• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,107 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,107

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Smoke and Mirrors

As the moon rose high in the sky, the King stood out at the edge of the woods, silent, his face filled with conflicting feelings.

"Luna!" The single name echoed out into the air. He knew he was being watched. There was no doubt in his mind that every tree had eyes and ears from both sides of this war. And with the newest wild card that had been thrown into the mix it was quite possible that he was being watched by the shadows themselves. In the end, it did not matter, he trusted his beloved. If she believed that his counterpart would be a danger she would not have sent him. And he truly cared not if the world heard what he had to say. The sound of gentle wings announced that she had come at his call even before he saw her. She was back in similar gaudy clothes to what he had seen her in millennia ago. It was all too fancy, ornamental, and far far too much red, black and mascara. nothing like the simple flowing robes she wore but only a few years ago.

The dark alicorn landed gently before him, for a brief moment as their eyes met he could have sworn that her serious facade cracked and that he could see regret in her eyes. but she was a professional and as quickly as it came it was gone, leaving all the world wondering if it was there at all. "Sombra... Why have you come here?"

"I have come to speak with an old friend, and to plead with her to change her ways..." Sombra explained.

A sneer spread across the alicorn's face. "I am afraid to tell you, but your plea falls on deaf-"

"Luna, please... Why do you continue to fight? Your sister does not control you, she is in chains and awaiting fair trial. I beg of you Luna, as your friend, please turn away from all this. Come back with me, and all shall be forgiven, your crimes, your betrayal. It'll be as if you never left. There is no reason for you to continue to fight me." Sombra spoke to his best friend, pleading for sanity. For a second it appeared as if his words had struck true and that she would finally snap back to her senses and apologize.

But it was not to be. "We both know that fairness is not your strong suit 'king'." The mocking words scraped the inside of his skull as none other then Empress Cadenza waltzed into the middle of the clearing and their conversation. "With the amount of lives to your name, I have no doubt that she will find her sister on the chopping block within a week. Isn't that right, Sombra the Executioner?"

"Ah Cadenza..." The King greeted the newcomer. "If I had known that queen Amore had an heir, I would have ensured that it would have been more then just her body that was flung from the battlements."

The mad mare gave a fake gasp "Why, Sombra, it is so nice to see you, too! I am so glad to have the honor to be in your presence." He could hear her gag slightly as she finished the sentence. "Now, I am so glad you could come and meet as friends but I'm afraid that Luna shall be coming with me, not you. For you see when this is all over, only I can give her what her heart desires more then anything else in this world. And, unfortunately, she can't get that if she leaves with you. Now come along, Luna, the end of this war draws near."

There was a lengthy pause as Luna fought an internal struggle before at last she turned to follow Cadence. "You are correct... Our victory draws near, indeed."

Sombra felt his heart crumble as his plea failed. "Luna!" She turned to look at him, but he knew that she was set on her way, the stubborn mare that she was. "You are, and always will be, my friend. I promise that you will see the end of this war, and you shall receive a fair trial."

He didn't expect anything from her but as she took off, she surprised him once more. "...Thank you."


As the sun rose the next day, many ponies were already hard at work preparing for the oncoming attack. With all of Canterlot warned of the invasion, civilians stockpiled supplies while the Royal Guard officers gave their troops final orders for defending the city. The Thunderbolts, a group of pegasi athletes that supported the Royal Guard in times of war, had been sent north to gather further information on the enemy and to provide advance warning when Cadenza's army drew close.

Twilight and her friends had gathered with the Guardians on the city's outer wall to discuss their specific roles in the coming battle. King Sombra had spread out a map of the city and surrounding area and opened the discussion. "We need to end this quickly. Normally, the city's position on the side of the mountain would make it ideal to fight defensively and let the enemy wear themselves out. However, after all of the damage caused by the Two Sisters over the last couple of years, Canterlot simply does not have the supplies to withstand a protracted siege. We could keep everypony fed for a week at most, two if we began rationing immediately. We might be able to stretch it out to a month if we restricted supplies to military personnel only..."

"Although we would never even consider abandoning your subjects like that, right?" Chrysalis asked pointedly.

"...Of course not," the king replied, although his hesitation was telling. "Regardless, if we can finish this in one decisive battle, supplies won't become an issue."

"Couldn't Discord just make more food?" Twilight asked.

"If he wanted to, Sir Discord could defeat that entire army by sneezing," Trixie said. "Trixie hates to criticize others, but he could really take some lessons from Captain Goodguy on using his magic to actually help out."

"Sadly, neither one has been seen since last night," King Sombra said. "I believe Discord said something about telling a human about a crown to 'set things up'. I have no idea what a 'human' is, but it'd better be important if it meant he couldn't help with this."

"Come now, you know that layabout never does anything unless it amuses him," Chrysalis said. "We knew he'd never actually help with this battle. That's why you asked our guests to stay, isn't it?"

The king just sighed and said, "I suppose that's true."

"We hardly need the draconequus," his counterpart chimed in. "Twilight or I could handle an army of ordinary ponies single-hoofedly. The only real threats will be the alicorns."

"You're right," Chrysalis said. "However, we want to avoid as many casualties as possible on both sides. Cadenza is the one to blame, not those poor ponies that follow her."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

"Empress Cadenza's special talent is Love Magic," Trixie explained. "Rather than using it to help others, she abuses it, forcing ponies to fall so deeply in love with her that they will obey her every command. They would throw their lives away at her slightest whim, kill somepony just to see her smile. Trixie thinks it is sickening."

"Agreed. Nonetheless, it only reinforces what we must do," the king said. "We must deal with Cadenza and Luna as swiftly as possible, or at least break Cadenza's spell. Once Cadenza is dealt with, the army will have no more reason to fight. Indeed, they'll likely side with us against those two, given half a chance. However, unlike the Two Sisters, Cadenza is no fighter. She will be safely at the back of her troops, away from the combat, and her army will fight to the last to keep anypony from reaching her."

The other Sombra chuckled. "In that case, you are lucky I am here. My Shadowform spell will let me pass through her army untouched. This 'war' will likely last all of five minutes, once they arrive."

"Then I'm coming with you," Twilight said, continuing before any of them could object. "I know the Shadowform spell, too, and she will have Luna with her. Or did you forget what happened last time you fought two alicorns without back-up?"

Sombra grimaced at the reminder but made no objection. Others, however, did.

"Whoa, you can't leave us behind again!" Rainbow Dash was the first to protest.

"She's right, sugarcube, we're sticking with ya this time," Applejack added.

"Yeah, my party cannon's locked and loaded!" Pinkie said with a grin.

Twilight shook her head. "No, none of you girls would make it through her army. Besides, while we go after Cadance and Luna, the citizens of Canterlot need to be protected. If I have to worry about that while fighting alicorns..."

"Oh, don't you fret, darling," Rarity replied. "We'll make sure not a single one of those ruffians gets into the city."

"Just stay safe, Twilight," Fluttershy added anxiously. "I... I don't think I'll be much help with the fighting, so I'll be helping the medics patch up anypony that gets hurt.

"Well then, I better go see if these 'Thunderbolts' can match up to our world's Wonderbolts!" Rainbow Dash declared.

"Ah suppose Ah can help shore up the front lines," Applejack suggested. "Ah ain't killing nopony, but a swift kick or two ought to put some down for the count."

"And I'll be mannin' the cannons, arr!" Said Pinkie, who had somehow managed to put on an eyepatch and pirate hat without anypony noticing.

"I knew I could count on you girls!" Twilight said with a smile.

"Well, if that's decided, then we should all get into position," King Sombra declared. Turning to his counterpart, he said, "I would suggest finding someplace outside the city from which to strike. We Guardians and your friends will distract our foes and keep the main army busy. One way or another this war ends today, and success or failure hinges on your actions."

"But no pressure, right?" Twilight replied, as she and the other Sombra turned away, and began walking towards the gate.


As the Crystal Empire army began its final approach, King Sombra addressed his own forces. "For centuries, we have fought against the forces of Evil. Every day, we have striven to protect the ponies and lands that we love. And every day we have lost another inch. Another brother, another sister, another child or parent... another friend... corrupted or worse, treating us like the enemy or never seen again. Some have begun to wonder if this fight is futile, if we shouldn't just give in. HOWEVER! We have stood firm in our convictions and have held our ground! We have remained steadfast, courageous, and determined down to the last! We are the Guardians of Harmony and Equestria's Royal Guard! And at last, our efforts have been rewarded!

"Just yesterday, Queen Celestia was brought low, stripped of her power, and now wallows in Canterlot's dungeon. Although our current foes will fight with the fervor of zealots, they will be drained from a day's forced march. We have fought for justice for centuries but we can end this war today! We can win this war today!

"And always remember, troops...

"There is no emotion, there is peace."

His voice hung in the air ringing true as he recalled the mantra of his race.

"There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

He turned to face the Alicorns and their army.

"There is no passion, there is serenity."

He drew his sword, its crystal blade glittering in he sun.

"There is no chaos, there is harmony."

He raised his sword, the tension of his forces a palpable thing behind him.

"There is no death, there is magic!"

He swung the blade down and his Royal Guard charged forward with a unified cry, clashing against the opposing army before Canterlot's gates.


"I must say, I am impressed," Sombra said as he watched the the two forces advancing upon each other.

"Yeah, I've read about army warfare before but never seen anything like this," Twilight agreed.

"I was actually talking about you, my dear student," Sombra replied with a smirk

Twilight frowned as she asked, "What do you mean?"

"I was referring to how well you handled your friends' objections. Expressing concern for their safety while pointing out the futility of them joining us, appealing to them for aid, and finally playing on their guilt for potentially causing you distractions when your life is at risk. Even I am impressed by such wily manipulation," the stallion explained, pausing to let the young mare protest his assumption.

However, her response caught him off guard. Twilight wore a guilty expression as she said, "I know tricking them wasn't right, but I had to keep them safe, no matter what. I can apologize to them later but only if they are alive and well." Twilight squared her shoulders before looking at him with a determined expression. "I don't care how much I have to dirty my hooves, as long as it means my family and friends are safe. I'll do whatever it takes," she gave a slight smirk, "even learning from a former tyrant."

Sombra regarded her in silence for a moment. "Just when I think you could not get any better, you surprise me again and again," he replied. An uncharacteristically warm smile spread across his face as he added, "Truly, I could not ask for a more wonderful mare to stand by my side."

"W-What!?" Twilight exclaimed, a blush rising across her cheeks.

Before more could be said, the sound of a cannon echoed in the distance.

"There's the signal. Time to get to work," Sombra said with a eager grin.

"Wait!" Twilight protested. "You can't just say something like that and-"

Sombra just shot her a roguish grin, before shifting into Shadowform and taking off towards their targets.

Scowling in annoyance, Twilight hurried to follow suit.


"See, Luna? I told you not to worry," Empress Mi Amore Cadenza said confidently, as she reclined in the opulent litter she had been carried the majority of the distance from the Crystal Empire in. "My legion outnumbers his pathetic Royal Guard four to one, even with their irritating aerial support. The mistake you and your sister made was trying to do everything yourselves. Admirable, don't get me wrong, but now that I'm here, I suspect Canterlot will fall without us even needing to lift a hoof."

"Do not underestimate King Sombra," Luna said firmly. "He may be honorable and prefer a fair fight, but he is no fool. Have no illusions, he has a plan."

"Why, is that respect I hear?" Cadenza said with a sneer. "Surely you don't still carry a torch for him, even after he left you for your sister?"

"That mare is NOT my sister, as you well know," Luna snapped back. "She is from another world, as is several of Sombra's current allies, including the ones who felled Celestia."

"So you say, but what evidence do we have that they aren't just some of that fool Chrysalis' children? Telling a Changeling apart is hardly an easy task, after all," the empress argued. "Those bugs are incredibly annoy-"

"Your highness, look out!" Cried a blue haired stallion, as he leapt between Cadenza and the tendril of shadow that had shot towards her without warning. The stallion was tossed to the side, but not before purple crystals were embedded in his horn, sealing his magic. A moment later, the shadow coalesced into the form of Twilight Sparkle.

"I've come to end this, Cadence!" Twilight declared, her Dark Magic flaring around her.

"You!?" Luna snarled, surging forward... only to pull up short as Sombra returned from Shadowform between the alicorn and the target of her ire.

"Lady Twilight has business with her sister-in-law, so please give them some space. Besides," Sombra's grin turned sinister as he spoke, "you have no idea how long I have wanted thrash somepony who looks exactly like you."

"Funny, I've been harboring some ill will towards your own double," Luna said with a glare.

In a surge of darkness, Sombra's shadow lashed out, only to meet thin air as Luna spread her wings and took to the sky. The alicorn retaliated with a beam of magic from her horn, which Sombra simply let passed through him by briefly turning into Shadowform. Returning to his corporeal form, Sombra’s eyes flashed with Dark Magic, causing the eyes of the alicorn to glow the same colors as he locked her in a Trauma Prison. With a quick burst of magic, Luna broke free...

But not in time to dodge the stallion's next attack, which Crystallized one of her wings.

With a cry of pain, Luna crashed into the ground, tendrils of shadow restraining her before she could recover. "They say that an old dog cannot learn new tricks," Sombra said, as he loomed over her.

"To Tartarus with you, you thrice cursed dastard!" Luna snarled, charging her horn with magic for another attack.

Rather than retreating, Sombra simply leaned forward, pressing his horn against hers and whispering as he did, "Which is why I am glad that I am no dog."

Luna's expression turned into one of confusion, before shifting to horror. A scream of shock and agony was ripped from her throat, as Sombra pulled and her magic was torn from her bound form.


"I've come to end this, Cadence!" Twilight declared as she stared down her sister-in-law's twisted reflection. She heard Luna called out to her but did not even look in her direction, already feeling Sombra moving to intercept thanks to her newfound ability to Sense Magic.

"Oh my, I'm quite impressed," the empress replied, looking and sounding completely unconcerned by the sudden attack. "Armor might not be on par with an alicorn, but he is my personal bodyguard for a reason. To dispatch him so swiftly is no mean feat." Stretching languidly, she settled further into the cushions upon which she rested. "I'm sure I've seen you somewhere before. Would you care for some tea whilst I attempt to recall where?"

Twilight blinked in surprise at the unexpectedly friendly response. "T-Tea?"

"Of course. I see no reason that mares of refinement like us need brawl like pubescent stallions," Cadenza answered smoothly as she poured two cups of tea. "Speaking of stallions, I've seen you around Armor from time to time, haven't I?" Without giving the younger mare a chance to reply, she went on, "His older sister? No, you're his younger sibling, surely."

"That... That has nothing to do with this!" Twilight said, shaking her head to clear her thoughts.

"Of course not," Cadenza replied, her kindly smile and pink-glowing gaze full of patience. "Who you're related to has absolutely no bearing on us sharing a cup of tea. Come, sit. Would you like any cream or sugar?"

"Some... Some sugar, I suppose," Twilight replied, approaching unsteadily as she tried to remember why she had been reluctant to spend time with such a nice mare.

"Excellent," the empress said, as she began preparing a third cup. "I take it you will be joining us as well, your highness?"

"Indeed, it would ill behoove me to miss such an opportunity," Sombra said as he joined them.

"Sombra!? You... you took care of Luna already?" Twilight asked with a smile. 'I can't think straight,' she thought, 'but there's no way we can lose if we're together.'

"Of course," the stallion said with a smirk. "Last time, I only lost because she had Celestia backing her up the whole time. I'm stronger now, so it's obvious she never could've beaten me by herself."

Twilight's smile fell. A moment later, she released a blast of Dark Magic, disrupting the illusion and Crystallizing the stallion that had been impersonating the former tyrant.

"What!?" Cadenza exclaimed as she fell back in shock, dropping the container of poison that had been disguised as sugar only moments before. "Nopony has every seen through my Love Blind spell before! How-"

Twilight cut her off by wrapping a tendril of shadow around the alicorn's neck before she could put Twilight under her spell again. "Two reasons, actually. First, It was actually Luna, turned temporarily into Nightmare Moon, that defeated Sombra a thousand years ago, while her sister was unconscious."

"But.... my spies..." the empress managed to gasp, desperate to know how her plans could have gone awry.

"Until Luna told me recently, she and Sombra were the only ones to know the truth, although Celestia may have suspected it," Twilight explained with a smug smile. "Besides, as I said, there was another reason. My Sombra doesn't use contractions unless he's incredibly distracted."

"Well spotted, my dear," the real Sombra said, as he tossed the insensate form of Luna to the ground at their feat. "Although, I would like to think I am far more handsome and witty than any mere facsimile. Now, I believe the good empress offered you a refreshment. I would suggest avoiding the tea, but perhaps she has something else you could 'drink'."

Turning back towards the captive alicorn, Twilight flashed her newly grown fangs in an almost vampiric smile, as she reached out with her magic for Cadenza's own. As she pulled, she tuned out the alicorn's scream with the thought, 'I really shouldn't take anypony else's magic. As amazing as this feels, now that I've got the hang of it, this could get dangerously addicting...'


When Twilight and Sombra returned to Canterlot, celebrations were already in full swing. The Zealots had never breached the city walls and casualties on both sides had been nearly nonexistent. So, while the hospitals would be busy for some time to come caring for the injured, there was little in the way of repairs to be done, and much to be grateful for.

Former Crystal Slaves mingles with Royal Guard and citizen alike, and the duo quickly found themselves swept up in the crowd. Their return was not heralded by trumpets or any sort of fanfare and Twilight was alright with that.

"I wish they had at least acknowledged us when we got back," Sombra grumbled, as if knowing her thoughts.

"You know full well that I didn't do this for recognition," Twilight said. "Personally, I just want to make sure my friends are all okay and then call it a night."

However, their anonymity was shattered the moment they entered the castle and Twilight found herself the final participant in a six mare group hug.

"They were quite worried about her," a familiar voice as a pony stepped up beside Sombra.

"I doubt anypony needs to worry about Twilight Sparkle, she is well capable of taking care of herself. That said, I will continue to serve and protect her, regardless of need," Sombra said. "Of course, I imagine your own feelings are similar, aren't they, Princess Celestia?"

"I certainly care for her deeply, although perhaps not the same way as yourself, Black Knight," the princess replied.

"Indeed. Might I ask what you are doing here?" Sombra asked.

"Luna agreed to watch over our Equestria today. With the portal stabilized, I came through to make certain everything was under control," Celestia explained. Smiling, she added, "From what I understand, I have you to thank on both of those accounts."

"Preposterous," Sombra replied. "It was Lady Twilight's power and skill that saw us through this hardship. I merely supported her."

"Trying to make me jealous, dear?" King Sombra said as he approached.

"Allow me to excuse myself," the other Sombra said, stepping away from the King and Princess. However, as he stepped away, he kept an ear on what they said.

"Have you spoken to her recently?" King Sombra asked.

"I'm afraid she still isn't answering my messages," Celestia replied. "If nothing changes, than I fear the worst for her."

"If there is anything I can do, you merely need say the word. With events settled here, she could live like the princess she deserves to be," the king offered.

"I will try to get through to her, but I know not how successful I will be," Celestia said sadly. "It would seem that I am just as bad a mother as I am a sister."

"Worry not, dear light, I'm sure our little Sunset will come around one of these days," King Sombra replied.

Suddenly, Sombra was drawn away from his eavesdropping by Twilight's approach. "What are you standing around here for? Come join us! Or did you forget that you're their friend now, too?" Twilight asked, gesturing to the five mares (and one baby dragon) waiting for them.

Sombra did not reply immediately, simply staring at Twilight in the afternoon sun. Twilight stared back uncertainly, before shivering in a sudden breeze. 'A daughter, huh? Perhaps a daughter would not be so bad,' the former tyrant thought. Lifting his shadow from the ground, Sombra draped it over Twilight's shoulders, leaving a pitch black scarf around her neck. "We had best go join them, then." As they rejoined the others, comments of admiration came for Twilight's new accessory from her friends.

It would not be until much later that Twilight realized one of her friends was less than happy to see such a gift produced so easily...

Author's Note:

And there we go! After far, far too long, I can finally bring you the double length chapter I promised for 500 likes and with it bring the Reflections arc to a close. Needless to say, given how differently it turned out from canon, this may not be the last we see of this world...

You can thank DarthVendar for the update coming as soon as it did. They helped me with a lot of ideas, and even a couple scenes for this chapter.

Who is this 'mysterious' daughter Celestia mentioned (and why has she never appeared in the main show)? Why is one of Twilight's friends upset with Sombra' gift? Find out in future chapters of A Somber Tale!

PreviousChapters Next