• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,987 Views, 146 Comments

The Tale of the Second Alpha - Bergen



Equestria, the vast land ruled by ponies. But this was not always the case. Long before the rule of the princesses Equestria was ruled by dragons the leader which was the Alpha. This is the tale of the Second Alpha.

  • ...
15
 146
 2,987

PreviousChapters Next
When All Paths Converge (A Magical Disturbance)

Crystal Empire; just before noon.

What do you mean he left!?" Celestia asked, rather exclaimed at the gigantic dragon was in front of her. Celestia being in a meeting with the Alpha in order to plan on setting up a time that it would possible to include Theta in Twilight, Zulu's, and her daughter's mission to investigate the strange magical occurrence just outside of Ponyville. Celestia being in the meeting with the Alpha alone as Luna had entrusted that she would be able to finish a seemingly trivial matter and allow the blue alicorn a full day rest having a long night of watching the dreams of her pony subjects.

However, such plans were quickly dashed after Celestia learned not only was Theta not going to be able to be a part of the mission to Ponyville, he wasn't even in the Crystal Empire anymore.

"Exactly what I said. Theta is gone, he left less than an hour ago." Alpha said down to Celestia, the white alicorn barely contained frustration building as he continued to speak.

"Alright, do you, at least, know where he went?" Celestia continued to ask her question, trying to find any possible clue for where he could've gone. If the Alpha at least knew where he was then something could be arranged for Twilight, Zulu, and Sunset to meet him there before they began their journey to Ponyville. Celestia had to keep trying, there had to be an answer for her here somewhere.

"Unfortunately, no I do not." Alpha said, immediately crushing all of Celestia's avenues to possibly find out where Theta had gone.

"Damnit..." Celestia cursed underneath her breath as she had to avert her gaze away from the Alpha above her. Celestia allowing just a taste of the frustration that had been building up inside of her to escape in just a simple whisper of a curse. Celestia rarely, if ever sworn, especially in public. Celestia trying to keep the mask of a perfect ruler to all her subjects and amongst the leaders of the other nations of the world. But with the Alpha, a close friend that she had known since she was just a child. She was more willing and comfortable to let her mask fall just a little bit.

"Then why? Why did Theta leave?" Celestia asked, her others avenues for finding out any information having been closed she had tried for one last time attempt. Why? Why did Theta leave? The apprentice of the Alpha wouldn't just leave an important political summit for no reason at all, there had to be a reason. Why?

Theta had to know that his brother was still out on the loose with plans to do who knows what to not just Equestria but the rest of the world. Why would he leave during such an important summit? Why?

"H-he had a vision," Alpha said simply, almost remorsefully to Celestia's ears. Celestia shifted her gaze back to Alpha and up to his massive eyes... and all she saw was sadness. The dragon that was the size of a mountain above her might as well have been the size of a mouse for how tired and broken down he looked. His once red scales had only continued to fade and lose their color, many of them chipping and falling over his skin. His eyes had the closest thing to what Celestia could recognize as bags underneath them. His eyes had lost most of their color and had a firm coat of haze over the top of them. She wouldn't have been surprised if he could even see her properly. The Alpha likely only seeing her as a small white speck beneath him in his vision, and that was only how his vision could be affected. Celestia didn't even want to consider how his other scenes like scent and hearing could be affected as well. He was not the majestic dragon that she had grown up admiring. The best way to describe what her friend looked like was simply... tired. He looked tired.

And it pained her. It pained her to see her old friend like this. She couldn't possibly know what was currently going through the Alpha mind at that very moment.

"A vision, what kind of vision?" Celestia asked with concern filling her voice. She was well aware of what an Alpha's visions were and just what they could entail. Celestia remembering when the Alpha, when he still went by Delta, told her about his visions of Omega's original betrayal before it had happened.

"Theta didn't tell me any of the details but all I know is that it involved his brother, my other apprentice, Sigma." Alpha said, Celestia noting the pain in his voice when he mentioned his fallen apprentice. Celestia being remembered of something, or rather someone, else as she continued to study the features of the massive dragon above her.

Herself.

All of his features, mannerisms, and expressions remind Celestia all too much of how she once looked in the week and months after her falling out with Sunset Shimmer, and even more so the many decades possibly even centuries of loneliness and depression she went through after she was forced to use the Elements of Harmony in order to defeat and banish her own sister.

"What did he say?" Celestia asked, her words soft and barely above the sound of a whisper. If Celestia was right and the Alpha's hearing had been affected in a similar manner to his vision. She doubt that he would even be able to hear her.

He did. Clearly, his hearing wasn't one of his senses that was being affected by his seemingly sudden aging. At least, not yet anyway.

"He said that Sigma had captured him and torturing him by hurting someone that he cared about. He didn't say who, but based on how he was acting I can say with absolute certainty that it was someone that he deeply cared for." Alpha said, all of his breaths strained and heavy.

"I see," Celestia mumbled under her breath. The sudden disappearance of Theta was unfortunate, especially with Sigma still at large. It was possible that such a vision was intended by Sigma. A ruse designed to draw his brother out and into the open. She wasn't familiar with the inner workings of an Alpha's vision so anything was possible. But regardless, while it would've been ideal to include Theta in this endeavor, it wasn't necessary. Twilight, Zulu, and Sunset would certainly be enough to get to the bottom of this strange disturbance. There was still a hope, a slim one, that it was truly nothing and of little concern. Hopefully, the Alpha would agree with her reasoning.

"Well, as unfortunate as this new turn of events is, it doesn't change the fact this magical disturbance in Ponyville needs to be investigated immediately."

"Something that we are in agreement of," Alpha interjected. "And if I see Theta when and if he returns to the Crystal Empire. I will be sure to inform him of this new development as soon as possible." Alpha added, another warm spreading across her muzzle as he did.

"Thank you, Alpha. And so, if there is nothing else to be discussed I will take my leave then and allow you to get some rest." Celestia said with a slight bow of her head. The Alpha matching it with a similar dip of his massive head in return.

"That will be all, Celestia. And thank you." Alpha said simply, breathing out a slight sigh.

"You're welcome, Alpha." Celestia said as she turned to leave the room. Now with Theta seemingly out of the picture for the time being she still had to gather up Twilight, Zulu, and her daughter and plan their journey to Ponyville. The disturbance in Ponyville and the still unexplained appearance of Sigma in the human world were too closely lining up in time that it was next . And if it is wasn't Sigma and someone completely different... that was an issue that Celestia didn't really want to deal with at the moment.

"One potientally dangerous situation at a time." Celestia told herself internally as she made her way through the halls of the Crystal Palace towards where Twilight and Zulu's seperate, though she wouldn't be surprised if they were now a single shared one now, quarter were located. She had already informed Sunset Shimmer to meet up with Twilight and Zulu beforehoof and wait for her arrival.

Little did Celestia know that not only was Theta already in Ponyville but his brother's plans for making Equestria burn to the ground was already beginning to take shape.


Fillydelphia; just passed noon.

The journey from the mountains of the outskirts of Equestria to the city of Fillydelphia was a long one. Especially, if you were attempting to do it as stealthily as possible. Something that was even more difficult when traveling with somepony as loud as Sonata.

"Are we there yet!" The unmistakable voice of Sonata rang out for an amount of time that Sigma had since stopped keeping track of.

"So what exactly is your plan here?" Adagio asked Sigma as the two of them overlooked the large city in the distance. "Fillydelphia is a large city, trying to find just a single pony in a city with millions is going to be no easy task."

What Adagio was saying was true and Sigma was certainly not about to argue with her about. He had already thought he had found the bearer of the Element of Witchcraft before with Sunset Shimmer only to be disappointed when it turned out that the Element had simply led him to the human world because the bearers to one of the other Elements happened to live there. Sigma had his suspicions about just who he thought that bearer was. But he was going to keep those suspicions to himself for the time being. But he wasn't going into this search without a means of finding his target.

"Adagio..." Sigma began, catching the Siren's attention.

"Yes."

"Have you have wondered what is the best way to find a needle in a haystack?" Sigma asked Adagio, with a slight smile on his muzzle as he did.

"No, but I think that you are going to tell me anyway," Adagio answered. Sigma's question was rhetorical and she knew that. Sigma had to have a way of tracking the Element's bearer more specifically than just what city they were currently in. Sigma was very much still a mystery to her, as were these Elements of Disharmony that they were currently searching for.

"Hmm... clever," Sigma said more to himself appreciating the witty banter that he was currently having with Adagio. He liked Adagio, she was certainly the competent of the three Sirens that he was currently working with. Aria was serviceable, most of her issues relating to her reactions with Sonata. And Sonata was... well Sonata. Adagio was smart, almost dangerously so. She knew what she wanted and she knew how to get it. That made her a viable asset in Sigma's mission to watch Equestria burn. But at the same, that also made her dangerous. She had to see him in the same way, possibly even less so. Adagio likely just seeing him as nothing more than the brute force in the operation. Him being the brawn with her being the brains, well he was sure about to show her just how much brain he did process.

"You use a magnet." Sigma finished while holding the amulet that hung from his neck in his clawed paw.

"I see. Well, in that case, carry on Sigma." Adagio said, a devilish smile spreading across her muzzle as she stared at the red gem of the amulet that wrapped around Sigma's neck. The red gem reminding Adagio so much of her own.

"Amulet, locate your bearer," Sigma said

"My bearer is located in the Dragontonwn district of the city. I however cannot give a specific location until we become closer to their true location." The gem said simply before falling silent again.

"Dragontown, how confident."

"Indeed, makes going through the city while unnoticed much easier."

"This bearer better be worth all of this effort. I would hate it if we traveled all this way only for them to not be on board with our plans." Adagio said, though not believing that such a bearer of such an object such dark and powerful magic would not jump at the opportunity to watch Equestria burn.

"Even if they do it matters not. We will get what we came for regardless if this Element's bearer disapproves of it." Sigma said simply, his words taking Adagio slightly off guard.

"What do you mean?" Adagio asked, not pleased with the tone and phrasing of Sigma's words. Just what exactly was he planning when they found this bearer.

"You will see, this will join our ranks. Willing, or not." Sigma said with a huff as he began working towards the heart of the city leaving Adagio in stunned silence behind him. Adagio was certain that Sigma hadn't her everything that he was planning nor did she expect that he would. But even so, she assumed that any other such secrets would be minor in the grand scheme of things. But now she wasn't so sure. What exactly was he planning to do when he found the bearer of the Element of Witchcraft. Furthermore, what did he plan when he found the bearers of all of the other Elements of Disharmony. Sigma's secrecy put her more and more at unease as time went on.

"What is it Adagio, you seem troubled?" Aria asked, taking a position at the lead Siren's right side.

"Aria, be cautious around Sigma. I don't trust him." Adagio said, her words getting a small chuckle out of the purple-haired Siren.

"You don't trust anyone Adagio, why would a dragon that we just met be any different." Aria said with a slight laugh. Adagio not trusting someone was nothing new. In fact, she wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even trust her fellow Sirens completely.

"Yeah, you don't even trust me in the slightest! You big meanie!" Sonata said excitedly as she bounced her to find a place at Adagio's left side. Sonata's outburst causing another headache to begin to form.

"I do trust you, Sonata." Adagio said defensively. Her words making Sonata's raspberry-colored eyes widen slightly from surprise. Sonata thought she hated her and was willing to keep her around in order to use the hypnotic powers of her voice. "Both of you." Adagio added looking slightly to her right at Aria. The other Siren was touched by Adagio's words but was able to keep her usual natural expression as Adagio continued. "You two can just be a bit of pain to deal with at times. But I do still trust you girls, both of you girls." Adagio said, allowing a bit of her frustration to seep out as she did while still telling the truth when it comes to whether or not she actually trusted her fellow Sirens.

"Um... thanks... I guess." Aria mumbled underneath her breath, not quite sure if she should take Adagio's words as a compliment or as an insult.

"Are you three coming or not!" Sigma called back to three Sirens, catching each of their attentions. "I would like it if we reached Dragontown before nightfall."

"Yes, we are!" Adagio called back to Sigma before shifting her attention back to Aria. "Heed my worries Aria, this isn't just a game anymore." Adagio said to Aria, the other Siren nodding her head in understanding. Aria may not be perfect but she was certainly reliable enough for Adagio to trust that she wouldn't let her down when things got hectic.

"Games, I like games!" Sonata exclaimed still at a volume that could be classified as a whisper.

"Shut up, Sonata!" Both Adagio and Sonata said at the same time as the three Sirens began walking to regroup with Sigma beginning the long trek throughout the large city to Dragontown in order to find the bearer of the Element of Witchcraft. A bearer that would be a surprise to them in more ways than one.


Ponyville; late afternoon around 3:30 pm.

"So, why did you come to Ponyville anyway, Theta?" Lemon Hearts asked the white dragon that had joined them for lunch. Their lunch now turning into a slightly early dinner as well.

"That's... personal. Let's just say that there was something that I needed to look into here and leave it at that." Theta said simply and without much emotion, him trying to avoid telling the rest of Moon Dancer's friends the exact reason why he had traveled to Ponyville in the first place. Theta assuming that the others would take the knowledge that he had a vision involving Moon Dancer in danger the wrong way.

Lemon Hearts could tell that Theta was hiding something about his true reasons for arriving in Ponyville. But she choose not to pursue any further, she had already broken the privacy of Moon Dancer that day. She didn't want to also invade the privacy of her new colt friend, or what the correct term for a dragon boyfriend would be, as well.

"But, weren't you in the Crystal Empire because of that Princess Summit thing?" Moon Dancer asked Theta, catching the white dragon's attention.

"I was, but I was given permission by the Alpha to leave and come to Ponyville beforehand." Theta said, trying to put an end to this conversation as soon as possible without making it come off like he was angry at it being merely brought up. Theta did want to discuss the contents with Moon Dancer in greater detail later, he just wanted to do it when he was certain that the two of them were alone before doing so.

"Oh, how it warms my heart to see. Just you two together with such glee." The distinctive voice of a certain zebra came from behind Moon Dancer.

"Zecora!" Moon Dancer exclaimed as she turned around at where the voice had come from. It taking Moon Dancer long to find the source of the rhymic speech. Moon Dancer's gaze falling on the frame of a striped figure wearing a simple hood over her head. The figure removing her hood to reveal the zebra medicine mare Zecora. A pleasant smile adorning the muzzle of Zecora.

"Hello, Moon Dancer it is a pleasure to see you spend time with your friends. I hope that great fortune will come onto you all as time entends." Zecora said in her usual rhyming way. Moon Dancer finding Zecora's rhyming way of speaking equal parts fascinating and frustrating.

"Um... thank you Zecora." Moon Dancer said awkwardly as she felt a slight blush beginning to form on her muzzle, not quite sure how to take such a compliment. Moon Dancer adverting her gaze away from Zecora briefly as she felt her blush begin to spread. Moon Dancer also clearing her throat before she spoke again. "Is there something else that you wanted to discuss with me?" Moon Dancer as she brought her gaze back to Zecora hoping that she had been able under control in the brief that she had looked from the zebra.

She hadn't.

The slight tint of pink on her muzzle getting a small chuckle out of Zecora.

"Indeed there is a matter that I wish to discuss. Unforunating it involves something that not even I can determine thus." Zecora said now catching the interest of Theta as well.

"What kind of matter?" Theta asked Zecora. If Zecora was coming to him directly involving something that not even the medicine mare could determine the origin of. Then it was certainly something in need of investigating. Zecora pleased at the interest of the white dragon shifted her attention away from Moon Dancer and over to Theta.

"A matter involving a great magical power. We must make haste at this time of hour. Where we need be is close. I am sure that you will be able to diagnose." Zebra said to Theta in her usual rhyming way.

"Interesting, if magic is involved I'm going to need an expert." Theta said scratching his lower jaw. Theta slightly cursing that he had left the Crystal Empire. Twilight would be very helpful right now. Moon Dancer should work, sure she wasn't as experienced as Twilight but she surely would be enough for such a task. "Moon Dancer, would you be up for joining me with assisting Zecora?" Theta asked Moon Dancer. Moon Dancer feeling the sides of her cheeks growing hotter at the prospect of spending even more time with Theta. Sure they wouldn't be alone, as they would be joined by Zecora. However, Zecora had urged to follow her heart and accept her feelings toward Theta. Moon Dancer expecting a lot of teasing coming from Zecora the moment that the two were alone if she accepted. However, at the same time, Theta needed her help. And she couldn't deny any longer that she truly want to be by Theta's side. The teasing of Zecora and others be damned.

"Oh, um... Lemon Hearts, Minuette, and Twinkleshine do you mind if I leave and help out Theta and Zecora?" Moon Dancer asked her friends. Moon Dancer not wanting to make it sound like she was abandoning them.

"Sure, Moon Dancer. You and Theta can take all of the time that you need. Lunch technically ended two hours ago anyway." Lemon Hearts said for her other two friends. What this mare needed clearly took precedent over having a later lunch with her and the other girls.

"Thanks, Lemon..." Moon Dancer thanked the mint-colored unicorn before shifting her attention back over to Theta. "In that case, I accept. I'm not sure how much of a benefit I would actually be. But I am willing to do my best and try." Moon Dancer said to Theta, accepting his offer to help with whatever Zecora was suggesting. Moon Dancer and Theta both raising from the table. The both of them ready to follow Zecora to the location of this mysterious magical disturbance.

"Then follow me and let us make haste. The longer we take, the more I fear that this world's balance will be displaced." Zecora said as turned around and began

"Zecora really is a character isn't she?" Theta asked Moon Dancer at whisper volume. Theta's words getting a small chuckle out Moon Dancer.

"She definitely is." Moon Dancer responded at the same whisper volume. The both of them wishing that Zecora wasn't able to hear them at the short distance that they were following her.

As Moon Dancer continued to follow Zecora with Theta by her side a single thought kept swirling around in her head the whole team. Moon Dancer barely being able to focus on the issue of an unknown magical disturbance having occurred not far from the town that she was currently using as temporary, or at least was hoped was temporary, home. No, she could only think about

But should she. Should pursue this relationship further. Sure she liked Theta. He was nice, smart, funny, and despite their obvious difference in species she still felt a connection towards him that she couldn't explain by seemingly normal means. The more that she spent with him, the more she realized the less that she wanted to spend away from him. This hole in her heart that she seemed to have ever since traveling to the Dragon Empire and meeting Theta was a hole that she wanted to be filled. And the only way that seemed possible was to have Theta in her life. She just hoped that he felt the same.

"I hope this doesn't take too long. I was hoping to being able to spend more time with you." Moon Dancer said, her words at a volume even lower than before. Moon Dancer definitely not wanting Zecora to overhear her.

"I-I would like that very much." Theta said in return.

Unaware to the new young couple Zecora could, in fact, hear everything that the two of them were saying. A warm smile spreading across her muzzle as she did. Zecora didn't necessarily plan on going out of her way in order to get the two of them together. Zecora was no matchmaker. Zecora simply hoping that sooner or later either Moon Dancer or Theta would come to their senses and express their true feelings to each other without the need of her intervention.

But, nonetheless, she was pleased with the results.


Crystal Empire; late afternoon 4:00 pm.

The sun began to set over the horizon as Twilight, Zulu, and Sunset Shimmer patiently waited for the train that they would take to Ponyville. Twilight had hoped to spend more time in the Crystal Empire and actually do more of her new princess duties, but if Princess Celestia truly thought that this magical disturbance outside of Ponyville was vital enough to send not only herself but also Zulu and Sunset Shimmer then it must be important enough to take Twilight away from fulfilling her new princess duties. Besides, Twilight still wasn't sure what princess duties would really entail anyway. As far as she could tell it was simply being an errand pony for Princess Celestia to deal with issues that would arise across Equestria and even beyond. Not really all that much different than what she was to Princess Celestia before she had become princess Twilight came to the grim realization. Hopefully, things would change though, hopefully.

But aside from Twilight's mild existential crisis, another thought was ping-ponging in her brain as she nervously waited for their train's arrival. The Crystal Empire was the end of the railway so even if their train did arrive it would have to travel slightly further ahead so that it could turn back around for the return trip to Ponyville. That being why Theta had left the Crystal Empire early in the first place. Princess Celestia didn't go into the details as to why he had left. The Princess explaining that she had planned on sending him along with the rest of them, something that Zulu confirmed to Twilight, but was unable once she learned from the Alpha himself that Theta had already left on a separate personal matter. A matter that Princess Celestia didn't further explain, simply stating that she didn't feel that it was not her place to explain Theta's reasons for leaving any further. Princess Celestia's explain, or lack thereof, putting even more doubt into Twilight's mind.

What really did the Princess really know. Did she really know why Theta left and more importantly where he went. Princess Celestia was a secretive pony, Twilight would be a foal if she denied. Tartarus, the mare that was standing beside her, Sunset Shimmer, was proof of that. A secret daughter to the alicorn princess and leader of Equestria that no pony, not even Princess Luna was aware of. Sunset clearly knew that she was the Princess' daughter as she was the one that relieved But even then, how much did Sunset know. Did she even know who her father was, and furthermore did her father even know of her. Twilight had so many questions swirling around her mind regarding the Princess and Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight still struggled to see Princess Celestia as a mother, but the more she thought about it the more it made sense. During Twilight's time as her student, she spent most of her time at the castle studying. Many of her studies involving one-on-ones with the Princess herself. Had Princess Celestia really seen Twilight as her prized student all of those years, or was she just a vessel for the Princess to work through the grief of losing her daughter? It was a sobering thought. Twilight and Sunset were remarkably similar only a foal would deny it, and Twilight was no foal. Some of the Princess' paternal instincts had to have rubbed off on Twilight over the years, even if it wasn't intentional.

Twilight's internal thoughts were interrupted when she heard the unmistakable loud shriek of a train whistle, their train having finally arrived. The large locomotive coming to a halt at the train station with a thundering thud of grinding gears, shrieking breaks, and hizzing hydraulics. A white unicorn stallion with a red mane and bright blue eyes wearing the navy blue uniform exiting the passenger car immediately following the train's coal tender. Everything about the pony's appearance indicated that he was the train's conductor. A fact only confirmed as he addressed the small station.

"Private train to from the Crystal Empire to Ponyville for Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, King Zulu of the Changeling Kingdom, and Sunset Shimmer!" The conductor announced to the most vacant train station. Twilight could feel the sides of her cheeks flush with heat that announcement of her as a Princess of Equestria. Sure, she was certainly the country's newest Princess, and while she surely wished to truly begin her new duties as a Princess of Equestria. Hearing other ponies announce her as such was still strange to her. Besides, not so long ago she and the conductor would've been equal. But now, now that wasn't the case anymore. She was his princess and he was her subject. And it was her duty to serve and protect him and all the others of Equestria from threats to their wellbeing and way of life. This

"Did Princess Celestia, or Princess Luna, or even Cadence, feel the same way?" Twilight thought as she raised her hoof catching the conductor's attention. The formally dressed stallion using his crimson-colored magic to dip his cap in respect to the newly crowned fourth princess. Conductor, like all the other regular ponies at the small train station, was completely unaware that a fifth princess was standing directly to the left of the fourth, Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight's gaze shifting slightly to the left and she noticed a peculiar expression on that of Sunset Shimmer.

The amber-colored unicorn looking slightly rejected at the train conductor merely announcing her as simply Sunset Shimmer. She wasn't really surprised, however. Her true status as Princess Celestia's daughter and true heir to the throne of Equestria was no longer a complete secret. The royals of the four major nations, Equestria, the Crystal Empire, the Changeling Kingdom, and the Dragon Empire, knew of her existence but she couldn't expect the average citizen to be privy to the same kind of information. Especially, so soon after her true status was revied outside of her small circle of ponies that had known of her true status before she left Equestria. There had been no new announcement to the public yet. Effectively, as far the public was concerned. She was just a simple unicorn. Nothing special.

Sunset knew all of this. It was simple, it was logical, it wasn't the conductor for not being in the know. Then why did she feel this way? She had promised her mother, or at least a version of her mother, to give up her old ways. Then why was she feeling this? She wasn't jealous was she?

"I'm not jealous." Sunset thought internally as she followed after Twilight Sparkle and Zulu into their train car, the door to which still being held open by the train's conductor. The pleasant smile of the conductor making Sunset feel even worse for her internal thoughts. She wasn't mad at him, she wasn't.

Sunset didn't say anything to either of her two companions as she entered the first passenger car of the train. The train conductor tipping her hat slightly as each of they entered. The train in question being a luxurious one. Princess Celestia clearly sparing no expense even for a seemingly routine trip across Equestria. Maybe this was her mother's subtle way of telling Sunset that she was indeed a royal now, not just in birth but in practice. Or this was just how the subjects. She wouldn't know. She hadn't been in Equestria for years and even when she was she never was a part of any such royal practices. Even as the official student of Princess Celestia. Sunset wasn't allowed to take part in any such official duties. Princess Celestia feared that if Sunset had taken part in any such actions someone would connect the dots and put their secret at risk. Before it made her angry, but now she was just depressed.

She didn't want to be just the secret daughter of Princess Celestia. She didn't just want to be the failed student of Princess Celestia that every pony forgot about the moment Twilight Sparkle showed up. She wanted to be with her mother, alongside her mother. As equals. But as she stared over the train car at the real princess that she was traveling alongside. She couldn't but feel a small hitch in her chest. Twilight Sparkle being currently engaged in polite conservation with Zulu. Sunset being far enough far that she couldn't hear exactly what they were talking about, but the bits and pieces that she did hear were in regards were Twilight asking Zulu's thoughts regarding Theta and his mysterious disappearance. The purple alicorn was so similar to her that it was impossible for Sunset to think that Twilight being chosen as her replacement was a mere coincidence. Sunset wouldn't be surprised if Twilight was chosen for that very reason. A powerful unicorn that reminded her mother of the daughter that she had just lost. A young foal that she could teach and care for the same way that had Sunset. A new daughter to replace the one that she failed. A new daughter that succeeded where Sunset had failed.

The thought hit Sunset like the train that she was currently riding on. Had she just stayed and continued her studies, could she be in the exact same position that Twilight was currently sitting in now. The fourth Princess of Equestria, either it be by birth like she really was or by earned status liked Twilight was now. Had she just not found that damn Black Book. Had she been nicer to Cadence and actually helped her in learning her magic. Had she just been a good girl, none of this would've ever happened.

Had she just listened to her mother!

Had she just stopped!

"I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous." Sunset thought as she sat on an extremely soft pillow in the train car. Sunset using her teal-colored magic, something that she was still getting used to using again, to take a bite out of a small chocolate eclair. It tasted magnificently as took Sunset away from her self-destructive thoughts for a moment and over to the delicious food that was being provided to her.

Even if Sunset wasn't an official princess she was definitely going to eat like one.


Train to Ponyville; dusk around 6:00 pm.

The train ride from the Crystal Empire to Ponyville was mostly uneventful. Sunset having gotten her fill with chocolate and other sweets and was now silently looking out of the train window the passing countryside as their train made the long ride from the Crystal Empire to Ponyville, the small town having had been growing increasingly in importance since Twilight's arrival from Canterlot.

"Sunset Shimmer, how are you feeling?" Twilight Sparkle asked Sunset as she took a seat next to her.

"Um... fine. I guess. And please, Sunset is just fine princess." Sunset said to Twilight as she continued to look out of the window. The train beginning to slow down slightly as it neared its destination. Sunset expecting to be able to see the tall peaks of the Canterlot castle from her window very soon. A sight that she longed for. Canterlot was her home, or at least it was her home. A home that she eagerly wanted to return to.

"Ok Sunset, and please just Twilight is fine." Twilight said with a warm smile. The purple alicorn making a brief look to the left and right, making sure that there was no pony within earshot of the two mares before continuing. There wasn't. "Besides, I'm not the only Princess of Equestria that's sitting here."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Sunset said with a slight chuckle. Sunset's laughter coming to a quick halt and being replaced by a small frown as she continued to stare out of the window. Sure, she was a princess by birth, but that's not the same thing as being one in practice.

"I'm not jealous." Sunset internally chastised herself. She had promised to give up her old ways of evil and jealousy and instead spend the rest of her days engaging in the magic of friendship and good. Then why did she still feel this way? She wasn't angry at Twilight. She was a powerful mare, Sunset had seen that first hand. She had been her mother's student for who knows how long. She had saved Equestria from numerous threats, including herself. By any metric had earned the right for her wings. Sunset knew this. It was obvious for anypony to see.

But still, Sunset's thoughts still remained.

"But, that should've been me."

Sunset's self-destructive thoughts were interrupted when Twilight spoke.

"I never wanted to be a princess." Twilight said suddenly, taking Sunset off guard.

"What?" Sunset said taken aback, shifting away from the window and over to Twilight. The amber unicorn now looking completely at the purple alicorn. The scenery of the outside world now going by in a blur out of Sunset's peripheral vision. The train's slowing down even further as it closed in on Ponyville. Sunset expected that she would soon be able to spot Canterlot very soon.

"I didn't choose to get these wings, Princess Celestia gave them to me." Twilight continued seemingly not hearing, or just ignoring Sunset's outburst. "

"I haven't done anything to earn my status as a Princess. The only thing that makes me a Princess is the fact that I am Princess Celestia's daughter. Besides, what difference does it make? I'm no alicorn... not like you." Sunset said dejectedly, turning away from the purple alicorn and looking out of the window of the train once again.

"Is she jealous, of me?" Twilight thought.

"Shouldn't that be enough." Twilight said, Sunset shifting her gaze slightly back to Twilight while still looking out of the train's window. Sunset didn't respond, rather choosing to stay silent and see where Twilight was going with this new line of logic. Sunset's chosen silence encouraging Twilight to continue. "I would love to Princess Celestia as my mother. I mean, I love my parents but... Princess Celestia." Twilight finished, doing her best to cheer up the other mare, her words having the opposite as she saw the beginnings of tears beginning to form in the teal eyes of Sunset.

"You're more of a daughter to her than I ever was." Sunset said while fighting back tears. Sunset having to advert her gaze from Twilight completely again. It being the only way that she could stop tears in her eyes which were currently just a leaking faucet from into a raging waterfall at that very moment.

"She really is jealous of me." Twilight thought as Sunset continued. Twilight's pity towards the other unicorn growing more and more as Sunset continued.

All ever did was lie to her, disregard her teachings, nearly kill her niece out of childish rage and jealousy... and end up breaking her heart. I am not worthy to call myself a Princess of Equestria, and even if I was my crown would be one made out of thorns."

"Sunset, you aren't the only one here that has made mistakes." Twilight began reaching her hoof across in order to reassure the other mare, only to get interrupted by Sunset as she recoiled her hoof away from Twilight in a single sudden motion.

"You're mistakes are nothing compared to mine." Sunset recoiled, slamming her eyes shut as tears began to leak beneath her closed eyelids.

"You also aren't the only born Princess that has made mistakes either. Just look at Princess Luna." Twilight pressed trying to cheer the amber unicorn up. Her words having the opposite effect as Sunset snorted indignantly.

"I'd rather not have my mistakes be compared to that of Nightmare Moon thank you very much." Sunset stated, her irritation beginning to build. She was angry, at least not yet, but having that mistakes that she had made in her life being compared, even unintentionally, to Princess Luna and her becoming Nightmare Moon wasn't something that Sunset appreciated. Twilight quickly realizing her mistake and retreating slightly before shifting her strategies and continuing onward.

"A Princess who regrets what she did and is now spending her time bringing goodness into the world instead of the Darkness that she wielded so long ago. If she can do that. Then why can't you." Twilight said, this time her words seemed to take hard in Sunset's mind. Sure she had made mistakes on a grand scale but if she aunt had done the same on an even greater scale and still gotten forgiven and strived to be better. Maybe, just maybe, she could do better. Sunset knew that she had to start somewhere then this mission to Ponyville would be a good place to start.

But there was still something else. Something that was lying just beneath the skin that was bugging Sunset. Something that she knew if she didn't find an answer to it would continue to eat away at her for the rest of her new life here in Equestria.

"Twilight, I appreciate the thought but..." Sunset began only to suddenly stop herself for seemingly no reason. Sunset's teal eyes growing to the size of dinner plates and her mouth falling open out of shock. Sunset being shaken to her very core by what she had just saw outside the train's window. It being a sight that seemed to break her already damaged heart in two. And so the floodgates were let open as tears upon tears began to shamelessly flow down her cheeks.

"What?" Twilight asked confused, not sure why Sunset had stopped mid-sentence for seemingly no reason.

"Sweet Celestia!" A shocked and wide-eyed gasp came from Sunset. The amber unicorn recoiling from the window and covering her mouth in shock from whatever she had just seen.

"What!?" Twilight exclaimed even more confused than before, not being able to see what Sunset was looking at from where she was sitting.

"Look!" Sunset exclaimed standing to her full height and using her right foreleg to point out the window at what she was seeing. Twilight standing up and walking over to Sunset's side so that she could see out the window of the train. A saddened frown spreading across Twilight's muzzle as she stared at what Sunset had just saw.

It was Canterlot, or more accurately what was left of it. The once magnificent city that had served as the capital of Equestria for over a millennium was now little more than a still smoking ruin. The city having suffered the damage of two full-scale invasions. One from Chrysalis and her changelings and another and more devasting invasion of Omega. Omega's assault on the city nearly wiped it over the face of the mountainside that it was built into.

"Oh... that..." Twilight said weakly as she shifted her gaze towards the floor of the train car.

"Y-you knew of this?" Sunset whimpered fighting through her tears in order to complete a coherent sentence.

Twilight didn't respond, merely nodding her head. Sunset seeing the sides of Twilight's eyes beginning to swell up with tears. Though she could she any leaking out and falling down her cheeks yet. The purple alicorn having to avert her gaze away from the ruined city. It being the only way that Twilight could stop herself from openly weeping.

"What happened?" Sunset pleaded, she needed to know what happpened. What possibly could've caused so much damage to her home in order to leave it as little more than a smoldering ruin. She had to know. And more importantly, why wasn't she told about this before. Her mother had mentioned that they couldn't return to Canterlot that night that she had returned to Equestria but she thought the reason was just because of the lateness of the hour. She hadn't, and couldn't have, expected that the real reason was that the city of Canterlot no longer existed.

Twilight was about to respond but just couldn't. All of the words that she could've used to speak dying the moment she opened her mouth. Twilight closing

Luckily she didn't have to as the third occupant of the train car entered the scene.

"Omega happened." Zulu said simply walking over to where the two mares were currently sitting.

"Omega?" Sunset asked Zulu, shifting her attention away from Twilight and over to the changeling.

"The Alpha's brother and the first corrupted Alpha. He was defeated by the Alpha and banished long ago, even before Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon. Omega finding refuge with the changeling and hiding there until he returned during the time of Twilight's coronation. Omega and Sigma joining their forces and destroying most of Canterlot. Omega only being stopped by the Alpha once again." Zulu explained.

"S-Sigma did this." Sunset said looking back at the ruins of Canterlot once again. Another troubling thought passing through Sunset's mind as she did.

"Sigma did this. The dragon who I sought to takeover Equestria did this. He destroyed my home and I worked with him." Sunset thought her sadness now being replaced with anger as her rage began to build inside of her. Not only did she work with the very dragon that destroyed her home. She had agreed that once Equestria had fallen that the two of them would rule over the conquered land together. Sunset agreed to all of this despite being unaware of the fact that her very home wasn't even still standing had they even succeeded in the first place. She really had been played by that cursed dragon.

"Not all of it, most of the destruction was caused by Omega and Alpha during their battle but yes. Sigma was there. In fact, this was where he betrayed Theta and became the fallen Alpha that we know today." Zulu clarified, but it didn't make much of a difference to Sunset. Whether or not Sigma was the one who did most of the damage to her home, or if he was just a passing specter to all of the chaos. He was still there, he was still responsible, and more importantly, she didn't know.

"And she didn't tell me... my mother didn't tell me." Sunset expressed her thoughts out loud. Twilight and Zulu both sharing a look of genuine concern for the other mare. Sure Sunset had given up her evil ways and said that she was going to spend the rest of her days putting friendship and goodness into the world but still Twilight nor Zulu completely honested her. For all that they knew, seeing Canterlot in the state that it currently was in could very well just be the push that was needed to send her back into the Darkness that had captured her when she was younger. Something that Twilight was not going to allow to happen. Sunset was a powerful unicorn which made both a powerful ally and while also simultaneously a dangerous foe.

"I'm certain that she wanted to."

"No, it's fine." Sunset spat indignantly, her sadness for the loss of her old home continuing to be replaced by rage towards Sigma and her own failures.

Her home was gone, destroyed by a dragon that she had unknowingly worked with. What if she had succeeded and returned to Equestria to take over and rule only to find that Canterlot was no longer standing. Then what. Would've all of her effort to take Twilight's Element of Harmony be for nothing. What would be the point of ruling if the place where you wanted to rule already no longer existed.

And more importantly, what if she never left in the first place. If she had never left Equestria and continued her studies, possibly even joining her mother as an official Princess, would Canterlot still be standing?

Sunset knew that she was a failure already, but now, seeing her old home as nothing more than a still smoking ruin just put even more fuel to the fire.

"This is my fault." Sunset vocalized her thoughts. She hadn't meant to say those thoughts out loud but now that her mouth was moving and her brain couldn't stop it. "Had I just listened to her and continued my teachings maybe this would've never happened." Sunset finished, even more pity for the amber unicorn building up inside of Twilight as she did. Sunset was blaming herself for something that was by very seeming metric wasn't her fault.

Was Sunset self-hatred really that deep inside of her. Did she truly hate herself for all of the mistakes that she had made, real or perceived? If so, Twilight had to put a stop to it. Twilight had promised Sunset before the two of them had left the human world and returned to Equestria that she would help Sunset to embrace friendship and bring goodness into the world. Sunset had indeed expelled the Darkness from her heart and embraced the Light. And yet Sunset's troubles weren't yet fixed. If anything they had merely taken a different than they had before. And so, a different task was set before her. Before she was saving Sunset from a Darkness hidden deep inside of her. Now she had to save Sunset from herself and her own misplaced self-hatred. Sunset was her friend and helping other friends through trials and tribulations is what a good friend does.

"Sunset..." Twilight began reaching out and grasping the hoof of the other mare. This time Sunset didn't pull away but she did flinch slightly. Sunset's head snapping immediately towards Twilight and her teal eyes widening at the purple alicorn's touch. Twilight didn't press any further, merely holding the other mare's hoof for a brief.

"I'm here for you Sunset, you aren't alone." Twilight's silent gesture spoke to Sunset and indeed she wasn't alone anymore. She had her family once again. Her mother, who finally wanted to treat her like the daughter that she was. A new aunt that she could relate to and help her in working through all of the hang-ups that were still bothering her. She even had new friends that cared about her. Twilight certainly was her friend and she cared about her, and Sunset was certain that if she got to know the rest of this world's versions of Twilight's friends she would get along with them as well. Yes, she wasn't alone anymore. She didn't have to do everything by herself anymore. She... she wasn't perfect... and that was ok.

"This isn't your fault. No one expect the Alpha could stand against Omega. Not Celestia, not Luna, not Cadence, not even me. If had been here when he attacked, while you might not be here today to talk about it." Twilight finally spoke softly to Sunset. Twilight's words being above those of a whisper. Her message to the amber unicorn being clear. Though she hadn't said outright. Sunset was smart enough to connect the dots in the purple alicorn's logic. Had she been there and attempted to take on Omega she would've been killed. Not could've, would've. The thought was a sobering one for Sunset. Twilight was right if Omega was a powerful dragon to cause this devastation what could she possibly do to stop him. Then why was she blaming herself for something that she couldn't possibly have been responsible for?

"Because you deserve everything that has happened to you, and you deserve to be punished for your failures." A voice that Sunset thought had been destroyed spoke internally to her. The voice causing a spark in Sunset's chest to burst out and a raging inferno to begin burning.

No, stop it!

She had to stop hating herself. Yes, she had made mistakes, big ones, but that doesn't give her an excuse to just continue to wallow in her own self-pity. She had to do better. She needed to. For herself, for her family, for mother, her friends, and for the citizens of Equestria that it was her duty as the Fifth Princess of Equestria to serve.

She was a Princess. It was about damn time she acted like one.

"Thank you, Twilight. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that." Sunset said to Twilight, a thin but nonetheless happy smile spreading across Sunset's muzzle as she did so. Twilight mirroring Sunset's smile with one of her own. The purple alicorn's words seeming to take effect on the amber unicorn.

"You're welcome," Twilight said gratefully as she and Sunset exchanged a brief but meaningful hug. The two mares breaking apart as the door to the train car was opened. The train's conductor entering.

"Next stop, Ponyville Center Station!" The loudly announced as he entered. The three other occupants of the train car nodding in acknowledgment as the conductor passed by them. The conductor using his magic to dip his cap slightly out of respect as did so. The conductor extended his strides slightly once he passed the three royals. The conductor reaching the opposite door of the train car. The conductor just as quickly as he had arrived.

"Alright, let's get this over with." Twilight said standing up. Twilight bracing as she did. The train coming to a sudden and jerking halt as it pulled into the Ponyville train station. Twilight walking over to the exit of the train car. The door to which was opened by Zulu. Twilight giving the changeling a silent 'thank you' with the lower of her head as she exited the train and placed her hooves down on the station. Twilight feeling to back in Ponyville. While she did grow up and spend most of her life in Canterlot. She could deny that in the past few months Ponyville had become her home.

Twilight making a brief scan of her surroundings before realizing that something was off. Zulu was right by her side, but there was no Sunset to be seen. Where was she?

It did not take long for Twilight realize where Sunset had gone, or rather where she was still present.

"Sunset you coming?" Twilight called back to the other mare. Twilight noticing that Sunset hadn't gotten up and was sitting inside of the stopped train. A flash of anxiety rushing throughout Twilight as she looked back at Sunset.

"Yes, right behind you Princess." Sunset with a pleasant and genuine smile. The mare jumping to her hooves and following after the other two royals. Sunset exiting the train and jumping onto the train station just as the train's whistle blared.

"Excellent, so were are here. It is already getting dark out, so it would be counterproductive to begin our investigation right now." Twilight said noticing that the sun was already beginning to set beneath the mountain that Canterlot was built into.

"I agree, so what's the plan Twilight?" Zulu asked.

"We can spend the night at the library and begin our search tomorrow at first light." Twilight stated

"Sounds good, lead the way, Princess." Sunset said agreeing with Twilight's plan.

And so the three royals made the short journey from the train station and to Twilight treehouse library. The three of them still assuming that this magical disturbance was merely a minor issue. Oh, how wrong they all were.


Fillydelphia; late-night around 10:00 pm

Performing magic tricks wasn't a difficult job for Trixie. Sure it had its issues like all jobs did, but otherwise, she enjoyed it. The Great and Powerful Trixie was able to bask in the glory and prestige while in front of a crowd of adoring fans. Though Trixie did have to admit that she did miss performing in front of ponies, ever since her two failed experiences in Ponyville she had since found it better to perform in front of individuals that had no prospect of calling her out on her magical abilities. Or rather, her lack of abilities.

Trixie was a proud and selfish mare, but she also wasn't stupid. She knew that her magic wasn't as powerful as that of say Twilight Sparkle for example, or even the average unicorn she was being completely honest with herself. However, she also knew that she didn't need to be extremely talented in reality in order to come off as one on a stage in front of those that wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The blue unicorn actually relying on using smoke and other such effects to mask her deficiencies and make her appear more talented than she actually was.

This need and desire for her to perform in front of those that couldn't challenge her are what led her to Fillydelphia. More specifically, Dragontown. A small district of the much larger city where many dragons from all over Equestria and even from the Dragon Empire proper lived in their own smaller integrated community. The lack of dragon processing any sort of magic made them the perfect candidates to be impressed by even Trixie's lackluster magic skills. Dragons also tended to be very wealthy, which was an added bonus when it came to a pony that relied on ticket sales and the cost of admission in order to put food on the table.

"Not bad day's work the Great and Powerful Trixie if she said so herself." Trixie said to herself as she counted out the amount of coin that she had made that day. Trixie speaking about herself in the third person. Trixie having gotten so used to referring to herself in the third person while on stage that she even did so in general conversation and even when in private and simply taking to herself. She also like doing it because it was fun.

Trixie's happy thoughts were put to a halt when she heard a knock on the door to her wagon. Trixie letting out an annoyed groan at the intrusion.

"This better not be the police snooping around. The Great and Powerful Trixie has the right to set up her cart here. She has a permit. This time." Trixie grumbled to herself as she walked over to the door to the wagon. Trixie making sure that she got a permit to park her cart in Dragontown before hoof. She usually didn't bother to get one if she was only going to be in a city or town for just one night. But due her planning on staying in Fillydelphia for a week or so she thought it necessary to get one. Just in case the local police decided to send her a house call in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately for her. It wasn't the police on the other side of her door.

Author's Note:

Just barely missed finishing this chapter for the end of the year, but I guess you can take this as a New Year's gift for you all. Happy 2022 everyone and let's keep this new year rolling in the future!

Even after four years, I still hate writing in rhyme. I guess you can say that it takes up a lot of my time. I love Zecora as a character. I hate writing her simply due to how she speaks. Writing Trixie and her third-person manner of speaking was also a little difficult. But still not to the level of pain that Zecora's rhyming is.

By the way, the scene with Twilight and Sunset on the train was not planned when I began writing this chapter. I had planned the scene on the train station but after I finished it I realized that a follow-up scene on the train going to Ponyville not only made sense but simply just going straight to the final scene in Fillydelphia would be jarring and screw with the pacing. I hope you all like it. It is the scene in this chapter that I am probably most proud of.

Sunset might actually become a secondary protagonist of this story alongside Theta as things continue. I love Sunset and writing her is a blast.

There is also something else that is currently in the works at the moment. Over the holidays inspiration stuck and an idea for a one-off short story unrelated to this one came into my head. Now I can't make any promises of when or even if this will see the light of day. But I thought you should all know. I won't give any specific details (though I will confirm that this story is not Christmas/holiday-related) right now but like always you can go and check my progress for both this new short story and the chapters to follow on the process bar on my profile page.

And lastly.

Thank you all for all of your continued support. December 2021 was the popular month ever and the first ever to break 2,000 combined views, the 13th (when the last chapter was released) being the most popular single day ever with over 500 views. More in one day than a few months achieved during my nearly four-year hiatus. So again thank you so much. I'm the HeroofBergen signing off until next time.

PreviousChapters Next