• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,198 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,198

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Conflicting Priorities

Princess Luna was no stranger to being deep in thought. Some might even claim that she thought too much. Given that long nights of having little to do but think had contributed to the creation of Nightmare Moon, she really could not say such claims were inaccurate. Sometimes, however, Luna felt that she was not overthinking things but, rather, that nopony else was thinking enough.

Like when her sister decided to bring Twilight back into Canterlot before finding out if the Dark Magic user was at risk of having another homicidal episode.

Luna knew that as a princess, she should have been above spying on others but followed Twilight and Black Knight, nonetheless, expertly remaining out of the pair’s sight as she silently tailed them from the rooftops.


Having calmed down some, Twilight walked with Sombra through the city, taking a meandering route to the castle to buy more time to collect herself. She kept her head down, trying to avoid showing her eyes to passersby, knowing even without a mirror that they still glowed with Dark Magic, as they had since she lost control the previous night.

“Should we ask the Princess if she would like to join us?” Sombra asked, trying to distract his student from her depression.

“No, from what you’ve told me of the attack, the last few days have been as stressful for her as anypony else. I have no idea what Luna’s up to but let her have her fun for now,” Twilight replied, the pair having Sensed the powerful princess the moment she started following them.

“Woah, there, folks. I’m gonna need ya to stay back. This area ain’t safe yet,” A stallion in a hardhat and orange vest said as he stepped in front of them. He tossed a worried glance at Twilight’s glowing eyes but stood his ground.

Looking ahead, the pair saw ponies in similar outfits working on a building that had been heavily damaged in the battle against the cockatrices.

Gaining a thoughtful expression, Sombra asked, “Are you the one in charge here?”

“Yeah, why do ya ask?” The stallion said in confusion.

“I would like you to have your workers take a short break,” Sombra said in the tone of one used to being obeyed. “I have a spell that should speed things along but you don’t want any of them to be caught in it.”

The foreman frowned at what sounded suspiciously like an order from the strange stallion but shrugged it off after a moment. “Eh, whatever. We get paid as long as the job gets done, so knock yourself out,” he replied before moving towards the damaged building and shouting,

“Alright, everypony, take five!”

As the workers began to disperse, Twilight turned to Sombra and asked in a curious tone, “What are you doing?”

Moving a bit closer to the building, Sombra grinned as he answered. “Just giving you a little reminder, Twilight, since you seem to have forgotten the goal you set out to accomplish.”

Without further explanation, Sombra’s eyes began to glow with Dark Magic before he fired a beam of it from his horn that enveloped the building, drawing cries of shock from the nearest workers. However, the onlookers fell into awed silence as the effects of his spell became apparent. Cracks closed up and holes filled in. Boards and nails simply appeared in place. Glass filled the windows and shingles seemed to grow from the roof. Even a fresh coat of paint bled out of the wood to cover the walls.

In a matter of moments, the building went from unstable to looking better than it did before the attack.

Letting his magic fade, Sombra turned to Twilight, only to see her wearing the same expression of shock and awe that the other onlookers did. “Have you forgotten what you set out to do, Twilight?” Sombra asked. “To overcome the reputation of Dark Magic and prove that it could be used to aid others. Are you going to simply give up on achieving your goal after just one slip of control? I had thought you better than that.”

“How… How did you do all of that?” Twilight asked.

Raising an eyebrow in confusion, Sombra said, “With the Manifestation spell, of course. I thought you had already learned the basics of-”

“No, I mean, how did you do all of that?” Twilight cut him off. “I can make crystals just fine, but making any one other material takes all my concentration. Wood, metal, glass, shingles, paint… how did you make five different materials at the same time? You’ve got to tell me!”

Sombra blinked in surprise, before grinning once more. Surprised and eager to learn was a significant step up from Twilight being immersed in despair and self-loathing. Even if it was only a temporary distraction. “I said I had mastered the art of multitasking, did I not? It’s simply a matter of dividing your attention, something that will come with time and practice,” he said. “Speaking of, I’m sure this was not the only building that needs to be repaired.”

Grinning eagerly, Twilight turned to the construction worker. “Is there anything you need?” Twilight asked. “I might not be able to fix an entire house but I can help with supplies if you need.”

“Uuh,” the foreman replied dumbly, staring at the strange but obviously powerful pair of ponies in surprise. After a moment he gained a thoughtful expression as he said, “Actually, I just had a delivery pony drop a shipment o’ windows before ya showed up. Ya said ya can make crystal, right? I know more than a few ponies that’d love to have crystal windows.”

Instantly, Twilight’s magic lashed out at an empty spot on the ground, a smooth rectangle of clear crystal appearing there, followed by another atop it, the process continuing until the stack was as tall as she was. “Is that enough?” Twilight asked.

A smattering of applause broke out from the watching ponies as they got over their shock of Sombra’s initial display. “That’s more than enough,” the stallion in charge said with a smile of his own. Turning, he called out. “Looks like it’s your lucky day, Ms. Hooves. You’re in the clear, thanks to this pair.”

Before Twilight could react, a grey pegasus suddenly landed in front of her shaking one of her hooves vigorously and saying, “Oh, thank you, Twilight! I didn’t know what I was going to do! I didn’t mean to drop the crate, it just slipped out of my hooves.”

“Wait a minute, you’re… Derpy, right?” Twilight asked, recognizing the pegasus mare. “What are you doing in Canterlot?”

“I was delivering some mail from Ponyville after the Changelings attacked but got stuck here because of the cockatrices,” she replied.

“I take it ya know these two, Ms. Hooves?” The foreman asked.

“Oh, yes!” Derpy Hooves said with a happy smile. “This is Twilight Sparkle, the smartest pony in all of Ponyville! She’s Princess Celestia’s personal student, after all. And Black Knight is the bravest and strongest stallion I’ve ever met. He saved me from the cockatrices when I got here.”

Twilight could not help a slight blush, as the pegasus’ words caused whispers to spread through the onlookers. Before she could say anything, Sombra spoke up in a serious tone, “Thank Lady Twilight, Ms. Hooves. As her knight, it was her wish that I come here.”

“I recognize ya now. You were the one fightin’ alongside the Princesses, weren’t ya?” The foreman said to ‘Black Knight’ before turning to Twilight. “Ya have our thanks, Lady Sparkle. A lot o’ ponies owe their lives to Black Knight for showin’ up when he did.”

"I-It was nothing," Twilight said quickly, a little embarrassed by all the attention. "Besides, I grew up here and my parents still live here. It's only natural that I do whatever I can to... protect... them..." A realization dawned on her, and she turned towards Sombra. "That's why you brought me over here, isn't it? To remind me why I started learning this to begin with; to protect the ponies I care for."

Grinning, Sombra replied, "The fact of the matter is, I would never have come to Canterlot during the attack if not for you. Any lives I saved are due to your choice. And considering these ponies were innocents, and not parasites, would you not say that balances the cost of me not accompanying you to face the Changelings?" Seeing his student nod slowly, he went on, "Now, come. I'm sure there are more repairs to be done that we can provide aid with."


"Amazing how quickly he calmed her down. Twilight was either panicking or depressed all the way back."

Luna jumped in surprise at the voice that suddenly came from beside her. She had been so focused on the pair of Dark Magic users that she never noticed that Celestia had landed next to her. "Sister, I did not notice you arrive," The younger princess said. "I thought you were debriefing the others up at the castle."

"I did," Celestia explained. "From what they told me, it seems Twilight entered some sort of Dark Magic induced berserker state when her life was threatened. Fortunately, that would mean that it should not be an issue as long as her life is not endangered again. What worries me is that they said her eyes changed, as well. I have no idea what that might mean and that in itself is concerning. Do you have any idea what such a change might mean?"

Luna hesitated as she considered the implications. "I'm not sure but it would be even further reason to keep an eye on those two. I think that perhaps..." Luna trailed off as she noticed Celestia staring wistfully towards the duo in question. "Sister, are you listening​ to me?"

"Hmm? I'm sorry, Luna. The last few days have been stressful and I find myself distracted," Celestia answered. "Let us discuss this more tomorrow. I have something I need to take care of." Without waiting for her sister to reply, Celestia flew off towards the castle, a determined expression on her face.

Luna ground her teeth in frustration. ‘What am I supposed to do now?’ She thought to herself. ‘On the one hoof, we have the possible return of one of the most dangerous stallions in history without anypony knowing about it, except possibly Twilight but if she does know then she isn’t telling anypony. On another hoof, we have Twilight herself, whose unstable mental condition and Dark Magic make her a bomb just waiting to go off. On the third hoof, we have my sister, who has been acting strangely ever since that stallion showed up. And on the other hoof, we have the fact that nopony but myself seems to have realized all of this!’ Luna glared enviously at the ponies passing by, going about their carefree lives unaware of such threats. As her Jealousy spiked, her pupils shifted into slits as her eyes took on a teal hue.

Closing her eyes, Luna took a deep breath to calm herself. When she opened them, her eyes had returned to normal. Casting one last look at Twilight and ‘Black Knight’, the princess turned to follow Celestia. ‘My sister comes first,’ Luna decided. ‘Besides, if I can resolve whatever is going on with her, then perhaps she can aid me in dealing with the other two.’

Trailing her sister, Luna frowned as she was led down below the castle. Eventually, she saw her sister pass through a pair of ornate doors. 'This is-!' Luna thought in surprise, before cutting herself off, 'What can my sister be doing down here? If there was something that could help Twilight, surely she would have just told me.'

As Celestia pushed through the doors, Luna followed her once more, passing bookshelves laden with scrolls and strange artifacts. Finally, she saw Celestia pull the cover off of a strange looking mirror and cast a spell.

And then Celestia stepped through the mirror.

Luna simply stared in shock, for a moment. "Sister?" She asked as she approached the mirror hesitantly. "...Celestia?" Jerking the mirror into the air with her magic, Luna shook it as she shouted in panic, "Sister! Get thine royal hindquarters back here this instant!"

When this failed to produce results, Luna gently set the mirror back down, all thoughts of Dark Magic washed away by concern for her sister. As worry flooded her mind, the princess could think of only one thing to say.

"Oh dear."

Author's Note:

And there we go! Those of you who have read the comics likely know where this leads. Some of you may be thinking, 'But Maltrazz, that's not what the next arc was. What about-?' Well, simply put, 'Black Knight' showing up got Celestia thinking about a certain stallion, and sped up the associated events.

Has Twilight really recovered from her loss of control so easily? What has happened to Celestia? Find out in future chapters of 'A Somber Tale'!

PreviousChapters Next