• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,986 Views, 146 Comments

The Tale of the Second Alpha - Bergen



Equestria, the vast land ruled by ponies. But this was not always the case. Long before the rule of the princesses Equestria was ruled by dragons the leader which was the Alpha. This is the tale of the Second Alpha.

  • ...
15
 146
 2,986

PreviousChapters Next
The Crystal Empire Part 2

The Crystal Empire got shaken by the laughter of Sombra. His shadowy form ready to make the Crystal Empire his own once again.

"The Empire is under attack." Shining Armor called out as he helped his wife to her hooves. Cadence's horn glew with her blue magic as she cast her dome spell again. The blue dome forming over the Crystal Empire.

"Arrgh!" Sombra roared out in pain as he ran into the new blue dome that Cadence had created her new blue dome. Cadence's dome of blue magic breaking off the shadow pony's red horn. It falling in the confines of the city.

"I have to find the Crystal Heart!" Shining Armor said, with determination in his voice.

"No, you stay here with Cadance. She needs you, Shining Armor. I'll retrieve the Heart." Twilight said to her older brother. Seeing the distressed l look on Cadence's face.

"Let's do this!" Rainbow Dash said to the purple unicorn.

"I've been trying to figure out how I'm meant to pass Celestia's test. Retrieving the Crystal Heart must be it. But there is something else you can do." Twilight said to the cyan pegasus.

"Seriously who uses the invasion of a monster made entirely out of shadow as a test." Theta thought to himself, becoming ever more concerned about Celestia's teaching methods.

"Name it." Rainbow Dash said to Twilight.

"You and the rest of our friends have to keep the faire going." Twilight said to Rainbow. Leaving the cyan pegasus with a confused look on her face.

"What? With that thing moving into the Empire?" Rainbow asked Twilight, pointing her hoof toward the blue dome that surrounded the city.

"The whole purpose of the Crystal Faire is to lift the spirits of the Crystal Ponies, so they can activate the Crystal Heart." Twilight said to Rainbow.

"Yeah, and?'

"If the Crystal Ponies find out that King Sombra is trying to take over the Empire again, their spirits are gonna be anything but lifted. It won't matter if I find the Crystal Heart. They won't be able to make it work. You have to keep them happy here at the Faire." Twilight said to Rainbow, explaining her reasoning.

"Keep the faire going and the Crystal Ponies' spirits high. Done and done!" Rainbow said taking off to keep the faire running.

"Twily, be careful." Shining Armor said to Twilight.

"I will." Twilight said as she took of to find the Crystal Empire.

"So what's the real plan Twilight?" Theta asked Twilight.

"Not to sound like I don't appreciate your help, but this is my mission from Princess Celestia, and she said that I can't get any help." Twilight said to Theta.

"And I've on orders from the Alpha himself to assist you by any means necessary. So if that includes disobeying the orders of a leader of a country that I'm not the citizen of, then so be it." Theta said stopping the purple unicorn. Using logic on Twilight, that she couldn't argue.

"Then what are we waiting for. Let's go find the Crystal Heart." Twilight said, her warm smile returning to her face.

"What about this Crystal Heart?" Sigma said, catching everyone in the room off guard.


"Sigma! What in all of Tartarus are you doing up?" Theta asked his brother.

"What, are you saying that you don't want my help now?" Sigma asked his brother, his voice slightly deeper than it was before.

"No, of course not. It's just you took a hard hit from Sombra." Theta said to Sigma.

"Well I'm perfectly fine. Now can we get back to the matter at claw." Sigma said, Theta taking a step back at his brother sudden shift in personality.

"Um... while the Crystal Heart is an ancient relic of the Crystal Empire that the crystal ponies used to defend the empire against attacks." Twilight said explaining the Crystal Heart to Sigma.

"Ok, do you know where the heart is?" Sigma asked Twilight.

"No we do not, but it must be hidden somewhere in the Crystal Empire." Twilight said to Sigma.

"Ok, do you know what the heart looks like?" Sigma asked Twilight, the purple unicorn's face dropping in disappointment.

"Sadly no, but it can't be that hard to find a heart made entirely out of crystal." Twilight said, trying to liven up the current situation. he irritated look on Sigma's face showing that it had not worked.

"So you're telling me that you know what you are looking for, but you don't even know what the damn thing even looks like." Sigma said to Twilight.

"A... yes." Twilight said cautiously.

"Just what I would expect from ponies. Theta if you need me I'll doing something that might exactly stop that thing out there." Sigma said as he started walking out of the castle.

"Where are you going" Theta called out to his brother.

"I'm going to do what I was brought here to do." Sigma called back.

"And what was that Sig?" Theta said, slightly challenging his brother.

"What you never could... kill." Sigma said as he left the castle, leaving his brother speechless.


"Hey...Theta, are you alight?" Twilight asked Sigma after a few moments of awkward silence.

"Yeah, Sigma just being difficult. So what's the plan?" Theta said doing his best to hide his shock of his brother's actions.

"Well I thought it would best to search the courtyard." Twilight said to Theta.

"Sounds good." Theta said to Twilight as the two headed out of the castle.


"Twilight, wait! I'm coming with you!" Spike said running up to Twilight.

"You can't. I have to retrieve the Crystal Heart by myself." Twilight said to Spike.

"I know. I promise I won't lift a claw to help you. And isn't Theta helping you?" Spike said pointing at the white dragon standing next to Twilight.

"I'm not helping Twilight. I'm following my orders from the Alpha." Theta said answering Twilight's answer for her.

"Not a claw, Spike." Twilight sighed to Spike.

"Where are we going exactly?" Spike said hopping on Twilight's back.

"I think I might know where King Sombra hid the Crystal Heart." Twilight said looking toward the castle.

"The castle?" Spike and Theta asked Twilight at the same time.

"The king would've been counting on the fact that nopony would dare come looking for it here. They'd have been too afraid to even try." Twilight said as she started running toward the crystal castle that towered over the empire.

"I hope you're right." Spike said to Twilight.

"You and me both." Twilight said to Spike.

"Hey, wait up for me!" Theta called after Twilight and Spike, as he ran to catch up to them.


Back in Canterlot, Celestia, Luna, and Alpha were in the throne room of the castle. The roof of the throne removed so that Alpha could engage in conversations unobstructed. Luna was busying pacing up and down the throne, doing her best to not go insane from the tension of the current situation.

"Luna will you stop pacing, everything will be fine." Celestia said to Luna, doing her best to calm her little sister down.

"How can you say that Celestia? We don't know if everything is going to be alright." Luna said to her sister, continuing to anxiously pace up and down the throne room.

"Luna there is no need to worry. I have complete faith in both of my apprentices in this matter." Alpha said down to Luna.

"Do you. Are you using the return of Sombra and the Crystal Empire as nothing as a test for your two apprentices. Or do you truly believe that they can succeed." Luna questioned Alpha. Her being the only pony that would even dare to question the mountain sized dragon.

"Luna, my methods are of no concern to you. All you need to know that I have complete faith in my apprentices will be able to pull off the task that I have given them." Alpha said as the scene switched back to that of the castle made entirely out of crystal that towered over the Crystal Empire.


"Can you tell why we are here again?" Theta asked Twilight as the trio searched the castle, looking for the Crystal Heart.

"We are looking for the Crystal Heart, and this seems like the best to look." Twilight said, as she searched inside a small trashcan made out of crystal. "Shit is everything in this place made out of crystal."

"Well I know that, but do you really do you think that something this... perfect could have been used by Sombra." Theta asked Twilight, putting the unicorn into deep thought.

"If the Empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria. If hatred and fear take hold..." Celestia's words echoed in Twilight's mind.

"Of course!" Twilight exclaimed running into the throne room of the castle.

"What?" Spike said running after the purple unicorn.

"Did you find it?" Theta asked catching up to Twilight.

"No. Because this isn't King Sombra's castle." Twilight said to the two dragons.

"Come again?" Theta said in confusion.

"Well, isn't this where he lived when he was in power?" Spike asked Twilight.

"It is. But it didn't look like this." Twilight said to Spike, as her horn started glow the same black magic that Celestia had showed her earlier that day.

Twilight then fired her black magic at the crystal that hanged above the throne, turning it the same color as the magic. The crystal then cast a large shadow across the throne and as it spread across the floor it magically revealed a spiral staircase that snaked down into darkness. Twilight clopped her hooves in glee as she stared at her hoofy work.

"Whoa. When did you learn to do that?" Spike asked Twilight, staring into the blackness of the staircase.

"That was a little trick Celestia taught me." Twilight said to Spike

"A little." Theta said sarcastically. Making Twilight roll her eyes.


"Come on Twilight, let's go." Theta said as lit a small fire inside his mouth, as started walking down the stairs.

"Why do you get to be in front?" Twilight asked Theta.

"This is why." Theta said as he let out a small orange flame from his mouth.

"Right, you can be in front." Twilight said agreeing with Theta's logic, as she began to follow Theta down the spiral staircase.

Spike began to follow the others, only for Twilight to stop him saying. "You stay here." Twilight said to the purple dragon.

"Huh, if you insist." Spike laughed nervously as he watched his closest friend descend into the darkness.


After a few minutes of hearing nothing coming from either Theta or Twilight, Spike called into the staircase.

"Can either of you guys see what's down there yet?" Spike called into the darkness. His words echoing down the stairs.

"Not yet. I can't even tell how far down this goes!" Twilight called up to Spike. "Can you see anything Theta?" Twilight asked Theta, the white dragon a flight of stairs ahead of Twilight.

"No, I can't see anything." Theta said up to Twilight.

"Spike?" Twilight called up Spike.

"Yeah?" Spike called down to Twilight, his voice echoing down the pitch black corridor.

"Can you see outside?" Twilight called up to Spike.

"It's not good! Cadance's magic must be fading... faster than before!" Spike called down to Twilight. The blue dome that protected the city beginning to flicker. Sombra licking his lips as his dark crystals began to spread across the empire.

"Twilight hop on my back, I can get us down there faster." Theta called up to Twilight. Twilight did as Theta commanded and the dragon raced down the spiral staircase that seemed to go on forever.


It took the pair a few minutes until they finally reached the bottom of the staircase. "About damn time." Theta said, as Twilight hopped off his back.

"A door?" Twilight thought outloud. Staring at a black wooden door with a crystal above it.

"Well there's a door, and doors always lead to something." Theta said to Twilight, getting a small chuckle out of the purple unicorn.

"Hold on, I got this." Twilight said as her horn glew her magenta magic to open the door. The door then whipped around the bottom the staircase.

"What in the... " Twilight said in confusion as she tried to use her magic on the door. "Stop... moving." Twilight said as she used her magic of the black variety on the door, bringing it to a stop.

The door then creaked open, showing a room filled with light.

"Spike! I think we found it!" Twilight called up to Spike.

"That's great!" Spike called down to Twilight.

"Mares first." Theta said to Twilight.

"Oh you're so sweet." Twilight said with a slight tint of sarcasm, as she ran into the room filled with light.

"Well, I try to be." Theta said to himself as he followed Twilight into the room. Neither of them knowing that they were about to have one major mind buck. Especially when it comes to Theta.


"Where am I? Canterlot." Theta said as he walked into the throne room of the Canterlot castle. "What the buck is going on?" Theta said to himself as the ground was shaken by what seemed to be a massive earthquake.

Theta ran over to one of the windows of the throne room to see something that he hadn't expected to see that day.

"Alpha..." Theta said in both shock and awe, as he witnessed his mentor being engage in battle against another giant dragon that he had never seen before.

The dragon Alpha was fighting was only slightly smaller than him. His scales were almost pitch black with only a slight tint of maroon remaining. The giant dragon's wings were much smaller than those of Alpha's and reminded Theta of the ones of a giant beetle.

"You still protect these... these weaklings. They deserve to be nothing more than our slaves." The black dragon roared at Alpha. In between the two titans trading blows. The already recently destroyed city not taking the battle between two creatures the size of mountains very well. The newly constructed building collapsing from the two creatures movement.

"They have the right to choose for themselves." Alpha roared back, as his right claw scraped across the black dragon's muzzle.

The black dragon roared out in pain as stood on his hind legs the ground shaking around him as delivered one massive blow to Alpha. A blow so powerful that it made Alpha go slamming into a large apartment. His giant collapsing the building as he came to rest.

"Delta!" Theta heard Luna cry out, and that was when he noticed that he wasn't alone in the throne room.

Luna along with her sister and Cadence were in the room them all dressed in grows that Theta could've only assumed that they were wearing because of a wedding of some sort. The princesses were also joined by Twilight and the rest of her friends. All of them dressed in extraordinary groans similar to the one's of the princesses. What really caught Theta's attention was the fact that Twilight had what looked like a pair of feathered wings on her back.

"This has got to be just some crazy dream." Theta thought to himself, as his attention shifted back to the massive battle going outside. As a ear piercing roar spread across the city, and the world for that matter.

"Alpha!" Theta cried as he saw his mentor being held in the dragon he was fighting jaws by the neck. The black dragon then threw Alpha toward the castle as if he was nothing more than a chew toy.

"Lookout!" Celestia cried out. As Alpha slammed into the castle, his head slamming into the part of the castle where the throne room was located.

"Delta!" Luna exclaimed running over to her old friend, her teal eyes filling with tears.

"Run." Alpha said to Luna weakly. His neck looking like it had just went through a meat grinder, with his red blood staining the white brick of the castle.

"No! I'm not losing you again!" Luna cried through tears.

"I have been waiting a long time for this." The black dragon said as he slowing stalked toward the Alpha.

"Luna we got to go." Celestia said, placing her hoof on her sister's shoulder.

"Go, I'll be alright." Alpha said to Luna weakly. The open wound in his neck making it difficult to breathe, let alone talk.

The ponies left the throne room, Luna running straight through Theta as if he was nothing more than a ghost.


"You have been abandoned brother." The black dragon said to Alpha, raising up on his hind legs.

"You can kill me Omega, but as long as there are still good alphas in this world you will never win." Alpha said up to his brother.

"I don't to kill you Delta, that's to easy. I want you to go through the exact same pain that I went through." Omega said to his brother as he fired his maroon fire at Alpha.

Alpha fired his own golden alpha fire at Omega and the two flames collided. "You have grown weak in my absence." Omega roared as his fire defeated Alpha's.

"Now to take what was supposed to be fine in the first place." Omega roared at Alpha as he literally sucked the alpha flame out of his brother. Alpha roared out in pain as the command over all dragons went with the fire.

"Finally!" Omega roared as his bug-like erupted in golden flames and spread to full length becoming more dragon than bug like. Omega let his first roar as the first roar as the new alpha, followed by a stream of his maroon that quickly warped into that of one golden flame.

"No..." Theta said in shock, as he stared at the golden flame coming from Omega.

"Alpha you got to get up and fight." Theta said to his mentor not knowing if he could even hear him.

"No Theta, my battle is finished. But yours is yet to begin." Alpha said to Theta.

"What?" Theta asked the giant dragon in front of him. His eyes filling with tears.

"You will be the one that follow in my footpoints." Alpha said weakly to Theta, his breathing slowing.

"But... but I'm not ready." Theta said to Alpha, beginning to choke on his tears.

"You will be. Trust me... you will be." Alpha said as his large eyes closed, as his red scales turned gray, and his massive tail slammed onto the ground as his final breath escaped from his lungs.

"Alpha... no... no you can't die. No that's not possible." Theta said to himself, on the brink of going into hysteria.

"But it is." Theta heard a coming from behind. Theta turned his head to the sound of the voice and took a step back in both surprise and fear at the creature standing in front of him.

"Sigma... what... what happened to you?" Theta asked his brother, whose scales were now pitch black and his eyes burning red.

"Not much... brother... expect, you know, learning my real place in this world." Sigma barked at his petrified brother, his words filled with hate, and bitterness. Sigma then lowered into an attacking position. Almost as if he was a predator stalking his prey.

"Sigma... what are out doing?" Theta asked Sigma, as his brother again to walk around him in a circle.

"You are nothing Theta." Sigma said to Theta ignoring his question.

"What?" Theta said, not believing what his telling him.

"You are a disgrace to the entire dragon race. I would never follow a hatchling into battle then you... brother if you even deserve to share the same blood as I." Sigma said to Theta, his brother's words cutting into like a blade.

"Sig... why are you doing this?" Theta asked his brother.

"Isn't it simple Theta." Sigma said stopping directly in front of his brother. "I am here to show you your true place in this world." Sigma said as Omega giant body stood over the destroyed castle.

"What have you done to my brother!?" Theta roared up to Omega, only getting a slight chuckle out of the newly crowned Alpha.

"Oh, nothing I can assure you. All I have done is show him his true calling in life, and it is time that he return the favor to you." Omega said to Theta.

Before Theta could respond the ground beneath him began to crumble and he fell into a black abyss. Theta hit the bottom of the black hole in a loud thud. "Ugh, what in Tartarus." Theta grunted as he struggled to his feet.

"See you never... brother." Theta heard Sigma call down to him as the hole that he had fallen in from closed up. Leaving him at the bottom of the pitch black cavern, completely alone.

"Maybe I am just as useless as everyone says." Theta said to himself, as he cradled himself up into a fatile position. The distant callings of his name echoing in his head has he drifted off into a nightmare filled sleep. The sounds of Omega destroying all of Canterlot being the only other thing that he heard.


"Theta! Theta! Theta!" Theta heard, snapping him out of his comatosic state.

"What... what happened?" Theta said shaking himself out of the strange vision that he had just encountered.

"You tell me." Twilight said to Theta, a look of concern on her face.

"What do you mean?" Theta asked Twilight."

Well, I came down to see what happened to Twilight you were just standing there." Spike said, Theta finally noticing the smaller dragon's presence.

"Hey, you where in this strange trance, you were mumbling to yourself, you even broke into fit of crying, three times." Twilight added, only adding to Theta's confusion.

"So... it was all a dream?" Theta said more to himself, him remembering every single moment of his strange vision.

"A vision to be more technical. This door must be a doorway to someone greatest fear." Twilight said expressing her theory as to how the magic door worked.

"But it seemed so real." Theta said, still a little sceptical.

"What did you see?" Twilight asked Theta, becoming even more concerned of his actions.

The image of his mentor dying in front of him flashed before his eyes as he remembered his vision. "Nothing... it's not important anyway. Come on we got a Crystal Heart to find." Theta said as he walked into the door again. This time it leading to a white room with another set of spiral staircase that ascend to the heavens.

"You've got to be bucking kidding me." Theta thought out loud, as stared up the staircase that seemed to gone on forever.


After about ten minutes of walking up the staircase that seemed to go on forever. Spike said panting.

"What if this is just more of his magic? He makes a door that leads to your worst nightmare. Why not a staircase that goes on forever?" Spike said to Spike, him doing to climb the insane amount of stairs. Spike's words brought Twilight into deep thought.

"What are you thinking Twi?" Theta asked Twilight.

"Theta can I climb your back again?" Twilight asked Theta, who simply nodded. Not really understanding what Twilight was meaning, but decided it to be best not to question.

"Come on Spike hop on." Twilight said to Spike, the purple dragon following her commands and climbing onto Theta's bareback. One of the few benefits of not having a pair of wings.

Twilight's horn then glowed with her magenta as the spell she was casting lifted Theta off of the ground. "Twilight what are you doing?" Theta asked the purple unicorn resting on top of him.

"Just wait." Twilight said simply, as the ground of them seemed to switch, and trio began to slide down the bottom of the staircase above them. Them going further up the staircase while technically going down.


Back with Twilight's friends, they were doing their best to keep the faire, but despite their efforts they were simply running out of time.

"Excuse me, pardon me..." Rarity laughed as she whispered to Applejack. "I am running out of weaving materials for the traditional crafts booth! I just made a hat out of three pieces of hay and a drinking straw!" Rarity said to the cowpony, pointing at the crystal pony with the hat in question. "I made it work. But still!" Rarity said shifting her attention back to the matter at hoof.

"We gotta do everything we can to keep this thing goin'. The Princess isn't lookin' so good. I can't imagine her magic is gonna last much longer. It's gonna be fine. These ponies are gonna power up that Crystal Heart when the time comes, and we won't be needin' her magic anyway." Applejack said, trying keep some optimism.

"I sure hope that time comes soon! Even I can't keep this party going forever!" Pinkie said dressed in a clown outfit, juggling flugelhorns, on top of a large ball. She then slipped on the ball and fell to the ground, one of the horns landing on her head.

The ball Pinkie was on then rolled and hit the covered fake Crystal Heart, making it fall and break off the section the carved into the shape of a heart.

"This isn't the Crystal Heart." One of the crystal ponies said, pointing out their forgery.

"Oh, of course it isn't. The real one is..." Rarity laughed nervously.

"On its way!" Applejack said, finishing for Rarity.

"I was going to say 'being polished' to buy us some more time?" Rarity whispered to Applejack, the tension of the situation only growing.

"Oops." Applejack said, which was followed by the sound of laughter coming from Sombra, as his black crystals continued to spread across the empire. The blue dome protecting the empire from Sombra himself weakening after every passing second.

Sombra's laughter was then followed by the distressed cries of the crystal ponies, as their former ruler was about ready to make the Crystal Empire his once again.

"It's... It's him!" One of the crystal ponies cried out.

"Good, I'm been waiting for a rematch." Sigma said, his eyes beginning to turn a greenish-yellow.


"Whoooooahahaha! I actually studied gravity spells, thinking it might be on my test! Turns out I was prepared for this! Wooo-hooo!" Twilight exclaimed happily as the trio continued to slip down (or up) the stairs, getting closer and closer to their goals.

"That's great Twilight, but do you think you can change gravity back." Theta said as his claws were currently implanted into what would be the ceiling of the top platform of the castle.

"Right." Twilight said as she reversed her spell. Her and Spike falling to the ground in a loud. Theta however simply let go of the ceiling and dropped to the ground, landing on his feet.

The trio stared at the small blue heart made out of crystal that hovered in the middle of the open room. The icy cold wind blowing around them.

"Go Twi, I got you covered." Theta said, as he lit a small orange fire in his mouth.

Twilight slowing approached the hovering Crystal Heart, her purple eyes widening as stepped on the large circle in the middle of the tower. The circle turned black, signaling to Sombra that somepony had found the Crystal Heart.

Sombra growled has he used his newly restored horn to cast a spell a trap in the circle. Trapping Twilight inside the circle, surrounded by large black crystal.


"The Heart... Where's the Crystal..." Twilight began, searching frantically for the only thing that could defeat Sombra.

"Here! It rolled over to me when you dropped it!" Spike said to Twilight, the blue heart of crystal a few feet from the purple dragon.

"Don't move!" Twilight called out to Spike.

"You can move, just not toward me! How could I have been so foolish? I was just so eager to get it! Then when I saw what was going on outside, I..." Twilight said as she used her magic to teleport out of the her crystal prison. Only for a spell created by Sombra to teleport her back into the prison.

"You have to get out of there, Twilight!" Spike said to Twilight.

"Hang on Twi." Theta said as he fire a blast of his orange fire at the black crystals. His fire having no effect on the crystal that surround the purple unicorn. "Damnit!" Theta grunted as Sombra's black crystals continued to spread throughout the castle.

"King Sombra is already attacking the Empire. He could reach the Crystal Ponies at any moment... reach Princess Cadance, my brother, my friends. There may not be enough time for me to find a way to escape." Twilight said to herself as she came to a revelation.

"You have to be the one to bring the Crystal Heart to the Faire." Twilight said to Spike.

"Me? But Twilight..." Spike began to protest.

"Go!" Twilight interrupted Spike.

"But..." Spike began to say to Twilight.

"Goooo!" Twilight ordered at Spike.

"Come on Spike we got to get out of here" Theta said to Spike, the purple climbing onto his back, the Crystal Heart held in Spike's claws.

The two dragons then jumped out of the opened tower and started sliding down the black spikes that continued to spread across the castle. Theta's black claws digging into the crystals.


"Now, don't y'all worry your pretty, little Crystal heads! The real Crystal Heart will be here any second!" Applejack said down to the crystal ponies, doing her best to calm the crowd that was amassing at the center of the city.

"I don't know if they believe you..." Rarity whispered to Applejack.

"Don't know if I believe me..." Applejack whispered back.

The blue dome surrounding the city then gave out, relieving the red sky that covered the city, leaving the city completely unprotected against Sombra.

"He's back! I can't take it!" One of the crystal ponies cried out as she ran off. Running into one of Sombra's black crystals. Sombra only a few inches from her face.

"Was she about to commit suicide."

"King Sombra..." The crystal said to her former King, petrified as to what might happen.

"My crystal slaves..." Sombra said in a sadistic tone. All of the crystal ponies being driven into a state of panic.

"Hey! Up here!" Spike called down to the other ponies.

"Spike?" Rarity called up the purple dragon, the Crystal Heart still held in his claws

"I got the Crystal Heart!" Spike called down to them.

"That is mine!" Sombra growled, his shadow form diving into the ground. His dark crystal spreading through the Empire.

"Hold on Spike." Theta said to the dragon clanging to his back, as the crystals around them started to crumble. Causing them to fall. The Crystal Heart falling out of Spike's grasp.

Sombra regaining his pony form, as his black crystals soared into the heavens. Sombra only inches from victory.

"Spikey-wikey!" Rarity called up to Spike as the two dragons fell. Theta wrapping Spike in a protective cradle as the two slammed into the ground.

"Theta!" Sigma said running over to his brother.

"I'm ok Sig." Theta said as he struggled to his feet.

"Finally..." Sombra licked his lips, as the Crystal Heart fall toward him.

The weakened Cadence unfurled her wings and launched into the skies with help from Shining Armor. Cadence grabbed the Crystal Heart with her blue magic flying toward the ground.

"Behold the Crystal Princess!" One of the crystal ponies called out talking about Cadence.

Cadence flew to the ground, the Heart still held in her magic, smashing the fake heart under her hooves. Her cutie mark, which showed the Crystal Heart

"The Crystal Heart has returned. Use the light and love within you to ensure that King Sombra does not." Cadence addressed the crystal ponies. Her placing the Crystal Heart back in its holder in the middle of the city.

The crystal ponies than all used the love deep inside them to power the heart. Their love creating a massive shockwave the turned all of the ponies' coats and dragons' scales to a shining crystal.

When the shockwave it Sombra the power of the ponies' love was to much for him, destroying him. The Heart then powered up completely and fired its magic into the air, spreading its power all across the world. The magical rays coming from the Crystal Empire in all the colors of the rainbow.

"Ah... good job Spike." Twilight said admiring her closest friend's handywork.


Over in Canterlot, the magic from the Crystal Empire showed over the horizon.

"I told you they could do it." Alpha said down to Luna. Him getting a playful glare from his old friend.


"I do so wish it was permanent. Did you see how my mane just absolutely sparkled?" Rarity said as the six ponies were about ready to leave the Crystal Empire.

"But... good things are better when they're a rarity." Applejack said the disappointed unicorn, using a bad pun.

"Aww." Rarity said, before bursting into a small fit of laughter.

"Everything's gonna be okay. You've gotta stop saving my rump like this. It's starting to get embarrassing." Shining Armor said his younger sister, trying to cheer her up.

"Wasn't me who saved you in the end. It was Spike and Theta." Twilight admitted.

"It's just a test. Maybe she'll let you retake it." Shining Armor said to Twilight.

"I don't think she's gonna give me a new test." Twilight said, not believing that she would get a good 'score' on her latest test.

"Are you sure that you are alright?" Sigma asked his brother, Theta still limping a little bit.

"Yeah I'm fine." Theta said, shrugging off the fact that he feel almost fifty feet onto a crystal floor. "A better is are you alright?" Theta said directly the same question back to Sigma. Theta intrigued by his brother's rapid change in scale and eye color.

"I'm fine Theta." Sigma snapped at Theta. Before walking off, looking like he was about to fight something.

"What has gotten into you brother." Theta thought to himself. The image of his own brother betraying him flashing into his mind. "No! That would never happen. It can't." Theta thought to himself, forcing his greatest fear out his mind.


"Wow!" Zulu said to himself, after watching the almost literal fireworks that had just gone down in the Crystal Empire.

"So there is not just one apprentice to the Alpha, but two. Hmm... Omega needs to learn of this right away." Zulu said to himself as he dissolved into the shadows. Heading back to the Changeling Hive.


"Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight..." Spike said to himself, as he anxiously awaited outside the Canterlot castle.

"It's beautiful." Celestia said, admiring the newest stained glass window in the throne room of the castle.

The painting depicting Spike on the back of Theta, holding the Crystal Heart in his claws. The magic from the Heart spreading all across the world.

"I wish it had been me who ultimately made it so. But it wasn't." Twilight admitted to her mentor, disappointed in herself.

"Twilight, as I understand it, Spike brought Princess Cadance the Crystal Heart because you weren't sure how quickly you could find a way to escape the tower. You weren't willing to risk the future of the citizens of the Crystal Empire in an effort to guarantee your own. Far better that I have a student who understands the meaning of self-sacrifice than one who only looks out for her own best interests." Celestia said to Twilight, explaining her reasoning.

"Does this mean...?" Twilight began to say as we switched back to Spike. "Because reasons."

"She's totally gonna lose it! breathing heavily Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight...!" Spike said to himself, as Twilight walked out of the castle. A neutral expression adorning her face.

"I passed!" Twilight exclaimed, earning a hug from Spike. The rest of her friends erupting into cheers.

"You were prepared to do your best

Had what it takes to pass the test

All those doubts you can dismiss

Turns out you were" Rarity began to sing.

"Prepared for this!" All of Twilight's friends joined in.

"You clearly have just what it takes" Applejack sang.

"To pass a test with such high stakes" Pinkie Pie added.

"We knew for sure you would prevail"

"Since when does Twilight Sparkle ever fail?" Rainbow added.

"cough... Swarm of the Century... cough."

"All those doubts that you can dismiss

Trust yourself and you cannot miss" All of Twilight's friends sang.

"Turns out you were" Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy sang.

"Turns out I was" Twilight added.

"Turns out you were" Rarity, Rainbow, and Spike sang.

"Turns out I was" Twilight added.

"Turns out you were" Rarity sang

"Prepared for this!" All of Twilight's friends sang, as they all entered a train heading back to Ponyville.

"Yeah, I knew everything was going to be fine." Spike laughed nervously as he passed out on Twilight's back.


Over on a balcony of the Canterlot castle Celestia, Luna, and Alpha watched the train that held the seven heroes in deep interest. Luna used her magic to materialize a spiral bound notebook. The two alicorn's sharing a knowing look, as Celestia spoke to her sister.

"She is ready." Celestia said to Luna, who nodded in agreement. Convinced that Twilight was ready for the next step in her journey.

"What about you Delta, how are your apprentices doing?" Luna asked her old friend.

"I know that one is ready, the other however, I feat of what might happen in the recent future." Alpha said simply as he opened his massive wings to fly to the Dragon Empire.


Zulu warped out of the shadows of the cavern inside the Changeling Hive. Omega lying asleep only a few feet from his position.

Zulu cleared his throat, immediately catching Omega's attention. His massive body jerking to life.

"What is it that you want." Omega's voice boomed down on Zulu, the giant dragon not pleased that his rest was being disturbed.

"My apologizes, but I have urgent news from the Crystal Empire." Zulu said, striking Omega's attention even more.

"Yes, come out with it then." Omega said, slamming his right claw on the ground. Picking up a mound of brown dust.

"I am here to inform you that unfortunately Sombra was defeated, and based on what I saw. He was most likely destroyed by this thing that I heard the citizens of the Crystal Empire call the Crystal Heart." Zulu explained, Omega keeping an impossible to read expression.

"Is that all?" Omega said irritated.

"Not quite... I did learn of two other alpha dragons." Zulu said not knowing how Omega would react.

"What?!" Omega roared. "What do you know these two alphas that you speak of?" Omega asked Zulu in geniune interest.

"Well all I know is that their names are Theta and Sigma." Zulu said to Omega.

"What do they look like?" Omega asked Zulu.

"Well... the one by the name of Theta ha scales that are snow white. While the other by the name of Sigma has dark gray scales." Zulu said not knowing the importance of the scales of an alpha dragon.

"What are their eye color?" Omega asked Zulu.

"The one by the name of Theta has green eyes, while the one by name of Sigma has yellow the time I saw him." Zulu answered Omega's question. Putting the giant dragon into deep thought.

"Hmm..." Omega thought to himself, as a new, even better plan came to his mind. "Yes that will do most nicely." Omega said, a devilish grin appearing on his face.

"What will do nicely?" Zulu said, beginning to slowly retreat backwards.

"Relax Zulu, soon we might gain another into our mitts."

Author's Note:

Damn! I just killed off Alpha, made Omega the new Alpha, and turn Sigma into the dragon version of Anakin Skywalker all in the same vision, and then later I killed off Sombra, or did I. Yes I did. Shit, I think I really need to see a therapist after this, or two, maybe three. I think three should be good.

In case you are wondering Theta's vision of Alpha, Omega, and Sigma will become important later. Oh boy, I can't wait to write the battle between Alpha and Omega.

So Omega knows about Theta and Sigma. How will this play into his plans for his brother. Join me again next week.

I cut out most of the scenes including the rest of the Mane Six as they only drove to make the chapter longer than it actually needed to be.

Winter Break is over, sadly. So I will be going back to shuffling between high school and writing this story. I will do my best to maintain my one chapter per week average. But with four A.P. classes closing on third term and the A.P. test for all of them, I doubt it.

PreviousChapters Next