• Published 3rd Oct 2015
  • 563 Views, 6 Comments

Times Of Rain - Maerx



Jackson wants his first Hearth's Warming Eve with Colgate to be special, as life in Equestria has calmed down.

  • ...
1
 6
 563

IV: Things Uncommon

Author's Note:

This has taken far too long for this chapter to be out, but here it is, and now my bed is looking a might fine. I apologize for the long delay.

Strange. The last few hours had been strange, to the say the least. I sauntered through the dark streets of Ponyville attempting to regain my head and focus after tonight's interesting events. Interesting really isn't the best word to describe it, however my racked and tired brain refused to come up with anything else. I hadn't been to sleep yet and it was almost 2:00 in the morning. I didn't think about the time however. I could only focus on the events that had unraveled this evening.

I had excused myself from the intense conversation between Twilight and Minuette, with the little filly now fast asleep at her side. Even now, I couldn't see Colgate as a mother figure. I hadn't known her for that long to make that call yet. At least, Twilight was open to discussion and eagerly listened to all we had to say about the filly; where she had come from, the condition she was found in, even down to seemingly meaningless details like her form of rest in her previous location. Looking back, I almost couldn't believe it. They say karma is a cruel mistress, one who does not choose favorites or targets, rather random chance based on your actions. I could easily write off this occurrence as a random event, yes.

But something deeper in meaning grew in the back of my head, formulating itself. Aside from everything else, I tucked my now cold hands into my coat pockets and continued my stroll through Ponyville. Occasionally I would get odd looks from folks who were just closing up their shops or heading home from work. I would simply reply any question with the fact that I had a fluctuating work schedule, even though this wasn't true and I often enjoyed night time walks. There was something peaceful about the night and her darkness that sunshine simply couldn't bring. Colgate understood this and chose to accept it.

I liked to be alone. And as much of a contradictory statement as that sounds, it isn't. There are times where I would be absolutely ready for a quiet night in with her, snuggled up on the coach or out with the other ponies, doing who knows what. But because of work's demand on me physically, I sometimes chose to be alone. It somehow brought solace to my otherwise busy life. I'm glad that it had settled down though. Life in Equestria had turned out to be less challenging than I had originally thought. I had expected the worse probable outcome, being exiled as a freak and forced to live off of scraps and waste. If that scenario were true, I was fully ready to accept death. However, thankfully, this wasn't the case. Everypony I knew was very welcoming of me and my ''quirkyness'' according to Pinkie. It was those six ponies that had welcomed me in, helped me to adjust, and then be there for me when or if I ever needed help. I can't repay them for that.

A small smirk crossed my chilled cheeks as I stopped on my journey, deciding on my next location. Downtown didn't seem to be the wisest idea, since shadier individuals seemed to roam around, looking for victims. As I pondered, a stray grey and black cat darted across the street silently, padding its way along. It stopped midway and turned towards me, its eyes shining full of Luna's light, before disappearing back into the shadows once again. I found this curious. I had seen the exact same cat on my night walks several times before and had never bothered to check the time. I didn't think much of it, there were a lot of stray cats wandering around Ponyville at all times of the day. Shrugging, I turned towards the bridge, leading out of the main hub of the town and out into the country side. The hills were bare, save a few street lamps to guide passerby's. Admittedly, Ponyville's technology outlook was puzzling, to be frank. Their blend of magic and electronics was fascinating to me, and something I had only seen in science fiction movies back home.

Rain puddles sloshed under my feet as I continued on my way, allowing my mind to wander. I stopped under a street lamp and readjusted my coat, its warm faux fur brushing gently against my neck. Its warmth was reassuring. Thank the pegasi it wasn't raining tonight. This coat isn't waterproof.

I glanced at my watch seeing the time flicker with a gentle green glow as I strode along.

2:18 AM.

I had to be in bed at a decent hour, since tomorrow I had to help Minuette deal with the whole filly conundrum. Not that it wasn't an issue for me and I was happy to help, that's for sure. But I couldn't shake the thought of my marefriend being a mother from my head.

As I pondered, the same gray and black cat dashed across the dirt path, this time farther out. It didn't pause to glance at me like it had done before, but for some reason it gave me chills. It isn't a coincidence to see something within the same hour randomly. Surely our paths wouldn't have crossed normally. Last time I saw it, I recalled seeing the cat dash towards downtown Ponyville, away from the bridge. It was curious, however I decided not to linger to receive an answer. I turned for home, striding quicker then normal.

The gentle glow of ponies homes stood triumphant against Luna's dark blanket as I made for my little house. The street was deserted, nearly silent. Not a thing was stirring. It was surreal, for lack of a better word. The only thing that met my ears was the gentle whistling of the wind rustling through winter's forgiving grasp. The wind howled, biting at my neck which made me trot faster towards the glowing light of my house. I wanted to make it home before the rain hit, well at least the downpour.

I had a feeling that this storm was going to stick around for a while from what the pegasi had told us last week. I didn't really fully understand how pegasi were able to simply manipulate the weather.

I finally made it home, sliding inside the front door with a soft click. Turning, I was greeted with the gentle warmth and glow of the den, slightly bathed in the dying embers from the fire. I slid my jacket off and padded towards the den, flopping into my favorite arm chair. I placed my hand over my face with a chuckle, realizing the old person cliches were already starting to set in. I wasn't even 25.

Regardless, I turned my towards the stairs and eyed the bedroom door at the top. I smiled, knowing that this situation was not given to me by random selection, but out of some benevolent force that I don't understand. Was it coincidence? Or perhaps something more?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I lazily opened my eyes to see the cloudy grey skies of an Equestrian winter still present, hanging overhead. I shifted under my sheets to discover that I was alone, while being slightly annoyed that Colgate wasn't there to greet me. Sighing, I rolled around to check the time and shuffled out of bed towards the mirror across the room. My hair was disheveled to say the least, long bangs covered my left eye as I reached for a brush to keep it kept. The house was quiet, only the chirping and singing of the birds broke the silence as I changed into something more suited for casual days off work. Shorts and a t-shirt. Can't get much better then that.

Opening the bedroom door I slipped down the stairs to be greeted by an unusual sight. Colgate was sitting on the couch with a little white furball curled between her forelegs, fast asleep. Her ears perked towards me as I strolled into the den, curious.

"Morning," the blue mare chirped quietly, a warm smile on her muzzle. I nodded back in acknowledgement and slid down on the couch beside her, responding with a nuzzle and a squirm from the little filly.

"How long have you been up?" I questioned. I was curious how she managed to get up, take care of the filly without making much or any noise. Then again, I had grown comfortable living with this mare so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

"Not too long," she replied, her gaze still focused on the filly in her grasp. "She actually woke me up."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. She was hungry so I took care of that, after that she basically just passed out," the mare said with a giggle. "She's so cute when she's sleeping."

I mused about that for a minute in quiet recollection before rising from the couch to close a pair of shades.

"Has she spoken yet?"

"No. I don't know whether she's mute or just really, really shy."

I thought it unusual for a pony in Equestria to be mute. During my time here I've never come across an individual who was unable to speak. However, with Twilight's visit that night, I knew that the filly would be tired given so much information and things happening at once would had to have overwhelmed the poor thing.

Twilight had advised us to take care of the filly for now until she can coerce with Princess Celestia and Luna in order to conduct an investigation. It was only expected since this little filly hadn't been reported missing. It was suspicious to say the least. Logic would have dictated the filly's parents, if she had any, to come looking for her immediately after she hadn't shown up.

The rain was still pattering outside as we sat in melancholy silence with the small pony nuzzled close against Colgate's breast, happily snoozing away. I turned towards the windows next to my chair and gazed out, the looming grey skies transfixing me with their dark beauty. Ponies were already starting to meander about as some collected their newspapers while others went about their daily chores, getting ready for the day. It almost seemed like Ponyville itself came alive when its residents awoke, its streets and buildings filled with the beating hearts and cheerful spirits.

I fancied a coffee at Sugarcube Corner, and just as I rose from my chair the filly stirred, opening her eyes slowly. Her wild red eyes still dazzle me every time I see them. She squirmed and fidgeted before wiggling out of Minuette's grasp and looking around. The blue mare gave a motherly look and nuzzled the filly, startling her slightly as she zipped back to Colgate's side for comfort.

"Why hello there little one," she said with an almost angelic voice, shifting some items on the table in front of her with her magic. "Did you sleep well?"

At least the poor thing could understand us. She nodded slowly before yawning and stretching again.

I mused about how the filly hadn't had an adverse reaction to me being... well me. Not a pony. An alien creature nestled in her homeland. Still, it humbles me to this day.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The morning was uneventful as usual and as I made my way for Sugarcube Corner, sweatshirt on my person and hands in pockets, I pondered the events of the last couple days, as casual ponies strolled by, some throwing me good natured gestures of good morning and hello. I hadn't a clue what to do next with this unexpected situation dropped on Colgate and I. How would we, if we decided to become the filly's foster parents, balance that and work along with our own time? Indeed, it was a scenario I hadn't given much if any thought to, as foals of our own were basically out of the question, unless the Princesses finally respond with an answer to our question. Twilight had further detailed us with taking care of the foal. She was to be watched as much as possible, along with the typical child care instructions. She didn't seem to be of school age quite yet, so that was out of the question.

We would simply serve as her foster guardians until her parents could be found. Or at least, located.

Building by building passed by me on my walk towards Sugarcube Corner, my gaze flickering from one to the other, observing families casually living out their lives. In some way, I pictured myself there, settling into a routine and getting comfortable for the long haul. What was ahead of me I couldn't say for certain, but that's what adventure is for, right?

Comments ( 1 )

I hope this story continues! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment