• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 3,156 Views, 48 Comments

The Long Life of Breeze Rider - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of a human turned pegasus, turned teacher, turned Wonderbolt. Follow Breeze Rider's Life.

  • ...
12
 48
 3,156

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: The Lightning from Nowhere

“Another year gone.” Celestia thought to herself.

Her sister’s return grew closer and closer. Celestia herself was quite powerful, but even with her strength and the power of The Elements of Harmony, she had only been able to seal her sister away for 1000 years.

She had kept track of the long years since that dreadful day since then by help of the Summer Sun Celebration. Celestia always thought it strange that her subjects had chosen to celebrate the day they had lost a Princess. Celestia had not told them that Nightmare Moon was indeed Luna however. She herself had spread the rumour that Nightmare Moon had kidnapped and imprisoned Luna in a faraway land in order to make certain that the subjects would only fear Nightmare Moon and not Luna. Celestia maintained that Luna and Nightmare Moon were indeed separate entities.

Celestia also knew that one day Luna would return to her true self. She had seen this herself. She knew she would one day instruct a unicorn who would lead a team of her friends to challenge and vanquish Nightmare Moon. As the Princess of the Sun, Celestia had several unique powers granted only to her. One of these powers was a gift of premonition. Celestia had never loved this power, but neither had she loathed it.

It had allowed her to make many good decisions on behalf of her subjects. And it had shown her the path to halting her sister’s power until such a time that she could be fully stopped. She also knew that she had the power to bequeath this power to anypony she wished. She dared not just give it away to just anypony though.

The gift of premonition was as much a gift as a curse. In the wrong hooves, it could spell disaster. She still feared what would have happened to her and Luna if Discord had possessed such a power. She had a strange feeling that somepony who could properly use this power better than her was approaching but, for the first time in a very long time, she was unsure.

She had flashes of this feeling, but she could not fully “see” it. All she got were a broken few words and a feeling. This troubled her greatly. Celestia feared that perhaps she was losing her power. Taking over the role of the Lunar Princess had certainly taken a toll on her, but she had not though it so great a strain that she would lose some of her powers. She was still able to view all events unrelated to this feeling however. Perhaps, she was simply not allowed to see some events.

Perhaps some events were so inevitable that they cannot be changed. Thus, her own power worked against her in this manner to prevent her from attempting to change what she might have seen. As she came to this realization, she had a vision against her will. It had been many years since she had been unable to fully control her ability, and she worried this meant something dreadful was approaching.

What she saw was a bolt of lightning, that seemingly came from nowhere but the sky itself, touch down in the middle of her courtyard. As the extreme flair of light and sound from the lightning faded, she heard in her vision a sound not unlike the crying of a foal. As she shook her head to clear this startling vision from her mind, one of her Guards came barging into her study.

“Forgive me for the intrusion, your Highness. But a strange bolt of lightning seemingly just struck the center of our courtyard. The rest of the guards have gathered there, but what they tell me makes no sense. They say they see…..a foal where the lightning struck.” The Guard quickly said.

As Celestia took all this in, she felt her eyes widen. Had her vision come to pass so fast? She then began to ponder for a moment.

“I felt no particular sense of dread come from that vision. Not like the visions where I saw how to defeat Discord or the vision of my sister becoming Nightmare Moon. In fact,” she recalled. “She felt a large amount of happiness emanating from that vision. Did this mean this foal heralded a new age for Equestria? I must see this for myself.” She decided.

“Take me there immediately.” She said.

“Of course. This way your Highness.”

The trek to the courtyard was quick, as both ponies were in quite a hurry. Celestia arrived to the courtyard to quickly see that all her other Guards had formed a ring around the center of the blast. They all bowed to her as she entered. They parted to allow her a path to the blast sight, tightening their circle as she walked closer, ready to act at a moment’s notice should anything attempt to harm her.

As Celestia at last reached the site of the lightning strike, she still felt shock at what was before her eyes. A foal was indeed there, wrapped tightly in a blanket. The foal was crying whilst Celestia approached, but as she finally reached him, he stopped. The eyes of the foal looked up at Celestia, and the foal began to smile, as though he had known her all his short life. She felt startled to feel such a strong sense of recognition come from this foal who she had just witnessed fall seemingly from the sky. As she studied the foal, she noticed a note pinned to the side of his blanket. She reached down to pick up the note and read it. It was short and only slightly informative of the situation.

Hello there.

My name is Breeze Rider. I am a Pegasus pony.

I have no family that I am aware of here. Please help me find a family.

Celestia stared down at the foal she now knew was named Breeze Rider. The note seemed to be written, somehow, by the foal himself and not by a family member merely depositing him somewhere. As she again looked at the foals face, she realized he was still smiling up at her. Celestia felt herself begin to smile as well. She looked down and began to speak to the foal.

“Hello Breeze Rider. My name is Princess Celestia. I know that you may well not understand me now, but something tells me you do.” Celestia paused.

The foal only continued to smile larger at her words. She continued.

“I am not fit to raise you myself, but I will help you find somepony who is. Know this though Breeze Rider; you will always have a place in my court, and in my family.”

The foal began to drift into sleep as Celestia spoke her last words to him, a smile still on his face. Celestia at last felt content with this situation. This foal was destined to bring a new age to Equestria. One that would surely be written in history.

PreviousChapters Next