• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,206 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,206

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Midnight Hour

Princess Luna frowned as she watched the stallion pacing on the balcony, staring to the south, where Chrysalis castle was located.

"I should never have let her go without me," he muttered. "Canterlot would have managed without me, but if something happens to her because I was not there..."

'Is it really just a coincidence?' Luna thought. 'The way he looks, the way he sounds, his knowledge of Dark Magic, even that look in his eye like he know's something nopony else does... Everything points to Black Knight being King Sombra. Everything except the word of my sister and Twilight.' Luna's frown deepened as she took in his worried expression. 'And the way he acts. He said Twilight saved his life but is that really enough to warrant such a reaction from him? And a telepathic link. Why would Twilight agree to something like that with a pony she just met? Unless...'

Luna's expression became thoughtful as she turned away from the pacing stallion. Signaling a nearby guard, she said, "Keep an eye on our... guest. I shall be overseeing repairs to the city until my sister returns."


They were nearing their destination, and most of the journey had passed in silence when Spike decided he could not take it any longer. "Do you think Twilight's alright?" He asked Celestia from his position on her back.

Glancing over her shoulder as she flew, Celestia gave the young dragon a reassuring smile before saying, "Twilight is one of the most gifted unicorns I have ever met and she has her friends with her. I'm sure she'll be fine." Facing forward again, her expression became worried as she thought, 'However, Black Knight seemed quite certain about what he said. I may not have known him long, but despite the fighting and danger over the last few days, that was the first time I have seen him lose his composure.'

Seeing a castle coming up, Celestia swooped down, quickly spotting a group of ponies standing outside. As she approached, she heard them arguing.

"Ah just rescued mah sister," Applejack said adamantly. "I ain't about ta put her at risk so soon."

"This is Twilight we're talking about!" Rainbow Dash protested. "She's our friend and she obviously needs our help! Don't you trust her?"

"It ain't about trust," Applejack replied with a shake of her head. "Normally, Ah'd trust Twilight with mah life, but there's obviously something wrong with her. Ya saw what she did up there."

"Applejack's not saying that we abandon her, just that we get the fillies to safety and get some help," Rarity cut in. "Surely Princess Celestia will know what to do."

"I certainly hope so," the alicorn in question said as she landed next to them.

"Princess Celestia!" The group cried in unison, relaxing visibly at her arrival.

Spike jumped off the princess' back and asked, "Is Twilight alright? Where is she?"

Immediately, the tension returned. It was Sweetie Belle who answered. "She's still up there," The filly said, pointing one hoof to the top of the castle.

Spike rushed towards the front door of the castle but was brought up short as a pair of hooves wrapped around him. "Um, you m-might want to wait for the princess to go first," Fluttershy said, holding him with surprising firmness. "You wouldn't want to see w-what's up there..."

Up close, Celestia could feel the Dark Magic that filled the castle. Even so, the magic she felt from the top floor dwarfed that in the rest of the building. Looking closely, she also noticed dark purple crystals protruding through some of the upper windows.

"Wait here," Celestia said as she entered the castle slowly.

Ignoring the strange room of stairs, she began making her way upwards. Hearing a sound, Celestia followed it to its source. As she drew nearer, she realized the sound was somepony crying. "Twilight?" She called softly as she approached the doorway it was coming from. "Are you alright?"

"Stay away!" Twilight sobbed. "I don't want to hurt anypony else..."

Stepping into the doorway, Celestia saw Twilight sitting in the center of the room with her head buried in her hooves, surrounded by dark crystal formations. Stepping into the room, Celestia gasped as she noticed what else was in the room.

The shredded remains of dozens of Changelings spread across the floor, walls, and ceiling.


Dawn had broken and Sombra was still keeping watch from the balcony when he saw a familiar form streaking through the sky towards him. As a multicolored blur landed next t him, he demanded. "Where's Twilight? What happened?"

"Woah, calm down. Twilight's fine now," Rainbow Dash said. "Although, Celestia's still worried. That's why she stayed on the train with the others and sent me ahead."

"Hmm, so they are returning by train, then," the stallion commented, already turning to head to the station as he did. 'Thank crystal,' the former tyrant thought. 'I have put too much time and FAR too much effort into my interactions with Twilight for it all to be ruined now. Still, depended on what happened, it may all have been for naught, regardless. Not to mention, if she had died, I doubt I could find another such gifted student for another thousand years.' Nodding to himself, he added silently, 'Yes, that's all it is. I only care about her because of her usefulness.'

"Hey, no need to rush," the pegasus said, cutting into his thoughts. "I'm way faster than any train, so it'll probably be at least an hour before they get here."

Stopping and looking back at her, Sombra asked, "What are you suggesting?"

"Well, Celestia told us about how you help fight off a bunch off super-powered cockatrices while we were dealing with the Changelings," Rainbow Dash replied. "So, I was thinking we could find out which of us is tougher. I'm not about to become known as second best in Ponyville."

Giving an indulgent smile, Sombra said, "Perhaps once we return to the village. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to focus, given the situation. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to await Lady Twilight and the others."

As she watched him leave, Rainbow Dash frowned and muttered, "Darn it, I guess I owe Rarity five bits. He really is obsessed with Twilight. After all, who wouldn't want to spend time with me?"


As the train pulled into the station, Sombra quickly scanned the disembarking ponies for the mare that had caused him such worry. After all the others got off and headed towards the castle, he finally saw Celestia and Spike exit the train, with Twilight lingering behind them. When Celestia saw him waiting with a concerned expression, she said something to her student before scooping the baby dragon onto her back and trotting towards the castle as well.

Sombra frowned as he approached the mare who was standing by her lonesome. Once they were alone, he asked, "What is going on with your friends, Twilight? It would appear that they are avoiding you."

The young mare seemed to curl up slightly as she replied in a sad tone. "They're scared of me."

Frown deepening, the stallion asked, "What are you talking about? I thought they had accepted your use of Dark Magic after you rescued them from the Changelings."

"They did... until I faced Queen Chrysalis," Twilight answered slowly. Looking up for the first time since her arrival, Sombra's eyes widened when he saw the mare's own, aglow with Dark Magic despite her obviously not casting a spell. Without further prompting, she went on to explain. "Everything she had thrown at us, I had overcome so easily with my Dark Magic and... I got cocky. Chrysalis took advantage of that. She threatened to kill the fillies we had come to rescue. I... I attacked her but it turned out to be a trick... I almost died. But then... it was like something snapped inside my head. I stopped caring about lessons or how to focus my spells or what we had come for or... or even my friends. All I cared about was the insect that had dared to attack me. I healed myself, I don't even remember how, and then I... I...

Seeing tears beginning to course down his student's face, Sombra hesitated before doing something he had not done to a pony since the day Radiant Hope had gotten her cutie mark; he hugged her. It was awkward at first, he barely remembered how to do it, but Twilight sank into him gratefully. "Ponies' minds are fragile things, Twilight. Given what happened, I'm not surprised you suffered some sort of psychotic break."

"That's not it," she protested, some part of her wanting him to know the truth, no matter how shameful. "I just stopped caring. I stopped caring about what my friends thought of me and... I stopped caring about the Changelings lives. I... I killed them, Sombra. A whole room full of Changelings... I tore them apart with their own shadows..." Twilight's voice dropped to barely a whisper, filled with something akin to fear, "and I enjoyed it..."

And part of you still does. A voice in the back of her mind whispered.

Unaware of the mental comment, Sombra said softly, "There is nothing wrong with enjoying power, Twilight. The Changelings brought this upon themselves, and you defended yourself. You are my student, and I shall never abandon you."

"But it wasn't self-defense, not really," Twilight protested, only looking more miserable. "The first few perhaps. After that, they tried to flee and I... I sealed the exits with crystals. I didn't just defend myself and my friends, I slaughtered them."

"I do not think I have ever seen you beat yourself up so much, and you are Twilight Sparkle," Sombra said with a chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. "So... that is saying something."

"I killed them, Sombra. I shredded them into pieces," Twilight protested, as tears continued to course down her face. "I'm putting the ponies I love in danger. How could I do anything but beat myself up? I hate this Dark Magic, it's turning me into a mo-"

"Do not dare, Twilight Sparkle," the former tyrant growled, a note of anger entering his tone. "If there is anypony around here that knows a thing or two about being a monster, it is the self-declared King of them. You made a mistake, it is what ponies do. I know you can overcome this and you know it, too. You are the one who gave me a second chance, who showed me that our past actions need not define our future. Feeling sorry for yourself is not going to change the past. There is nothing you can do about the mistakes you have made unless you push forward and learn to fix them."

Sombra lifted her head with a tendril of shadow as he continued so that she looked him in the eyes. "You are not a monster, Twilight. You have one inside you, just like everypony else." For a moment, his voice was filled with regret, revealing beyond a doubt that he spoke from experience. "The only way to become a monster is to stop fighting back." Just as quickly, his usual confident grin was back on his face. "The only way to tame that monster is to become it... and to force it to become you."

Author's Note:

And there we go! Sombra struggling to understand his feelings and Twilight struggling with her own mind. At least everypony's okay... well, except for the Changelings, but they are not in any condition to be complaining any time soon.

Also, some new cover art for the big twist. :twilightsmile:

Will Sombra be able to help Twilight regain control completely? What of Luna's growing suspicions? Find out in future chapters of 'A Somber Tale'!

PreviousChapters Next