• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,969 Views, 146 Comments

The Tale of the Second Alpha - Bergen



Equestria, the vast land ruled by ponies. But this was not always the case. Long before the rule of the princesses Equestria was ruled by dragons the leader which was the Alpha. This is the tale of the Second Alpha.

  • ...
15
 146
 2,969

Chapters Next
Prologue

The great and vast land of Equestria. Now ruled by Princess Celestia and until about one thousand years ago her little sister Luna. But it was not always this way. Long ago even before ponies first stepped hoof in land that would earn the name of Equestria was originally a realm ruled by dragons, and the leader of them all was known simply as the Alpha. Whose real name as since been lost to history.

A massive dragon the size of a mountain with golden scales that glowed brighter than the sun, and were stronger than steel. His claws were the size of spears and as sharp as diamonds. His fire burned in a pure white flame burning anything in it's path. His wings were as stronger as over one thousand full grown pegasi warriors, being to lift his almost twelve hundred ton body off the ground, and capable of flying at over three hundred miles per hour. Though the Alpha size and power he ruled over the his kingdom maintaining peace throughout his role for centuries. During this time the Alpha thought his ways to two young apprentices. This two dragons were smaller than the Alpha, and like the rest of their rare species did not have wings.

You see the species of dragon they belonged to was called the Alphaus Dragonus Omegaus, or just Alpha for short. A very rare and very large dragon species that was born without wings.

Unlike most other dragons that are born with wings the Alphas most earn them. How do they earn their wings you many ask. An Alpha earns its wings when an elder Alpha gives an younger one the ability that makes the Alphas special. You see Alphas are the only known species of dragons that have the ability to control other smaller dragons. Once a Alpha gains this ability they don't just earn their wings as a symbol of being the Alpha, but they also become much larger than a Alpha could ever naturally become.

Anyway the two apprentices of the Alpha learned all they could from their mentor and as quickly as they could. The apprentices were young twin alphas that had been the Alpha's apprentices since their births.

About two thousand years ago as a way to recolonize after their home was destroyed by a massive blizzard three tribes of ponies, the earth, pegasi, and the unicorns wandered into Equestria seeking to colonize it.

The Earth Ponies were lead by the hyperactive Chancellor Puddinghead and assisted by her trusted secretary Smart Cookie, the Pegasi were lead by the war hungry Commander Hurricane and her shy subordinate Private Pansy, and finally the Unicorns were led by the glamor filled daughter of the unicorn king, Princess Platinum along with her adviser Clover the Clever.

The leaders along with their assistances traveled from their original home arriving in Equestria and all at the same time. Each of the respective tribes were set in a state of awe at the newly discovered land. Each one claiming the newly discovered land as their own, of course unaware that the land had already been claimed and ruled over by dragons for centuries

This three tribes didn't get along you see and the leaders of their respective factions instantly began fighting over who had claimed the newly discovered country.

Anyway, unknown to the tribes their bickering had summoned a herd of windigos, winter spirits that feed off the distrust and hatred of others. The same herd of windigos that had destroyed their original settlement not long before hoof.

The misplaced hatred between the three leaders was so powerful that the windigos were able to bring Equestria into it's own winter similar to that which destroyed the original home the three tribes.

This act of eternal winter didn't come unnoticed by the Alpha. He gathered his two apprentices and he traveled to the small cave that the three tribes took shelter in from the cold.

The animosity between the three leaders grew to a point that they were all frozen in block of ice. Their outsides literally showing the coldness of their hearts from the inside. The hatred caused by the leaders was so powerful that it was able to keep forming even beginning to trap the leaders' assistances.

Contrary to pony folklore just before the ice could cover the other three the Alpha arrived at the cave and ripped off the top. The ponies and windigos alike stared up at the massive golden dragon in awe and fear.

The windigos were expressly fearful since the fire from a dragon doesn't mix with the icy bodies of a windigo, not to mention fire from a dragon the size of a mountain.

The Alpha let out a single blast of his white fire burning the windigos into nothing but puddles of water. Without the windigos to keep the ice growing it melted quickly. The leaders of the three tribes quickly escaped from their icy prisons to look up and see a mountain sized dragon staring down at them.

Commander Hurricane still a little hot blooded flew up to the Alpha and said. "Come to fight us have you?" The Alpha just made a slight smirk and huffed creating a cloud of smoke engulfing the Pegasus.

"No he saved us." Private Pansy called up to her commanding officer. Commander Hurricane then backed down hearing her private's words.

The three tribes of ponies migrated to the vast land and ruled under the Alpha's rule much like the dragons before them and peace was true throughout the land.

The Alpha ruled over all of the land of both dragons and ponies, even becoming good friends with the powerful unicorn known as Starswirl the Bearded. Until two young ponies were born some fifteen hundred years ago. The two ponies were unlike any other before them. These two ponies, one a few decades that the other. Had the unique ability to have the strength of a earth pony, the powerful wings of a Pegasus, and the magical horn of a unicorn.

These two ponies were known as Alicorns. The eldest went by the name of Celestia and the younger by Luna. The eldest had the ability to rise the sun and bring forth the day with ease without the help from follow unicorns. The younger had the ability to rise the moon and stars to bring forth night with the same ease as her sister. The two taking over the duties of the unicorns that had raised and lowered the sun for longer than time itself.

The two sisters grew popular amongst the ponies for their vast powers and their shared ability to lead the ponies. The Alpha growing older and against the advice of one of his apprentices relinquished his command over the ponies to the two sisters. While he still stayed in command of his follow dragons the two sisters were left to rule over the three ponies species in a castle inside of the Forever Free Forest.

Peace continued throughout the land of Equestria until the Alpha grew the a point in his life were his internal fire was going out and he had to pass off his Alpha status to one of his apprentices. A moment that would change Equestria's landscape forever, literally.

Chapters Next