• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 3,160 Views, 48 Comments

The Long Life of Breeze Rider - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of a human turned pegasus, turned teacher, turned Wonderbolt. Follow Breeze Rider's Life.

  • ...
12
 48
 3,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Adapting to many new things

It had finally happened. My vision was no longer a vision. It was a fact. An inescapable fact of my life that would alter it in so many different ways.

I had woken up for a short time while I was being operated on. At least, that’s when I think I had woken up. My vision had been quite blurry and my hearing garbled. I had blacked out again so soon that I wasn’t sure though. All I knew was that I wasn’t able to feel my wings.

I remembered most of what had happened. I’d been testing out the Thunder Twister’s capabilities with my Breeze Stream. I remember feeling like I’d hit something solid, and then a very strong feeling of wind. I remembered a lot of spinning and a lot of pain. Then I remember being spit out of it, and crashing before I could do more than extend my wings to try and slow or stop myself. I blacked out at impact.

I remember waking up on something much softer than the ground. It took me a couple minutes to come to my senses before I realized somepony was talking to me. I turned to look at him fully for the first time.

“Mr. Breeze Rider? Can you hear me?” He asked, looking directly at my eyes to look for any misleading signs.

“I can hear you. Who are you? Where am I? Why can’t I feel my wings?” I asked him.

“My name is Doctor Jonas Saltlick. You are in the Ponyville Hospital. You had a terrible accident during your training with the Wonderbolts. And the reason you cannot feel your wings is…” The doctor paused. “Well, because you no longer have them.” He finished, looking at me for my reaction.

I was shocked. I had known that my vision would mean big things were happening, but not this big. My wings had been a huge part of my life. They had allowed me to attend and teach at Flight School. They’d allowed me to join and train with the Wonderbolts. I knew that I’d be able to live without them, but it would still be a huge difference to my life.

“I…see. Thank you for telling me this outright Dr. Saltlick.” I told him, looking him full in the eyes.

He was quite shocked.

“I must say you’re taking this quite well. I expected a few outbursts.” Dr. Saltlick told me.

“I won’t lie and say it’s not shocking or it won’t be hard to get used to. But I’m not gonna fight what I can’t change. I just have to live my life day by day. And right now is a day I’ve thought about for a while.” I told him, surprisingly not shocking him.

“Yes I can imagine that. I was informed of your ability by your friends out in the waiting room for your information.” He replied to my quizzical look. “Would you like to see any of them now?”

“I would like that. But I’d like them to come by in certain groups. For example, can you send my Parents, Derpy Hooves and Princess Celestia first? And then the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash? I’ll have worked out who I want to see next after I see them.” I asked him.

“Of course. Let me go inform them of your current condition and your visiting limitations to paraphrase.” Dr. Saltlick said, exiting the room as he finished.

I waited, wondering how each of the ponies waiting for me would react.

My parents had been greatly worried, but were far more overjoyed that I was still with them. After visiting with them for a little while, they left to return to Canterlot as they needed sleep. I didn’t mind. So long as they knew I was, for the most part, okay now.

Derpy had cried for a long time. I just held her and brushed her mane until she cried herself out. She left soon afterwards, promising to visit me with a muffin everyday while I was in the hospital, and then every day at what would now be my permanent home in Ponyville.

Princess Celestia’s visit had been different, but still some of the same. I asked her if my ability might have been affected by the crash. She was unsure, having never suffered such an injury while she possessed the power. I told her it didn’t really matter anyway. I was done with future gazing for a while. Celestia too had to leave soon to deal with Royal Duties. I told her to say Hi to Luna for me.

The visit with the Wonderbolts was harder. Simply getting Spitfire to calm down and explain to her that it wasn’t her fault was another thing altogether. Eventually, once I had gotten all of them, including Rainbow Dash, to sit and listen, I began saying some of the hardest words I ever had.

“Well, as you can all probably guess, I’m going into retirement from my days as a Wonderbolt. I know that you’ve all adapted your shows to include me amongst your numbers and it would be too much to ask you to readapt. That’s why, if she’ll consent, I’d like Rainbow Dash to replace me as a Wonderbolt.” I told them.

The debate had not lasted long. All of them had witnessed Rainbow Dash’s skills firsthand, and had no doubts she’d be the perfect replacement.

“Well Rainbow Dash? Do you accept our offer of having you join us to take the place of our retired member Breeze Rider?” Spitfire asked her.

Rainbow remained speechless for a little while. She then immediately leapt up and did a couple loops while going “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh.” She then returned to the ground, worrying she’d made a fool of herself.

“Um I mean I’d love to Spitfire. If you think I’m worthy.” Rainbow added.

They soon began discussing practice dates and uniform sizes. Once a few of the details were worked out, they all left to go about their business, promising to visit often. I was happy about what I had done.

Dr. Saltlick re-entered and asked me who I wanted to see next.

“Please send in Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Twilight Sparkle. I’d like to see Fluttershy separately after all of them are gone if you could inform her of that.” I told him.

He nodded and left to relay my messages.

The 4 ponies I had asked for first were here quickly; almost surprised I’d wanted to see them. I quickly assured them I was okay, just a little stiff, before going into detail about why I’d called them there.

“Well girls, as you can probably tell, I can no longer be a Wonderbolt. I called you here to offer myself up to each of you. I’d like a job.” I told them, seeing their jaws drop. “I’ve helped around your various employments before, so you know I’m capable. I don’t need much pay, just a few bits for food and necessities really. Do you think you could help me out once I’m recovered?” I asked, hoping at least one of them would have a place for me.

All of them were more than willing to offer me employment. I told them I could do a Job Rotation of sorts, working at each of their various places for 2 weeks at a time, before moving onto the next establishment for 2 weeks. They all seemed to think that was fair. After a few more bits of chit-chat, they all left to return to their daily lives, telling me they’d visit once a week or so.

This was bound to be the hardest talk of the day, even harder than my talk with the Wonderbolts. I waited, knowing Fluttershy would be in shortly. She came in about 5 minutes after Rarity had left.

“Hello Breeze Rider. I came alone after the others left like you asked me to. I was so upset to hear you were hurt. Is there anything I can do?” Fluttershy asked me, her eyes pleading.

“Hey Fluttershy. First, let me thank you for coming like I asked. It means a lot to me. Secondly, there is something you can do for me. Can you please listen to what I have to say now? I probably won’t be able to say it all again afterwards, and I’d like to keep focused while I say it.” I asked her.

Fluttershy nodded at me, indicating she’d stay quiet while I talked. She then pulled up a chair and waited for me to begin.

“Alright Fluttershy. I’ve never been all that great with words. You know that. I was always more of a physical demonstration teacher. So it may be hard for me to properly say what I need and want to.” I looked over at her again, to make sure she was listening. Content that she was, I continued. “Here goes. I care about you Fluttershy. More than I thought I did. I’ve always cared for you, ever since you were a tiny little filly in my class. Somewhere along the line though, those feelings became something more. I think I began to realize it when I saw you the first time I came back to Ponyville to visit. It just never solidified in my head until just after Cadance and Shining Armor’s wedding. I love you Fluttershy. I know you may not feel the same way for me, but I just needed you to know.” I finished, closing my eyes as I wasn’t certain I wanted to see Fluttershy’s reaction.

A few minutes of silence followed what I said. I had expected that though. I had said all I needed too. I’d have no regrets living the rest of my grounded life now. I heard a shuffling of hooves, and opened my eyes to see Fluttershy attempting to tell me something.

“I-I….do feel the same way t-though….B-Breeze Rider. I think I started to realize it when you came back too. I only came to somewhat terms with it while I was waiting out in the waiting room though. And now hearing you say it, I think I can too. I love you too Breeze Rider.” Fluttershy told me, looking at me with those eyes I knew I’d never stop looking at.

Fluttershy then trotted over and gave me a kiss. In this kiss, all our feelings were solidified. We would never willingly part from each other again, for any reason. We would never want for anything else as long as we had each other. We would be happy, as long as we were together.

It was the single greatest moment of my life. Better than watching her and the other girls graduate. Better than joining the Wonderbolts. Better than even a few moments ago, when I had finally confessed my love.

In the moments while we kissed, I felt as I never had before. I knew that, from that day on, even if I were stuck on the ground, I’d always feel like I was walking on clouds and flying through the skies.

PreviousChapters Next