity’s weekly visit to the Ponyville Spa. If I had my timing right, I could drop Spitfire off as a new member of their ensemble. Applejack was also just about to finish for the day. I couldn’t have timed everything better.

I went back outside just as Soarin and Spitfire flew down to join me.

“It’s not a long flight, but we’re a bit short on time. Let’s go.” I told them, taking to the air as I finished.

We were within Ponyville in minutes. I took Spitfire straight to the Spa, having never been there myself, but being familiar with its location. I was right. I had just seen a purple tail swish through the door as we arrived. I stepped in through the door, thoroughly surprising Rarity and Fluttershy.

“Hello Rarity, Fluttershy.” I nodded to each of them as I said it. “I know that this is your weekly routine, but I wondered if you’d object to adding a third member to your party for the day?” I asked.

“Surely you don’t mean yourself darling?” Rarity asked, almost scared of the answer.

“No, not me. I have other business to attend to. I’d like you to meet Spitfire, the leader of the Wonderbolts.” I introduced her as she walked through the door, pawing the ground. She was nervous because she was out of her element.

“We wouldn’t mind having her here. Right Rarity?” Fluttershy asked, almost giving Rarity ‘The Stare.’

“Why not at all. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Spitfire. I am Rarity. We can exchange further pleasantries as we partake of our usual please?” She said, turning her last three words into a question directed at the Spa ponies.

The ponies immediately nodded and set about bringing Spitfire forward to the back with Rarity and Fluttershy. Spitfire still looked nervous, but far less than before.

I stepped back out to meet back up with Soarin. He was tired looking, as was usual, but still seemed to have energy.

“Hey again Breeze. So now that we dropped Spitfire off here, what’s next?” He asked me directly.

“I have other work to do as well. But first I thought you might enjoy going to the place where I got those great apples from.” I inquired, seeing him perk up at the prospect of food.

“Awesome! Let’s go.” Soarin exclaimed.

The trip to Sweet Apple Acres was short. Applejack was right where I knew she would be. She looked up as she heard us, only a little surprised.

“Well howdy Breeze Rider. And the same to yer companion. What can I do fer ya?’ Applejack asked me.

“Hey Applejack. This is Soarin.” I introduced him, seeing he was already lost in trance staring at all the apples around. “He really enjoyed those baskets of apples I brought to the Best Young Fliers Competition. He was hoping to get some more now and strike a deal to supply him and the other Wonderbolts after all our shows and practices. Can you maybe work something out?” I asked, seeing Applejack light up greatly at the mention of being able to give Sweet Apple Acres such great publicity.

“Well I’d be happy ta. Soarin was it?” Soarin nodded. “Well, if y’all don’t mind following me, I can give you a good example of all we can do with these here apples. Then we can strike a deal if yer still interested.”

Soarin walked off, following Applejack, very happy that there were other apple based dishes he could see and try.

I chuckled to myself, happy that my two teammates would be set for the next few hours. Now time to find this year’s lucky couple.

I set off to find the best vantage point in Ponyville. Unsurprisingly, it turned out to be Twilight’s Library. I approached the door and knocked. Twilight answered promptly.

“Hello there Breeze Rider. What can I do for you today?” Twilight asked me.

“Hello to you too Twilight. I was searching around Ponyville for a good vantage point. The top of you Library is perfect, but I didn’t want to be rude and just fly up to use it. May I please use the top of your house to view Ponyville in all its glory?” I inquired, deciding honesty was the best policy.

“Absolutely Breeze Rider. May I ask what you need a vantage point for though?” Twilight responded.

“I could tell you, but I know you enjoy research. You’ll find out the reason for all this at the Grand Galloping Gala tomorrow. That is if you still intend to hang around Princess Celestia for some of the night.” I said, winking at her.

Twilight knew of my gift. I had done a few things too cautiously and knowingly around her and she had gotten curious. She assumed I must have had Pinkie Sense too. I explained that was not the case. She was quite thrilled to learn about such a unique bit of magic, having been researching time magic a bit herself.

“Excellent. I always enjoy a challenge. I will alert you when I have come to a conclusion.” Twilight responded, being giddy about being able to do research at the Gala as well as have fun.

“Excellent. I look forward to it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must get to looking.” I told Twilight.

She nodded and re-entered her Library. I took to the air for a few seconds to get to the most secured part of the roof. I then began my search, using one eye to view a pony, and the other to look at their romantic prospects.

Within about 30 minutes, I had chosen my couple. There were many couples around Ponyville, but they were already well on their own path to happiness. Who was I to interfere in what didn’t need fixing?

I took off from the roof of the Library, heading to Sugarcube Corner, where I had just seen my prospective couple enter. I arrived within moments.

I entered the sweet shop, happy to see that Lyra and Bon Bon were indeed there. I decided to speak up and come right out.

“Excuse me, Lyra? Bon Bon?” I asked, seeing them turn to look at me. “I apologize for possibly interrupting anything, but I had something to give you. I am Breeze Rider by the way.” I replied

“You’re that Wonderbolt with the house across from here right?” Bon Bon asked me. I nodded.

“Cool! You’re my neighbor then!” Lyra exclaimed. I nodded at her to, deciding to return to my intended purpose.

“Indeed. Now, as I was saying, I have a gift for you if you want. I again received 2 invitations to the Grand Galloping Gala tomorrow. One is for my position in the Wonderbolts, the other for my position in the Royal Court. I don’t wish these tickets to go to waste and have no use for them myself. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind taking them?” I asked, seeing their jaws drop as I produced the tickets.

“But aren’t they addressed to you?” Bon Bon asked me.

“Fortunately no. I have been away from Canterlot for so long they do not know if I still choose to be addressed by my title. The tickets are simply addressed to ‘A Pony’ and a ‘Plus One.’ You are more than able to use them.”

Lyra and Bon Bon looked at each other, then back to me.

“If that’s the case, and you really don’t want them, we’d be happy to take them off your hooves. Thank you so much. It’s always been a dream of ours to go to the Gala together, but we could never afford tickets.” Lyra explained, blushing as she revealed all this to somepony she had just met.

“I’m happy to be able to help. Enjoy the Gala. I hope to see you there.” I told them, turning to leave. I waved goodbye to them, and they did the same.

As I left Sugarcube Corner, I immediately heard loud shrieks. I knew these were from excitement though.

“Another two up on the ‘Breeze of Love’” I thought to myself, smiling.

PreviousChapters Next