• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 2,986 Views, 146 Comments

The Tale of the Second Alpha - Bergen



Equestria, the vast land ruled by ponies. But this was not always the case. Long before the rule of the princesses Equestria was ruled by dragons the leader which was the Alpha. This is the tale of the Second Alpha.

  • ...
15
 146
 2,986

PreviousChapters Next
Some Wounds Never Heal

"I am really sorry for what happened to you three. I hope that you accept my deepest apologizes." Lemon Hearts said, apologize to Minuette, Twinkleshine, and Lyra for being of turning them into nothing more than walking puppets for Queen Chrysalis.

"Lemon you told us that you have been sorry more times than I care to count." Minuette said as Moon Dancer spoke up.

"Twenty-seven to be exact." Moon Dancer said, her five friends all spending their weekly get together at the cafe in Canterlot.

"Whatever, but that's besides the point." Minuette continued. "What I mean is that we all understand that you had no control on what you were doing. So why should we blame you, if it could've every easily been one of us doing the exact same thing to you." Minuette said, making Lemon Hearts feel a little better about herself.

"I'm sorry. It's just can't that was the one that was responsible for causing you all that pain." Lemon said, still beating up on herself.

"Lemon... we all understand what you're going through, but you mustn't beat yourself so much." Twinkleshine said to Lemon.

"Thanks girls. I think I feel much better now." Lemon Hearts said her cheerful attitude beginning to return to her for the first time since the wedding between Princess Cadence and Shining Armor.

"Do you think that you can come back to work than?" Moon Dancer asked Lemon Hearts. Lemon haven't been working at the castle since Princess Cadence and Shining Armor's wedding. "The castle has been an absolute mess without Lemon." Moon Dancer added, getting a soft chuckle out of

"Yeah, I think I can. There are only a few weeks without work that you last without getting bored out of your skull." Lemon Hearts said.

"Great. So do you believe will be able to return to work with me tomorrow?" Moon Dancer asked Lemon.

"Yeah, I think I will be good enough by tomorrow." Lemon said to Moon Dancer, making Moon Dancer face warm up in a smile.

Moon Dancer then rose from her seat and began to walk out of the cafe.

"Where are you going Moon?" Twinkleshine called out to Moon Dancer as she was halfway outside the door of the cafe.

"I have some research for the Princess that I have to attend to." Moon Dancer explained.

"Will you be able to comeback?" Twinkleshine asked Moon Dancer.

"I don't know, girls. You all know how I get when I am studying. I just can't stop, but I will see what I can do, ok." Moon Dancer said as she waved goodbye.

"Ok, See yay Moon." Moon Dancer's friends said at the same as they broke off into their own conservations.


Over in the Dragon Empire, Theta and his brother Sigma were engaged in a training session with their mentor. What was this training mission you may ask. Well... it was a training session to help the two apprentices learn to defend themselves in case of battle. Alpha having his two apprentices duel each other, in order to train the both of them at the same time.

"Again, and Theta don't try to overthink your attacks. If you do, it will just leave yourself open to enemy." Alpha scolded the white dragon, pinned underneath his much stronger brother. This being the fifth time in a row that Theta had lost to his brother.

"Yes, I try my best." Theta grunted, his brother massive body making it difficult for him to breathe.

"Why don't you just give up." Theta heard his brother whisper to him, as Sigma climbed off of him. Sigma finding a strange delight in beating his brother.

"Now begin, and no screw ups." Alpha said as his two apprentices reengaged in their training session. Sigma couldn't stop himself from letting out a small laugh, as he knew that his mentor was really referring to his much weaker, at least in his yellow eyes, brother.

Theta and Sigma circled each other, until Theta swung one of his claws at Sigma. Sigma blocked his brother easily with the waist of his right claw and delivered a right claw of his own to his brother muzzle. Making Theta reel back in pain. Red blood beginning to spill from his broken nose.

"Theta stop telegraphing your attacks, it will only leave you open to an easily counterattack." Alpha said down to the injured alpha, him beginning to regret taking on Theta has his latest apprentice.

"Yes Alpha, thank you Alpha." Theta said up to his mentor, wiping some of the blood on his face with his claw.

"You want another one." Sigma taunted his brother.

Theta roared in annoyance as he charged at his brother. The two brothers trading blows. Theta doing little damage compared to that of his brother's. With all of Sigma attacks making Theta have to reel back in pain of every strike.

"I'll give you one thing brother." Sigma said as he place his brother into a headlock.

"And what... would that... be?" Theta somehow managed to ask his brother.

"You sure are driven... misguided... but driven none-the-less." Sigma said released his brother. Theta tumbling to the dirt ground in defeat, again. Theta breathing heavily.

"I think that is enough for today." Alpha said releasing Theta of getting any more punishment. "Sigma you are dismissed... Theta may I speak with you." Alpha said to his two apprentices.

"Here." Sigma said giving a helping claw to his brother.

Theta stared up at the dark gray claw in front of him. His vision switching to that of the black scales of the corrupted version of his brother from his vision. Theta shock the sight out of his mind as he accepted his brother's help.

"For the record you would've made an ok Alpha." Sigma whispered to Theta.

"What do... do you mean?" Theta asked Simga, surprised by his brother's words.

"Isn't obvious, he is going to cut you." Sigma said to Theta, as he walked away. The kind, yet at the same time protective, twin brother that he had grown up with beginning to warp into something that Theta couldn't explain.


"Are you coming Theta?" Alpha asked Theta, bringing him back to reality.

"Um... of course I am." Theta as he climbed onto Alpha outstretched wing. Him not as afraid of heights as he once was. Alpha took to the skies as he began to fly up into the gray clouds that only seemed to circle the skies of the Dragon Empire.

"Um Alpha... I don't mean to sound rude, but why are we up here?" Theta asked his mentor. Crawling up to the lower neck of the Alpha.

"Theta do you know why I stopped your training session with your brother?" Alpha said to Theta, intentionally avoiding his apprentice's question.

"I can take a guess." Theta said, disappointed in himself.

"And that guess would be?" Alpha asked Theta, knowing the answer that he was most likely going to get.

"You're... you're embarrassed of me." Theta said, averting his gaze from the giant dragon that he was clinging onto.

"You couldn't be anymore wrong Theta." Alpha said, his words taking Theta by surprise.


In the skies over the Dragon Empire, Alpha and Theta were having a discussion.

"What... what do you mean. I am an awful fighter." Theta said to Alpha, not believing what his mentor was telling him.

"You are better than I was when I was your age." Alpha admitted, this surprising Theta even more.

"You... but you are the Alpha... you defeated an entire changeling army on your own." Theta said, not believing that a dragon the size of a mountain could've been a worse fighter than he currently was.

"I wasn't always like this." Alpha began. "Now that I actually think about it. I wasn't that different than you when I was younger." Alpha spoke, telling Theta about his past.

"Really... what was it like Alpha?" Theta asked Alpha.

"Name wasn't always Alpha. My name before I became the actual alpha was Delta. I was born almost two thousand year ago as a wingless red dragon in an egg that I shared with my twin brother, Omega." Delta said to Theta, opening up about his backstory.

"You had a twin brother?" Theta asked Delta.

"Yes... sigh... we were almost inseparable. At least we used to be." Delta said, his memory of the good times he had with Omega flashing back to him all in an instant.

"What do you mean?" Theta asked Delta, the giant dragon letting out a heavy sigh.

"It all started... what would it be eighteen hundred years ago, no nineteen hundred... that sounds about right. When my mentor, the original Alpha, traveled from the barren wasteland that me and my brother used to call home to the land that would later earn the name of Equestria." Alpha said as the memory from his past began to play before his eyes.


"Are we there yet?" A younger version of Omega, him about thirty feet long with slightly maroon scales and blue eyes, grunted on the back of the first alpha. The young alpha dragon bored out of his skull.

"Relax yourself Omega, we should be arriving at our destination as I speak." Alpha said, as the mountain-sized creature landed on the grassy ground of a large prairie.

"Can you remind us again as to why we are here in the first place?" Omega asked his mentor, the two apprentices climbing off of the Alpha's body.

"We are here to build with an alliance with the rulers of this fair land. In order to increase prosperity for both dragon and the species that inhibits this land." Alpha said to Omega.

"And what is this species that you speak of?" A younger version of Delta asked his Alpha. He slightly smaller than Omega with bright scales and lime green eyes.

"The species that we are going to do business with goes by the name of changelings if I am not mistaken. I don't know much of their species, but what do know that they have the ability to shapeshift into any animal, within reason, that they pleased." Alpha said to Delta, giving his limited knowledge of changelings to his young apprentice.

"You are correct." The three dragons heard a feminine voice say, but they couldn't locate where it had come from.

"Who is there? Show yourself!" Alpha roared, his booming voice making the ground shake.

"There is no need for hostility." The feminine voice said as small fruit fly was engulfed in green flames as it transformed into the form of a tall black pony-bug hybrid. "I have no intention to harm you." The voice said, now coming out of the black bug-pony.

"As if you could even try." Omega thought to himself, not impressive by the strange creature's magic trick.

"Who are you?" Alpha asked the bug-pony.

"I am Arachne, the Queen of all the changelings." The bug-pony said introducing herself.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Alpha, and these are my two apprentices Delta, and Omega." Alpha said, introducing himself, along with his two apprentices.

"Hi." Delta said to Arachne shyly. Arachne's muzzle curling up in a devilish grin.

"Sup." Omega said to Arachne bluntly. Making Arachne recoil in disgust at the maroon dragon's actions.

"I see..." Arachne began, looking the two Alpha's apprentices over. "Anyway, I guess it wouldn't be very guest like if I didn't show you around my kingdom." Arachne said, shifting her attention back to the Alpha.

"I would be honored, and I am sure that my apprentices will feel the same way." Alpha said accepting Arachne's offer.

"Speak for yourself." Omega thought to himself, as the Alpha and his two apprentices followed Arachne deeper into the land that would soon earn the name of Equestria.


"It's a great story, but what does this have to do with me?" Theta asked Delta, bringing the tell back to the present.

"I'm getting there trust me." Delta said as he continued the story. "Now as I was saying." Delta said as the memory of his past replayed before his eyes.


"This is the Hive of the Changelings." Arachne said to Alpha, as she showed the king of the dragons the location that functioned as the castle for the changelings.

The Hive of the Changelings was a large hill made entirely out of a golden crystallized goo that once it hardened it was just, if not, as strong as stone. The Hive on the very edge of the forest that would later be known as the Everfree Forest.

"That bad... I really love what you did with the architecture." Omega said sarcastically. The barren wasteland that they had once called home becoming more appealing by the second.

"Your majesty... I do not wish to interrupt, but I have a very important matter to discuss with you." A green-eyed changeling soldier said to his Queen.

"Yes Shadow, what is it?" Arachne asked the soldier bluntly.

"It private your majesty." Shadow said to his Queen, looking up at the mountain-sized dragon above him. The Alpha's golden scales almost blinding in the summer sun.

"Of... course. If you would excuse me for just one minute." Arachne said to Alpha, who simply nodded in response.

As the two changeling trotted off into the cave like entrance of the Changeling Hive, Omega and Delta began to talk to their mentor. The former becoming more suspicious by the second.

"Alpha, I don't know if it just me, but these changelings keep giving me the creeps." Omega said to Alpha.

"I don't know Omega. I mean would you be a little intimidated if one had to be the host to a dragon that is larger than the castle that you rule from." Delta said, stating a good point.

"Hmm... I guess so D, but still there is about that queen that just bugs me." Omega said, falling silent as Queen Arachne returned.

"Sorry about that. I just had a... small matter that had to attend to." Arachne said, giving a fake apology.

"No apologies necessary." Alpha said to the changeling queen. "I was at first surprised at to get a letter from you, your majesty. Changelings are not well known to being very open creatures." Alpha said to Arachne, getting a crooked grin from the changeling.

"We aren't." Arachne said wickedly as the changelings under her command seemed to just warp out of the thin air.

"What is the meaning of this!" Alpha roared, as his two apprentices, more like Omega, dropped into a defensive stance.

"There is a reason why there are reports of creatures coming to my kingdom." Arachne said, as more and more changelings under her command warped in the battlefield. Them soon outnumbering the three dragon almost two hundred to one.

"And what would that be?" Alpha asked Arachne through gritted teeth.

"Because the ones that have come, have never had the pleasure of living to tell about it. Rush them!" Arachne ordered at the changelings under her command. The ones that were hovering above the ground, all fired green magic beams from their horns. Hitting the Alpha all over his golden body. While at the same time

The Alpha rose up on hind legs, raising to his full height, as he let out one blast of his golden fire. Catching an entire swarm of changeling in his fire.

"I'm going to say that I told you so." Omega said as his claws to slice through the countless changelings that seemed to be coming out of the entrance of the Hive. Omega's claws soon becoming stained a dark red from the blood of the changelings.

"Don't, but a little assistance would be much appreciated." Delta roared for help to his brother. As he was currently getting surrounded by a large mass of changelings. Some of them jumping onto his back a pouncing large green blades into his red scales of his back.

Delta roared out in pain as he tried to run the changelings off his back. Using his mouth to grab one of the changelings loser to his neck into one of the crystallized columns of the Hive. Killing the said changeling on impact.

Delta never wanted to kill any other creature, but this was survival. It was either kill or you will be killed.

"I'm coming D." Omega said as he came to his brother's aid. Using his maroon fire to burn the remaining changelings off of his back. The changelings cried out in pain as Omega's fire burned their bug-like flesh as if it was paper. Delta didn't feel any harm, one of the benefits being a dragon. Having scales fireproof to all dragon species fire.

"Are you alright?" Omega asked his brother, with genuine concern in his voice. Eying the the large stab wounds into his twin brother's flesh.

"Yeah, I'm ok." Delta said through obvious pain.

"You're going to need more changelings than that to take me down Arachne." Alpha roared as he continued to use his fire to burn the changeling forces that were stupid enough to attack a dragon as large as the Hive that they lived in.

"That's the idea." Arachne said, taking a twisted delight in her attack. As the full amount of her changeling forces attacked Alpha in one attack.

"If that's how you want it." Alpha roared, as his the golden scales on his chest began to glow brighter than the sun. Delta and Omega had to revert their eyes from the blinding as their mentor charged up his blast. "So be it!" Alpha roared as he fired his golden fire. Catching all of the changeling reinforcements in a his golden blaze. All of them screaming out in pain as they were instantly turned to ash.

"Give it up Arachne, you can't defeat me." Alpha roared slamming back down on his four legs. His million pound body shaking the ground beneath his claws.

"That is where you are wrong." Arachne barked in a crazed manner. Her crooked her glowing a dark green in rage.

"Oh just shut up!" Omega roared, as he used his tail like a whip to knock the changeling queen into one of the support columns of the Hive. Knocking Arachne unconscious, while cracking the surface of the crystallized goo.


"What happened after that?" Theta asked his Alpha, bringing Delta back to the present.

"My mentor, my brother, and myself destroyed the remains of the changeling hive and banish all of the remaining changelings (including their defeated queen) from the region. Banishing them to the wasteland deserts on the far edges of Equestria. A land that all dragon, including myself used to call home." Alpha explained.

"Is that all?" Theta asked digging for a little more.

"Not quite. My Alpha ruled over the land that would later earn the name of Equestria until the actual pony settlers of the region arrived to the land. Them traveling from their original land that was destroyed by a massive blizzard. They almost brought the same fate unto Equestria if it wasn't for my Alpha. My Alpha used his golden fire to defeat the creatures that had brought the blizzard unto the land he ruled over. The creatures going by the name of Windigos. A magically flying horses that feeds off the hatred and distrust of others to spread infinitely more powerful snowstorms." Alpha said explaining the ancient past of Equestria to Theta.

"What happened to your brother, Omega?" Theta asked his mentor. Alpha instinctively cringing at the mention of his traitorous brother. "I have heard you talk, or even mention, him before." Theta continued, his words cutting into his mentor's flesh like a steel dagger.

"He... he lost his way. A long... long time ago." Alpha said, as the memory of him having to fight against his own twin brother flashing into his mind.

Theta saw the distress in the eyes of his mentor and decided that it would be best to just dropped the topic entirely.

"It's a great story, but... why did you tell me this?" Theta asked Alpha, addressing the white elephant in the room, or air if you want to be technical.

"I have told you this story to show that you are not the only one in this world, Theta. We all may have different experiences in this world, but there is one thing that is absolute. No matter what some may argue, it is not the ones that use brute strength that earn the title of the alpha. It is the ones that are honest to all. The ones that choose to use kindness and laughter when others would use violence. The ones that are generous not greedy. The ones that honor the loyalty of other, and give the same amount of loyalty in return. Those are the ones that are the rightful leaders of this world. Regardless of race, sex, or species. And Theta out of the creatures that I have had the great pleasure of meeting, you are the one that has shown me the most of all of these traits." Alpha said finishing his monologue.

"Um... thanks... I guess." Theta said, taken aback by his mentor words.

"Um... Alpha where are we going?" Theta asked his mentor after a few minutes of awkward silence.

"Canterlot, Celestia sent me a letter saying that she has something important to discuss with me about." Alpha said, as a clearing in the clouds showed the skyline of Canterlot.


Celestia was pacing the throne room, her thoughts running a mile a minute as she waited for the impossible to arrival of her old friend.

"Celestia come down, I'm sure that Delta will show up any minute now." Luna said to herself, their positions switched from a few days earlier.

"I know... I know. But this isn't just some normal meeting, you and I know this." Celestia said continuing to anxiously pace up and down the throne room. The fall breeze spending a chill up the white alicorn's back.

All of Celestia's worries evaporated from her body as a familiar roar shook the city. "About time he decided to show up." Celestia said, looking out one of the windows of the throne room just in time to see Alpha come in for a landing on the outskirts of the city. His carriage sized claws digging into the dirt ground as he slid to a stop.

"You requested my presence Celestia." Alpha addressed the white alicorn beneath him, as Theta climbed off his back. Landing on the red carpeted floor of the throne room. Theta couldn't stop himself from giggling at the stained glass painting depicting Spike with the Crystal Heart held in his claws riding on his back.

"Yes we do have an important to discuss with you." Celestia said to her old friend.

"Yes... what is it." Alpha said, slightly suspicious as to what Celestia was referring to.

"You remember Discord, don't you Delta." Luna asked her old friend.

"Isn't he the draconequus that turned Equestria into his own personal playground of chaos, twice." Theta said, his words filled with some unintentional smug.

"Yes... he was also turned into stone twice." Luna said to Theta through gritted teeth, only getting a chuckle out of the white dragon.

"Anyway, me and my sister have been debating what to do with him." Luna began to say as the city was shaken by a large earthquake, but this one felt more natural than the small tremors that happened when Alpha took a step.

"Delta... was that you?" Luna asked the giant dragon above her.

"I don't think so. But... I think I what caused it." Alpha said staring off toward Ponyville. The city being covered by a large translucent dome above the small town. Almost as if somepony had put a giant glass bowl over the city.

"Ugh... Do I ever get a break." Alpha roared in annoyance. "Theta you stay here. I'll be right back." ALpha roared as he opened his massive wings and launched into the air.

The two alicorn's eyes went straight for toward the white dragon that was standing in the middle of the room.

"Well... this is awkward."


Moon Dancer had just arrived at her home in the modest, at least by Canterlot standards, part of the city. Ready to spend the rest of the day doing research for Princess Celestia. What research you may ask.

"The Untold Story of the First Alpha and his Two Apprentices." Moon Dancer read the cover of the book that had told her about the alpha dragon in the first place.

Moon Dancer used her yellow magic to turn the book to the page that she had bookmarked and began reading.

"Nopony, or even dragon for that matter, knows exactly how long the first had ruled over the land that would later become known as Equestria, but the most recent estimates are from one hundred to maybe even five hundred years until the first ponies stepped hoof in a manner to settle the region." Moon Dancer read, this being common knowledge to her.

Moon Dancer didn't know why Princess Celestia wanted her to reread the same book that she had reread only five times before hoof. It seemed counterproductive, at least it did to her. But she would express her opinions on the matter to Celestia directly. She could recite the first few chapters perfectly to the two Princesses just from memory.

"This is a waste of time." Moon Dancer said halfway through the second page of the chapter she was currently reading. Moon Dancer began to close the book with her magic, only for something to catch her eye.

"Wait... what was that?" Moon Dancer asked herself flipping to the page that caught her eye. "How have I never noticed this." Moon Dancer said wide-eyed. The very the last page in the book to be exact, a page that Moon Dancer could never remember reading.

"With the introduction of the newly crowned Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, or simply Princess Cadence for short. There has been an unconfirmed prophecy that has been began involving the two alpha brothers." Moon Dancer began to read the last paragraph of the last page of the book.

"Now with the introduction of the third princess in Equestria, it will soon spring forth the return of the second sister, the return of the Spirit of Chaos by the name of Discord, and the long awaited return of the most powerful creature in world history. Delta, the second alpha. Peace will return to the lands of Equestria and the Dragon Empire, but it will not last however. When the three princesses become four, the lost one will return, and the two will battle. With only one being able to walk away from the battle alive." Moon Dancer read the last page of the book, her mind lost for words.

"Oh... that's why."

Author's Note:

Sorry this took a little longer than usual, the end of second term almost killed me in stress. Ugh... if my updates get less and less don't be surprised. I don't want to stop writing, but if I have to, I will. Why did take four A.P. classes when I am a full time writer.

There you go guys so backstory to both Alpha/Delta and Omega that I have really needed to do for some time now. I wanted to show a little bit of a different side to Omega other than the revengeful brother hiding in a cave that I have shown you lately.

This chapter set up a lot. Next will be "Magic Duel" followed shortly by "Keep Come and Flutter On".

Sorry guys if this isn't of the same quality and of the same length as some my previous chapters, I still have no idea how to do Season Three up until Magical Mystery Cure. I hope the next few chapters will be better.

If anypony is getting annoyed by Theta's lack of combat, just wait his badass side and the reason that he is an alpha dragon will come out soon.

In case anypony is wondering. Yes the scales and the eye color of an alpha dragon are important. I won't say why, but I think you can determine it for yourself.

PreviousChapters Next