• Published 1st Oct 2015
  • 582 Views, 11 Comments

Such Horrible Things - dramatic_spoon



Nightmare Night with Stratos and Temporal Spectrum

  • ...
0
 11
 582

The Same Routine

“Bye kids,” Rumble waved after them, “Come back again next year!”

“That was really scary, wasn’t it Stratty?”

“Not really.” the Colt responded, putting up a brave facade.

“You screamed just like everypony else,” Temporal responded.

“....I screamed less,” he sulked, as Cumulus moved over towards Temporal.

“How come you never get scared in the Haunted House, Tempy?”

“Because it’s boring. Snips always does the jump scare thing.”

“Yeah, but the red skeleton mare in the sombrero was cool,” Cumulus glanced back over at Fireburst, “What does ants taste like?”

“Kind of nutty and like cheese,” Fireburst responded, “I liked it.”

“Does this mean you’re gonna start eating ants?”

“I’m not an ant-eater.” He mumbled.

“They weren’t real ants,” Temporal responded, “Miss Zipporwhill said so.”

“...Where did you see her?”

“She was the one in red.”

The group skidded to a stop as a pair of Royal Night Guards stepped in front of them. Cream Pie peeked over.

“Who’s that?” He nudged Stratos.

“I think they’re real guards.” he whispered back.

“Stratos Apple?” one of the guards asked. Cumulus ducked behind her brother as he nodded in confirmation.
“I am Captain Morningstar, of the Royal Guard.”

“If your name’s Morningstar, why are you part of Princess Luna’s guards? Cumulus asked.

“They had an opening,” Captain Morningstar responded, not missing a beat, “We are here to-”

Captain Morningstar was cut off as someone leapt over them and landed next to Ribbon. A tall, not-quite-filly, looked down at them: while his body structure resembled a pony’s, he was longer, taller and thinner. Instead of hooves, his forelegs ended in paws. His tail was long, serpentine and covered in scales, ending in a tuff of sapphire fur. His body was covered in dark blue fur, his mane a mess of blues with a single streak of grey. Instead of a single horn, he had a pair of twisted, gnarled horns like a goat’s. He smiled, revealing several sharp fangs. Cumulus popped out from behind her brother and hugged the newcomer.

“Hi Loony!’

“...Your highness, you were supposed to stay behind us” Captain Morningstar sighed.

“I got bored.” the prince shrugged.

“...He’s going to hang out with us, isn’t he?” Temporal asked.

“...Yes. Prince Lunatique will be spending the night with you,” Captain Morningstar nodded, “Princess Luna sent us as his bodyguards, but…He’ll make a valiant effort to lose us anyway, so we might as well skip that part and let you on your way.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“Is the bakery still open?” one of the other guards asked, “I like their Pumpkin rolls.”

“They’re doing pumpkin carving, but they might still have some,” Cream Pie answered.

“Alright then, we’ll leave you on your own,” Captain Morningstar nodded, “But no incidents like last time.”

“I promised mom,” the prince sulked as Cumulus giggled.

The guards turned and trotted off. As soon as they were out of sight, Lunatique put an arm around Ribbon.

“So where to next, the Haunted House?” He grinned.

“We were just there.”

“...Pumpkin Carving?”

“Did it already.”

“...What’s left?”

“The corn maze.” Temporal responded, “There’s Mr. Oareb.”

The group trotted over the zebra, who sat near a hay cart, cigarette in mouth. The Zebra was dressed in a flowing black cape, small domino mask and wide brimmed fedora. He quickly snubbed out the cigarette as he noticed the group.

“Hello children.” he flashed them a quick smile.

“Aunty Apple Bloom said you’re not supposed to smoke,” Cumulus responded.

He coughed, “Well...She said I couldn’t smoke around her, but,” He waved a hoof, “She is not here, so I may smoke. But enough about that, are you ready for the corn maze?”

“How come you and Mrs. Applebloom didn’t want to be part of the Haunted house?”

“I do not understand Through the Looking Glass,” Oareb responded as he hooked up his haycart to the saddle.
“Nor do I see the point in an entire group of ponies in coordinated costumes. The point is for ponies to do as they please with outfits, yes?”

“Well, sometimes it’s fun to coordinate with other ponies,” Golden Breeze responded.

“I suppose. But, due to where we are working, I believed it was more practical for myself and Apple Bloom to wear something that is not ridiculous or will matter much if we get muddy,” He paused, tightening his harness.
“Now are you all ready?”

The group cheered as they piled into the back of the hay cart. Oareb began walking as the group glanced around the festivities.

“Look, there’s Aunty Flitter.” Cumulus pointed into the crowd: Flitter wore a yellow ballroom gown, while Thunderlane stood dressed in a blue suit, along with a large amount of fake brown fur and hair.

“There’s your mom,” Ribbon pointed into the crowd as Pinkie Pie trotted past, dressed in a ridiculous clown outfit. Cream Pie ducked away.

“I hate clowns.” he muttered.

The group grew silent as they left the town and headed into the rural areas and the farms. the group came to a stop at one of the barnhouse, outfitted with fake paper bats, and lights. A heavily pregnant Applebloom sighed as she placed her cart down and a group of foals ran out to the start of the maze.

“Beloved, I told you you should be taking it easy, not hauling extra foals around,” Oareb chided her as he parked his cart next to her.

“I’m fine,” She snapped, “I ain’t a baby.”

“Hi Aunty!” Cumulus waved as they left the cart.

“Hey kids,” Apple Bloom smiled back, “Better hurry up. Don’t wanna miss story time with Princess Twilight after this.”

“Eeyup!” Cumulus ran ahead, leaving the others to catch up. at the start of the Maze, an earth mare stood, dressed up as a scarecrow. The Yellow coated mare grinned as she saw the group.

“Hi Miss. Sugar Dots!”

“Well, Howdy!” she grinned at the kids, “Ready for the corn maze?”

“Yep!” Cumulus nodded.

“Well, let’s see…” Sugar Dots trailed off as she counted the group, “Eight? Good! We’re only letting pairs into the maze. Makes it more challenging that way.”

“I’ll go with Fireburst!” Cumulus responded. Stratos and Temporal Stepped towards each other, partnering off.

Lunatique and Golden Breeze glared at each other, as both began to step towards Ribbon. Cream Pie quickly bumped into Lunatique, pulling the prince closer to him.

“We can be a team, right Loony?” he grinned and winked at Ribbon.

“...I guess so,” the hybrid sulked.

“Well, since that’s settled…” Sugar Dots trailed off as a burst of magical energy exploded in the air near the end of the maze, “Oh good, they’re done. Well off you go. the Maze has been enchanted to prevent the use of magic. Also no flying.” She paused, “Or floating or whatever it is that you do, Prince Lunatique.”

The groups headed off, and entered the corn maze at different entrances. Stratos glanced around, looking at the near impenetrable walls.

“So what’s the plan?” he asked.

“Let me get on your back and lift off.” the mare responded, “I’ll guide you.”

“They said no flying.”

“You’re not flying, you’re...flittering.” Temporal made a floating motion with her hooves, “Like my mom does when she’s too lazy to walk.”

---

“Can’t you just burn a path down?” Cumulus asked.

“No. My fire’s not strong enough for that yet,” Fireburst responded, “Besides, I don’t think we’re allowed to do that.”

“....That’s boring. What if we just run through the walls?”

“What?”

He turned around to have Cumulus whizz past, kicking up dirt, dust and his hat and cape. The filly crashed headfirst into the wall of corn, only to barely penetrate the plants.

“...You’re stuck, aren’t you?” Fireburst sighed.

“Gemme out of this,”

---

“...We’re lost, aren’t we?” Ribbon asked as Golden Breeze threw his helmet at another dead end.

“Yes.”

“...So can I lead us now, or are you gonna keep insisting that you do it?” Ribbon snarked.

“...Yes.” he admitted as he picked up his helmet and put it back on his head. Corn leaves and other parts of the stalks remained stuck to the horns.

---

“This is the same dead end as before!” Lunatique snarled.

“No, it’s not.” Cream Pie countered.

“Yes, it is!” he pointed a claw at a fallen corn stalk and dent in the ground, “That’s your faceprint from before!”

Cream Pie peered at it, “...That’s where the vampire teeth went.”

He reached into the pit, brushed the dirt off and popped it back into his mouth.

“Now we can go.”

“This time I’m leading us.”

---

“We’re done!” Cumulus beamed as she trotted out of the maze, “Hi Mrs. Alula!”

“Hi kids,” the mare waved back.

“Did we get out first?” She asked.

“Eenope.” Stratos grinned at his little sister.

“...That’s no fair.” she pouted.

“Well, the others are still stuck inside.” Temporal pointed out, “So that makes you two the second fastest.”

“...I guess,” the filly continued to pout as Fireburst trotted past her.

“Do we get an award because of how fast we finished?” Stratos asked.

“Later, we’re still tallying up how quickly everyone did,” Alula glanced down at her watch, “But I think the two of you did the best so far.”

Stratos’ response was cut off as a bickering Lunatique and Cream Pie made it out of the maze, followed shortly by Ribbon Lighting and Golden Breeze.

“Is that everyone?” Alula asked, “Good,” The mare lifted up a jury-rigged flare gun and fired a shot.
“Well, kids, all that’s left is Story time with Princess Twilight,” She glanced back down at her watch, “Better hurry up.”

“I hope it’s really sc…” Cumulus trailed off and yawned.

“Sleepy, Cumulus?” Temporal smiled slightly.

“N’uah.” the younger filly responded through another yawn. She teetered slightly as Stratos grabbed her.

“...Maybe we should call it a night,” Stratos replied as Cumulus began to snore.

“Not for me,” Lunatique responded, “You can go home, I’m staying up.”

“I’m with Loony.” Cream Pie nodded.

“Us too.” Ribbon and Breeze nodded.

“Well, I’m gonna take her home, so if you guys see my parents let them know.” Stratos looked over at Temporal and Fireburst, “You guys don’t have to come.”

“I’ll come anyway,” Temporal shrugged.

“Me too.”

“Well...See you guys later.” Stratos eased Cumulus onto his back and start off, with Temporal and Fireburst. The others shrugged and trotted off heading back to the town.

“You’re a good brother, you know that?” Temporal informed Stratos.

“I try.”

Comments ( 5 )

These stories about Rainbow and Time Turner and Temporal are fun, I hope you have more planned

This was a nice story. I enjoyed looking into the future. I do want to know about how Spike and Twilight got together? I've been on a spilight theme rescently.

6582408

Spike married Trixie.
Twilight married a Griffon.

6583155 thanks for the correction. Also in regards to spike and trixie. WHAT!!!!!!!!

Login or register to comment