• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 3,156 Views, 48 Comments

The Long Life of Breeze Rider - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of a human turned pegasus, turned teacher, turned Wonderbolt. Follow Breeze Rider's Life.

  • ...
12
 48
 3,156

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: Preparation and Departure

“Are you sure about this man?” he asked me. “You know it probably won’t work anyway right?”

“I’m quite aware of that possibility.” I replied. “I’ve lived these past 17 years for a reason though. And I choose to believe that that reason is to use this machine to go to Equestria.”

“Man, I envy you.” He shook his head at the last words of my sentence. “You never had to grow up.”

I looked quizzically at him before I responded.

“I’m no child. I did grow up. I simply had nothing else to hold onto other than My Little Pony.”

“Come on man. You can’t expect me to honestly believe that.” he stated.

“You have your parents, your job, and your girlfriend man.” I told him bluntly. “I have only one of those three things. And unlike yours, my job isn’t a dream come true.” He looked down at his hands for a while before he responded.

“I’m sorry man. I’d forgotten. I never meant to dredge up any of that.” He apologized.

“No need to apologize. I’m not going to lie and say I’ve moved on from my parents death, my one love having shot me down to marry one of my friends, or my failed business.” I said. As I said each of those facts, the memory of each went through my mind.

A gas leak they had officially called the explosion that killed my parents. I know for a fact that’s not the case. I know that my parents had enemies, some who were now in an Asylum somewhere offshore. Hell, the bastard behind it all confessed in court, while laughing. He’ll spend the rest of his miserable life in that nuthouse. It won’t bring my parents back, but it gave me some closure. Enough closure to let me keep going for a few more years at least.

The girl I loved had turned me down in Grade 11. 4 years later, I was invited to one of my best friend’s weddings. And who should he be marrying but her? I was grateful to only be an usher at that event. Being one meant I got to stay out of all the events and not have to hear or see most of anything. To this day I won’t openly admit it, but I came to that wedding with a gun in my pocket. As the day had gone on, I'd considered using it for various reasons; to end my own life, to end the life of my friend and his… bride, or to simply ruin the happiest day of their lives. I still don’t know what prevented me from doing any of that. It could’ve been anything. Maybe an urge to not see her cry. Maybe because he was once my friend. Regardless of why I didn’t do it, that had still been one of the toughest days of my life.

8 years after graduating, I had my dream job; running my own anime and special interest store. I was, for the first time in a very long time, happy. Until one day when I saw an old classmate walk by my store. I hadn’t exactly kept tabs on all my old classmates and tormentors, but I was aware this one in particular was bitter about a lot of things and flat out broke. I never expected him to come by and torch my store though. The stupid bastard had made a Molotov and thrown it too close to himself and his alcohol drenched clothes. He died in the fire that took my last hope for happiness on Earth. My insurance wouldn’t cover any of the damages from the fire, and I had put every cent I possessed at that time into my store.

As each memory resurfaced, a few tears came with them. I’d had nothing to look forward to after each of those days, and today was the first day I earnestly had something to look forward to.

“This is my last chance at fixing my life. If it doesn’t work, I will still never be seen or heard from again. You’re the only one I’m telling this to. Please man, just keep your word and tell people I’m dead no matter what if they ask you. In either case, it’ll be true for the most part.”

It took him a very long while to fully comprehend what I'd asked of him. I simply sat and waited. Regardless of what he said, I’d go through with this decision. He may have been the last important feature of this life, but not important enough for me to give up this last hope. Finally, he told me of his decision.

“Okay man. I promise to do that.” For the first time in years, I felt a genuine smile spread across my lips.

“Thank you. You really were the best friend I could have ever asked for. You’re the only regret I have leaving this life. I hope you understand the significance of that after our conversation.”

“I do. Believe me I do.” He said.

“Well then, let me say goodbye. My appointment with the machine is in an about an hour. This was the last thing I had to do. Goodbye bro. And thank you for everything you did for me. I wish you a happy life.”

As I stood up and walked away, leaving far more money than I needed to cover the bill, I almost thought I heard my friend start to say something or reach out to me. As I looked over my shoulder to check, I saw nothing of the sort. My last tears of this life left me. Even my best friend would be able to move on from my death easily. That was the last push I needed.

PreviousChapters Next