• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,986 Views, 146 Comments

The Tale of the Second Alpha - Bergen



Equestria, the vast land ruled by ponies. But this was not always the case. Long before the rule of the princesses Equestria was ruled by dragons the leader which was the Alpha. This is the tale of the Second Alpha.

  • ...
15
 146
 2,986

PreviousChapters Next
A Fright at Nightmare Night

About a month has passed since the return and defeat of Discord, and all of Equestria was getting ready for one of the largest celebrations of the year. Nightmare Night, a holiday where ponies dress up in costumes and trotted around from house to house getting candy. Basically, it's the pony version of Halloween. Anyway, Luna was curious of this certain holiday and asked her sister about the day before she was supposed to travel to Ponyville to check on their celebration.

"Dearest elder sister, we wanted to ask thou a question." Luna said to her older sister, who was sitting on her pink puffy bed as she read through multiple letters from the 'king' of the Dragon Empire. The so-called king changed at three times over the course of a single year, either from the leader being killed by their successor, or they stepped down because they were just a bad king.

It pained Celestia to know why the dragon species' leadership had never been the same since the Alpha began his fifteen hundred year slumber. As only an Alpha dragon is able to command other dragons with the so-called, Call of the Alpha.

Celestia so busy with her letters that it took her a few seconds to realize that she was being spoken to, yet alone that her younger sister was standing only a few feet from her hooves. "Hmm..." Celestia said dumbly as she looked up from letters to see her younger sister staring at her. Realization hit Celestia like a sledgehammer and her words fumbled out her mouth. "Yes... Luna... what is it that you want to speak to me about." Celestia, making Luna cover a small giggle with her hoof.

"Um... We were just wondering how this... Nightmare Night Festival, we believe it is called, worked." Luna said and it made Celestia's pink eyes widen as she remembered that Nightmare Night was tomorrow.

"Um well..." Celestia began standing up tapping her chin with her hoof. Going into deep thought, as she tried to think of a way to best describe the strange holiday.

Celestia then went on to explain the traditions of the holiday. Luna's eyes widening as she heard a holiday completely dedicated to her night. "This Nightmare Night Festival that thouest describes pleases us." Luna said as she left her sister's room, trotting away happily.

Celestia watched her sister cheerfully trot away and lied back down on her feather bed, and went back to reading the large stack of papers. Most of them were actually the same. Celestia thought of just having one of her trusted advisors go through all of the repetitive papers until one from the Dragon Empire caught her attention. The letters were from the same young dragon by the name of Theta.

The unique name caught the princess' attention. Celestia's attention shifted as she saw one of the castle's servants, a young mare with light blue coat and a pink mane, pass by her room, and she called out to the servant. "Sugarlily, would you do me a favor." Celestia called out to the young mare.

"Yes, what can I do for you, your majesty?" The young servant said trotting backward.

"Would go and get a glass of tea, my usual." Celestia said with a smile.

"Of course your majesty." Sugarlily said trotting away to fetch the princess' order.

"Ok, let's see what you got to tell me Theta." Celestia said to herself as she began to read the scroll.


The next night, on Nightmare Night. The citizens of Ponyville were busy enjoying the holiday. Inside the library of Ponyville Spike, who simply dressed as a purple dragon, was busy pacing back and forth waiting for Twilight to get into her costume. "Ugh, come on, Twilight. We're gonna be late for the Nightmare Night festival." Spike called up to Twilight's room. The purple unicorn then walked out wearing her costume, a blue robe with star decals stitched into the fabric. The costume also had three gold bells on the bottom of the robe. She wore a blue wizard hat of the same design, she also wore a fake beard.

"Huh? Are you that one kooky grandpa from Ponyville Retirement Village?" Spike said, scratching the top of his head in confusion.

"I'm Starswirl the Bearded!" Twilight said to her assistant, surprise that he didn't know who she was supposed to be. "Father of the anamorphic spell? Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" Twilight said to Spike.

"Uh.." Spike began to say, awkwardness coming onto the house. The awkwardness has silenced when Spike heard a knock on the door. "That sounds important." Spike said as he opened the door of the library, to reveal a group of young foals. All in different costumes.

"Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!" The foals all chanted at the same time.

"Hi, everypony. Great costumes. Happy Nightmare Night, Granny Smith." Twilight said to the young foals, and Granny Smith who was chaperoning the young foals.

"I should have been asleep five hours ago." The elderly pony said to the purple unicorn.

"Pipsqueak the pirate, at your service, me lady. It's my very first Nightmare Night." A small spotted colt with Trottingham accent in a pirate costume said to Twilight.

"Since you moved here from Trottingham?" Twilight asked Pipsqueak.

"No, my very first Nightmare Night ever!" Pipsqueak exclaimed in clarification of his original statement.

"Enough chitchat! Time is candy!" Pinkie, dressed in a chicken costume, said looking for so more candy.

"Pinkie Pie, aren't you a little old for this?" Twilight asked her adult friend.

"Too old for free candy? chicken squawk Never." Pinkie squawked as if her friend had just spoken blasphemy.

"Do you like it?" Twilight asked her friend, talking about her Starswirl the Bearded costume.

"Yeah! Great costume, Twilight! You make a fantastic weirdo clown!" Pinkie said to her friend. As the pink pony and the young foals raced off, running Ponyville hunting for more candy.

"A clown?!?!" Twilight exclaimed at Pinkie's statement. Spike covering his mouth to supress a giggle as he turned off the light of the library that was built into a tree. Spike closing the door behind him as they left the oak tree that had been turned into a library.

"Look at the borders on these robes. These are hoof-stitched!" Twilight said, holding up her blue rope, to prove her point.

"It's a great costume! Huh! Grandpa!" Spike said closing and locking the door to the library, as the two of them headed toward town square for the festivities.


"Star Swirl the Bearded is only the most important conjurer of the pre-classical era." Twilight vented to herself, as she and Spike traveled to the festival's fairgrounds.

"Yeah! Whoo-hoo!" A group of ponies cheered in the background as Twilight continued her rant.

"He created more than two hundred spells! He even has a shelf in the Canterlot library of magic named after him. Maybe I should start up a pony group to teach ponies about history. I bet everypony would love it! Don't you, Spike?" Twilight continued, asking her number one assistant. Who was currently busy digging into a pile of candy larger than himself.

"Mm-hmm! eating sounds I love it!" Spike said in between bites of his sugary treats.

"Hey look, we're here already! Should we get something to eat?" Twilight asked Spike as the pair reached the grounds, only to get a loud burp in response.

"Twilight, Twilight! Look at our haul! Ah! Can you believe it? And then, we went to Cheerilee's house and got a bunch more goodies. Didn't we, Pip?" Pinkie said in her usual hyperactive tone, a group of foals in tow, said running up to Twilight showing her a large bag filled to the brim with candy.

"Sure did!" Pipsqueak said as a black storm cloud formed behind him. A trouble making pegasus resting the cloud ready to play a prank on the group of ponies.

"And then, we had to stop and wait for Granny Smith, and..." Pinkie began to say only for her to get stuck in the flank by lightning. Causing the pink pony to squawk like a chicken as she, and the rest of the foals run off screaming.

This was shortly followed by maniacal laughter coming from the young Pegasus that had just pulled the prank.

"Rainbow Dash, that wasn't very nice." Twilight said up to the cyan pegasus, who was dressed in a Shadowbolts costume.

"Lighten up, old-timer. This is the best night of the year for pranks!" Rainbow said from her storm cloud, down to Twilight.

"Look what you did to Spike!" Twilight said pointing at the purple dragon. Who was currently on the ground choking on his candy.

"It's all in good fun. Oh! Oh! There's another group over there!" Rainbow said before flying off to play the same prank on another group of ponies.

The prank was a success with ponies screaming as Rainbow zapped them with her lightning. Which was again followed by maniacal laughter from Rainbow.


"Happy Nightmare Night, Applejack!" Twilight said as she met up with her friend. Who was dressed up as a scarecrow.

"Howdy, Spike! Hey, Twilight! Nice costume." Applejack said back to her two friends.

Twilight began to answer, only for Spike to cut her off saying. "Thanks! I'm a dragon." Spike said, pointing out the obviousness of his costume.

"She means me, Spike." Twilight said to her assistant, sending a glare his way.

"With that beard, I reckon you're some sorta country music singer." Applejack said which Twilight responded with an annoyed groan as another pony didn't understand her costume.

"While y'all are here, ya' feel like bobbin' for an apple?" Applejack said pointing to a tub filled with water, only for a gray pegasus with unsnicked eyes popped her head out of the tub with the drain in her mouth. Making the water all flow out of the tub.

Twilight and Spike just laughed it off as they continued toward town square, as the mayor was about to began her speech about the history of Nightmare Night.


There was cheers and applause as the mayor, dressed in a clown costume, walked up to a podium to give her speech.

"Thank you, everypony, and welcome to the Nightmare Night festival!" The mayor said being her speech. Her words were followed by another round of cheering and applause.

"Now, all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of... Nightmare Moon!" The Mayor said, saying Nightmare Moon in a ghostly-like voice.

"Spooky voice might work better if she wasn't dressed like that." Spike whispered to Twilight, making the purple unicorn giggle in response.

"Follow me, and very soon, you'll hear the tale of Nightmare Moon." The zebra of the town, Zecora, dressed in a witch costume, with fake spiders stuck in her white mane. The young ponies all followed Zecora to the edge of the Everfree Forest to a statue of Nightmare Moon, as the zebra told the 'legend'.

"Listen close, my little dears, I'll tell you where you got your fears of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary. (blows) Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary." Zecora began her tale of Nightmare Moon, her words in her normal rhyming style. As she did so she blew green dust her hoof.

All the ponies gasped as the green smoke materialized into a green version of Nightmare Moon. The green version of Nightmare dived toward the ground, turning back into a cloud of green smoke. "Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves from her searching eyes." Zecora continued, as a face with sharp teeth appeared out the smoke.

The foals screamed in response as Zecora stepped out of the smoke. Her being the one that made the face. Pipsqueak ran up to the statue of Nightmare Moon in fear, as Zecora continued.

"But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: to gobble up ponies in one quick swing!" Zecora continued, as Pipsqueak back up into Pinkie Pie. Whose head was stuck in the ground. The two ponies screamed as they jumped up and ran in opposite directions.

"Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!" Zecora said creating another Nightmare Moon with her smoke.

"Uh, Miss Zecora, if we wear costumes to hide from Nightmare Moon, so she won't gobble us up, how come we still need to give her some of our candy?" Pipsqueak asked Zecora, tugging on the zebra's costume.

"A perfect question, my little friend. For Nightmare Moon you must not offend. [blows] Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!" Zecora said creating another green smoke Nightmare Moon, which jumped on the group of foals in a motion of trying to eat them.

"Everypony! Just dump some candy and get out of here!" Pinkie screamed as she, and the foals, dumped some of their candy in front of the statue.

Just as the ponies did so the winds and clouds began to circle. All the ponies all looked up to the sky to see a black chariot pulled by two bat-winged ponies flying across the sky. The chariot hovered above the group of ponies for a few, giving Pinkie enough time to scream.

"It's Nightmare Moon run!" Pinkie screamed as the group of ponies, excluding Twilight, all galloped away from the black chariot.

Lightning stuck over the night sky. Revealing a malicious grin adorning hooded figure in the chariot.


The hooded figure floated down to the ground and flipped over its black hood to reveal the little sister of Princess Celestia and the Princess of the Night, Princess Luna. All of the town ponies bowed in fear of the dark blue alicorn as she approached. Her black hoodie turning into bats as they flew away.

"Princess Luna!" Twilight began to say standing up, only for Spike to tug on her costume, forcing her back to the ground.

"CITIZENS OF PONYVILLE WE HAVE GRACE YOUR TINY VILLAGE WITH OUR PRESENCE, SO THAT YOU MIGHT BEHOLD THE REAL PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT! A CREATURE OF NIGHTMARE NOT MORE, BUT INSTEAD A PONY THAT REQUESTS YOUR LOVE AND ADMIRATION! TOGETHER WE SHALL CHANGE THIS DREADFUL CELEBRATION INTO A BRIGHT AND GLORIOUS FEAST!" Luna said in a booming voice addressing the large group of ponies. Perfectly demonstrating the great power of caps lock.

The wind created from her voice literally pushing ponies back. As lightning and thunder crashing overhead.

"Did you hear that, everypony? Nightmare Moon says she's gonna feast on us all!" Pinkie said, and her young foals all joined in a fit of screaming as they ran from the scene. Leaving a dumbfounded look on Luna's face.

"What? No, children, no! You no longer have reason to fear us! Screams of delight is what your princess desires, not screams of terror!" Luna said in confusion, only for her to stomp her hoof with enough force to shatter part of the cobblestone street. "Madame Mayor, thy Princess of the Night hath arrived." Luna said pointing her hoof at the cowering mayor.

"What is the matter with you? Very well, then. Be that way. We won't even bother with the traditional royal farewell." Luna said pointing her hoof at another pony, only for her to also cower in fear. Luna then turned and trotted away from the scene. A single thought rushing through her head. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

"I'm gonna go talk to her." Twilight said standing up, as the festival began to return back to normal.

"You can't talk to her! She's Nightmare Moon!" Spike said up to the purple unicorn, the same amount of fear in his voice that was shared by 90% of the town's population

"No, she's not. I saw the Elements of Harmony change her back to good. But it seems like she's having some trouble adjusting after being gone for a thousand years." Twilight said to Spike, as she trotted off to find the Princess of the Night.


Twilight followed the blue alicorn all the way back to the statue of Nightmare Moon. Only to see the thousand-year-old pony leaving a small piece of candy as an offering, to herself technically.

"Princess Luna?" Twilight began, catching the attention of the Princess of the Night. Making her stand up to meet the pony addressing her. "Hi, my name is..." Twilight began to say, only for Luna to cut her off.

"Star Swirl the Bearded. Commendable costume! Thou even got the bells right." Luna said, being the only pony to know who Twilight was being for Nightmare Night.

"Thank you! Finally! Somepony who gets my costume!" Twilight said in response, happy to have somepony to recognize her costume. The purple unicorn then looked a the neutral face that was adorning the blue alicorn's face. "Uh, I just came to welcome you to our celebration! My actual name is..." Twilight said beginning to reintroduce herself to the Princess of the Night. Only for Luna to cut her off again.

"Twilight Sparkle." Luna said remembering the pony that had freed her from her literal nightmare of a prison. "It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us and took away our dark powers!" Luna said in a booming voice, as she lifted into the night sky. The clouds circling around her as she spoke. the wind powerful enough to push Twilight back a few feet.

"And that was a good thing, right?" Twilight asked Luna cautiously, as she landed back on the ground.

"But of course. We could not be happier. Is that not clear?" Luna said to Twilight, her voice back to its normal volume well still be louder and more powerful than any other pony.

"Well, you kinda sound like you're yelling at me."Twilight responded back to Luna.

"But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak using the royal "we", and to use... THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!" Luna said, her voice returning to the Royal Canterlot voice in the middle of her speech.

"You know, that might explain why your appearance was met with... mixed results. I think if you just changed your approach a bit, you might be met with a warmer reception." Twilight said to the blue alicorn, readjusting her fake beard.

"CHANGE OUR APPROACH!" Luna's voice boomed, as she spoke only a few inches from the unicorn's face.

"Lower the volume." Twilight said quietly.

"Ohhh. We have been locked away for a thousand years. We are... not sure we can." Luna said, her voice returning to normal.


"Don't worry, Princess. Fluttershy can give you some great pointers. She's delicate and demure with the sweetest little voice." Twilight said to Luna as the two ponies arrived at Fluttershy's cottage at the edge of town. Twilight then knocked on the wooden door and got a reaction from the yellow Pegasus that she wasn't expecting.

"Go away! No candy here! Visitors not welcome on Nightmare Night!" Fluttershy yelled through the closed door, with enough volume to rival even Princess Luna's Canterlot voice.

"Fluttershy, it's me, Twilight!" Twilight nervously laughed, as she looked over to see the neutral expression adorning the Princess' face.

"It is you. Ah, and Nightmare Moon." Fluttershy said slowing opening the door, only to see the blue alicorn of 'darkness' standing in front of her. "Nightmare Moon? Fluttershy yelped, as she slammed the wooden door in the two ponies faces.

"Wait right here." Twilight nervously laughed as she walked into the small cottage. Luna just rolled her eyes in both boredom and regret, as she heard a commotion that she assumed the purple unicorn trying to force the yellow Pegasus out of her house.

"Fluttershy... you remember Princess Luna?" Twilight said properly introducing her friend to the Princess of the Night.

"Charmed." Luna said in her natural booming voice, raising her hoof in greeting. The same natural neutral expression adorning her face.

"Likewise." Fluttershy timidly responded, laying on her back.

"Twilight Sparkle hath spoken of the sweetness of thy voice. We ask thou teachest to us to speak as thou speakest." Luna's voice continued to boom, as stated her reasons for being at the young pony's cottage.

"Okay." Fluttershy said quietly.

"Shall our lessons begin?" Luna's booming voice continued.

"Okay." Fluttershy repeated, even quieter than before.

"Shall we mimic thy voice?" Luna continued her voice only getting louder as she continued.

"Okay." Fluttershy whimpered back, her words now almost inaudible.

"How is this?" Luna's booming voice finished.

"Perfect, lesson over!" Fluttershy said quickly as she bolted for the open door of her cottage. Only for Twilight to slam the door, making the Pegasus fly straight into it. Hitting the door with a loud thud.

"A little quieter, princess." Twilight said to Luna, urging her to continue speaking.

"How is..." Luna began her voice booming. "this?" Luna finished her voice a little quieter.

"Better. Right, Fluttershy?" Twilight asked the dazed Pegasus.

"Yes." Fluttershy said nervously, as she flopped to the ground.

"How... about... now?" Luna said, her voice becoming closer to the normal speaking patterns of modern day ponies.

"Now you're getting it." Twilight said, happy of the blue alicorn's process.

"And... how about now?" Luna said, her voice now at the normal speaking volume.

"Yes! Well done." Twilight said happy, a smile forming on her face.

"I thank thee, dear Fluttershy! Our normal speaking voice shall surely win us the hearts of thy fellow villagers." Luna's voice returned to its booming volume, as she picked up the nearly lifeless body of Fluttershy to her a grateful hug.

"Fluttershy! You've gotta hide us! Nightmare Moon is here and..." Pinkie began to say, only for her to notice a speechless Fluttershy lunged over the shoulder of Luna. "Ah! She stole Fluttershy's voice so she can't scream when she gobbles her up!" Pinkie screamed, which was shortly followed by the group of foals she was with. Them all running the scene.

"Nay, children, wait!" Luna's voice boomed toward the fleeing ponies, only for her to correct herself. "I mean... nay, children, no, wait." Luna repeated in almost whispering tone. A look of both disappointment and frustration showing on her face.

"Come on, princess. Time for plan B." Twilight said, hoping to raise the Princess' spirits.


The two ponies walked through the town square of Ponyville. The citizens of the small town all cowering in fear as the blue alicorn passed them. "It is of no use, Twilight Sparkle. They have never liked us and they never shall." Luna said in defeat.

"My friend Applejack is one of the most likable ponies around. I'm sure she'll have some ideas." Twilight said to Luna, as the two ponies headed toward the orange earth pony.

"Ha!" Pipsqueak yelped as he almost fell into the tub for bobbing for apples.

"Careful there, partner." Applejack said catching the small colt before he could fall into the water.

The orange pony then turned around to the see the blue alicorn standing in front of her, and she immediately dropped to the ground. Luna gave Twilight a disappointed look, as this was now the second friend of her to fear her.

Luna rolled her eyes sarcastically as the purple forced a nervous smile as she dropped down to Applejack's level.

"Uh... Applejack, the princess is looking for a little advice on how to fit in around here." Twilight whispered to Applejack.

"Fit in? Really?" Applejack said rather bluntly, only to get an annoyed grunt from Twilight in response; changing her mood immediately.

"I mean... that's easy! All you gotta do is have the right attitude. Loosen up a bit, be positive, play a few games, have some fun." Applejack said to the Princess of the Night, leaving a confused look on her face.

"Fun? What is this "fun" thou speakest of?" Luna said, giving one of the best phrases ever, of all time.


"Pray tell, what purpose do these serve?" Luna asked as Applejack handed her a fake spider that was made out of rubber. As she stood in front of a large web.

"Try to land the sp-sp-spiders on the web." A cowering pony said to the blue alicorn, pointing at the large web.

Luna did as the scared pony said, tossing the rubber spider toward the web. The spider landed a foot from the web. Luna's face cringed, as she seemed to fail at a very simple task.

"You can do it, princess!" Applejack encouraged the blue alicorn. Luna's face switched to one filled with determination as she threw a second rubber spider at the web. This one, however, hit its mark. Landing directly in the middle of the large web.

"Ha! Your princess enjoys this 'fun'!" Luna exclaimed happily. "In what other ways may we experience it?" Luna turned to ask the two ponies. Twilight and Applejack both shared a small smirk, as they showed more ways for the Princess of the Night to experience 'fun'.


"Fire away, princess!" Twilight called to Luna, who was currently standing in front of a large catapult designed to fire pumpkins. Luna pushed the arm of the catapult down, and it whipped forward propelling its projectile toward its target. A large bullseye, about hundred feet from the catapult.

The princess' aim was true as the orange pumpkin hit the middle of the target, exploding in a big splat. "Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!" Luna exclaimed, for her to get a "Hurray!" from the town's citizenry. Them coming more accustomed to the Princess' presence.

"Why don't you try bobbin' for apples? We got the best apples in Equestria here, princess." Applejack said to Luna. "I ask that thou call us... me... Luna, fair Applejack." Luna said to the orange pony, accepting the ponies modern speech patterns. "Hear me, villagers! All of you! Call me Luna!" Luna announced to the populous of Ponyville. Her getting approving chatter from the crowd in return.

"Show me to these bobbing apples." Luna said to Applejack, and the orange pony pointed at the tub of apples. That she was speaking of.

Luna looked over to the tub just in time to see Pipsqueak fall into the water. Luna flew over to the water and grabbed, with her teeth, the young colt out of the water.

"Hey, gals. Anypony seen, Pip? We lost him the last time we had to run..." Pinkie began, only for her to stop when she saw Luna picking a wet Pipsqueak out of the water. "Aaah! Nightmare Moon is gobbling Pipsqueak! Everypony run!" Pinkie squawked, as she led the young fillies in another scream.

"Help! My backside has been gobbled!" Pipsqueak screamed as she wiggled himself out of Luna grasped.

"'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!" Luna angry barked, stomping her hoof in frustration. Lightning and thunder shortly following her, the ponies of Ponyville reverting back to fearing the Princess of the Night. "Fair villagers, please do not back away. Let us join together in... fun!" Luna said awkwardly, realizing her error.

She in a last-ditch effort to mend her error throw one of the rubber spiders toward the receding ponies. The toy spider hit the ground with a small squeak, and the ponies only backed away further. Against the blue alicorn's wishes.

"Not enough fun for you? What say you to this!?" Luna said angrily as she shot the bowl containing the rubber spider with her horn. Turning the toys into real large spiders. The spiders crawled and the ponies screamed as a swarm of them piled onto one pony.

"Huzzah! How many points do I receive?" Luna said, as a large ground of the large spiders crawled onto the center of the large web.

The citizenry continued to scream as the spiders continued to crawl all across Ponyville. The panic ponies ran in all different directions, knocking over party decorations as they went.

"Do not run away!" Luna commanded the panicking ponies to prevail. One of the panicking ponies knocked over a large candy decoration and to rolled across the town. Just adding to the chaos of the moment.

"As your princess, we command you!" Luna continued to command the frightened citizenry, also to no prevail.

"BE STILL!" Luna's voice deafed, forcing all the ponies to cower at the alicorn seer power.

"Princess, remember! Watch the screaming!" Twilight said cautiously, trying to calm the angry Luna down.

"NO TWILIGHT SPARKLE! We must use the traditional royal Canterlot voice for what we are about to say." Luna's voice boomed over the crowd, her eyes nothing but white blanks as her whole full alicorn power came on display. As the blue alicorn use her large feathered wings to lift her body into the air. The sky around her warping to her command.

"SINCE YOU CHOOSE TO FEAR YOUR PRINCESS RATHER THAN LOVER HER, AND DISHONOR HER WITH THIS INSULTING CELEBRATION, WE DECREE THAT NIGHTMARE NIGHT SHALL BE CANCELED! FOREVER!" Luna's voice boomed over Ponyville, as she foreby canceled the Nightmare Night celebration.


"Shoot. We had everything goin' our way. Luna was happy, everypony in town was happy, now look at 'em." Applejack sighed as the ponies of Ponyville cleaned up the destroyed decorations.

"But I wanted to be a zombie next year." A young filly dressed up as queen cried, as an older pony (presumably a parent or older sibling) consoled the young filly.

"It's not over yet." Twilight said with determination in her voice. "What are you gonna do?" Applejack asked the purple unicorn.

"I'm going to do what I do best. Lecture her!" Twilight exclaimed, before trotting off to find the blue alicorn.


"Princess?" Twilight said cautiously as she caught up to the blue alicorn. Her head held low in shame, as she crossed a small bridge.

"Leave me be, Twilight Sparkle." Luna responded back sadly.

"Princess, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out how we wanted. But you have to believe me when I tell you that Nightmare Night is one of the most popular celebrations we have." Twilight said trying to cheer up the Princess of the Night. Only to get the opposite effect.

"Yes. I can tell. By all the adoring shrieks of the children as they run away." Luna remarked sarcastically, as she continued to slowly and sadly trot away.

As Luna trotted away a single thought kept repeating in her mind. "Oh Luna, you really bucked up, this time, didn't you."


A few minutes later the young colts and fillies of Ponyville continued to whimper over the loss of the Nightmare Night festival. Pinkie Pie, however, was making the most of it by eating the last remittances of candy spread across the cobblestone ground.

Pinkie ate the candy bending down and using her mouth as a sort of beak. Like a chicken, I guess. Pinkie followed a line of candy into an alleyway and was soon tackled by Twilight. Forcing her up against a house, covering her mouth with her hoof.

"No! No shrieking. No screaming or squealing either. Okay?" Twilight all but demanded quickly and directly. "Okay." Pinkie said, her words muffled from Twilight's hoof.

"There's something I want you to see. And I promise that it's safe, but you really, really, really can't shriek. Do you promise not to shriek?" Twilight said to the pink earth pony, her tone becoming far less aggressive.

"Mmm-hmm." Pinkie nodded as Twilight removed her hoof and walked backward. Princess Luna joining her, walking out of the dark alleyway.

Pinkie squawked like a chicken, in fear as the blue alicorn approached, only to silence herself when Twilight gave her a death glare. "Pinkie Pie, you remember Princess Luna, right?" Twilight said as the blue alicorn got closer.

"Ah. The ringleader of the frightened children." Luna started sarcastically, talking to Pinkie. "Hast thou come to make peace." Luna's tone becoming more friendly as she offered her hoof. In a manner of making amends.

Pinkie was about to accepts Luna's hoof, only for dark clouds to form behind the blue alicorn and lightning to strike. "Nightmare Moon!" Pinkie squawked, as she ran away, again.

"Rainbow!" Twilight yelled up to the mischievous Pegasus. Who was currently laughing her flank off on her black storm cloud.

Twilight's horn glew magenta as she teleported in front of the running earth pony, tackling her to the ground.

"She's changed, Pinkie! She's not evil or scary anymore! And she definitely doesn't want to gobble you up!" Twilight said pinning the squirming pony. Only to get a confused look from Pinkie Pie in return.

"Well, duh!" Pinkie said bluntly, leaving Twilight dumbfounded.

"Huh?" Twilight said dumbly, hoping for more clarification.

"I know that. Sheesh, Twilight. I'm almost as big as her, how's she gonna gobble me up?" Pinkie said in her normal overtop nonsensical way.

"So why do you keep running away and screaming?" Twilight asked Pinkie stepping off of her.

"Sometimes it's just really fun to be scared!" Pinkie said, giving Twilight a great idea.

"Fun? Pinkie Pie, you're a genius!" Twilight said happily to Pinkie Pie. "No, I'm not. I'm a chicken." Pinkie said, which was followed by a chicken squawk. Making Twilight slightly smile at her friend's almost unwavering optimism.

"Princess Luna! I've finally figured out why you're having so much trouble being liked!" Twilight said running over to Luna, who was laying on the ground. About ready to give up.

"Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm." Luna said in a deadpan nature, her words burning with the same amount of sarcasm that she used earlier.

"Come with me. I'll explain everything on the way." Twilight said to the Princess of the Night, and the two ponies trotted off to enact the purple unicorn's plan.


"Gosh. I never thought my very first Nightmare Night would be my very last." Pipsqueak said disappointedly.

"Come, little Pip. Now don't you fret. Nightmare Night's not over yet. We still have candy left to give, so Nightmare Moon might let us live." Zecora said down to the young colt, in her usual rhyming nature.

"Yes. Come on, little ponies. What's Nightmare Night without the annual candy offering? You don't want Nightmare Moon to gobble you up, do you?" The mayor said, in the same ghost-like way that she had used earlier.

"Aw, the rainbow wig just kills it for me." Spike said to himself, talking about the clown dressed mayor. "Come on, kids! Doesn't that sound like fun?" Applejack said, and the young colts and fillies all headed toward the town's statue of Nightmare Moon.

"Goodbye, Nightmare Night. Forever." Pipsqueak said sadly, placing a small amount of his candy in front of the statue. As he did, however, the winds around him started to whistle, blowing Applejack's hat off her head.

"Citizens of Ponyville! You were wise to bring this candy to me. I am pleased with your offering" Nightmare Moon's voice boomed over the area, terrify all the ponies present.

"So pleased that I may just eat it... instead of eating you!" Nightmare Moon's voice boomed, as the black alicorn appeared in place of the statue. All the young foals screamed and ran away from the black alicorn in fear.

Nightmare Moon then transformed back into Princess Luna, as she spit out a pair of fake pointy teeth.

"I am not certain that did what you meant for it to do, Twilight Sparkle." Luna said to the purple unicorn, scared that she had just ruined her last shot at amending her relationships with the young foals.

"Just wait." Twilight said simply, knowing that her plan had worked.

"For what? For... for them to scream some more?" Luna said jumping down the statue's pedestal. Luna's rambling was halted when she felt a slight tugging on her star-like mane.

Luna looked down at where the tugging was coming from to see the small spotted pony body of Pipsqueak.

"Um... Princess Luna. I know there's not gonna be any more Nightmare Night, but do you suppose maybe you could come back next year and scare us again anyway?" Pipsqueak asked Luna, to the great surprise of the Princess of the Night.

"Child. Art thou saying that thou... likest me to scare you?" Luna asked, looking out to see the happy faces adorning the foals that she had just scared.

"It's really fun! Scary, but fun!" Pip said nodding happily. "It... is?" Luna said realization coming to her.

"Yeah! Nightmare Night is my favorite night of the year." Pip said his happiness growing with each passing second. "Well then. We shall have to bring (booming voice) Nightmare Night back!" Luna said her booming voice powerful enough to blow the small colt back a few feet.

"Whoa! You're my favorite princess ever!" Pip exclaimed happy running over to the other young foals. "She said yes, guys!" Pip exclaimed happily to all the young foal. They all "YAY!" at the same time from the news.

"See? They really do like you, princess." Twilight said, walking to the still shocked princess.

"Can it be true? (thunder, booming voice) OH, MOST WONDERFUL OF... (normal voice) I mean... Oh, most wonderful of nights." Luna exclaimed happily, a soft giggle coming from Twilight in return.

All the festivities of Nightmare Night in Ponyville went off without a hitch. The citizens of the town all accepting the Princess of the Night as nothing more than an equal. Twilight happy of her work told Spike to send a letter to Princess Celestia telling her success of bringing friendship to her little sister's heart.


Back in Canterlot Celestia was spending her Nightmare Night sorting through all of the many letters from the Dragon Empire when she received a letter from Twilight, via Spike's magic fire. The letter from Twilight hovered in mid-air for a few seconds. Curious Celestia placed the letter she was currently reading on her feather bed and opened the one from Twilight that she had just received with her golden magic.

She then read the letter, a happy smile spreading across her face as she did.

"When you first sent me to Ponyville, I didn't know anything about friendship. I met somepony tonight who was having the same problem - your sister, Princess Luna! She taught me that one of the best things you can do with friendship is to give it to others, and help them find it themselves! And I'm happy to report that all of Ponyville has learned that even if somepony seems a little intimidating, even scary, when you offer them your friendship, you'll discover a whole new pony underneath. And even if my Star Swirl the Bearded costume didn't go over, this still turned out to be the best Nightmare Night ever!" Twilight's letter read.

Celestia read the letter at least ten more times, her smile growing each time she read it. Reading it one last time until she finally fell into a wonderful dream filled sleep.


Celestia slept all through the night waking up just in time to raise the sun, bringing its light back to the land of Equestria. Celestia's early morning got even better as she saw her young sister happily trotting throughout the castle.

Celestia decided to follow her little sister trotting up to her. "Well, looks like somepony had a nice Nightmare Night." Celestia said down to her little sister. Her sister's blue cheeks turning a little red as she blushed.

"Why yes, I certainly did have a good time down in Ponyville. I can certainly see why you choose Twilight as your protege." Luna said, Celestia taking note of her lack of referring to herself in the third person. But didn't say anything.

"That's great to hear sister..." Celestia began to say only for her to be interrupted back by Sugarlily running up to the two princesses, a small scroll being held in her magic.

"Your... your majesties... I have... a message... for the... both of... you." The young mare managed to say, trying to catch her breath. the two alicorns both shared a confused look, as Celestia took the piece of parchment from the exhausted pony.

Celestia unfolded the scroll and read the letter, which was addressed to both of the Princess from the newly Crowned King of the Dragon Empire. Celestia eyes widening as she read the scroll.

"What is it, dear sister." Luna asked Celestia seeing the distressed look on her elder sister's face.

Luna didn't get a response, only Celestia dropping the letter making it plummet to the carpet floor. Hitting the floor with a small thud.

Both Luna and Sugarlily stared up at the white alicorn in confusion. "Oh... Celestia." Luna said waving her hoof in front of her sister's face. Hoping her a reaction of some kind.

The only thing Luna got in response was this. "Oh... Buck!" Celestia said staring off into the distance, knowing that she had seriously bucked up.

Author's Note:

GREETINGS FELLOW READERS OF OUR WRITINGS, WE DEEPLY APPRECIATETH THOU READING THIS NIGHTMARE NIGHT SPECIAL. WE ALSO CERTES HOPETH THAT THOU WILL FOLLOWETH, FAVORITE, AND COMMENT! Oh, writing in the Traditional Canterlot Voice is fun.

Sorry if this chapter feels a bit rushed, I tried my best to get this out before or on Halloween.

This is the first time I have mentioned Theta, and yes he will grow in importance. He will have his first physical appearance in "Dragon's Quest" which should be not the next chapter but the one directly following. Along with another O.C.

Before somepony asks, no Sugarlily will not play a vital role in this story. She meant show up again in scenes that take place in the castle. But her role will be very similar to the role of Orchid Jewel. As just an O.C. to fill the scene or a background pony that actually has a personality. Yeah, I just went there.

PreviousChapters Next