• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,206 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,206

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Through The Looking Glass

"Sister, how are you feeling?" Luna asked as the royal physician finished bandaging Celestia's wounds.

Meanwhile, Twilight was fretting over the injured princess. All thoughts of Dark Magic and secrets forgotten, she once more felt like a young student, concerned only for her teacher's well-being. "Princess Celestia, can I get you anything? Tea? A cold compress?"

"Cake?" Pinkie Pie suggested, wheeling out a cart laden with a pink cake, the words 'Glad you aren't mangled or anything...' written on it in icing.

"Where does she get these?" Applejack wondered aloud.

"I've stopped asking," Rainbow Dash replied.

"I'm fine, thank you, everypony," Celestia replied.

Luna, however, was having none of that. "FINE!?" She shouted, her horn a hairsbreadth from her sister's, furious now that she knew Celestia was not in danger. "You tumble out of a magical mirror into a seemingly lifeless heap and you're fine? Where have you been? What happened?"

"I was... in another world," Celestia admitted. "I was attacked." For the first time that Twilight could remember, the wise and confident ruler of Equestria sounded... ashamed.

"We saw King Sombra in the mirror," Fluttershy said. "Fortunately, Black Knight kept him from coming through. Was he the one who attacked you?"

"What? NO! Of course he didn't!" Celestia protested, to the surprise of everypony in the room. "He'd never... I mean..."

'I beg to differ,' Sombra thought, enjoying the sight of Celestia injured, from where he observed the proceedings at the back of the room. 'I am actually disappointed that I did not get to do that to you myself.'

"Uh, Princess?" Applejack asked in confusion. "He'd never what?"

"Of course he would," Rainbow Dash spoke up, "he's a villain!"

"No, he's not," Celestia said. "Not where I was."

"What?" Twilight asked in surprise. "Princess, what's going on?"

"I'd like to know that myself," Luna added, still visibly annoyed at her sister.

"The mirror I poured out of earlier was one of several crafted by Starswirl the Bearded," Celestia explained. "Each leads to a different, fixed world. This one was a prototype, able to travel to any other world but only with the right spell. I was... visiting... one of those worlds. A world so like our own, but so different. Sombra is the king of that Equestria, and there he is a kind and wonderful ruler of his ponies. Something has happened that is too closely binding our worlds together. His fight against Evil is beginning to encroach on our world, as well."

"Then I shall go into this other world and smite the enemy!" Luna declared, her horseshoes giving off a metallic clink as she smacked her front hooves together. "I've been anxious for a good scuffle for months!"

Is that you talking, Princess, or does the Nightmare want to come out and play? I know I do...

Twilight could not suppress a slight wince as she glanced towards Sombra. However, she relaxed as she remembered that he no longer had a connection to her mind.

What's the matter, Twilight? Worried that he might prefer me over a goody-goody like you?

"Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight's head jerked up at the sound of her name.

"I need you and your friends to take the Elements of Harmony through the mirror," Celestia explained, unaware of her student's distraction. "They may be the only hope for saving his world."

"Are the Elements even necessary?" Twilight asked. "If King Sombra is good and rules there, can't he defeat the threat? After all, he almost beat the two of you in this world."

Luna shot her a reproachful look, but Celestia's expression just turned sad. "The Sombra of that world does not use Dark Magic, nor is he the ruthless tyrant that we fought. The evil that is threatening his subjects, they are villains of unimaginable power, but they are not infallible. I have faith that the power of the Elements will allow you to prevail."

"What's an infallible?" Pinkie asked of nopony in particular.

"And just why can you and I not do this ourselves?" Luna demanded of her sister, her irritation only growing. "I know a thing or two about powerful yet flawed malefactors."

"Hey! Another word I don't know!" Pinkie Pie said as she paged through a dictionary. "This is fun!"

"Where-" Applejack began, pointing a hoof at the book that Pinkie had pulled from... somewhere.

"Shh." Rainbow Dash just calmly pushed her friend's hoof down. "Just ignore it."

"Luna, we cannot go because we are the evil that is encroaching upon that land," Celestia explained. "We... we're the villains."

Rainbow Dash scoffed, "Pfft, Princess Luna's been there, done that. What's the big deal?"

"Ahem," Luna said with a glare at the pegasus, prompting Applejack and Spike to slap hoof and claw over their friend's mouth. Turning back to her sister, the younger princess went on. "Not to quote the rainbow-haired one, but yes, I have 'been there, done that'. I will gladly take up the mantle and fight this battle... against evil me... and evil you..." Luna paused for a moment in thought, before adding, "Actually, the thought of an evil you makes me quite giddy. I'd rather like to see it."

"Luna, I said 'no'," Celestia stated firmly.

Translation; I may have been the one to screw up, but remember your place or I'll send you back to the moon for a few centuries. Such a benevolent ruler we have.

Twilight focused on Celestia's words as the princess went on. "There's been a shift in both worlds that has linked us too closely. I dare not return so soon after this past visit and deepen that bond. And I think it best to keep you here, as well."

"Hmph, very well," Luna conceded, though her expression made it clear she was unhappy about it.

"What difference are we going to make?" Rarity asked. "Are we not bound to both worlds as well?"

"After much thought, I don't think so," Celestia said. "The Elements of Harmony do not exist in that universe. You should all be able to go and help without adding to the rift."

"Princess..." Twilight said hesitantly. "You're asking us to fight you. I... I don't know if I could-"

"Ah, but is that not what you have a knight for, my lady?" Sombra spoke up for the first time. "Such an unpleasant task should not fall on you. Please, allow me to take care of this for you."

You just want an opportunity to see Evil Celestia, too.

'You just want an opportunity to fight Celestia without getting in trouble,' Twilight thought at the same time, only to wince at how similar her thought was to that of voice that sounded so much like her own.

"Actually, I would like you to stay here, Black Knight," Celestia said, her tone unusually cold when compared to how she had spoken to the stallion before. "Sending these six through is risk enough."

"I am afraid I must insist on at least accompanying Lady Twilight," Sombra insisted. "I will not risk a repeat of the last time she faced danger without me at her side."

What a shame, a repeat is just what I was hoping for.

'Shut up!' Twilight thought in frustration, rubbing a hoof against her head. However, Sombra's comment had prompted others to glance in her direction, so the reaction was not missed this time.

"Are you alright, Twilight?" Celestia asked.

"Oh! Um, I'm fine," Twilight said quickly.

"Are you now?" Luna muttered, a knowing look in her eyes.

Sombra placed a comforting hoof on her shoulder, before looking back pointedly at Celestia. The alicorn's expression softened as she said, "Very well, then. The seven of you-"

"Eight!" Spike insisted.

"-Eight shall go through the mirror," Celestia allowed. "Now, I'm afraid the time for talking is over. We must hurry."

"Of course," Twilight replied. "Spike, go retrieve the Elements and bring them here as soon as possible."

"Right away!" Spike said as he dashed from the room.


Once Spike had returned, the group gathered around the mirror. While Spike had been gone, Celestia had taught Twilight the necessary spell to travel to the relevant alternate dimension.

"Send me a message through Spike if you run into any trouble," Celestia said to Twilight as the others began passing through the mirror, 'Black Knight' in the lead. "King Sombra will be waiting for you in the castle on the other side of the portal."

"Don't worry, Princess. We won't fail you," Twilight said, as she leapt through the portal, as well. The last thing she heard before passing through was Luna's voice.

"And now, dear sister, you and I are going to have a little chat about all this."

And then Twilight was through the mirror and a vortex of color enveloped her.

After a moment, her eyes adjusted and she could see her friends falling through the tunnel between dimensions alongside her, their coats and manes seeing to shift colors before her eyes.

Despite the visual maelstrom, it was eerily silent. Perhaps to break that, Rainbow Dash wondered aloud, "What if our mirror selves are all mixed up? Like... here I'm a unicorn? That would be awesome!"

"What if you're an earth pony?" Spike asked.

"Yawn, boring!" The pegasus replied with a roll of her eyes, drawing an indignant "HEY!" from Applejack.

And then, in a rush of sound and vertigo, they were through, all tumbled in a pile. All except Sombra, who had managed to avoid the others through a quick shift into Shadowform and back. As they others stood up and got their bearings, they were shocked by the sight that greeted them.

"Oh my..." Fluttershy gasped.

"Is that... Canterlot?" Twilight asked. As far as the eye could see was nothing but dead trees, dry and cracked ground, damaged grey walls, and rundown buildings. "It's so... bleak. Things must be really bad here."

"Is this what our Equestria will look like if we fail?" Rarity asked worriedly.

"Ah sure hope not," Applejack said.

"What are you lot doing here?"

The group turned towards the front gate to see a pair of guards in sleek, black armor approaching. Twilight stepped forward and said, "We're here to help-"

"Hold it!" One of the guards shouted as he got a better look at the group. "It's those hooligans from Ponyville! Arrest them!"

Before they could take another step, Sombra was in front of them. "Stand down, both of you," he said in a commanding tone.

The guard's eyes widened and they were quick to kneel. "Our apologies, your majesty. We were not aware that you already had the situation in hand."

Rarity leaned over and whispered to Twilight, "Who would have thought Black Knight's resemblance to King Sombra would actually come in handy."

"Hehe, yeah," Twilight replied, suddenly worried about how well that excuse would work once her friends saw the two Sombras side-by-side.

"You will escort us to the throne room immediately," Sombra ordered one of the guards, easily falling back into the role of king. To the other, he said, "You will return to your post in the meantime."

"Yes, your majesty," the guards replied in unison.

Within minutes they had reached the castle, Sombra and the guard leading the way. Trailing behind, the mares began to talk among themselves.

"The route to the throne room seems to be the same as the other Canterlot," Applejack commented.

"Could there be more alternate universes out there?" Twilight wondered as she looked up at the stained glass windows they were passing. One showed the Flim Flam brothers wearing judges robes, with the word 'Fairness' underneath. Another showed Trixie as an alicorn princess, with 'Humility' below it. There was even one of Chrysalis labeled 'Love'.

"OH! OH!" Pinkie Pie piped up. "What if, in another dimension, we all walk around on two legs and have opposable thumbs like Spike!?"

"Pinkie, isn't that a bit silly even for you?" Rarity asked. "Next you're going to say there's no magic there. Blegh."

"What is the meaning of this!?"

Hearing the shout of the guard, the mares rushed into the throne room, only to pull up short at the sight that greeted them.

Standing before 'Black Knight' was the King Sombra of that world, the guard looking between the two in confusion. While both had the same grey coat and emerald green eyes, their clothes and mane-styles could not be more different. Where 'Black Knight' wore only a plain cloak with his mane a wild mess, the king before him wore a royal cape and crown, with his mane cut short and swept back neatly.

After getting over his shock at seeing 'Black Knight', King Sombra smiled politely and said, "I must admit that when Celestia said she would send help, I certainly didn't expect this."

Author's Note:

And there we go! Took long enough, but we're FINALLY in the Reflections universe! I honestly thought this would take longer, but you can thank the new Equestria Girls movie for fixing that. :twilightsmile:

Will 'Black Knight's' true identity be revealed to Twilight's friends? Will Twilight and her friends be able to prevent further damage to both dimensions? Find out in future chapters of 'A Somber Tale'!

PreviousChapters Next