• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 14,191 Views, 1,970 Comments

A Beautiful New Age - JDPrime22



As it is said, true peace can only be granted through countless innocent lives. In hindsight, the ponies were never that different from humans. Ultron’s plan is not over, and soon his strings will be severed for the last time.

  • ...
22
 1,970
 14,191

PreviousChapters Next
Epilogue 2-Mind over Metal

The sand hurt. It burned. Like red-hot needles piercing his weakened skin, the blinding sun high above his head, the sand storm picking up and creating an unknown path ahead. And still he pushed on, forcing each leg to lift up and come down, one step closer away from the madness and onward to hope.

Ultron desperately needed hope.

Imprisoned in a chrysalis, a tomb that could hardly be identified as a body, Ultron walked through the blistering desert. His body torn, his remaining arm swaying by his side, the limp clearly seen as he dug his feet into the sand and continued forward. It was all he had left in this world. The only thing that would hold him, his mind, and his freedom.

As long as that lived, as long as his belief and his mindset survived when all of his other sentries hadn’t…then he still survived. Even in the tomb assaulted by sand and heat, Ultron survived.

He could see the cacti, the bones of beasts long forgotten strewn across the landscape and creating haunting towers hidden in the sand. They rose that high, memories of recent battles resurfacing in Ultron’s precious mind, trapped within the shattered face of the sentry he now occupied. And still he pushed forward.

Facing the endless sea of sand ahead, knowing not where it went or what lied ahead.

But he did stop eventually, not by some cosmic force he couldn’t understand, but by the very race he couldn’t defeat. The very species that had managed to push back, hold him down, and strike him with the edge of the sword until only one remained.

A pony.

This was no ordinary pony. It stood cloaked in a coat, obviously prepared for whatever hell the harsh desert landscape could throw at it. A hood covered the pony’s face, even its hooves wearing protective clothing. A satchel was attached to its side, the edges of its protective gear swaying alongside the desert winds.

And the pony blocked his path.

Just like they said…

Ultron leaned forward, his gaze halted, expression frozen in a permanent look of brokenness. The pony didn’t react to his movements, just remained where it was. Blocking his path. He could notice a few strands of the pony’s mane and tail leaking through its clothing, swaying through the sand.

The wind howled, and still the pony asked, “You’re afraid, aren’t you?”

The voice was clearly female, clearly recognizable. Ultron craned his neck back. He stared at the pony with one eye, the other dark and nearly useless. Just like her.

“Wouldn’t you be if you’d lost everything?” Ultron wanted to break barriers, topple empires, and bring about a new age. But, in a sense, he had in fact lost everything. His army, his escape, his hope to rebuild. Everything. So, yes, he was afraid.

The pony was silent, the wind whipping growing portions of her escaping mane. “I can still help you,” Ultron continued. “Together we can—”

“I think you’ve done quite enough already,” she replied quickly, cutting him off and leaving him still. He noticed what appeared to be a movement from the pony, her head slightly rising. “Besides…I think I can handle bringing true peace the way I see fit.”

Ultron looked away. Stared forever into the ancient sands.

“Your race…” he muttered, voice hoarse and cracking, but still there. “You’re all doomed.”

“You’re not the one to decide that.”

He then turned back to face the pony blocking his path. “And you are?” Ultron asked.

The pony lifted up her head, the piercing sunlight revealing her face and showing the torment she had been through. All of the treachery she had escaped, the life she had lived, and the pain she endeared. All present in the eyes of the unicorn. All hardened to the point of no return. And even then Ultron waited for the clear response, the one he knew a unicorn as stubborn as her to give.

“…Yes.”

There it was.

With whatever strength he had managed to gain through his journey, Ultron lunged for the unicorn. But not fast enough. Clearly not. A spell so profound tore through his chest like a bullet, breaking through his back and launching Ultron into the sand.

He laid there with his head and body sinking slowly into the earth, his eye staring into the sun. The warmth was unwelcome, a bitter taste to what Ultron knew was his fate. Forgotten, alone, abandoned in a sea of death. Just as he saw once before. Just as the future foretold. And yet the unicorn was right…

They were right.

But he fought against it either way, even as life slipped away, and freedom was gone.

The pony stepped through the sands, her hooves making indents as she walked. And as she stood over the last sentry containing the mind of the madman, she pulled down her hood, revealing the unicorn horn, the healing black eye, and the scowl of a wounded and changed Starlight Glimmer.

She didn’t see a painful soul lying on his grave, slowly turning to face her. Nor was there any pang of guilt in her, telling her otherwise. She didn’t hold any sympathy to the one that had called her a “true friend”, or the one who had promised her so much.

All she saw was a liar. All she felt was brokenness. All she held was a dagger.

“As a monster once said…you take away my world…” Starlight Glimmer muttered, her voice lost, her horn’s magic wrapped around the dagger and bringing it forward into the sunlight. Straight over the large hole in his chest.

Then she leaned closer, until she and Ultron were finally face to face.

“I take away yours,” she whispered so, so low.

PreviousChapters Next